an SSD versus Hogwarts

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

an SSD versus Hogwarts

Post by Admiral Johnason »

A friend of mine keeps telling me that the Galatic empire would stand no chance against the Ministry of Magic and the Order of the Phonix. She says that turbolaser couldn't do squat against magic. Just how wrong is she and how many seconds would an Imperial victory take?
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Re: an SSD versus Hogwarts

Post by Yogi »

Admiral Johnason wrote:A friend of mine keeps telling me that the Galatic empire would stand no chance against the Ministry of Magic and the Order of the Phonix. She says that turbolaser couldn't do squat against magic. Just how wrong is she and how many seconds would an Imperial victory take?
Depends on how powerful the indirection spell around Hodwarts is. Techniclally, whoever sees it not only sees a normal castle, but suddenly rememers some VERY urgent business and runs off, akin to Someone Else's Problem field. If the SSD doesn't actually scan the planet, and simply bombards the entier land mass, one of the bolts should hit Hogwarts.

However, that might take a while, giving Hogwarts to launch a possible counterattack. It will depend on several things, including apparating through an SSD's sheilds, being able to toss things like Mandrake roots around, having such things avalible, invisibility cloak working against internal sensors etc.

Hogwarts MAY be able to take it IF all its magic works against SW-tech. Otherwise, it's bye bye Hogwarts.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Re: an SSD versus Hogwarts

Yogi wrote:
Admiral Johnason wrote:A friend of mine keeps telling me that the Galatic empire would stand no chance against the Ministry of Magic and the Order of the Phonix. She says that turbolaser couldn't do squat against magic. Just how wrong is she and how many seconds would an Imperial victory take?
Depends on how powerful the indirection spell around Hodwarts is. Techniclally, whoever sees it not only sees a normal castle, but suddenly rememers some VERY urgent business and runs off, akin to Someone Else's Problem field. If the SSD doesn't actually scan the planet, and simply bombards the entier land mass, one of the bolts should hit Hogwarts.

However, that might take a while, giving Hogwarts to launch a possible counterattack. It will depend on several things, including apparating through an SSD's sheilds, being able to toss things like Mandrake roots around, having such things avalible, invisibility cloak working against internal sensors etc.

Hogwarts MAY be able to take it IF all its magic works against SW-tech. Otherwise, it's bye bye Hogwarts.
I alwys pictured them finding the exact range of the anti-tech barrier and blowing a super nuke just outside of that range.

HAB submarine commander-
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

"Target, United Kingdom landmass. Fire all weapons that bear." An SSD doesn’t need to aim more specifically then that.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Sea Skimmer wrote:"Target, United Kingdom landmass. Fire all weapons that bear." An SSD doesn’t need to aim more specifically then that.
That's what I said. She also thinks Sith can be beaten by wizards. vader just chokes them befre they can gat a word off.

HAB submarine commander-
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Base Delta Zero. Good luck surviving the world melting beneath your feet and crap being thrown into the atmosphere. Unless you want the rest of the world intact.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Darth Yoshi wrote:Base Delta Zero. Good luck surviving the world melting beneath your feet and crap being thrown into the atmosphere.
What atmosphere? A BDZ blows that clear off the planet.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

-wizard Apparates into docking bay-

-docking bay depressurizes-

-hilarity ensues-

Honestly. Give me Shep, a dozen fully armed New Yorkers, and two ex-CIA agents, and I will rule those pansy-assed wizards. The 'Killing Curse' has nothing on an SMG.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Now if these were D&D wizards, I would be inclined to side with your friend... but these are harry potter wizards, and I dont know their capabilities....
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

HP wizards suck. Or at least they used to up until the Order of the Phoenix, but regardless they still have one major problem; while they may be ok offensively, deffensively they suck.

Think about it, they don't really have any shield spells do they? Certainly nothing that could withstand a SSD's turbolaser.

Now, the Assembly of Great Ones might stand a chance, if they had Macros and Milamber with them (remember at one point the Assembly were attempting to move a stray star), but I doubt even their shields could stand the challenge.

More likely, Macros would move Kelewan out of the way again.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Wait a second as my level 50 arcanist takes out your SSD
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

As has been stated, the witches and wizards of Harry Potter are pathetic weaklings. In the words of Jon Irenicus,

"You bore me, mageling."

A 10th level D&D wizard could singlehandedly take Hogwarts.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Hehe...

I can imagine a level 6 mage taking them all out...

Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Ya know, I once, using my freinds Lego set, created a diorama of the Republic Army attacking Hogwarts. I even pit an acklay against "Fluffy".
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

JediNeophyte wrote:As has been stated, the witches and wizards of Harry Potter are pathetic weaklings. In the words of Jon Irenicus,

"You bore me, mageling."

A 10th level D&D wizard could singlehandedly take Hogwarts.
Jonaleth Irenicus wins the big points for the coolest mage villain EVER seen in a computer game. Wonderfully voiced by the oh so talented John Hurt.

Not to say that Sarevok also didn't kick major arse, his voice was mean too. And he had that awesome armour.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Darth Gojira wrote:Ya know, I once, using my freinds Lego set, created a diorama of the Republic Army attacking Hogwarts. I even pit an acklay against "Fluffy".
Does anyoone else notice that the characters in HP do resemble the from SW?

HAB submarine commander-
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

*Imagines the children riding broomsticks in a space dogfight with TIEs*
delicious pies
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Demiurge wrote:*Imagines the children riding broomsticks in a space dogfight with TIEs*
Sir, their shooting sparks at us. May we return the quaffel?

HAB submarine commander-
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Force-users playing Quidditch.

"The Snitch appears to be mysteriously flying to his hand...he's caught it! It's all over! And look! The other players appear to be dropping out of the sky like flies!"
Jonaleth Irenicus wins the big points for the coolest mage villain EVER seen in a computer game. Wonderfully voiced by the oh so talented John Hurt.
Which game?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Baldurs Gate 2 : Shadows of Amn....

Oh and its David Warner not John Hurt that voices Jon Irenicus
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

He did kick major ass.... He had the personality, the background, the voice.... You bore me mageling.....

I was sad to have to kill him.... and I feel so sorry for what he suffered in the end....

Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

This is SW vs. HP. I hate D&D!

HAB submarine commander-
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

He did kick major ass.... He had the personality, the background, the voice.... You bore me mageling.....

I was sad to have to kill him.... and I feel so sorry for what he suffered in the end....
I never did kill him, I got to the very last battle with him, decided to finish some sidequests, and then my computer crashed.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Well, technically a good mage could cause all of the SSD's weapons to cease working, its reactor to explode, and the hyperdrive to mysteriously actvate and take it out of the system, preferrably all at the same time.

The problem is, the Harry Potterverse has yet to display that level of power, so Hogwarts turns into a pile of molten slag. :twisted:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Rowlingverse magic seems to be geared more towards intricate effects (like transmuting nonliving matter into living animals), working as a technology substitute, and subtle manipulation than outright combat. Their most potent offensive spell is a simple death curse, and that only because it can't be blocked or reversed (despite the abundance of ghosts and sentient paintings and the like, death seems to be an impenetrable barrier for them, though they do have lots of tricks for delaying or avoiding it). Their defensive capabilities are limited to 1) dodging or blocking spells they know are coming, 2) innate resistance to spells cast by weaker wizards, and 3) enchanting objects or places ahead of time to ward off specific targets or curses. The third may be limited to effect only magical creatures--they can't, so far as I know, simply erect a wall of magic to prevent Muggles from stumbling onto Hogwarts or some other protected area--they can only use charms that cause Muggles to see illusions or make them want to leave of their own free will. The wizards have to act covertly for the most part (even powerful evil mages like Voldemort largely stay underground) a possible sign that they don't have the offensive or defensive capability to resist even Muggles in large numbers, let alone fight off an Executor. Considering that they're just as prone to injury from mundane things like falling from a height, they should be just as vulnerable as regular humans to anything they can't dodge or block, either because they didn't see it coming (like, say, a high powered rifle shot) or they just don't have the ability to block it (like a 200gt turbolaser blast from orbit).
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues