THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by Irbis »

Venator wrote:Given how he's standing in the second panel, I assume what's happening in the 3rd is that he's looking over his shoulder. A bit awkward to portray from that view angle with stick figures.
He would need to develop serious case of owl neck to do it. Maybe you're right and shield is really seen from back, instead of being on wrong (top) vector layer, but V is also seen from back in the same panel and it doesn't look tenth as unnatural.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Irbis wrote:
Venator wrote:Given how he's standing in the second panel, I assume what's happening in the 3rd is that he's looking over his shoulder. A bit awkward to portray from that view angle with stick figures.
He would need to develop serious case of owl neck to do it. Maybe you're right and shield is really seen from back, instead of being on wrong (top) vector layer, but V is also seen from back in the same panel and it doesn't look tenth as unnatural.
Yeah, given the angles, we're seeing him from behind (he's facing toward the ship from the dock stairs in panel 2). It looks weird, but the shield is clearly over his right shoulder in both shots. In order for him not to be facing away from us, he'd have to have switched which shoulder his shield lays on and turn around from the previous panel.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

990 Is Up. Some interesting discussion. Info on Roy's level as well.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

...991 up, I guess...?

And looks like we're back to bi-weekly? Though comic longer than usual.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's a three pager, those take longer. Especially varying between the two art styles, I'd guess.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

...992 up...?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Weird the Vampire spirit seems almost a passenger himself in those first couple of panels.

Unless he's talking about the airship... I am not clever.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

...993 up... [or should I stop doing this?]
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Irbis wrote:...993 up... [or should I stop doing this?]
I check SDN for new posts a lot more regularly than I do OOTS. I for one find it helpful :D.

Also, nice to see it moving forward. Belkar is on paper an ideal choice for the reasons Roy mentioned. In practice, a Chaotic Evil character with the reserve and tact of a medium-yield ICBM and the willpower of a particularly obtuse raccoon might not work out optimally with the clerics OR Durkula...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Venator wrote:Also, nice to see it moving forward. Belkar is on paper an ideal choice for the reasons Roy mentioned. In practice, a Chaotic Evil character with the reserve and tact of a medium-yield ICBM and the willpower of a particularly obtuse raccoon might not work out optimally with the clerics OR Durkula...
Roy is smart here, trying to cover all the bases. He's got reservations about Durkula, but Belkar's fully prepared to do the deed and has shown it. Belkar's promised this, Durkula knows this, and he's fully prepped to take out the halfling.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

If you are going to do it you should include a link.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Starglider wrote:
If you are going to do it you should include a link.
Yeah, it's pretty annoying otherwise
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

LadyTevar wrote:
Venator wrote:Also, nice to see it moving forward. Belkar is on paper an ideal choice for the reasons Roy mentioned. In practice, a Chaotic Evil character with the reserve and tact of a medium-yield ICBM and the willpower of a particularly obtuse raccoon might not work out optimally with the clerics OR Durkula...
Roy is smart here, trying to cover all the bases. He's got reservations about Durkula, but Belkar's fully prepared to do the deed and has shown it. Belkar's promised this, Durkula knows this, and he's fully prepped to take out the halfling.
My thought was towards the last bit - Durkula is (at least, thinks he is) ready for Belkar. V, for example, isn't deadset against Durkula, but they're not exactly sentimental... and a fully geared-up Wizard is a much different beast for Durkula to handle, particularly since V has a Will save in the positive digits.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Belkar has spent his downtime investing in save boosting items or something similar to stop himself from being so easily controlled. If I'm remembering right even an one use Protection from Evil (or Good, Chaos or Law) effect should be enough to shut that particular vampire power down cold.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Ralin wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Belkar has spent his downtime investing in save boosting items or something similar to stop himself from being so easily controlled. If I'm remembering right even an one use Protection from Evil (or Good, Chaos or Law) effect should be enough to shut that particular vampire power down cold.
Hence the "Durkula (thinks) he is ready" bit. For all his blunder and inanity, Belkar is clever and crafty when it helps in play Operation on a living game board. We can only hope Durkula has been so busy fighting head-Durkon and placed at ease by Belkar's earlier attempts that he hasn't similarly prepped.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ralin wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Belkar has spent his downtime investing in save boosting items or something similar to stop himself from being so easily controlled. If I'm remembering right even an one use Protection from Evil (or Good, Chaos or Law) effect should be enough to shut that particular vampire power down cold.
He's already covered that angle, although it has certain drawbacks for him... :D
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I'd forgotten about that and didn't feel like going back to check at the time.

So yeah, Belkar has a sucker punch planned
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, do you think he's on the level here as a representative as a follower of a dark god, or is he acting as a way to paint a target for the conference?

Secondly, considering 'Wrong Eye's' plan to blackmail the gods into giving goblins more importance and priority, do you think his kind will have representation there?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, do you think he's on the level here as a representative as a follower of a dark god, or is he acting as a way to paint a target for the conference?
It's unclear who he could be painting a target for; the gods don't intervene directly in mortal affairs as a rule in the OoTS setting as I understand it. And anything less than the gods themselves would probably be something the massed clerical might present at the meeting could cope with.
Secondly, considering 'Wrong Eye's' plan to blackmail the gods into giving goblins more importance and priority, do you think his kind will have representation there?
Almost certainly not, among other things because Redcloak is the only goblin high priest in existence and I'm pretty sure he's not going to be here. Thematically it wouldn't work well.

If goblinkind were being represented at high-profile events like this, Redcloak wouldn't have invested decades of his life in a desperate, world-threatening scheme to acquire the needed representation in the first place.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, the game's afoot. Will Belkar be believed? Will he get to Roy and the others in time? Will Durkula kill everyone? Find out, next time.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I was expecting Durkula to get his murder on so quickly and basically it seems like just because he can. I wonder if the other religions will object or if the rules of the conference mean they'll accept it? Though that wouldn't be very Good of them...
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

He might be desiring of minions. We'll see.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I can see several reasons for this
#1 - Pick them off one at a time/weaken them before he goes nuts on them. He MIGHT be the most powerful cleric in the room, and being a vampire on top of that (and with lots of people out of spells....)
#2 - Minions as mentioned
#3 - What better to do for #1000 then Belkar's 'last breath?'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.