Iron Man grey suit photo online!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Iron Man grey suit photo online!

Post by Old Plympto »

Iron Man grey armour is shown here. Not too bad looking. The eyes seem a bit larger than usual. The shoulder pauldrons resemble the recent animated movie's grey armour. The mismatched pieces on the chestplate looks like it's really cobbled together quickly during Tony's incarceration.

Thoughts?

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Not bad honestly. I like the fact it's streamlined, but maintain a very bare look. It's one of the things I enjoyed of the original armor...it wasn't this ultra sleek skin tight suit, it was ARMOR.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

This is looking good. :)

I'm somewhat excited over this movie, since they're actually assembling a credible cast of actors, and from what I've heard they want to make this a serious adventure movie with a sense of verisimilitude (like Batman Begins). I'm hoping this could be be the film that turns Marvel movies around, after a string of flops and forgettable or dumbed down movies like Elektra, Blade Trinity, Fantastic Four, and X3 (which was an entertaining movie IMO, but lacked in the writing and really screwed Cyclops).
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Ghost Rider wrote:Not bad honestly. I like the fact it's streamlined, but maintain a very bare look. It's one of the things I enjoyed of the original armor...it wasn't this ultra sleek skin tight suit, it was ARMOR.
Yeah it looks very well done. Which time-frame for the origin are they using? I doubt they're using the 60's one, but I was afraid that with a more "modern" setting the first armor made in Stark's captivity would be too high-tech and covered in LED's and the like for a suit thrown together in a metalshop.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
BrandonMustang
Youngling

Post by BrandonMustang »

Do we know who the villiain is yet? The origin stories seem to always alternate between The Mandarin and Dr. Doom. Dr. Doom would be easier for a movie plot IMO but since the Fantastic Four movie used Dr. Doom already (and wanked him out power-wise as well as dumbed him down evil genius-wise), I don't know how they would handle it for Iron Man. I wonder how much of a priority continuity between franchises is over at Marvel Films.
The best thing you can do is the right thing. The second best thing you can do is the wrong thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.

-Ben Franklin
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

The villains will be Mandarin and Obadiah Stane. Stane has already been cast, although I don't know who's playing Mandarin. I've heard that they're going to come up with a less-outlandish origin for Mandarin's rings though.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
BrandonMustang
Youngling

Post by BrandonMustang »

Sweet. Mandarin's rings have had a few weird origins of their own. The most movie-compatible is just alien technology found in a spaceship that crashed on Earth a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. With the Venom Symbiote retaining it's outer space origin in Spider-Man 3, Mandarin's rings aren't that big of a stretch.
The best thing you can do is the right thing. The second best thing you can do is the wrong thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.

-Ben Franklin
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Perfect. It looks like it was cobbled together in secret, the way it should look. Between that and the cast, this is starting to look like it could be a really good movie.
BrandonMustang wrote:Sweet. Mandarin's rings have had a few weird origins of their own. The most movie-compatible is just alien technology found in a spaceship that crashed on Earth a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. With the Venom Symbiote retaining it's outer space origin in Spider-Man 3, Mandarin's rings aren't that big of a stretch.
As far as I know, that's the official comic continuity anyways. He found the rings in the wreck of a Makluan (Fin Fang Foom's race) spaceship.
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

As a representation of the original suit, I have to say it looks about perfect. Nice catch.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What'd be better is if this Iron Man was set in a retro-futuristic world, sorta like Sky Captain.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:What'd be better is if this Iron Man was set in a retro-futuristic world, sorta like Sky Captain.
Quite a few comic movies are already like that but the only ones I know of are DC movies.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Very nice; I'm having more hopes for this film than for the current mental state of Iron Prick...
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:What'd be better is if this Iron Man was set in a retro-futuristic world, sorta like Sky Captain.
I don't know, Iron Man has always been a superhero that I thought worked best in a perfectly "modern" setting.

I don't know of any sort of retro-futurism that was ever prevented for the character, anyway, so such a proposal to me seems to be a bit random and just for the sake of it...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

Looks pretty damn awsome. I've only been a quasi fan of IronMan as a characyer, but I always loved the different armors. I hope the incorporate a few different styles whithout making it into a 2 hour Iron fashion show. And lets hope they keep the armour believably state-of-the art. Just remember, when IronMan first came out he had intergrated cuircits amd micro-transistors, which where brand spanking nrw in the 60's.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Very cool, and as mentuioned before, very believeable. Hoping for the best.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

This works for me. It is sufficiently high-tech looking that I can believe that a super genius build it, and sufficiently "clunky" that it was build in difficult circumstances. That and it retains a surprising amount of the original comic book armor.
Now the REAL kicker is going to be how they do the high-tech armor, although this gives me a good feeling about the whole deal. The designers appear to know what they are doing.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: I don't know, Iron Man has always been a superhero that I thought worked best in a perfectly "modern" setting.

I don't know of any sort of retro-futurism that was ever prevented for the character, anyway, so such a proposal to me seems to be a bit random and just for the sake of it...
Yeah, but that armor there BEGS to just fight crazy flying saucers and shiny robots armed with heat rays that go "weeeew-weeeooooww!"

Set that Iron Man in the 50s, and have him challenge "futuristic" (for the 50s, at least) baddies, and viola! It'd be like those oldschool comic books! The ones where mad scientists actually bothered to use shrink rays and such.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

I am quite excited at the prospect of Iron Man getting back to his roots. Nothing is quite like the original premise of Iron Man as a thinly veiled allegory for American's technological superiority over the Reds. He should totally be kicking communist ass in the 60's.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote: I don't know, Iron Man has always been a superhero that I thought worked best in a perfectly "modern" setting.

Yeah, but that armor there BEGS to just fight crazy flying saucers and shiny robots armed with heat rays that go "weeeew-weeeooooww!"

Set that Iron Man in the 50s, and have him challenge "futuristic" (for the 50s, at least) baddies, and viola! It'd be like those oldschool comic books! The ones where mad scientists actually bothered to use shrink rays and such.
Except, for me at least, that's not Iron Man. That's something else.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Oddly enough, in his second issue Iron Man is seen briefly fighting a guy with a shrink ray. He electronically jams it using his suit. Also, Iron Man fights Gargantus, a robot replica of a giant monster caveman. Gargantus was created by aliens in an attempt to take over the world.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Okay, but that seems to be different compared to what Shroom is suggesting, which sounds like basing the idea of a retro-future setting solely from the simplistic and crude appearance of the original grey suit.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Ghetto Edit: The problem I have with that is that it sounds to me like, "hey, let's take Iron Man and totally do a movie that has nothing to do with Iron Man."

Anybody notice that the eyes on the suit aren't perfectly symmetrical?

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Yeah, old Iron Man is mostly just comic book silliness wrapped up in the 60's. This page has a good overview of Iron Man's first appearance.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Heh, well, I'm not really a big comic book buff anyway. But hey, if it's good, I'll like it. Giant robots with shrink rays that go "wooeeewwww-wooeeeeeoowww!" and flying saucers and other retro-futuristic crap would be way better than the Fantastic Four movie, anyway.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!