1 10th level Wizard vs Hogwarts

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

1 10th level Wizard vs Hogwarts

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

A Neutral evil Wizard decides he wants to destroy maim and kil the Lesser magges at Hogwarts... Can he pull it off?
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Fireball el grande!!

Actually it's a little iffy, but if you're meaning by lesser like the students, I say actually the 10th level probably has a good chance, given he/she has a good amount of destruction at one's disposal versus most of the kiddies.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

I was calling them lesser because I view the HP wizards as inferior
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Though all the teachers and all the students would be a problem individuals.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Then a little trouble only because of the head guy...the rest still fall pretty quickly(though it depends, if DUmbledore is the first to attack, he gets a Bolt up his butt and the rest die or run scared very quickly)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

yes....

" Why are you attacking my students?"

" Up yours Dumbledor... Ast kaast ortano"*Dumbledor gets a Precision guided lightning bolt up his ass*

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Depends on how powerful the Shield Spell is. If it works against D&D spells, then the Wizard will be eating his own lightning bolt.

Even if that doesn't work well, there are still enough disabling spells in Potterverse magic to give the wizard a hard time. "Petraficalis Totalis" will essencially disable the wizard, and that's one of the basic spells that anyone can cast.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

That is what freedom of movement is for...

Blindness/deafness will completely disable a potterverse mage....

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Then there is dispell magic....

Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

10th level wizard takes it. Of course, the only problem is that he might run out of spells, theres alot of students in Hogwarts.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

*casts rope trick, comes back 8 hours later, and picks up where he left off*

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Then there is dispell magic....
You know what Petraficalis Totalis does? The target cannot move or speak. This pretty much disqualifies D&D wizards from casting spells, unless you've been playing a version of D&D that I'm not aware of.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Yogi wrote:You know what Petraficalis Totalis does? The target cannot move or speak. This pretty much disqualifies D&D wizards from casting spells, unless you've been playing a version of D&D that I'm not aware of.
I think that would be where the Contingency spells come into effect.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Yogi wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Then there is dispell magic....
You know what Petraficalis Totalis does? The target cannot move or speak. This pretty much disqualifies D&D wizards from casting spells, unless you've been playing a version of D&D that I'm not aware of.
3E.

Still Spell + Silent Spell feats. Booyaka.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

And we're assuming the Mage has both of those feats, as well as spells memorized with those feats? Even if we assume that he has a few "dispel magic" spells at his disposal (to dispel the curse, the wisest choice), from what I remember, dispel magic is thrird level, plus two levels for the feats makes it a fifth level spell if stilled and silent. A 10th level wizard doesn't have that many 5th level slots, and he'd be wasting a "round" while he gets pounded by something else.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Dispell magic can be used as a counterspell you silly monkey...

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Yogi wrote:And we're assuming the Mage has both of those feats, as well as spells memorized with those feats? Even if we assume that he has a few "dispel magic" spells at his disposal (to dispel the curse, the wisest choice), from what I remember, dispel magic is thrird level, plus two levels for the feats makes it a fifth level spell if stilled and silent. A 10th level wizard doesn't have that many 5th level slots, and he'd be wasting a "round" while he gets pounded by something else.
Then there is the matter of te happy wands he will be using... wands of fireball lightning bolt... 50 charges each, aranged in a bandolier 3 of them each

(that is why I would do.....)

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Then there is the matter of te happy wands he will be using... wands of fireball lightning bolt... 50 charges each, aranged in a bandolier 3 of them each

(that is why I would do.....)
Wait a sec. How much stuff is this guy carrying? Seriously, it seems we have diffrent ideas about the paramiters of the battle so I would like to clear things up.

In addition, don't you need to point with wands?

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

yes... but if he kils them before they can cast spells....

Here are his stats...

Haldath Nerevar Level 10 wizard

Str: 10
Dex:16
Con 14
Int 20
Wis: 17
Cha:15

Feats: Silent spell, still spell, spell focus evocation, craft wand, maximize spell, ready spell, shape spell

Equipment: those wands. 4 scrolls of freedom of movement... spell comps. A +2 quarterstaff, +2 light crossbow. 10 vials of Aclchemists fire...And basic survival equipment

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

I see the misunderstanding. My DM never gave me that much stuff (Six fully charged wands, 20 Int :shock:) However, I must wonder why he does not have Improved Initiative as one of his feats.

So this is assuming that he walks into the front, since sneaking in would be difficult for Hogwarts. He can unleash the first spell using ready spell pretty much instantly. However (going by D&D rules) after that, he'll be up against a mass of wizards, and some of them WILL get spells off before he does. It's just a matter of what the spells would do to him.

Dispel magic as a counterspell is stupid, since they will be tossing a larger volume of spells. It should instead be used to dispel the various curses that can be placed upon him. The body bind curse can be countered by the scrolls of freedom of movement (four times) but a still/silent version of it will be needed to coutner the polymorph-to-slug curse and the mute curse.

Using the wands, he can get off one good attack for each set (I don't think the rules say you can use three wands at once) before someone either Accios it, or uses the disarming curse. Same with the crossbow.

So now, Haldath Nerevar has his initial spell, and two attack with wands. He has 3 5th level spell slots for stilled, silent Dispel magic, and 4 scrolls of free movement. That means he gets to dispel Petraficalis Totalis 7 times before it finally gets to him. Then, he's restricted to second and first level spells, which is going to get him nowhere fast.

It will depend on how many wizards go after him at once. Assuming he can quick draw 3/4 of the wizards there (slightly than better initiative), against 8 at once, there's only a 10% chance (approx) that he outdraws the group. Personally, I think 8 at a time is a resonable number, since while there's no way to summon the entire population of Hogwarts to one location at once, there are a fair number of students that are milling around. Of course, he kills them all with Shape Spell + Evocation, but that's still not enough to clean out an entire school. Of course, if more wizards jump him, he kills more per spell, but the lower his chance of out-drawing them.

Casting Haste beforehand would be his best bet, since it gives him an extra spell. That way if he somehow goes last, he dispells the curse from him, then fries them with the extra spell. Otherwise, he is just going to be cursed again after he dispells his first one.

So 1 inintial + 2 surprises from wands + 1 when he outdraws 8 wizards at once before he runs out of juice and is bound and immobile, fresh out of dispell magics. That's 4 massive blast spells. I don't think that can take down Hogwarts.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

He sits at range and begins unleashing isoton lightning bolts...

By the way, freedom of movement has a duration of 10 min/level for a total of 90 min at minumum caster level... So he will be free from any movement effecting spells

He will have destroyed all by the time he uses all those...

He CREATED those wands by the way... and 20 Int is pretty reasonable for a caster of his level...

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

It will depend on how many wizards go after him at once. Assuming he can quick draw 3/4 of the wizards there (slightly than better initiative), against 8 at once, there's only a 10% chance (approx) that he outdraws the group. Personally, I think 8 at a time is a resonable number, since while there's no way to summon the entire population of Hogwarts to one location at once, there are a fair number of students that are milling around. Of course, he kills them all with Shape Spell + Evocation, but that's still not enough to clean out an entire school. Of course, if more wizards jump him, he kills more per spell, but the lower his chance of out-drawing them.
He casts freedom of movement

He doesnt have to go in.... He stays OUTSIDE, and unleashes doom and destruction in the form of lightning bolts(at nearly 1 isoton a piece, they will break through the walls) Destroying towers etc....

He redies an action to attack any mage that teleports near him with a lightning bolt, and casts hast to not lose combat effectivness. He then waits for little magelings and their instructors to come outside, and covers the entrance with his wands(and wall of fire spells) There are many students... but f none of them survive to even see what was going on, they can do nothing....

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:He sits at range and begins unleashing isoton lightning bolts...
The whole point of my above post was that the wizards can disable him so he can't cast any magic.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:By the way, freedom of movement has a duration of 10 min/level for a total of 90 min at minumum caster level... So he will be free from any movement effecting spells
I didn't know that. That means that there will be four rounds in which the wizards have to use Finite Incantum (think Dispell Magic). That's 8 more spells (assuming he uses haste) that he can get off, bringing up the grand total to 12 spells.
Alyrium Denryle wrote:He CREATED those wands by the way... and 20 Int is pretty reasonable for a caster of his level...
You gain an ability score every 5 levels. For him to have 20 Int at 10th level, he must have had 18 int at 1st level. Using 4d6 + drop lowest, that's only a 1.2% chance. I guess your DM uses a diffrent ability score generation system than mine.
Creating the wands, I can buy, though I would personally have created 6 wands of diffrent types.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

You gain ability points every 4 levels by the way... :D

And if they are all dead before they can even cast a spell, they cand do shit now can they?
I didn't know that. That means that there will be four rounds in which the wizards have to use Finite Incantum (think Dispell Magic). That's 8 more spells (assuming he uses haste) that he can get off, bringing up the grand total to 12 spells.
And the students.. make their caster level checks against a 10th level wizard how?

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

And the dice I use for character generation have this odd endancy to roll 4s 5s and 6s