"Game of Thrones" on HBO (spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

"Game of Thrones" on HBO (spoilers)

Post by Jade Owl »

Well, it looks like the wait is over. HBO has picked up the first season of Game of Thrones, the series adapting George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series.

About damn time! Now they can go ahead and cast Littlefinger. I can’t wait to see this.
Last edited by Dalton on 2011-04-19 08:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modify thread title
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Re: HBO greenlights "Game of Thrones"

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Now if only he could get around to releasing that damned next book of his.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Is it just me, or does it look like they cast Frodo Baggins as Robb Stark?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I thought they'd already done that. Or was that just the pilot or something?

Meh, in either case, the subpar Feast Of Crows and long wait for the book with the really interesting characters has pretty much killed my enthusiasm for GRRM stuff.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Oh fuck yes. You made the right move HBO. I've had my eye on this for a long time and the fan lists of "dream team" of who to cast for most of the roles seems to have gotten filled. This is the first thing in a very long time I'm going to call outstanding.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

YES!

Now I just have to sign up for HBO (the article said it debuts next spring).

It's pretty damn cool that they got Sean Bean to play Ned Stark - the mental image fits well.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

About damn time! Now they can go ahead and cast Littlefinger. I can’t wait to see this.
Tywin too, among other characters. It's a pity we won't get the person I have in mind for Tywin (Patrick Stewart, although he's getting a little old).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

Crazedwraith wrote:I thought they'd already done that. Or was that just the pilot or something?
Just the pilot, which is completed. The news is that based on it, HBO has picked up the series and ordered another 9 episodes to complete the first season.

Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov "Bridle and Saddle" (aka "The Mayors", in Foundation), 1942.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

I'm really hoping they cast Dalip Singh as the mountain who rides.

Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Kodiak wrote:I'm really hoping they cast Dalip Singh as the mountain who rides.
How much dialogue does that character have? Dalip can't really speak english.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
How much dialogue does that character have? Dalip can't really speak english.
Not much, nothing more than along the lines of oh this

Big damn spoilers except they won't make any sense Spoiler
"Elia of Dorne," they all heard Ser Gregor say, when they were close enough to kiss. His deep voice boomed within the helm. "I killed her screaming whelp." He thrust his free hand into Oberyn's unprotected face, pushing steel fingers into his eyes. "Then I raped her." Clegane slammed his fist into the Dornishman's mouth, making splinteres of his teeth. "Then I smashed her ****ing head in. Like this." As he drew back his huge fist, the blood on his gauntlet seemed to smoke in teh cold down air. There was a sickening crunch."

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Mr Bean wrote: Big damn spoilers except they won't make any sense Spoiler
"Elia of Dorne," they all heard Ser Gregor say, when they were close enough to kiss. His deep voice boomed within the helm. "I killed her screaming whelp." He thrust his free hand into Oberyn's unprotected face, pushing steel fingers into his eyes. "Then I raped her." Clegane slammed his fist into the Dornishman's mouth, making splinteres of his teeth. "Then I smashed her ****ing head in. Like this." As he drew back his huge fist, the blood on his gauntlet seemed to smoke in teh cold down air. There was a sickening crunch."
IIRC that's almost his only line ever in the series. For a guy they call "The Mountain Who Rides" it seems like it's more important to get someone that's a physical match than a great actor.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

He has some lines in 'Game Of Thrones' (The book) in the war council (An outrider who sees nothing has no use for his eyes, pull them out and give them to his replacement. Tell him you hope four eyes will see better than two, if not, well the next man will have six eyes)

But yeah, talking is not really the Mountain's strong point.

Tangetially, I'm amused you decided the sensor the swear word in that passage Bean, consider what the rest if it is about.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Crazedwraith wrote:He has some lines in 'Game Of Thrones' (The book) in the war council (An outrider who sees nothing has no use for his eyes, pull them out and give them to his replacement. Tell him you hope four eyes will see better than two, if not, well the next man will have six eyes)

But yeah, talking is not really the Mountain's strong point.

Tangetially, I'm amused you decided the sensor the swear word in that passage Bean, consider what the rest if it is about.
I pulled it from a quotes database with swear word already struck and I agree it's ironic the swear word gets the axe considering what the passage describes.

GeorgeOrr
Youngling

Post by GeorgeOrr »

HBO has previewed 12 minutes of the series and you can view it here. For an embedded version, go here.

I have not read the books and I most likely never will, but the preview shows promise.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

I'm pretty sure the spoiler'd quote up above is the most Gregor Clegane ever says at one time, and most of the other stuff he says will sound fine as long as the actor can look menacing whilst saying it (and avoid sounding completely wooden).

The preview looks well done, but watching it may give viewers the wrong idea, what with that plot thread being a tertiary focus until several books in.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looking over the old conversation here. I looked up Game Of Thrones on imdb; apparently one 'Conan Stevens' will be playing the mountain.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/fullcredits

It also states oddly that most of the cast are only going to be in two episodes, including most of the Starks/Jon Snow and Danearys. Surely that can't be right? Or is it something to do with pilots vs the whole series? Oddly Rodrik Cassel is listen as appearing three more episodes than Catelyn and Samwell Tarly is down for five more episodes than Jon...
Jade Owl
Padawan Learner

Post by Jade Owl »

Crazedwraith wrote:It also states oddly that most of the cast are only going to be in two episodes, including most of the Starks/Jon Snow and Danearys. Surely that can't be right? Or is it something to do with pilots vs the whole series? Oddly Rodrik Cassel is listen as appearing three more episodes than Catelyn and Samwell Tarly is down for five more episodes than Jon...
It’s a mistake. IMDb isn’t the most reliable source in the Internet. All the first season episodes have been filmed and are finishing postproduction.

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Well, the premiere was today and looked pretty sweet. I'm not particularly happy about the usual HBO "RAR! Titsblood" thing, but I understand that it makes the ratings.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I saw it tonight. It was pretty damn awesome, and very faithful to the book for the most part.
Spoiler
1. Tyrion and Jaime Lannister stole the show. Their parts were easily the best in the episode, and very funny (at least until Jaime pushed Bran off the tower window sill).

2. The actress playing Daenerys is very pretty, especially when naked (although not when crying before unwanted sex with an unwanted husband). I think the girl that Tyrion was fucking was hotter, though.

3. I liked Viserys, but he seems a little off. He needs to come across as more unstable and temperamental.

4. Lots of good scenery and food imagery. I can't wait until we get a look at the Wall.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Viserys doesn't get unstable and temperamental right away. It isn't until they go back to the big meeting-place where all the barbarians hang out til he starts to get all irritated and then Drogo crowns him.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Overall I thought that it was pretty spot on, there were a few nitpick differences, but honestly things like Visery's eye colour don't really matter that much to me anyway, the biggest change to me was the consummation of Daenerys(sp?) and Drogo's wedding, it was a bit of a change of tone from the book.

The only thing that bugged me was the fact that HBO likes showing breasts at 9pm on a Sunday, even though I read the books I was a little surprised seeing they hadn't changed that on TV.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It's HBO. The fact that they're a premium subscription cable channel (with no commercials, and thus no advertisers to appease) means that they can basically show whatever they think will bring in and hold subscribers. Breasts and violence seems to please viewers, if shows like Spartacus, The Tudors, and Californication are any indicators.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Saw it, loved it, the casting choices were all spot on with the exception of one Cat who once again manages to be the second most hated character in the Song of Ice and Fire and I think they flubbed her casting, normally not an issue except for the fact that every single other casting choice was on the ball spot on.

*Edit can we get a title change to HBO's a Game of Thrones (Spoilers) or some such since the show is now being... shown?

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I like the fact that they managed to capture how Cersei generally appears charming to many people in the books. We tend to see her at her worst (and getting inside her head at one point doesn't help), but it's not like she comes across as an evil bitch to most of the people in-universe.

I'll second Bean. Could we get a split or re-name to fit the fact that the show is out?
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood