Legend of Korra "Spirit of Competition" Talkback

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Legend of Korra "Spirit of Competition" Talkback

Post by Steve »

So, here we are, Ep 5 of the series, and we finally resume the pro bending tournament storyline, along with material intentionally meant to incite the shippers into nigh-murderous frenzies.

After the last two episodes having a less-serious one was key. Korra needs the time to mentally recover from her confrontation with Amon and the pace of the show demanded an easing of the throttle. Pema's remarks on Tenzin's "other love" hint at possible backstory, but may just likely be something to fluff out the characters.

We now have confirmation that Korra did train with Katara in waterbending, including the healing arts.

I'm wondering if we'll ever see the waterbender that Korra replaced on the Fire Ferrets.

And, finally... seeing Bolin and how he seems so much like Sokka, I recollect the episode "The Avatar and the Firelord", when Roku reveals that he trained alongside Gyatso and was friends with him. "Some friendships are so strong they can even transcend lifetimes." I now wonder if they'll be exploring that theme in this series...
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: Legend of Korra "Spirit of Competition" Talkback

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, it was a good chance to take a breather from the Equalist storyline -- although, given the preview trailers for Book 1...
Spoiler
...it looks like Amon will be crashing the tournament finals.
I agree it was a nice touch that Katara taught Korra the healing aspect of waterbending.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

This episode succeeded fantastically at making me yell at the characters for being idiots.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I only half paid attention to this one, to be honest, because I could see where it was going for the most part.

But the "walk in on the wrong moment and break your heart" bit was done in such a way that, despite my dislike off the cliche, they made it work with Bolin's (over) reaction.

That sold me on it an I paid more attention from then on in the episode.

Damn the reactions in this series are just wonderfully comic.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

open_sketchbook wrote:This episode succeeded fantastically at making me yell at the characters for being idiots.
Love makes people do idiotic things. They are teenage for the most part, young, still maturing.... Just witness how badly Korra took Pema's advice.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Majin Gojira wrote:But the "walk in on the wrong moment and break your heart" bit was done in such a way that, despite my dislike off the cliche, they made it work with Bolin's (over) reaction.
Something I really liked about this episode was how it used humor to keep from descending into melodrama. The tone was balanced very well.

Something I'm very much displeased with, however, is the lack of development for Asami. She's still just a love interest/romantic complication, and nothing more. Her perspective should have been explored in this episode as well. It frustrates me that this whole drama happened with her apparently being none the wiser of it.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I already don't like the look of this episode, and I've only seen the recap at the beginning.

No. Love is not Korra's most formidable foe. That would be the guy who has been telling her that he's going to cripple her at his leisure. You know, the one who has been haunting her nightmares.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Fifty Yuans says that the Wolfbat's leading jerkface gets his Bending taken away by Amon.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Zor wrote:Fifty Yuans says that the Wolfbat's leading jerkface gets his Bending taken away by Amon.

Zor
That'd be pretty striking if they did that before the final match, with the Fire Ferrets winning a default victory with none of the glory. Would the show go there?

In any case, it's probably going to be a big part of the next episode, which is titled "And the winner is . . ". The next episode after that is ominously called "The Aftermath", which makes me wonder if the Equalists are going to make a terror attack on the Pro-Bending Final Match.
Zor wrote:Fifty Yuans says that the Wolfbat's leading jerkface gets his Bending taken away by Amon.
His name is Tahno, right? Someone may have isolated a clip where that happens.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

It will be awesome of the Wolfbat's leader did get his bending taken away. It would be in a way karmic on an unlikable sleezebag, and also another way to hype up how badass Amon is.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

Who wants to bet that Tenzin's other love was Chief Bei Fong ;)?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The thought crossed my mind too. Would explain in some part her cool attitude toward Tenzin in the pilot.

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

They're around the same age, so it's possible (and their parents certainly knew each other).

I'm curious as to who her father was.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I'm curious as to who her father was.
You and most of the fanbase.

An interesting theory, though; it definitely could explain their interaction in the pilot.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I'm curious as to who her father was.
I'm a fan of the theory that Toph carved her from the living rock and Aang breathed life into her. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

The Duke.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

evilsoup wrote:The Duke.
Probably. I remember the show-runners joking about that in the "Sozin's Comet" four-part ending commentary, calling it "Dolph".
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I also want to add that Pabu struggling to waddle across the noodle house floor might just be the funniest shot of Book 1 so far.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

JME2 wrote:I also want to add that Pabu struggling to waddle across the noodle house floor might just be the funniest shot of Book 1 so far.
No joke. I was cracking up at that.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Lord Relvenous wrote:
JME2 wrote:I also want to add that Pabu struggling to waddle across the noodle house floor might just be the funniest shot of Book 1 so far.
No joke. I was cracking up at that.
I'm still pissed that we haven't seen any Korra merchandise hit shelves yet. I want a Pabu plushie very badly. :)
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Bolin: "You are not my brother... you... brother-betrayer!"
While being drunk on Watertribe food...
Gold, pure gold.

There should be more shows like AtlA and ALoK.
JME2 wrote:I'm still pissed that we haven't seen any Korra merchandise hit shelves yet. I want a Pabu plushie very badly. :)
Seconded. I also want a Naga plushie!

Funny thing: According to the Avatar wiki on wikia "Naga" means "no" in Inuit... considering that the Watertribe is the closest thing to Inuit in the Avatarverse one has to wonder why this cuddly little furball was named that. Oh, the opportunities for a special. :mrgreen:
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

tezunegari wrote:Bolin: "You are not my brother... you... brother-betrayer!"
While being drunk on Watertribe food...
Gold, pure gold.
"The only one I can trust anymore is Pabu!" :D
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I Thought this episode was kinda meh, which is surprising considering I usually despise romance-centric stuff. I suppose the humor and that adorable little ferret thing kept me from hating it completely.

Still I really hope they don't spend too much time on the love triangle bullshit and remember that there's a steampunk doctor doom to deal with.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Well it seems like they... didn't exactly resolve it, but I don't think it's going to be a weeping sore of an issue.

But I expect that Amon et al are going to gain the initiative...
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash