Legend of Korra "The Aftermath" Talkback

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Legend of Korra "The Aftermath" Talkback

Post by Steve »

"Not my Cabbage Corp!" :mrgreen:

An interesting change in the recap, with it being Tarlokk attacking Lin (not surprising), and then the results of Amon's attack and the apparent complicity of Cabbage Corp in the Equalist movement. The Pro Bending Arena is shut down, rendering Mako and Bolin homeless again... or at least would have if Asami hadn't wrangled them an invitation to her family mansion (trumping Korra's offer of living on Air Temple Island). This leads to Korra visiting, and then overhearing incriminating statements that indicate Hiroshi Sato is an Equalist and working with them. After some twists and incredible stress on her friendship with Mako, we find out it is true, shocking poor Asami to her very core... and resulting in a trap where we finally see the fruits of those schematics from the end of the first episode. Sato and the Equalists have discovered how to metalbend-proof metal constructs like doors and mecha, by casting them out of pure platinum with no minute traces of earth. The machines make fairly short work of Korra, Lin, and her metalbenders, though Tenzin put up an effective fight before succumbing. They all would've been taken off to Amon for chi-bending if not for Mako, Bolin, and Asami, the latter of whom refuses her father's pleas to join the Equalists and shocks him unconscious so they can get away.

So, the series status quo shifts. Mako, Bolin, and Asami will be living with Tenzin, Korra, and Tenzin's family. Lin is resigning as Chief of Police and going vigilante on the Equalists. Hiroshi Sato is revealed as the financier and designer for the Equalists, driven by the loss of his wife to the Firebending triad in a raid on his house, though he's apparently not Amon.

There seems to be a link now between the backgrounds of Amon, Mako and Bolin, and the Satos; all claim victimization by rogue and criminal firebenders. Curiouser and curiouser.

The Equalist Power Suits are clearly the means by which Amon intends to spread his power beyond Republic City. If he takes over Republic City successfully it will provide him with an industrial base for mass production; a mass production that would give him a fighting chance for winning a military confrontation with the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation, whom I figure are the two biggest threats he faces. Infantry armed with electric gloves and other electrical-weaponry backed by the power armor, with elite units of chi-blockers for suppressing enemy bender leaders.

Bolin's excitement over the mansion is hilarious, as was his puppeteering of Pabu in talking Korra into visiting. He's certainly filling the need for comic relief, as the tensions ratchet up in the series.

Now... given prior speculation on the role of the spiritual side of bending, and how it's been missing... one wonders if we'll see Mako and Bolin joining Korra in feeling that spiritual side while living on Air Temple Island. It might also provide key to protecting them from Amon if it comes to that.

All in all, we've reached the mid-point of Book 1 and it looks like things will only get hotter from this point on.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Haruko
Jedi Master

Re: Legend of Korra "The Aftermath" Talkback

Post by Haruko »

This was Asami's episode.

Loved every second of it.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

It was a nice twist that Asami knew nothing of her father's actions and that the backing of the Fire Ferrets was Hiroshi's subterfuge, not hers.

This also adds new context to why Amon went after the Triads as his first demonstration. I suspect taking Zolt Bolt down was a condition of Sato's involvement. The big question is how long he's been working with Amon.

I also wonder what kind of damage this raid is going to the Equalists' infrastructure. Now that Sato's Equalist affiliation is out, the MPF will surely occupy the estate -- thereby depriving Amon of his main factory. They'll also bring the hammer down on anything connected to the industrialist from bank accounts or private property.

However, I'm sure that Hiroshi has accounts and other facilities hidden and that while a blow, is not a crippling one to the Equalists.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Steve wrote:There seems to be a link now between the backgrounds of Amon, Mako and Bolin, and the Satos; all claim victimization by rogue and criminal firebenders. Curiouser and curiouser.
I suspect that Firebenders are the easiest target for public anger. Aside from the apparent tendency to congregate into gangs in Republic City, plus the legacy of Fire-bender oppression back in the Great War, there's also the fact that their abilities are shrinking in usefulness aside from a few areas (like electricity generation).
JME2 wrote:I also wonder what kind of damage this raid is going to the Equalists' infrastructure. Now that Sato's Equalist affiliation is out, the MPF will surely occupy the estate -- thereby depriving Amon of his main factory. They'll also bring the hammer down on anything connected to the industrialist from bank accounts or private property.
They'll try, but the police force may be reeling from the loss of Lin as Chief as well as nearly a half-dozen metalbenders to Amon. I'd expect the situation to be pretty chaotic in the next episode

I'll have to watch the ending again, but did they grab the unconscious Sato when they were escaping? Or was he left behind?

Wikipedia's not giving the title for Episode 8, but some other places have said that it's titled, "Skeletons in the Closet". I wonder if we're finally going to get some exposition from Tenzin about the incident from fourty years ago, to go with Korra's visions.

Speaking of visions, I wonder if her lack of spirituality is what is preventing Korra from ever going into the Avatar State when she's in extreme danger, in addition to why she can't commune with the previous Avatars like Aang could. That connection may be strengthening with her Airbending training, which is why she's now having the visions.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Wikipedia's not giving the title for Episode 8, but some other places have said that it's titled, "Skeletons in the Closet". I wonder if we're finally going to get some exposition from Tenzin about the incident from fourty years ago, to go with Korra's visions.
If the next episode is "Skeletons", then things should get interesting since...
Spoiler
...actor Dante Basco (Zuko) has said he is coming back for a Zuko-related role in said episode. I have a feeling Zuko will relay the story of what happened with Yakone 40 years earlier.
Guardsman Bass wrote:Speaking of visions, I wonder if her lack of spirituality is what is preventing Korra from ever going into the Avatar State when she's in extreme danger, in addition to why she can't commune with the previous Avatars like Aang could. That connection may be strengthening with her Airbending training, which is why she's now having the visions.
I think you might have hit the nail on the head.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Why didn't the Metal-bender use the ground to their advantage.
Sato himself told them the door and the mecha-tanks are bender-proof.
But they were obviously able to bend the surface they stood on.

Lin bend the ground to propel her onto one of the mecha-tanks to go for the weakspot, the glas.
Two Metal-benders used their cables and bend the ground to counter the mecha-tanks pulling.
Bolin created an entrance/exit which looked quite deep.

So, why didn't they drop the ground beneath the mecha-tanks, then crushed their lower parts?
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I wonder how much time that deep hole took. And Bolin was not making it under pressure.

How big a hole have we seen Toph make in seconds?
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

JME2 wrote:This also adds new context to why Amon went after the Triads as his first demonstration. I suspect taking Zolt Bolt down was a condition of Sato's involvement. The big question is how long he's been working with Amon.
Lightning Bolt Zolt was leader of the Triple Threat Triads; Mrs Sato was killed by a member of the Agni Kais. Amon almost certainly went after Zolt simply because he's the biggest and baddest 489 in the city.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Let me tell you every time I see Lin I'm more impressed. Not only does she fight three on one but she instantly bends her armor to make blades to go to town on the Mechs. Gotta say I liked the steam punk look to the Mechs even if they seem to be swiss army mechs. It looks almost like they were adapted from something else given the number of things they do and various ports that pop open. I hope we get to see a MK II much more weaponized version at some point because the current ones are kind of a hot mess. The only reason the equalists won the fight was lack of water benders and enclosed fighting area. Korra again goes right for Fire bending, some water tribe you are but it makes sense from her perspective lacking any water to bend with even if she does tear up the floor to throw some rocks.

Wish we got to see Asami in action before she dropped her father and Amon's Lt in under three seconds.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ellindsey
Youngling

Post by Ellindsey »

That was an astonishing amount of platinum. Either it's more common on the world of Avatar than it is on ours, or Sato must have spent a fortune to gather enough for that door and those mechs. Given the explanation for why metalbenders can't bend it, I suspect gold would have worked, but it's probably too soft and heavy and would be vulnerable to firebenders. Silver probably is too reactive to be 'pure' enough to be immune to metalbenders.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

tezunegari wrote:Why didn't the Metal-bender use the ground to their advantage.
Sato himself told them the door and the mecha-tanks are bender-proof.
But they were obviously able to bend the surface they stood on.
Metal bending is a very specialized form of Earth bending, which brings up two questions:
How much of their training in general Earth bending was sacrificed to train them in metal bending ?
How much of their earth bending skills have atrophied through lack of use ?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ford Prefect wrote:
JME2 wrote:This also adds new context to why Amon went after the Triads as his first demonstration. I suspect taking Zolt Bolt down was a condition of Sato's involvement. The big question is how long he's been working with Amon.
Lightning Bolt Zolt was leader of the Triple Threat Triads; Mrs Sato was killed by a member of the Agni Kais. Amon almost certainly went after Zolt simply because he's the biggest and baddest 489 in the city.
True. I was merely suggesting there was an ulterior motive in taking down Zolt. I'm sure that Sato laid out conditions for his alliance with Amon and taking out the Agni Kai's leader was likely one of them. Amon merely killed two birds with one stone.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Regarding Lin's battle prowess, I noticed upon re-watching episode 6 that after she grabs two of the chi-blockers with her wires, she actually bends the metal frame of the arena's roof to launch them out of the area. It's so fast that I didn't notice what actually happened until the third or fourth viewing - I had assumed she had just thrown them with the wires, but she'd already retracted them.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

It seems Lin arguably might have taken out one of those steam punk mecha. Tenzin and Korra look to have the better of Sato before the other mecha came to help. I am still not sure how Amon expects to win against the sheer number of Benders the Avatarverse has. Even if one mecha can take on five, it must be "cheaper" to produce benders than create mecha like that.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

mr friendly guy wrote:It seems Lin arguably might have taken out one of those steam punk mecha. Tenzin and Korra look to have the better of Sato before the other mecha came to help. I am still not sure how Amon expects to win against the sheer number of Benders the Avatarverse has. Even if one mecha can take on five, it must be "cheaper" to produce benders than create mecha like that.
Remember how surprised Korra was about metal benders in the first episode ?

That, and them being led by the daughter of the person who invented metal bending, says that metal benders are rare. So send the platinum mecha against the known metal bender groups (if there are any more of them), mass produced mecha of a cheaper metal against everyone else.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

bilateralrope wrote: That, and them being led by the daughter of the person who invented metal bending, says that metal benders are rare.
For that matter how commonplace is lightning generation among firebenders? We saw Mako doing it while working at a power plant.

And wouldn't lightning be better for taking down those mecha than just blasting them with fire?
Needs moar dakka
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

MrDakka wrote:And wouldn't lightning be better for taking down those mecha than just blasting them with fire?
Seeing that the electric discharges the mecha use to fry some metal-benders don't zap their own operators, it stands to reason that the vehicles are conveniently insulated.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Earthbenders would probably own the mecha on open ground. They can literally bury them alive and then crack the cockpit open at their leisure. We saw what happens when Earthbenders face against armored vehicles in Original Series. It is not pretty having your tank impaled by a spike of solid rock.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Sarevok wrote:Earthbenders would probably own the mecha on open ground. They can literally bury them alive and then crack the cockpit open at their leisure. We saw what happens when Earthbenders face against armored vehicles in Original Series. It is not pretty having your tank impaled by a spike of solid rock.
That's when the Equalists use their Future Industries Drillmobiles to ambush them from below!

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I was wondering if the MetalBenders were "blinded" by their own talent. The floor was stone/earth, and obviously could be bended. The Mecha rolled forward on treads. Instead of trying to use their metal wires to bind (like they would a normal prisoner), the MetalBenders should have toppled the Mecha via Earth-bending a ramp, or just a pillar under one tread. Or opened a sinkhole under it.

No one, not even Korra, thought of that.

I do want to mention we finally got to see Tenzin in full fighting mode, and he was far more confident than Aang seemed to be. He also took Aang's "airball" technique and made a Wheel out of it, which gae him great maneuverabilty, and looked really good.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

The Metalbenders were confident that they could overpower the mechs with their whipfist like wires. Indeed they were almost able had not they been electrocuted which was something they were not expecting.

But yes I agree traditional Earthbending would be lot more useful against Amons goons. For instance Earth armor may be weaker than metal armor against other benders. But it is absolutely immune to electric shocks. Earthbending based attacks are also lot more effective. When Tarloks task force made it's raid the metalbenders took down chi blockers in 2 seconds flat when they used Eartbending instead of fancy wire tricks.

That said I am kind of annoyed how easily chi blockers dodge bending attacks. That kind of agility is not normal and the series subtly acknowledges this. Chi blockers move as fast as benders, they only lack the ranged attacks. This is why the gaunlets were made, as Amon said they let anyone wield the power of a chi blockers implying like bending it is something one is born with. People who are chi blockers are probably benders who do not have affinity for a particular element or the element they can bend is something so rare no one has found it yet.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Just rewatched the episode again. Lin KILLED the pilot of the battlemech she was attacking. Her blades had even had something that looked like blood them. Unexpected in a kids cartoon I guess but shows how fearsome a powerful Earthbender can be. Her attack reminded me of something similar in Battletech - where powered armor infantry have killed 30 feet high mechs by latching on to prevent being fired on, then ripping apart the cockpit with their claws and then gutting the panicking pilot.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Sarevok wrote:Just rewatched the episode again. Lin KILLED the pilot of the battlemech she was attacking. Her blades had even had something that looked like blood them.
Wow, really? And this is before she becomes a vigilante? :lol:
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Could've been hydraulic fluid, or something from the control panel. And even if it was blood, it doesn't necessarily mean a kill. She could've just winged him or something.

If she did kill him, it inadvertently means that the "Good guys" are the only ones with a body count so far. The lack of violence during a so called revolution (and earlier the war) is something that's always bugged me about Avatar. You know if this series were on any other channel, Amon would be doing more than just de-powering benders.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Darksider wrote:Could've been hydraulic fluid, or something from the control panel. And even if it was blood, it doesn't necessarily mean a kill. She could've just winged him or something.

If she did kill him, it inadvertently means that the "Good guys" are the only ones with a body count so far. The lack of violence during a so called revolution (and earlier the war) is something that's always bugged me about Avatar. You know if this series were on any other channel, Amon would be doing more than just de-powering benders.
Are you saying that nobody died in all those crashed police blimps ?