The Tarrasque

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

The Tarrasque

Post by Peregrin Toker »

So I was reading the Monster Manual and when I looked at the stats of the Tarrasque, the first thing I thought: "HOLY CRAP!!" I mean, this monster has 840hp, can deal over 100 damage per round, is immune to almost everything and practically impossible to kill.

In fact, they could just as well make a Monster Manual entry for Godzilla.

The thing is - is this overpowered beastie ever used in the game?? And are there any D&D players who actually have succeeded in killing it?? And more importantly, if it is used at all, is it used as anything else than a punishment for rude gamers?
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Re: The Tarrasque

Post by SirNitram »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:So I was reading the Monster Manual and when I looked at the stats of the Tarrasque, the first thing I thought: "HOLY CRAP!!" I mean, this monster has 840hp, can deal over 100 damage per round, is immune to almost everything and practically impossible to kill.

In fact, they could just as well make a Monster Manual entry for Godzilla.

The thing is - is this overpowered beastie ever used in the game?? And are there any D&D players who actually have succeeded in killing it?? And more importantly, if it is used at all, is it used as anything else than a punishment for rude gamers?
Trust me.. There comes a point when the Tarr is a good opponent. Not, obviously, in a random encounter. But an entire campaign can be setup around this badboy, and with some good DM work, it can be taken down. Of course, so far, the only place my PC's have encountered this terror is the Netherese Empire era... When the Wish spell needed to keep it did didn't exist.

In short, if your mages can cast Wish-level spells, feel free. Keep in mind this thing has no real intelligence.. So if the party can't survive, have it get distracted.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

SirNitram wrote:Trust me.. There comes a point when the Tarr is a good opponent.
At which point?? 30th level or something?
SirNitram wrote:In short, if your mages can cast Wish-level spells, feel free.
Of course, you have to reduce it to -30 HP first, which is no easy task...

BTW - as for my comment about making a Monster Manual entry for Godzilla - have rules for The Big G. ever been posted in "Dragon"??? :wink:

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Trust me.. There comes a point when the Tarr is a good opponent.
At which point?? 30th level or something?
Closer to 20, but that's with some good magical equipment on their side(+3 Bows of Speed tend to save the day).
SirNitram wrote:In short, if your mages can cast Wish-level spells, feel free.
Of course, you have to reduce it to -30 HP first, which is no easy task...

BTW - as for my comment about making a Monster Manual entry for Godzilla - have rules for The Big G. ever been posted in "Dragon"??? :wink:
Not that I've seen, but there's some entries I've seen for various giant reptiles.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

SirNitram wrote:
Not that I've seen, but there's some entries I've seen for various giant reptiles.
Now if there were rules for Godzilla, that would be cool. GMs whose players finished off the Tarrasque finally have something else to kill their beloved characters with!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(and if that fails, throw in King Ghidorah)

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Here is a writeup of Godzilla as a Greater God, but it is far to underpowered IMO. He needs Fear causing abilities and more damage done for his attacks. But it has an entire Toho Universe setting which is something I'd love to play in someday...Although, as a Greater god he gets:

Divine aptitude (Ex): Kaiju-gods receive a bonus on all checks. Lesser gods receive a 10-point bonus, intermediate receive a 15-point bonus, and greater gods receive a 20-point bonus. They also do not automatically fail a check on a natural "1".

Immune to stunning and instant death (Ex): kaiju-gods are wholly immune to death from massive damage. Also, unless caused by another god of equal or greater status, kaiju-gods are immune to stunning, sleep and paralysis. They are all completely immune to death effects and disintegration, as well as subdual damage.

Disease and poison resistance (Ex): Kaiju-gods are resistant to all forms of poison and disease. All gods gain a +30 circumstantial bonus to saves against all forms of poison and disease.

Transmutation (Ex): All kaiju-gods are completely immune to polymorphing, prettification, and any other effect that would change their shape. This does not include the god's own shape changing abilities.

Draining and Ability Damage (Ex): All kaiju-gods are completely immune to all ability draining and ability damage. Energy draining, such as negative levels, is never permanent, and disappears after one turn.

Mind Effects (Ex): Kaiju-gods are immune to mind effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns and morale effects). They are also immune to all fear effects.

Damage Reduction (Ex): All kaiju gods have damage reduction 25/+5.

Immortality: All kaiju-gods are effectively immortal. They do not age, and will not die of natural causes. They need no food or drink to survive, and can only die through combat.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

and Here is King Ghidorah's writeup Mothra Leo is insanely powerful CR75!!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Ive got that Dragon mag around somewhere...

features a Kaiju_bulette, a Kaiju sea creature and as an evil Kaiju a Fiend/Centipede Kaiju!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

There are ways of killing it...

Reverse gravity... falling damage is good.... SLAM SAM Slam(lather rinse repeat) Wish
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Bun Bun 68 hp Dr25 ac 20 str 18 dx 25 cn 15 int 18 wis 18 ch 18
weapons Glcok 10 shots rof 1 3d6 each

switch blade same as dagger
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

: incaldar sefooth"

Bun Bun dies
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Heh, theres an old 2nd Edition adventure set in Netheril named "How the Mighty are Fallen" or something similar, you can get it for free on the official wizards.com site. At one part in it, you have to kill the Tarrasque to get a spell component.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Aaaa, there a lot of better ways to deal with the tarasque...

Combat is for the unimaginative.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Jadeite wrote:Heh, theres an old 2nd Edition adventure set in Netheril named "How the Mighty are Fallen" or something similar, you can get it for free on the official wizards.com site. At one part in it, you have to kill the Tarrasque to get a spell component.
I am currently converting it to third edition :D

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

With 3rd Ed rules it is impossible to reduce something to -30 HP.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

HemlockGrey wrote:With 3rd Ed rules it is impossible to reduce something to -30 HP.
Well, according to the Monster Manual I hold in my hand, which IS THE THIRD EDITION ONE, the Tarrasque must be reduced to -30 Hit Points before it can be truly killed.

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Jadeite wrote:Heh, theres an old 2nd Edition adventure set in Netheril named "How the Mighty are Fallen" or something similar, you can get it for free on the official wizards.com site. At one part in it, you have to kill the Tarrasque to get a spell component.
*cracks the whip* Faster slave!

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Majin Gojira wrote:Here is a writeup of Godzilla as a Greater God, but it is far to underpowered IMO. He needs Fear causing abilities and more damage done for his attacks. But it has an entire Toho Universe setting which is something I'd love to play in someday...Although, as a Greater god he gets:
Oh my. Somebody finally did it.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

SirNitram wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
*cracks the whip* Faster slave!
*moans in pain AND pleasure* YES MASTER!

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Ah, the Terrasque. My favorite of D&D monsters. I used to draw a comic for my friends about the adventures and exploits of the Terrasque. His cave had shag carpetting which was 4 feet deep. Infested with Kobolds. :)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Ah, the Terrasque. My favorite of D&D monsters. I used to draw a comic for my friends about the adventures and exploits of the Terrasque. His cave had shag carpetting which was 4 feet deep. Infested with Kobolds. :)
The Tarrasque is really the Kobold's cousin.

Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

*Thought of Siegbert Tarrasch and his openings when he saw the topic* :? Even though I sort of know a Tarrasque.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Tarrasque is easy, first you use any kind of magic to get you airborne - then you just start using projectiles, be it magic or physical. Tarrasque is dead, dead, dead...
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

he is never easy...projectiles are not going to work well.
With 3rd Ed rules it is impossible to reduce something to -30 HP.
Not true. It says that -10 you are dead, but after that you can still inflict damage to the body.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

weemadando wrote:Tarrasque is easy, first you use any kind of magic to get you airborne - then you just start using projectiles, be it magic or physical.
I thought the Tarrasque's carapace protected it against magical as well as physical projectiles? :?

(Of course, it has some weak spots, such as the neck)