Deadpool

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Deadpool

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Colossus seemed a bit flat to me character-wise, but he makes a decent foil for Deadpool as the clean-cut, nice, noble superhero. He's basically the classic superhero archetype to Deadpool's insane, asshole anti-hero. Its a potentially good dynamic (now that I think about it, it reminds me a bit of Michael and Harry from Dresden Files, to use another example).

Makes me want to see Deadpool do a team up with Captain America.

On the other hand, Deadpool and Tony Stark would basically be maximum snark. :D
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Historically Cable has been the more serious hero character that Deadpool plays off.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, supposedly Cable will be in the sequel (they said as much in the end credits scene, with Deadpool joking about possibly casting Kiera Knightly).

Edit: Still, I kind of hope they bring Colossus and his sidekick with the ridiculous name back. And Vanessa. After making such a point out of her and Deadpool being in love at the end (crazy though their relationship is), I really hope they don't go the cliche "different girl every movie" route. Especially if it means Vanessa dying for drama's sake in the next film.

Plus I just like Morena Baccarin.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I saw the movie today, and I thought it was great. The one reservation I had about it going in, I noticed but did not find it detracted from the movie. And every single character was enjoyable in their own way. I found Colossus's boy scout routine charming, even if most of the other characters thought he was a sucker. I'm still looking forwards to Cable, because Cable & Deadpool, but Colossus worked well in his own way too.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

The wife and I really enjoyed it. I'm going with the reading that the entire film is told from Deadpool's point of view, hence Colossus being shaped into Deadpool's conscience. Ajax was a bit flat, which is a pity. I suppose it's hard to have an interesting villain when the schtick stick is in the hands of the hero. Same issue in Guardians of the Galaxy.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Saw it again, and I think I enjoyed it more the second time, and picked up on some things I missed the first time.

One interesting thing that I didn't quite put together earlier is the parallel (weather intended or not) between Deadpool becoming superhuman and Captain America becoming superhuman.

While the methods were somewhat different (although Cap's was still fairly painful), Cap's was basically treated, from what I recall of the first film, as making a person more of what they already were. Not just in physically but in personality. And that is exactly what happened with Deadpool- he didn't change, so much as become a more extreme version of who he was beforehand.

I don't know that that was intended, and have no real reason to believe that it was. But I found it interesting.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I'm late to the party, but I don't get out to see movies much. Think the last one I saw in theaters was Transformers and that was only because Chris begged me. I was essentially done after X-Men 3.

Man crush on Ryan Reynolds. Paid off, he's great in this. I get the hate Green Lattern gets, don't care: Ryan Reynolds. Enjoyed the movie.

Could have dealt without the Gina Carano bullshit and her smacking Colossus around. Hated her more than the villain because A. Carano is a terrible actress and B. She has less reason to be a murderous asshole than Francis. Angel is just an evil bitch who also deserves a lead lobotomy. Colossus is a gentleman through and through, but I'm not big on him turning his back on a slipped-nip when fighting someone who tortures then sells mutants into slavery.

Emo Jubilee didn't work for me either.
Broomstick wrote:You'd think the R rating would have tipped off those parents, except people are too fucking oblivious these days.
It's funny to me because this movie is gratutious by post-2000s standards as every studio dove into PG-13 ratings for 20 years, but this movie is pretty tame compared to the shit I grew up watching, namely Arnold movies with over-the-top gore and violence with some 80s titties thrown in to break it up a bit. Had this come out around the same time, correcting for all the CGI, it would have passed with little incident. We've just been watching sanitized shit for so long, people are surprised at some blood spatter and a sex scene.

And with 12-year-olds stocking up on CoD edition Xbox's and Playstations, parents are probably more upset with the strap-on action Reynolds gets than the blood. South Park BLU was far more graphic than this move was, and intentionally so.

EDIT: Also of note: it's was about 16 years ago I watched a theater literally empty out of South Park during the Uncle Fucker song because parents have always been oblivious.

Still, great movie. Would recommend.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Deadpool stars in his own review: