What can reliably kill wolverine?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

What can reliably kill wolverine?

Post by MKSheppard »

I'm reading a Marvel Knights Punny Wolverine cross over, and Wolverine takes a crossbow through the head, and five minutes later is walking around; likewise, he gets elventy billion bullets pumped into him from automatic weapons, and is moving minutes later.

I know that burning all the flesh from his body works, or electrocuting him works, but are there any other methods?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Re: What can reliably kill wolverine?

Post by TheDarkling »

MKSheppard wrote: I know that burning all the flesh from his body works,
Not any more, nitro burnt him down to his Skeleton and he was up and about a few minutes later.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Removing his head and keeping it far enough away from his body for long enough apparently does the trick.
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

But oddly enough ripping him in half ala Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine is not enough trauma for Logan to recover from.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

TheDarkling wrote:
Not any more, nitro burnt him down to his Skeleton and he was up and about a few minutes later.
That should be stricken from the record. FOREVER.

Goddamn how retarded.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
TheDarkling wrote:

Goddamn how retarded.
Yeah, I was livid when I found out about that.

God damn...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm sure if Supes was inclined he'd reduce Wolvie into charcoal, he'd be a gonner. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

From the Nitro example, fully wanked Wolverine can now regenerate from a small collection of cells, possibly from one single cell, reminds me of when his healing factor was cosmically charged in one of the Annuals, I guess he no longer needs the crystal after having the adamantium taken out, put back in, replaced with butter, melted down and stuffed with crab cakes, vacuum pumped out and filled with sawdust and finally being replaced with super duper adamantium

OF DOOOOOOOOOOM!
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
TheDarkling wrote:

Goddamn how retarded.
He flew through a frakking star with Phoenix and had all the flesh burned off his body too. Then regenerated from it. :?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

TheDarkling wrote:
I rolled my eyes when I heard about that too. Do these comic writers even THINK about the implications when they endlessly wank up their characters over the years?

How is Wolverine EVER going to be put in a life or death situation again? What can someone like Sabretooth do to him? Give him some nasty cuts? Rip his internal organs out? That's not enough anymore. :roll:

I heard that in some recent issues of Wolverine, they actually made the wank of regenerating from his skeleton (brain and everything else destroyed) a plot point. Some kind of "explanation" as to where Wolverine's "soul" goes when his brain is fried to a crisp. Is there anybody who has read this crap, and can explain it for me?
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, I'd say 'absolutely nothing'. Wolverine's healing power - like Punisher's badassedness - only hits limits when an author says so. There is no real way of predicting what that will be.

Also I hear Wolverine is a ninja. I heard about that plot, and I think it's *worse*. Healing is a part of Wolverine that got worse - what genius said 'yeah and he's also a ninja now lol'?
frogcurry
Padawan Learner

Post by frogcurry »

After thinking about this at work one day, and debating with a friend by email, we concluded that dumping him into a pot of molten metal, giving the metal a good stir, then cooling the metal right down fast to solidify it very quickly was the best idea.

Sure he can maybe regenerate from his bones (Which I guess would survive intact) - but can he regenerate when his bones are encased in ~ 100 tonnes of solid iron?
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Jim Raynor wrote:
Is there anybody who has read this crap, and can explain it for me?
I read it but I can't explain it to you.

Something about him fighting a battle in the afterlife.

As for how he can be threatened Wolverine Origins recently introduced a sword that can kill him (because it's so sharp or something stupid like that) and some chemical that retards his healing factor substantially.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

In Not Dead Yet it was stated that a high-velocity adamantium bullet fired into his skull would have killed him, but that was way back before his healing factor reached ludicrous levels.
TheDarkling wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:
Is there anybody who has read this crap, and can explain it for me?
I read it but I can't explain it to you.

Something about him fighting a battle in the afterlife.
His soul goes to limbo while his body regenerates and he fights some guy he killed, can't remember the name. Laezer or something. If Wolverine loses, he dies for good and get's to go heaven. If he wins, he gets sent back to his body once it's healed up.

Seriously.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

TheDarkling wrote:As for how he can be threatened Wolverine Origins recently introduced a sword that can kill him (because it's so sharp or something stupid like that) and some chemical that retards his healing factor substantially.
So basically Wolverine can now only be taken down for good by his own personal Kryptonite?
Manus Celer Dei wrote:His soul goes to limbo while his body regenerates and he fights some guy he killed, can't remember the name. Laezer or something. If Wolverine loses, he dies for good and get's to go heaven. If he wins, he gets sent back to his body once it's healed up.

Seriously.

:wtf:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

A reliable way to kill Wolverine?

Launch him into the center of the Sun!
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Majin Gojira wrote:A reliable way to kill Wolverine?

Um...
General Zod wrote:He flew through a frakking star with Phoenix and had all the flesh burned off his body too. Then regenerated from it.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

There's always the simple ways. Logan still needs to breathe, even if his lung capacity is greatly enhanced. Drowning or asphyxiating him should suffice (of course, given how they've wanked him lately, even THOSE may not work).
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Problem is he can regenerate from being dead. He can regenerate from being BONES. This is why taking it from 'healing factor' (a term I despise) to 'oh yeah he just GROWS IT BACK' was a terrible idea.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Nuclear bomb dropped on him?

In Days of Future Past he was killed by a sentinel that hit him with some beam weapon that left a smoking adamantium skeleton.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Bah, just toss/teleport him into space. Even if he's not dead, he's not achieving much either.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Lord Insanity wrote:

Um...
General Zod wrote:He flew through a frakking star with Phoenix and had all the flesh burned off his body too. Then regenerated from it.
Majin Gojira statement had the implicit and leave him there on the end of it. He sure as fuck isnt going to be climbing out of the Sun's gravity well unassisted.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Lord Insanity wrote:

Um...
Yeah, but flying through a star and falling to the core of the star are different things. He would need some retarded invincibility against the constant vast bombardment of energy and pressure.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Drop him into a black hole. I doubt being turned into a thin stream of degenerate subatomic matter is something he could easily bounce back from.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Xon wrote: Majin Gojira statement had the implicit and leave him there on the end of it. He sure as fuck isnt going to be climbing out of the Sun's gravity well unassisted.
For some dumbass reason I was picturing him flying back out the other side. Narf. :oops:
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka