Smaug vs. Hogwarts

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Smaug vs. Hogwarts

Post by fgalkin »

Inspired by all the vs. Hogwarts threads. Could Smaug destroy Hogwarts and fry/eat all of its inhabbitants?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

Well it really depends on whether or not Smaug has any magic resistance. Dragons in the HP universe seem to have magic resistant skin but that probably doesn't carry over to the tolkien-verse.

Well anyways, if Smaug [/i]doesn't[/i] have magic resistant skin, then even a 2nd year would be able to immobolize him.

It's been a while since I've read the hobbit so could anyone answer this question?
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Im pretty sure Smaug was magic resistant.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Well 8-10 ministry wizards can stupeify a dragon so the 30-40 da members or the teachers should be able to deal with smaug. Though i would expect some causualties/structural dammage.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Wouldn't work. Hagrid would never let them hurt him. :twisted:
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Jawawithagun wrote:Wouldn't work. Hagrid would never let them hurt him. :twisted:
"Norbert! At last I've found ye!!!" :lol:
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

darthdavid wrote:Well 8-10 ministry wizards can stupeify a dragon so the 30-40 da members or the teachers should be able to deal with smaug. Though i would expect some causualties/structural dammage.
Um... Smaug is a wee bit more dangerous than the dragons they have in HP. :wink:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

And hundreds of students and 20-30 teachers are alot more powerful than 8-10 ministry wizzards.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I don't have detailed knowledge of the Potter-verse but I'd wager Smaug could eat them all. Dragons don't seem to be vulnerable to magic; it just doesn't seem to bother them much. And Smaug's mean enough to take the place out. He is one of the last dragons and is the last of the winged fire-drakes.

And lets face it, the Potter universe isn't that high up on the bad ass wizard scale.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Since Greyhawk was licensed into AD&D a while back, would using AD&D rules to decide this be alright? Smaug was an elder dragon, and they get up very high in the magic resistance area. Don't forget, Dragons have magic of their own.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

The smell of flambe'd mage will drift along the English countryside for weeks.
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

I'd give this one to Hogwarts. They have dealt with dragons before and mos of the staff and more reconizeable students seem up to it.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Admiral Johnason wrote:I'd give this one to Hogwarts. They have dealt with dragons before and mos of the staff and more reconizeable students seem up to it.
Not Tolkienverse Dragons, though. Rowlingverse dragons are puny creatures, thy are no match for Smaug.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

fgalkin wrote:
Admiral Johnason wrote:I'd give this one to Hogwarts. They have dealt with dragons before and mos of the staff and more reconizeable students seem up to it.
Not Tolkienverse Dragons, though. Rowlingverse dragons are puny creatures, thy are no match for Smaug.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Remember what took Smaug out? An arrow. One single arrow. Boromir took more punishment than that.

Of course, it was a special arrow of destiny shot by the last standing hero at Smaug's sole weak spot with a one-in-a-million (therefore guaranteed) chance of actually killing him. Nevertheless, it was a single arrow.

Smaug does have some advantages that Rowlingverse dragons don't; namely, intelligence and some mind powers. But his eyes should be vulnerable to a Conjuctivitis curse and his scales don't necessarily have the same magic resistance as Rowlingverse dragons. Even if they do, all of the faculty can probably overwhelm him.
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

What if the dragon from Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! were to assist Smaug?
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Errol would get jealous and chase Smaug back to the Lonely Mountain.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Cosmic Average wrote:What if the dragon from Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! were to assist Smaug?
Errol would ass blast the bastard for trying to cuckold him and/or ram into his missing armor section at mach 1-2.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Eframepilot wrote:Remember what took Smaug out? An arrow. One single arrow. Boromir took more punishment than that.

Of course, it was a special arrow of destiny shot by the last standing hero at Smaug's sole weak spot with a one-in-a-million (therefore guaranteed) chance of actually killing him. Nevertheless, it was a single arrow.
What's your point? He exploited a weakness to kill Smaug. He only knew about it because he was explicitly told. The Hogwarts don't have a Hobbit wearing the most powerful magical item in them realm to spy on Smaug before hand. The Death Star was taken out by two torpedos that wouldn't even dent an ISD. Does that mean the one ISD could destroy a Death Star because the rebels exploited a weakness?
Smaug does have some advantages that Rowlingverse dragons don't; namely, intelligence and some mind powers. But his eyes should be vulnerable to a Conjuctivitis curse and his scales don't necessarily have the same magic resistance as Rowlingverse dragons. Even if they do, all of the faculty can probably overwhelm him.
Dragons don't need their eyes, especially Elder Dragons who can sense vibration, minute changes in air pressure, and actual lifeforce. Of course, I'm going off the specs from AD&D: Greyhawk, so depending on how you view that VS the books....

Dragons themselves have impressive arrays of spells. When played right, any dragon older than "Adult" is almost impossible to take down (even more so in his own lair).
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

TheFeniX wrote:What's your point? He exploited a weakness to kill Smaug. He only knew about it because he was explicitly told. The Hogwarts don't have a Hobbit wearing the most powerful magical item in them realm to spy on Smaug before hand. The Death Star was taken out by two torpedos that wouldn't even dent an ISD. Does that mean the one ISD could destroy a Death Star because the rebels exploited a weakness?
That is a particularly bad analogy. Smaug is far less powerful than the Death Star, and his weak spot is visible to anyone in the position to see it (mind you, anyone in such a position has a very short life expectancy). And Smaug can be overwhelmed by concentrated Stunners, or likely killed outright by the unblockable Avada Kedavra (technically illegal, but Dumbledore or Snape could get away with it to save the castle).
Dragons don't need their eyes, especially Elder Dragons who can sense vibration, minute changes in air pressure, and actual lifeforce. Of course, I'm going off the specs from AD&D: Greyhawk, so depending on how you view that VS the books....

Dragons themselves have impressive arrays of spells. When played right, any dragon older than "Adult" is almost impossible to take down (even more so in his own lair).
Smaug is not an AD&D Elder Dragon, though. He is a Tolkienverse dragon, and we cannot assume any more powers than the ones he displays in the books. Magic in Middle-Earth is extraordinarily uneven, anyway. The Valar and high-level Maiar are continent-shifting, but the lower-level Maiar such as Saruman and Gandalf are... not. Saruman fled from an Ent and Gandalf the Grey was cornered up a pine tree by goblins and Wargs. His weapon of choice? Flaming pine cones.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

I wonder how Smaug could do against Godzila? 8)
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Smaug VS Dun dun da da da daaaaaaa! Bambi. :wink:
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Eframepilot wrote:
TheFeniX wrote:What's your point? He exploited a weakness to kill Smaug. He only knew about it because he was explicitly told. The Hogwarts don't have a Hobbit wearing the most powerful magical item in them realm to spy on Smaug before hand. The Death Star was taken out by two torpedos that wouldn't even dent an ISD. Does that mean the one ISD could destroy a Death Star because the rebels exploited a weakness?
That is a particularly bad analogy. Smaug is far less powerful than the Death Star, and his weak spot is visible to anyone in the position to see it (mind you, anyone in such a position has a very short life expectancy). And Smaug can be overwhelmed by concentrated Stunners, or likely killed outright by the unblockable Avada Kedavra (technically illegal, but Dumbledore or Snape could get away with it to save the castle).
How is your arguement any better? You make it seem like Smaug was killed by an ordinary arrow, even though you admit that it was an extremely powerful arrow fired by a man of destiny.

That warrior would have been killed by Smaug had he not exploited that weakness, just like Luke would not have destroyed the DS if not for exploiting it's weakness.

Only the Bilbo got close enough to see Samug's missing scale. No one is going to be able to view it when he's flying at over 100mph, and shooting flames and whatever else at them.

I've played AD&D in the "Tolkienverse." Hence why I asked if anyone would subscribe to AD&D rules being in effect. No one answered, so I went ahead and used them.