THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by Terralthra »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:I rather passionately disagree with the notion "You are who you are on your worst day. Everything else is a comforting lie you tell yourself."
Naturally. Remember, Durkula is a creature of Evil; you're not supposed to sympathize with his outlook. After all, we know it isn't universal; if the Bureaucratic Deva that judged Roy in the afterlife agreed with Durkula on that, he would have been chucked to True Neutral without batting an eye, as she explicitly said.
Not just "not universal", it's specifically created to be Durkon's antithesis. Of course it believes that you are who you are on your worst day. First of all, that's what it is, and second of all, that's probably close to Durkon's worst fear.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes; that appears to have backfired.

Although it's interesting to speculate on, oh, what Roy's vampiric evil inverse might be like.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Roy's vampiric inverse would probably go back Xyklon for a nice 'screw you' to his dad.

AFTER going and killing/turning his sister.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'd forgotten that.
Knowing now what we know about his Mum and Dad, and how his dad died, I think if Mum was talking about her own feelings and regrets.
I'd actually hoped that Loki's Cleric would be her.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

1008 is up

Durkula uses a variation of Durkon's favorite spell.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Still doesn't make him any faster. ;)
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Rogue 9 wrote:Still doesn't make him any faster. ;)
It does grant him reach. Durkula's huge there and should get an AoO if Roy does anything besides running for it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Roy just Got It.

Well, something like this was telegraphed well in advance. Was hoping it would be more complicated or nuanced, but meh. I wouldn't have come up with anything better.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

So THAT's what a Full Bore Critical looks like in OOTS.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote:So THAT's what a Full Bore Critical looks like in OOTS.....
On an undead who is immune to crits? :P
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm. Maybe starmetal allows you to crit undead? I know it has some special property against them, don't it?

In any event, this looks like a fairly wide but shallow cut. Probably represents a significant chunk of Durkula's hit points, but not all by any means.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Simon_Jester wrote:Hm. Maybe starmetal allows you to crit undead? I know it has some special property against them, don't it?
It is likely that your sword will sometimes glow with a deadly green energy that is particularly harmful to the undead.

I don't recall it ever making his eyes glow green at the same time too, though.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Has he had many opportunities to use it on undead? Aside from the defense of Azure City I can't remember any.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Simon_Jester wrote:Hm. Maybe starmetal allows you to crit undead? I know it has some special property against them, don't it?

In any event, this looks like a fairly wide but shallow cut. Probably represents a significant chunk of Durkula's hit points, but not all by any means.
Or various other things, including converting to Pathfinder. I wasn't being particularly serious.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Simon_Jester wrote:Has he had many opportunities to use it on undead? Aside from the defense of Azure City I can't remember any.

He used it while fighting those zombies from Drake's family at the pyramid.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Looking at the strip again, I don't think it's a crit. I mean, all he did was land a wide slash across Durkula's chest. That wouldn't be a crit on a vampire even if it was vulnerable to them. There's nothing vital there.

I'd call it max or near max damage roll plus whatever the sword's magic added on. And Power Attack or whatever
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Does anyone who read the Origin of PCs book have an idea as to what it was the Durkula said that gave him away?
I don't recall it ever making his eyes glow green at the same time too, though.
They haven't. It's also a different flame effect to usual, normally it just surrounds the blade but it's surrounding his body here as well.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Also, it could be the dramatic effect or 'lighting', but Roy's visible injuries vanish in that last panel.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I honestly think it may just be the sheer... malevolence of Durkula's taunting Roy about his brother's death.

Like "okay, I can imagine Durkon becoming bitter and angry and wanting to destroy a world that has mistreated him... on his hypothetical worst day plus a lot. But... I can imagine him acting that way... but I can't imagine him taunting me about Eric."

The other possibility is that this is going to invoke Durkula's complete inability to actually learn anything from Durkon's memories except for raw facts. We've seen that he repeatedly "doesn't get it" when two related memories are juxtaposed. Durkula is, after all, a bodiless spirit of pure evil; I don't think he really understands the idea of learning, personality development, character growth, or the life cycle of mortals. Certainly not on any level other than the intellectual level.

Roy's a smart cookie, so it may be that Durkula's behavior here seems so strange to him that he deduces this- that Durkula, despite clearly possessing Durkon's memories, is utterly incompatible with being the person who has learned from Durkon's experiences.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Venator wrote:Also, it could be the dramatic effect or 'lighting', but Roy's visible injuries vanish in that last panel.
He's also completely surrounded in the green sword from his fire. Hmmm, someone/somegod lending magical support on the sly?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Simon_Jester wrote:I honestly think it may just be the sheer... malevolence of Durkula's taunting Roy about his brother's death.

Like "okay, I can imagine Durkon becoming bitter and angry and wanting to destroy a world that has mistreated him... on his hypothetical worst day plus a lot. But... I can imagine him acting that way... but I can't imagine him taunting me about Eric."
It's not the malevolence. It's the bit about how he was thinking of horrible stuff like "how many pieces was the kid's body in?" all the way back when Roy first told him about it.

Roy's been around the block. He knows or at least he can understand that something like turning undead can turn someone into a sadistic monster. But Durkula just told Roy that he was always filled with hatred and contempt for Roy. And Roy knows that can't be true.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Venator wrote:Also, it could be the dramatic effect or 'lighting', but Roy's visible injuries vanish in that last panel.
He's also completely surrounded in the green sword from his fire. Hmmm, someone/somegod lending magical support on the sly?
Or it's part of the effect of the sword. It could be that the anti-undead effect scales with how ticked off the user is, though I have no idea what kind of effect that would be.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html -- the flame effect seems bigger when Roy is enraged at Xykon here...
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html -- than when he's just doing routine slices at him here.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0861.html -- he's visibly angry (plus doing a multi-target attack) here.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Alkaloid wrote:Does anyone who read the Origin of PCs book have an idea as to what it was the Durkula said that gave him away?
I'm pretty sure it's the culmination of all the things. The evidence has been piling up for nearly a hundred strips at this point; Roy just finally realized he'd been willfully ignorant.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

New one up.
Spoiler
So, it wasn't just the art style; something "weird" is actually going on.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers