hulk vs godzilla

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Some Godzilla Numbers

For Durrability: He spent Years inside of a Volcano and emerged fresh as a Daisy. He SWAM in the earths mantel, which he was sumerged for several days. He then burst out of mount Fuji unharmed.

Now, for physical Strength:

He's lifted many times his own weight: Heisie lifting the most at 165,000 tons of Mechagodzilla II. which he Jerked and threw (well over 120m) with apparent ease.

His breath weapon, if i recall correctly, was called at 4-5 Kilotons per second at its strongest. though GMK Godzilla's beam is undoubtedly stronger.

As for Regeneration:

His most insane regenerative ability display occurs in Gvs.Destroyer, where he instnatly heals from being sliced in half at the waist. sure, it was mot a very wide wound, but it went all the way through him, and at the time, his heart was melting down so most of his regenerative abilities were being pushed to the limit.

These are mostly numbers from the Heisie Godzilla (1990-1995). Other Godzillas vary in strength and power, but do not provide hard numbers to work with.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Crazy Goji wrote:That wasn't the original Godzilla either. The original Godzilla was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer. The one you are thinking of his the Heisei Godzilla. He was a second one that didn't rise until 1985.
I thought that Godzilla 1985 was in fact the original. I probably should have said true Godzilla instead.

Incidentally, does anyone know the name of that creature who was Godzilla in all but name? In his debut, which was released shortly after the original Godzilla, he was sealed by an avalanche. IIRC, he was the creature that fought King Kong.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Majin Gojira wrote:Some Godzilla Numbers

For Durrability: He spent Years inside of a Volcano and emerged fresh as a Daisy. He SWAM in the earths mantel, which he was sumerged for several days. He then burst out of mount Fuji unharmed.

Now, for physical Strength:

He's lifted many times his own weight: Heisie lifting the most at 165,000 tons of Mechagodzilla II. which he Jerked and threw (well over 120m) with apparent ease.

His breath weapon, if i recall correctly, was called at 4-5 Kilotons per second at its strongest. though GMK Godzilla's beam is undoubtedly stronger.

As for Regeneration:

His most insane regenerative ability display occurs in Gvs.Destroyer, where he instnatly heals from being sliced in half at the waist. sure, it was mot a very wide wound, but it went all the way through him, and at the time, his heart was melting down so most of his regenerative abilities were being pushed to the limit.

These are mostly numbers from the Heisie Godzilla (1990-1995). Other Godzillas vary in strength and power, but do not provide hard numbers to work with.
What of the Millienium Godzilla's breath? It seemed very close to GMK's power. And when you mean "at its strongest", are you talking about the red spiral beam he used in the late Heisei movies?
Just wondering.
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Majin Gojira wrote:
I'd just like to point out that whenever official material gives a kaiju's weight in so-many-thousand tons, they're using metric tons, which are slightly heavier than tons in the American system. It probably doesn't make a difference, but I just thought I'd let eveyone know.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

Wait, it's expected for someone to start employing actual math and physics in reference to these characters? That's silly.
Am I the only one here to whom that sounds a little, I don't know... familiar?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Andrew J. wrote:
Majin Gojira wrote:
I'd just like to point out that whenever official material gives a kaiju's weight in so-many-thousand tons, they're using metric tons, which are slightly heavier than tons in the American system. It probably doesn't make a difference, but I just thought I'd let eveyone know.
that was the conversion. In metric, it's 150,000 tons
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Darth Yoshi wrote:
Crazy Goji wrote: Incidentally, does anyone know the name of that creature who was Godzilla in all but name? In his debut, which was released shortly after the original Godzilla, he was sealed by an avalanche. IIRC, he was the creature that fought King Kong.
Gigantis was the name given to Godzilla in the second Godzilla movie "Gigantis the fire Monster" in the states, "Godzilla Raids Again" is the official TOHO English Title.
Browncoat

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Darth Gojira wrote:What of the Millienium Godzilla's breath? It seemed very close to GMK's power. And when you mean "at its strongest", are you talking about the red spiral beam he used in the late Heisei movies?
Just wondering.

Yes, the red spiral beam from Gvs.Destroyer.
Browncoat

Jonathanos
BANNED

Post by Jonathanos »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:
Wait, it's expected for someone to start employing actual math and physics in reference to these characters? That's silly.
One known in the equation in one example (IH #117--20 megaton nuke) and you expect someone to calculate the force the Hulk endured?

You don't know the Hulk's leaping speed in that incident. Thus you don't know how far he was from where he'd leapt. You don't know the speed of the nuke-- it was not stationary. Thus you don't know how far it was from the point where the Hulk had leapt. It's impossible to calculate. Any attempt is nothing but conjecture.

How powerful was the nuke dropped in IH #440? It doesn't say. How far was the Hulk from the spot the warhead struck? It doesn't say. Can you calculate this with no specifics known? No, you can't.

How weakened was the Hulk in IH #391? How much power was Havok's blast? How badly was the Hulk hurt by it? Can you calculate this with no knowns?

Also interesting to note (and this is not aimed at the person who posted the Godzilla references--that I appreciate): the references to Godzilla that have been posted mention Godzilla's "strongest" and "most insane" level with nary a word from those whining about what they incorrectly perceived to have been the Hulk's "ultra-high" feats.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Jonathanos wrote:
Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:
One known in the equation in one example (IH #117--20 megaton nuke) and you expect someone to calculate the force the Hulk endured?

You don't know the Hulk's leaping speed in that incident. Thus you don't know how far he was from where he'd leapt. You don't know the speed of the nuke-- it was not stationary. Thus you don't know how far it was from the point where the Hulk had leapt. It's impossible to calculate. Any attempt is nothing but conjecture.

How powerful was the nuke dropped in IH #440? It doesn't say. How far was the Hulk from the spot the warhead struck? It doesn't say. Can you calculate this with no specifics known? No, you can't.

How weakened was the Hulk in IH #391? How much power was Havok's blast? How badly was the Hulk hurt by it? Can you calculate this with no knowns?

Also interesting to note (and this is not aimed at the person who posted the Godzilla references--that I appreciate): the references to Godzilla that have been posted mention Godzilla's "strongest" and "most insane" level with nary a word from those whining about what they incorrectly perceived to have been the Hulk's "ultra-high" feats.
It sounds like if you put a little effort into it, you could answer most of those questions yourself -- and what you couldn't answer, someone else undoubtedly could. You're assuming because there are no hard numbers that no rough estimates can be derives from observed effects. That's a flawed assumption.

But what struck me as familiar is that you want to claim that because it would be difficult, it's a waste of time to try. That approach pretty much dissolves the debate right there, because without some basic form of objective comparison through observed evidence, establishing who would win goes out the window, and all we're left with is a contest to see who can shout with more volume or wit.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Jonathanos wrote:
Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:
Yes. If all else, substitute in Human norm for the Hulk-based unknowns, and estimate distance by illustrations. I realize you're a bit stupid.
My god, but you are stupid. This is like saying because we do not know the exact <Insert easily estimated variable here>, we cannot <Insert often repeated basic calculation a fucking grade schooler can do>!

It's called estimation, moron boy. We estimate by previous events, etc. For example, we can look at how quick the Hulk usually is. For the distance, we determine it by the lighting effects in the illustration. I realize you are apparantly a retarded syphiliptic donkey, but try and understand this concept.
Oh, wow. I see. You're one of those fucking morons who thinks if it isn't spelled out, it can't be determined. Have you even left grade school yet, or did you get a free pair of balls with your AOL account?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Jonathanos
BANNED

Post by Jonathanos »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:It sounds like if you put a little effort into it, you could answer most of those questions yourself -- and what you couldn't answer, someone else undoubtedly could. You're assuming because there are no hard numbers that no rough estimates can be derives from observed effects. That's a flawed assumption.

But what struck me as familiar is that you want to claim that because it would be difficult, it's a waste of time to try. That approach pretty much dissolves the debate right there, because without some basic form of objective comparison through observed evidence, establishing who would win goes out the window, and all we're left with is a contest to see who can shout with more volume or wit.
Since the Godzilla side has produced little hard numbers and most have done nothing more than say "Godzilla wins" or resort to childish insults (see SirNitram for an example of said childishness--he's not even worth responding to) then you should direct more of your complaint to the Godzilla supporters. I'm not claiming it would be difficult. I'm stating the fact that there's too much that's unknown and so any attempt to calculate is more assumption than actual fact.

You have to assume the Hulk's leaping speed. It varies as much as his strength. He's been clocked anywhere from 75 mph to over 400 mph. So what speed do we take? IH #440, you have to assume the power of the nuke and the distance from ground zero (if any) and what effect the terrain has.

I did ask for objective comparison. I noted that in Godzilla 2000, Godzilla was hurt by missles the Hulk would and has laughed off, indicating far lower durability on Godzilla's part. This is a direct comparison. Nothing but hard evidence. When others suggested this was not typical, I asked for references. What did I get? See SirNitram. Repeatedly. Then I got a post with some actual references... finally. That contained Godzilla's greatest feats-- his "ultra-high" feats, one could say.

Since Godzilla's "strongest" and "most insane" feats have now been posted... does this mean the Hulk's strongest and most insane are now fair game? If so, this isn't even close to being a contest. The Hulk smashes Godzilla easily.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I see so ad hominems and vague references are your weapons.

Fine piece you are...by the way do you really want to hear how weak the bomb that destroyed Hulk is?

I mean we know the time, the distance(give or take some feet), and the damage it did to the surrounding area and the lack of damage it did to Banner.

And before you scream Gamma Bomb...do you even have a fucking clue how stupid that sounds?

I might as well scream Turbolasers at SW arguements.

Let's start there before you start rambling again about Hulk being able to hold energy.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Jonathanos
BANNED

Post by Jonathanos »

And I see false accusations and no references are yours.

No, please tell me how weak that bomb was. I mean, it killed the Maestro (well, temporarily anyway) at ground zero. Banner, meanwhile, was who-know-how-many miles away from the detonation. So tell me how weak the bomb is...

As for how "stupid" it sounds to say the effect on the Hulk was possibly due to the type of bomb it was... do you have any clue what you're talking about? No, you don't. Seeing as the Hulk has survived other nuclear detonations unharmed, we either assume that it's due to the TYPE of bomb or the POWER of the bomb is greater than the Cobalt Man's Sydney-destroying blast.

Tell me how weak it is, Ghost Rider.

By "time" what do you mean? I hope for your sake you aren't going to say "1962."
Jonathanos
BANNED

Post by Jonathanos »

Oh, yes...

I'm sure you can show me where I used the Hulk grasping energy as a feat to compare against Godzilla.

Or did you mean when I pointed out what would have been the Hulk's "ultra-high" feats which you accused me of using? BTW, where's your complaint about the listing of Godzilla's "strongest" and "most insane" feat?

Just a little hypocritical on your part...
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

LMAO...the little shit won't even back up his own arguement.

I mean seriously you spout off how Hulk can withstand this, and that, but won't even put forth the needed bit to establish something that killed Hulk(I love your semantic bullshit that it was temporary).

I mean do you even fucking grasp how stupid you still sound by claiming he held energy?

I guess not, because you still used it.

Let's see, did you read the mutliple times they shown the bomb explosion and the fact that you can gauge distance from the time it took Banner to reach Rick Jones...or does all this just fly by your head?

I mean let's see about some evidence of the bomb in question just so you can go through the steps.

1. We can give a good estimate of the distance of the blast considering that how much time it took Banner to reach Rick Jones, and also drag said subject into a trench(oooooh....aaaaah)

Then you can give a few other notes that ejecta was around Banner as said bomb exploded and in fact that Jones was unaffected even though he was in a two foot tall ditch and that Banner's clothing was unaffected, as well the crater from said was rather small.

But nope...you want to go back to 20MT bomb and Havok.

Though I'm sure you'll spew it was a Gamma Bomb...god did you pass High school physics?

And then you'll claim he's survived worse(but go into increasingly vague detail of what worse was)

And of course retort with He's done so much more!!!(once again brief snipet descriptions and then blather how no one can do any possible calculations on said feats)

Jesus no wonder the few guys who bitch slapped you, keep doing it; you put out vague evidence, a no math mentality and attack with ad hominems when you get backed into a corner...and you come back like a broken record to do it again.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

Darth Gojira wrote:
Smiling Bandit wrote:Actually, the Hulk will take this one: at his full strenth, he could simply toss Gogi off the planet. And not even Godzilla could realy hurt him.

HULK IS THE STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!!!!!
Has the Hulkster ever taken a direct hit from a medium power nuclear weapon? :?:
The first issue answered that one for us. He's imune to radiation. It only makes him stronger.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

While I do not have the information to do the calcs, I would say that Godzilla living in a volcano demonstrates far more resistance to thermal damage than the Hulk.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Jonathanos wrote:
Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:It sounds like if you put a little effort into it, you could answer most of those questions yourself -- and what you couldn't answer, someone else undoubtedly could. You're assuming because there are no hard numbers that no rough estimates can be derives from observed effects. That's a flawed assumption.

Since the Godzilla side has produced little hard numbers and most have done nothing more than say "Godzilla wins" or resort to childish insults (see SirNitram for an example of said childishness--he's not even worth responding to) then you should direct more of your complaint to the Godzilla supporters. I'm not claiming it would be difficult. I'm stating the fact that there's too much that's unknown and so any attempt to calculate is more assumption than actual fact.

You have to assume the Hulk's leaping speed. It varies as much as his strength. He's been clocked anywhere from 75 mph to over 400 mph. So what speed do we take? IH #440, you have to assume the power of the nuke and the distance from ground zero (if any) and what effect the terrain has.

I did ask for objective comparison. I noted that in Godzilla 2000, Godzilla was hurt by missles the Hulk would and has laughed off, indicating far lower durability on Godzilla's part. This is a direct comparison. Nothing but hard evidence. When others suggested this was not typical, I asked for references. What did I get? See SirNitram. Repeatedly. Then I got a post with some actual references... finally. That contained Godzilla's greatest feats-- his "ultra-high" feats, one could say.

Since Godzilla's "strongest" and "most insane" feats have now been posted... does this mean the Hulk's strongest and most insane are now fair game? If so, this isn't even close to being a contest. The Hulk smashes Godzilla easily.
In the scenario you describe, with wildly disparate estimations, you can still establish upper and lower limits for various capabilities. You can then agree to medians or averages for each of the capabilities and compare the averages. When faced with a wealth of unknowns, the logical course of action is to establish what is known and extrapolate from there.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Admiral Johnason wrote:
Darth Gojira wrote:
Smiling Bandit wrote:Actually, the Hulk will take this one: at his full strenth, he could simply toss Gogi off the planet. And not even Godzilla could realy hurt him.

Has the Hulkster ever taken a direct hit from a medium power nuclear weapon? :?:
The first issue answered that one for us. He's imune to radiation. It only makes him stronger.
What of the sheer energy released? I'm sure he'd be unfazed by radiation, but what of multi kilotons of energy?
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Admiral Johnason wrote:
Darth Gojira wrote:

Quite astounding the same thing killed him as well(Future Imperfect #2)

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Ghost Rider wrote: Quite astounding the same thing killed him as well(Future Imperfect #2)
He also got killed by an exploding Wonderman in The Last Avengers Story

Anyway, even if we stick with the Marvel version of Godzilla I can't see how the Hulk can win. Godzilla had no reall problems with any of the superhero teams he went against (The Champions, Fantastic Four & Avengers) plus he was giving Red Ronin a very hard time when they fought. Red Ronin, on automatic smacked a very powerful Avengers team around rather easily.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Anyone got a scanner and the G-Fan that interviewed Herb Trimpe?

I think it was that issue in which he contributed a picture of Godzilla vs. the Hulk (he used to draw both books). The picture wouldn't really solve the disctusion but it might provide some nice background. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Jonathanos wrote:I did ask for objective comparison. I noted that in Godzilla 2000, Godzilla was hurt by missles the Hulk would and has laughed off, indicating far lower durability on Godzilla's part. This is a direct comparison. Nothing but hard evidence. When others suggested this was not typical, I asked for references. What did I get? See SirNitram. Repeatedly. Then I got a post with some actual references... finally. That contained Godzilla's greatest feats-- his "ultra-high" feats, one could say.
I've already pointed out that Godzilla 2000 is not the Godzilla most commonly referred to. It'd be like using Mystique disguised as Wolverine to show that Wolverine is weak.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Confusio Apparently abounds...Let me explain

Godzilla 2000 -- Toho Godzlla

Godzilla (1998) -- American Tripe

Godzilla 2000 is hurt by SPECIALLY DESIGNED FULL METAL MISSLES JUST TO PENETRATE HIS HIDE! A tape shows a test issle going through 5 layers of approx. 4ft thick Concreete (Likely reinforced). These missle managed to get though Godzilla's hide, but G2K's INSANE Regenerative abilities kicked in. (For level of insanity of G's Regeneration in G2K, watch Orga regenerate. He take a lot of hits and keeps coming using the Regeneration Genes he stole from Godzilla)
Browncoat