The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Rogue 9 »

Probably by devoting to it what he would to writing the next book, and having the next book later.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Next one is up, and oh, BURN
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, anyone have guesses what Elan's plan is?
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

I know he is an evil hateful little fuck, but I am going to miss Belkar so much.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Why are you going to miss Belkar? He's not dying is he?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Why are you going to miss Belkar? He's not dying is he?
Depends on how much faith you put in the words of the Oracle and how you want to interpret "will draw his last breath by the end of the year" etc etc
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hmmm. Last breath...

Maybe he'll become a vampire, or a golem, or a walking pile of ranch dressing, or something.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0837.html

Maybe they should just be logical about it and keep turning right.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

You went to the Windy Canyon and didn't prepare Control Winds? Bad Cleric! Bad!

Though it'd be ignoring advice from Roy, Elan may decide to try and redeem his dad ala Luke Skywalker. That negates him as an enemy and tyrant while making it unlikely he'll be forever remembered as one of the greatest villains to ever live. And/or he may enlist the assistance of his mother or any previously unknown relations on his mother's side.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmm. Today's strip is up. Not sure the one a day strips are improving matters.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I think the Kobold is the ideal replacement for Belkar.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Gentlemen, the pledge drive approaches...

And people are getting butthurt about it. :lol:

As for the comic, producing quickly pretty much inevitably means we're going to get a lot of gags and not a lot of development. I'm not surprised, but I'll take it; at least he knows how to do a good gag with his characters. :)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

To be fair, its only one guy that's upset, and he appears to be a colossal douche since long before this.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

839 is up.

Interesting. Spoiler
A Mayan pyramid.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Elusive illusionist's abode is illusory. I'm with Haley on this one, definitly a trap.

On the other hand, it's a trap that could set off an alarm, or otherwise alert Girard that there are adventurers here who want to talk, so I'm laying odds they walk right in anyways.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This whole deal with the illusions confuses me on some level. I would think Girard would want some way for someone from the outside world to communicate with him- but then, I don't think like a paranoid Chaotic illusionist.
Sabastian Tombs
Youngling

Post by Sabastian Tombs »

Simon_Jester wrote:...think Girard would want some way for someone from the outside world to communicate with him- but then, I don't think like a paranoid Chaotic illusionist.
That's generally considered a good thing. :D

As far as communicating with the outside world, a network of spies and contacts could handle that.
"The real trouble with this world of ours is not that it is an unreasonable world, nor even that it is a reasonable one.
The commonest kind of trouble is that it is nearly reasonable, but not quite.
Life is not an illogicality, yet it is a trap for logicians.
It looks just a little more mathematical and regular than it is; its' exactitude is obvious; but its' inexactitude is hidden; its' wildness lies in wait."
-G. K. Chesterton
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Belkar has been kicked (more than) one million times !

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

If, like me, you've been waiting until the last minute to donate*...

...wait a couple hours longer so the last day can be stupid-huge. ;)

*something the butt-hurt-ites don't seem to understand is it isn't actually "donations"; it's pre-ordering. 98% (by money) of the orders are getting more than the $10 thank-you magnet and exclusive PDFs.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, yes, but if I were in his shoes, I'd want other people to have a way to contact him. Which requires that he have some method of receiving communications that he doesn't know someone wants to send him, but which doesn't actively try to kill whoever wants to talk.

This is a serious problem with the way he secured his gate, for example. Any of the other gates, if someone just wants to walk up to the damn gate and tell the guardian that it's in danger of attack, they can. Someone can warn Soon or Dorukan or Lirian that there's a real danger to their gate.

But it's impossible to warn Girard, because as far as we can tell there's no way to get in touch with him.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

#840 Is Up And once again. V is kinda being a dick. Was s/he always this amoral?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Probably. Remember Evard's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion? Or casting Cone of Cold on Elan to shut him up?

V will always do things that seem immediately practical, even if they're morally ambiguous. You could probably make a good case for neutral alignment.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

No more than using the creature/person in battle then after battle having it walk off the nearest, drown in a lake or ocean. Once we had it walk into the volcano. Which is no worse than having a person throw someone off the cliff after a battle. Whats really wrong is the video floating out there of a bunch of asses throwing a wide awake perfecty health dog off a cliff. Then the bastard had the audicity to zoom in on the dog as it lies belaeding to death.

Is it wrong to feel more for dog than the jackass up top if he fell.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I remember doing that with summoned creatures. Good times.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Darmalus wrote:I remember doing that with summoned creatures. Good times.
Summoned creatures at least can't die that way, so while it's certainly not nice (since they presumably still feel pain), at least they can't die that way (and vanish once they hit 0 HP, so they don't feel the pain of dying and the worst wounds either).

Also, shame on Haley for not keeping her Search skill maxed. I understand that she hasn't been in a dungeon for a long time, but still :roll:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)