Magneto's powers - and lack of response to them

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Magneto's powers - and lack of response to them

Post by MKSheppard »

Right, in every X Book from the ultimates, to whatever, Magneto is depicted
as someone only the X-Men can take on...

Just listen to his infantile rantings about Homo Superior, and how Homo Saipiens will be reduced to slavery in Ultimate X-Men, and you have to
ask yourself - why the fuck haven't the United States, NATO, the CIS,
SEATO, and the ChiComs gotten together and teamed up on Magneto
and his Brotherhood of Mutants and royally gangbanged them.

1 man and his team of mutants versus the industrial/military complex
of virutally the entire globe...the single man loses :twisted:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Demiurge
Rabid Monkey

Post by Demiurge »

As far as I know the Soviets were the only ones to ever try to kill him.
delicious pies
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Post by The Drunkard Kid »

Actually, if it wasn't for the other superhumans or the Marvel Universe's ungodly level of tech, comic book Magneto could very well curbstomp the entire planet at will. This is the guy that EMP'd the entire planet when they pissed him off, and who can just shift the polarity of the Earth's magnetic field at his whim (which is why Professor X is so much stronger outside of Earth than on it: Magneto rewrote the planet's magnetic field to the point where long distance telepathy is impossible, even to a psi on Xavier's level, without a massive amplifier like Cerebro or Cerebra). If he reversed the polarity completely (and no, this ain't like in Star Trek), there would be massive deaths all over the planet.

Of course, this being the Marvel Universe, Reed Richards could build a doohicky that turns Magneto into a turnip, Doctor Strange could teleport Magnus into Thanos' bathroom, King Thor could turn him into a sentient key chain, etc...
"What's that smear on the wall, Mommy?"
"That used to be Spider-Man, honey."
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Wow, he musta been real stupid, huh?"
"Yes honey, he was."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Drunkard Kid wrote:Actually, if it wasn't for the other superhumans or the Marvel Universe's ungodly level of tech, comic book Magneto could very well curbstomp the entire planet at will.
Thing is, they actually have Psi-blockers in the Ultimateverse, that they
used to block the telepathic powers of Prof X and Jean when the
Ultimates assaulted the X-Men's hideout...

So wouldn't it be possible to design something that would block Magneto's
powers, sort of like a giant degaussing field?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

What's needed is one of those funky collars. Remember them- I first saw them on the X-Men cartoon (which was good, for a cartoon) but I'm sure they were in the comics first.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

What's the whole world going to do? You can't realistically focus the armed forces of the world against a single man.

Even Movie Magneto was able to completely neuter an armed group by simply seizing their weaponry. To my knowledge, he's disabled inbound nukes, which means you can't even WMD the bastard.

Magneto can control the EM spectrum, apparently arbitrarily. This makes him a fuckin' GOD. It's quite likely alot of the world's governments fear the effects of provoking him.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

SirNitram wrote: Magneto can control the EM spectrum, apparently arbitrarily. This makes him a fuckin' GOD. It's quite likely alot of the world's governments fear the effects of provoking him.
If he's such a god, then why has he been defeated time and time
again by the X-Men? Even he wasn't able to hold Bishop in place
with his magnetic powers, and he was about to have his ass fucking
kicked in FATAL ATTRACTIONS by the combined power of the
X-Men coursing through bishop when Colossus betrayed the team
and saved Mags ass by coldcocking biShop.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

MKSheppard wrote:
SirNitram wrote: Magneto can control the EM spectrum, apparently arbitrarily. This makes him a fuckin' GOD. It's quite likely alot of the world's governments fear the effects of provoking him.
If he's such a god, then why has he been defeated time and time
again by the X-Men? Even he wasn't able to hold Bishop in place
with his magnetic powers, and he was about to have his ass fucking
kicked in FATAL ATTRACTIONS by the combined power of the
X-Men coursing through bishop when Colossus betrayed the team
and saved Mags ass by coldcocking biShop.
Don't know the comic, but the X-men are sillily powerful as well. Of course, this may be the famous power creep of comics..
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Just listen to his infantile rantings about Homo Superior, and how Homo Saipiens will be reduced to slavery in Ultimate X-Men, and you have to
ask yourself - why the fuck haven't the United States, NATO, the CIS,
SEATO, and the ChiComs gotten together and teamed up on Magneto
and his Brotherhood of Mutants and royally gangbanged them.
Actually, several world governments did once put him one trial. Thing is, Magneto generally never did anything illegal. He once blew up a Russian* I think) military vessel, but that was after they fired Nukes at him. He could do a lot of damage, and he's threatened genocide at points, but he's never done it.

At some point he started getting more and more extreme. Nevertheless, he's impossible to get ahold of. Magneto, after all, has certain advatages.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

That's where MU's obscene tech curve comes in. Sentinals now have the ability to neutralize specific mutant powers within a certain range as a standard feature, IIRC, which is why an Onslaught Saga Sentinal was curb stomping Magneto until Doctor Doom stepped in and saved him and Rogue. Heck, IIRC, Genosha had an energy net that nullified mutant powers on contact, and they used to have a way of neutralizing mutants all over the island (I think they used a mutant to do so, but I don't remember fully; it was the arc where Logan was dying from the fact that his bones are completely encapsulated in adamantium and his healing factor was turned off). Crap, there's probably 50 different types of mutant power neutralizing mutants/machines that the X-Men have already encountered, quite a few of which are very accurate and cover a wide area. You can see why I keep rolling my eyes whenever they have a scene with Rogue angsting over the fact that she can't touch anyone, or Cyclops moaning over the fact that he always needs to wear his glasses, and so on...

If the rest of the planet was at real world tech levels, they'd be screwed, but as it is there are at least a dozen Earth based groups/individuals that could pimp slap Magneto if he ever got out of line, but then X-Men comics would usually end with them thanking Doctor Strange for turning him into a house plant. Doom himself mind controlled the entire planet on two seperate occassions, and the only reason why Magneto escaped one of them was because Doom let him free of it in a fit of fair play, but he's friggin' Doctor Doom, so only Reed is likely to be able to match that feat, if he ever decided to try.
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Yes honey, he was."
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The problem with Magneto is that his powers are only as strong as the plot will allow. On paper, Magneto would be pretty much unstoppable, even with most of the X-Men in the picture. Theoretically, he should be able to kill a man just by looking at them and turning off their bio-electric "circuitry" or overloading it. Plus all sorts of other tricks as well. Of course, they can't do this, since Magneto is the villain and he can't be allowed to win.

You get that alot in comic books. Like Apocolypse or the Flash and guys like that. If they used their establish powers at full potential, it wouldn't be very interesting.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Gil Hamilton wrote: You get that alot in comic books. Like Apocolypse or the Flash and guys like that. If they used their establish powers at full potential, it wouldn't be very interesting.
Man has that happened with all of Galactus' Heralds or what?

Anyway, before Magneto was turned into a child I think he was powerful but not anywhere near what they did with him after he was re-aged into an adult. The first version was much like the movie Magneto in that he mostly stuck to manipulating magnetic fields. He was a little more powerful but he often used machines and tech in his schemes.

Magneto post Eric the Red has nearly been a cosmic being at times. A little ridiculous if you ask me. Although his bets characterization has come out of this time period. Linking him to the holocaust was an excellent move because it shows his motivation without making him necessarilly evil.

Still, I do like the Ultimate version of Magneto. If he's going to be a villan without the Aushwitz back story, and without sympathy, I like that he is such a freak (in the cult leader sense). It makes more sense as a evil super villan that he really be in it for the power and for putting Mutants over regular humans.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Drunkard Kid wrote:Crap, there's probably 50 different types of mutant power neutralizing mutants/machines that the X-Men have already encountered, quite a few of which are very accurate and cover a wide area. You can see why I keep rolling my eyes whenever they have a scene with Rogue angsting over the fact that she can't touch anyone, or Cyclops moaning over the fact that he always needs to wear his glasses, and so on...
And you wonder why I don't like comics that much? It's because of stupid
crap like that - shit, these guys are worse than TNG's "lost tech of the week"

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Usually Psi-Ops work best on Magneto.

Kitty Pryde iletrated this perfectly when she nearly killed herself using her EMP effect on him. It did J/S but piss him off, but seeing that he had almost killed a little jewish girl, he backed down.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

they should have kept the Holocaust background for him it would have explained so much also explained why he would spare Kitty Pride
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

But Ultimates is supposed to be an updated version of the heros, and having a 60-plus year-old for the villian...

(IIRC, in the "normal" X-continuity, the X-Men have only been formed for about ten years total.)
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:But Ultimates is supposed to be an updated version of the heros, and having a 60-plus year-old for the villian...

(IIRC, in the "normal" X-continuity, the X-Men have only been formed for about ten years total.)

In X-Men Evolution they weasled around this buy giving the holocaust background and then giving him the Super Soldier serum to make him young and pumped again.

Anyway, like I've said I like the Magneto that his motivated by what he's seen people do to each other. On the same note the version in the Ultimate line is more believable as a real super villan because he his a meglomaniacal bastard that wants to be in charge. I suppose you could say he's a wacked out extreme evolutionist but he seems bent on speeding up the process. The way he's written I don't feel sympathy for him because he is just evil. The main stream Magneto is different since his rebirth. He's motivated by more than just himself and he doesn't see regular humans as nothing but animals to be used or cast aside as he deems necessary.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

The Drunkard Kid wrote:Of course, this being the Marvel Universe, Reed Richards could build a doohicky that turns Magneto into a turnip...
Well actually he did beat Magneto in the old tv shows by holding him at gunpoint with a wooden replica of a pistol :lol:
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

The Drunkard Kid wrote:...and they used to have a way of neutralizing mutants all over the island (I think they used a mutant to do so, but I don't remember fully; it was the arc where Logan was dying from the fact that his bones are completely encapsulated in adamantium and his healing factor was turned off).
Sounds like that pangaea-like land in the cartoons where they used a tissue sample of that pterodactyl-turning-power-absorbing man connected to some machine, so mutants without some stupid belt didn't have the powers.

Interestingly, Xavier additionally appears to have the very useful mutant power of NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK, so that got nullified too and he could run all around the damn place.
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Savage Land, and Sauron. Yeah, I remember that one. And I normally like the old Fox series better than the Evolution or Ultimate lines (DIE ULTIMATE JEAN AND XAVIER! DIE THE DEATH OF A THOUSAND SYPHALLUS ENCRUSTED DEAD BEAT PARENTS!)

In the comics, IIRC, Xavier's legs were crippled in his first fight with the Shadow King before he started the school.
"What killed him?"
"Yes honey, he was."
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

MKSheppard wrote:
The Drunkard Kid wrote:Actually, if it wasn't for the other superhumans or the Marvel Universe's ungodly level of tech, comic book Magneto could very well curbstomp the entire planet at will.
Thing is, they actually have Psi-blockers in the Ultimateverse, that they
used to block the telepathic powers of Prof X and Jean when the
Ultimates assaulted the X-Men's hideout...

So wouldn't it be possible to design something that would block Magneto's
powers, sort of like a giant degaussing field?
Well first, he would learn about it and destroy it before it was finished. Second, he did sick the Sentials on us and almost killed Bush. Third, it may not be possible.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

The Drunkard Kid wrote:Savage Land, and Sauron. Yeah, I remember that one. And I normally like the old Fox series better than the Evolution or Ultimate lines (DIE ULTIMATE JEAN AND XAVIER! DIE THE DEATH OF A THOUSAND SYPHALLUS ENCRUSTED DEAD BEAT PARENTS!)

In the comics, IIRC, Xavier's legs were crippled in his first fight with the Shadow King before he started the school.
Lucipher actually, not the Shadow King.
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Really? Then my old Jim Lee trading cards owe me an apology.

*beats cards into the ground*
"What killed him?"
"Yes honey, he was."
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

The Drunkard Kid wrote:Really? Then my old Jim Lee trading cards owe me an apology.

*beats cards into the ground*
No the Shadow King crushed his spine the second time. (Xavier got a cloned body inbetween with the ability to walk)

Oh and the Genoshan who wiped powers was WipeOut, also a mutant. he was killed later.
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Ah. Groovetacular. I know that Rogue once got her powers neutralized without having Carol Danvers take over because Leech grabbed her face. Of course, it also KO'd him, and she ended up having to take out a sewer full of Morlocks in hand to hand combat until her powers came back, cause they were planning on killing him and framing her for it. Consequently, Leech could probably be guilted into letting her knock him out whenever she wants to spend the night with that special someone...
"What killed him?"
"Yes honey, he was."