Favorite Wizard / Sorceress from Fantasy

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

SirNitram wrote: I quite agree, Raistlin's weakness made him a very well-rounded character. Karsus was simply insanely powerful and insane.
That is kind of why I chose Amberglas because she has alot of personailty and teh way she played at being such an airhead yet was a really powerful wizard and was always able to get the information across.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Dalamar Argent...now HE SUFFERED for his art....
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
SHODAN
Padawan Learner

Post by SHODAN »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Dalamar Argent...now HE SUFFERED for his art....
And thanks to inane 2nd edition level limitations for demihumans, was eternally condemned as level 12 mage. :cry:
In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

In third edition he is far stronger
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Simon H.Johansen wrote: Why?? Have you written a fanfic where you are an all-powerful sorceress?
I would never be so pretentious. I was going to nominate Chuko Liang, from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
SHODAN
Padawan Learner

Post by SHODAN »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:In third edition he is far stronger
I'm not familiar with 3rd edition Krynn, but good for him. How much stronger?
In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

The campaign setting comes out in August....

There is no way in hell from hs demonstrated abilities in Dalamar the Dark that he is stuck at 12th level.

He cast finger of death, a level 7 spell, without having line of sight.

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Simon H.Johansen wrote: Why?? Have you written a fanfic where you are an all-powerful sorceress?
I would never be so pretentious.
Sorry. However, I have encountered at least one fanfics where the author(s) makes himself/herself a major character. *cough*Perversions Of The Force*cough*
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

While not my all time favourite wizard: Walter "Wiz" Zumwalt from the series you can find the 1st 2 books here is amusing.

A normal guy (who is a programmer) gets transported to a world were magic fudementally very easy to use for anyone. Later in the series, there is a scene were they try & play poker. They all get straights(5 of a kind) from a normal card pack.

The amusing part is; it compares the wizards there as equivelent to 'machine' programmers (programming raw 1's & 0's), and some wizard pulls the main character into their world to teach them structured programming with a high level language :D

Sufficiently complicated spells have a physical manifestation called a 'daemon'(which links in nicely with the programming concept).

As for why the main character isnt Uber powerful, well he was to write the compiler, virtual machine (which takes some instructions and does magical operations), & support tools. Then write the spells them selves.

The spoken word password cracker was just great! He creates a daemon which does a dictionary attack aided by knowlage of the spoken language (as there are only a limited number of combinations you can make a word out of) and speaks really fast.

As an example for the 1st spell he cast:
He wanted to create a light breeze to float a scrap of cloth on, however he forgot to put an end condition how much wind power to provide. it generated a magical hurricane(he had some problems speaking the comamnds to stop it).

And Wiz wants to be even more carefull too. Cos you dont want to see what a system halt looks like from the inside.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

The ones from Archon. Coincidentally, they're called Wizard and Sorceress respectively.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Ambrose from Willingham's Elementals and Ironwood...

Ok, he's really from The Arthurian Legends, but the sight of a Shapeshifting half demon, whose really the Merlin, and often takes the form of a kid just so that you will underestimate him...

Ok, and howmany of these "All Powerful wizards are really Pervs at heart, and have hot tempered Redheads for wives....

Dude he's one of the funnyier versions of Merlinus Ambrosius I have encountered too.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Caledor... Saved the entire Warhammer world from Chaos, by creating a system to redirect parts of the Warp Energy. Second only to Aenarion, in the legends of the High Elves... Basically he saved the World, and still lives, okay he's stuck on the Isle of the Dead until the end of the World, but he's still there still saving the World.

I was going to say Teclis for teaching Humanity Magic, and defeating entire Tzeentch Cabal's Single handedly. And having the power to destroy greater Deamon's with a Word, but then remembered that Caledor could do all this and more, during a time when Magic was stronger.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I still gotta go with Gandalf.

After that, probably Irenicus.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Darth Gojira wrote:Tim the Enchanter! :lol:
Seconded! :lol:

Other than Tim, I don't really know all that many wizards, because I'm not really into fantasy. I love Arthurian legend, and Merlin's cool and all, but I couldn't say he was my favourite. I'd be tempted to say Aslan from the Chronicles of Narnia, but he's a god, really, although he does some wizardy things (as gods are free to do as they please, of course). And the only other wizard I can think of that I love heaps and heaps is Ron Weasley, so....go ahead. Shoot me. I'm ready for it. 8)
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The "sorcerers" from Last Call by Tim Powers were reeeeally cool. They play with the laws of chance and the powers of archetypes in nature.

Otherwise, Shimrod from the Lyonesse books was seriously awesome.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe