Favorite methods of fantays travel

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Favorite methods of fantays travel

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Airships, Flying islands, Fantastical animals. Fantasy as a whole as a great wealth of wonderous ways to convay us around.

Personally, my favorite is the CatBus
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The space-galleon. It's iconic on so many levels.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The Steampunk flying battleship is always my preferable method of travel. All the comforts of a battleship with all the practicality of hoisting 20000 tones of metal into the air and expecting it to stay there.

Truly, a society that can mass-prodice these monstrosities should be feared. Or CAT scanned.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Vanas wrote:The Steampunk flying battleship is always my preferable method of travel. All the comforts of a battleship with all the practicality of hoisting 20000 tones of metal into the air and expecting it to stay there.

Truly, a society that can mass-prodice these monstrosities should be feared. Or CAT scanned.
Indeed.

For the flory of Anatoray! Strike down the invading Disith bastards!

Best care anywhere.
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

The Dragon powered steam engine train from an alternate, nazi controlled Britain from Marvel's Excalibur back in the late 80's.
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Re: Favorite methods of fantays travel

Post by slebetman »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: Personally, my favorite is the CatBus
I'll second the catbus.

Of course, the ultimate fantasy mount is, and will always be a flying dragon. Wait.. I change my mind, the ultimate fantasy mount would be a T-Rex. Unfortunately I don't know of any movie that has people riding T-Rexes.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Man, I hope 'fantasy' doesn't equal 'steampunk' these days. Not only is 'steampunk' a stupid term - even stupider than 'cyberpunk', which was at least coined back when punk was vaguely relevant - but steampunk is a tiny, under-the-radar part of fantasy.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

My favourite form of fantasy travel? Teleportation portals. Get where you want to go instantaneously.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'm not a fan of fixed portals, I much prefer summonable single-use portals. That isn't very useful for 'public transport' of course, but in a fantasy game situation it's flexible, long ranged and fast.
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Post by slebetman »

Stark wrote:I'm not a fan of fixed portals, I much prefer summonable single-use portals. That isn't very useful for 'public transport' of course, but in a fantasy game situation it's flexible, long ranged and fast.
Ah, you're talking about Doraemon's magic doors :wink: Talking of Doraemon, I also like the helicopter cap.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

My favorite : Shadow-walking. Just walk or ride and you'll end up any place you can imagine.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:My favorite : Shadow-walking. Just walk or ride and you'll end up any place you can imagine.
Sheer brilliance, but for the most fun you combine shadow-walking with something really fun like a flying turtle helicopter in a high tech shadow (hint - these two things are mutually incompatible it ends REALLY badly).
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

as a member of the courts of chaos I'll have to go with Logrus/pattern.

now if you'll excuse me I have some slauching to do.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

Almost forgot, The "Transportayion og the Gods" opened up by the cosmic cap on Mighty Max. Placed in all sorts of random spots, and you never know whenyou might run across one.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Stark wrote:I'm not a fan of fixed portals, I much prefer summonable single-use portals. That isn't very useful for 'public transport' of course, but in a fantasy game situation it's flexible, long ranged and fast.
Well, if it's scifi I like teleporter booths, if it's fantasy I like those waypoints you see in games like Diablo 2 or Titan Quest. Although I like the scrolls of town portal you burned up in Diablo 1.

It should be pointed out I also like shadow teleportation.
Jedi Master

Re: Favorite methods of fantays travel

Post by avatarxprime »

slebetman wrote:*snip* Wait.. I change my mind, the ultimate fantasy mount would be a T-Rex. Unfortunately I don't know of any movie that has people riding T-Rexes.
Well there's always Futurama with Fry riding a T-Rex and surely some random "we're trapped in prehistory or something really like it" show has had some kids riding a T-Rex. Wasn't there some dinosaur fantasy art a while back......Dinotopia I believe, that surely had something along those lines.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Airships, no doubt about it. Specifically, the Aurora from the Secret Adventures of Jules Verne, man that was a beautiful ship.

And yes, I'm a steampunk whore.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

The Escaflowne, a giant robot that transforms into a dragon. Yes, it has some flaws-- you need to get an energist to power it, preferably a fresh one you just cut out of a dragon's chest, and it curses you so whatever damage it receives, you receive-- but it's hard to beat the Escaflowne for sheer coolness.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Time Slicing, as used by Lu-Tze and the rest of the barmy brigade in No Such Monastery.

Barring that, Airships.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

spongyblue wrote:Almost forgot, The "Transportayion og the Gods" opened up by the cosmic cap on Mighty Max. .
Hot damn I loved that show :D .

Still while all these nifty ¨Time-slicing¨methods are all well and good, give me a simple versatily scroll (Or wand,Rod) of Tekeport anyday.
Go anywhere instantly without bothering with fixed emplacements or shadowbeasts eating your soul :twisted:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Sidewinder wrote:The Escaflowne, a giant robot that transforms into a dragon. Yes, it has some flaws-- you need to get an energist to power it, preferably a fresh one you just cut out of a dragon's chest, and it curses you so whatever damage it receives, you receive-- but it's hard to beat the Escaflowne for sheer coolness.
If I was infering right from that episode, the curse was because of Vaan's bloodline, not a part of the standard Energist/Bloodpact.

Chocobos are interesting, though one has to hope they don't have the bone structure of earth's terrestrial flightless birds.

Though, if you've seen it, Howl's castle is close to the top of my list.

Hard to pick just one.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I'd be terrified to go near a chocobo. Those things are fierce: an indefinite number of hit points, an aura of fear so great that even the most fearsome of malboros and tonberries dare not attack you, and if you really piss them off, they summon a meteor on top of you. I tell you, they're nasty pieces of work. The people of Final Fantasyverse are just lucky that they're always hopped up on Greens.

Personally, I've always been a fan of horses. I don't particularly like travel in fantasy to be too convenient.

ROAR!!!!! says GOJIRA!!!!!
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Dragons. Particularly the ones from Pern, which can teleport, and time travel, as well as the usual range of options.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

walking

usually in fantasy, (well in the fantasy anime that i have seen) people who walk everywhere are usually the most badass people in the whole story, so ill walk everywhere
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Patrick Degan wrote:The space-galleon. It's iconic on so many levels.
Seconded. You cannot beat piracy in the deep dark.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter