WANDAVISION (SPOILERS, SWEETIE!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FireNexus
Cookie

Re: WANDAVISION (SPOILERS, SWEETIE!)

Post by FireNexus »

Wanda is telling the truth about not being able to raise the dead. Which implies that the reason for this whole situation is that she needs to be where she is to sustain Vision, who is not dead but is mostly dead.

Considering the “concentrated cosmic microwave background”and the Pietro thing, I’m pretty sure Westview is a location with thin interdimensional walls. She’s there because she needs to channel the power of an alternate universe mind stone to keep vision alive.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Vision is a robot or 'synthazoid' so the typical definitions of life don't really apply.

I expect Vision to come out of this back to his old self, frankly. His personality is clearly intact, as well as some of his powers.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

HOLY SHIT, she recast Petro!

Except, I don't think SHE did that. Now, next ep we might see the dog back and totally blow this out of the water, but Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Still, FireNexus has a point. Westview may be a Nexus, which may be why Wanda fled there with Vision. She's definitely never had the power for that before.
Also... Agnes. I'm really starting to think there's more to Agnes here. Have we found her Real ID yet? Is she on the wall they made? She was there for two major bits of magic, and she was there when the dog died.
Well done to the writers, "you can't bring back the dead" as Vision walks up.
And now Petro, who's actually Quicksilver of Xmen movies.

Yes, Vision. Shit is happening. You have to figure it out for us.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Now we just need Michael Fassbender and Zehra Leverman to show up as her resurrected parents.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

OH YEAH! Did anyone notice the ACCENTS?

Wanda's been using the Broadcast Middle-UnitedStates American accent that was so common on TV in those eras. But, when she leaves to return S.W.O.R.D's little drone, she's back to her Slovian/Russian Block accent.
Then, when Petro shows up, he's talking Bronx -- which again is TOTALLY NORMAL for a long-lost sibling to do when they showed up in an 80s sitcom.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

I wonder where Agent Franklin (bee suit guy) went, as he wasn't thrown out like Rambeau. I see theories such as him being/coming Swarm (sounds stupid) or Richards of FF (meh-ish unlikely IMHO).

It seems kind of interesting on Wanda's reaction to Pietro. Was it like she knew who Fox-Pietro was and surprised that he was in the MCU, or it was after he stated he was the bro and Wanda realized/rationalized/went on with it.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-06 08:50pm OH YEAH! Did anyone notice the ACCENTS?

Wanda's been using the Broadcast Middle-UnitedStates American accent that was so common on TV in those eras. But, when she leaves to return S.W.O.R.D's little drone, she's back to her Slovian/Russian Block accent.
Then, when Petro shows up, he's talking Bronx -- which again is TOTALLY NORMAL for a long-lost sibling to do when they showed up in an 80s sitcom.
Wanda’s normal American accent is really awesome because she speaks subtly differently than Olsen does, but in the same way that childhood friends who immigrated from Eastern Europe do. Like, after they “lost” their accents there are still bits that are barely detectable if you have enough experience with various degrees of Slavic accent. I don’t know anyone who immigrated in their late teens or 20s who lost their accent that way, but I don’t know anyone who was fluent when they immigrated at that age. Her accent work is very on point, though, otherwise.

Her accent getting stronger when she becomes emotional (or drunk, in my experience) also is a great move. It’s very much my experience with literally everyone. My partner becomes very FOBy Vietnamese when drunk, and her best friend who Hong Kong Chinese turns fully British. Both immigrated at young ages so their accents are barely detectable normally.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-06 11:27am Also... Agnes. I'm really starting to think there's more to Agnes here. Have we found her Real ID yet? Is she on the wall they made? She was there for two major bits of magic, and she was there when the dog died.
Remember, this is based on 50 years of comic books, so people can guess which character is which and what they will eventually do. Agnes is almost certainly based on
Spoiler
Agatha Harkness, the leader of New Salem where a bunch of witches settled and which led to Wanda getting pregnant with Tommy and Billy:
Vision and the Scarlet Witch Vol 2 #3, by way of [url=https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Vision_and_the_Scarlet_Witch_Vol_2_3]the Marvel Database wiki[/url] wrote:Two months earlier, the Salem Seven had recovered their powers and overthrown Agatha Harkness, burning her at the stake to claim their status as the supreme witches of New Salem.

After their victory over the Lethal Legion, Vision and Wanda take a walk through the Rocky Mountains countryside to discuss their future, including the possibility of having children when Vision's synthezoid physiology can't reproduce with a biological human. Their conversation is interrupted when they stumble across New Salem and are ambushed by six of Salem's Seven. Vertigo knocks out Wanda while Vakume drains Vision's energy. Wanda reawakens in a hexed cage alongside her still-inert husband and Gazelle, who was chosen to be sacrificed for opposing the rest of the coven's plot to entrap the couple. Gazelle accepts her fate and refuses to help, but changes her stance on actively hindering Wanda after overhearing her pour her heart out to the Vision, who was incidentally playing possum so that Vakume wouldn't drain him completely.

The next morning, after Gazelle's sacrifice, the two remaining prisoners are tied to stakes to be prepared for their turn. Vision, recharged by the sun, takes that moment to break them free. Vertigo channels all of New Salem's magical energy to attack, but Vision's counterattack forces her to lose control of it and the mystic force goes wild, threatening to destroy the town. The Scarlet Witch steps in to channel the energy, attempting to ground it to the mountain. Just then, a spectral image of Agatha Harkness appears to Wanda, telling her not to just channel the power, but to use it. The mountain explodes with energy and things become calm once more, the town is heavily damaged and the witches have all disappeared. Wanda herself isn't sure how she used the power in the final instant, but time will tell...

Doctor Strange delivers to Wanda the news that she's going to have a baby, a development she and the Vision attribute to her hex power channeling the energy of the Witches of New Salem.
Also House of M.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2021-02-08 05:55pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-06 11:27am Also... Agnes. I'm really starting to think there's more to Agnes here. Have we found her Real ID yet? Is she on the wall they made? She was there for two major bits of magic, and she was there when the dog died.
Remember, this is based on 50 years of comic books, so people can guess which character is which and what they will eventually do. Agnes is almost certainly based on

Also House of M.
Your Spoiler isn't showing. Maybe the use of Quotes.
If this is something from old comic books, why put it under Spoilers? Especially when it's been around that Anges is possibly Agatha Harkness, and the blond socialite (who's name I'm forgetting) is another powerful Witch.

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Some people really don't like spoilers from source material before a film/tv adaptation. Eg, game of thrones.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Regarding the snappening, I think it was a combination of Hulk's intellect (seven PhDs) and the effects of the mind and soul stones. Regarding aircraft in the sky, yeah that's not going to be good. With the randomness there's going to be a 1 in 4 chance of both the pilot and co-pilot biting the dust, in those cases you have to factor in what phase the flight is in, how quickly aircrew can access the flight deck, status of ATC, etc.

Apparently there's a fan theory going around that Wanda is actually under the control of Mephisto, though I don't put much stock in that myself, As for Franklin, wasn't he assimilated? I thought he was the same guy that Vision briefly freed from Wanda's control.

I wonder how the story is going to interact with the multiverse of madness which was where most had expected the X-Men to show up.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2021-02-10 09:28am Apparently there's a fan theory going around that Wanda is actually under the control of Mephisto, though I don't put much stock in that myself, As for Franklin, wasn't he assimilated? I thought he was the same guy that Vision briefly freed from Wanda's control.
No, when they were putting faces up on the wall, they ID'd that person as a resident of Westview. We still do not know what happened to Agent Franklin, and still haven't heard who was the one in Witness Protection that Woo was looking for.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I wonder if the Raft is still active? Given that Wanda is clearly torturing a few thousand people, she may need to wind up there.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-11 06:12am I wonder if the Raft is still active? Given that Wanda is clearly torturing a few thousand people, she may need to wind up there.
Captain America was able to break everyone out of there (Wanda included) single-handed, security can't have been that good.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Episode 6.

Wow. Lots to unpack here. First... Pietro is way Meta, far too inside Wanda's head. Now, yes, twins can do that, but I really wonder who he's working with. And that's a GOOD QUESTION tho -- "Where were you hiding the kids?"
And poor Agnes, poor lady crying as she tries to finish hanging the ghost, and can't. And closer to the barrier, the less people move. Dammit Wanda, this is really what you want?

Next question: Who's Rambeau meeting, just over the hill? Looks like she and Woo escaped the extended border, but so did the jackass Director (no, I don't remember his name, at this point he's just The Asshole, and I hope he gets smacked down)
However -- Darcy. The rest of the soldiers became clowns in a circus, but Darcy? We see her go skeletal for a split-second, what does she become?

Oh, is anyone surprised one twin has super-speed, and the other's got Wanda's hexes?

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It's my understanding that this Pietro is really supposed to be a living version of her brother from an alternate universe, but one that she had to modify by magically "programming" him with memories of MCU Pietro's life.

She already did a variation of this to Vision, but in his case she selectively withheld any unpleasant or potentially disruptive memories of his short life as an Avenger and his fate during the events of Infinity War.

So this version of Pietro is essentially another puppet right now. The only difference is that she plucked him from another realty because she couldn't resurrect the Pietro that was native to her own. This is just the best she could do within the limit of her powers.

In other words, this isn't just a stunt casting gag. He truly is Peter Maximoff from the Fox X-Men Universe, but with a head full of memories that don't belong to him. Next up at some point will no doubt be Deadpool, but it may not stop there.

If they do manage to salvage anyone else from that universe, I hope it's Fassbender's Magneto.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Galvatron wrote: 2021-02-13 02:09am It's my understanding that this Pietro is really supposed to be a living version of her brother from an alternate universe, but one that she had to modify by magically "programming" him with memories of MCU Pietro's life.
Then what was with the flash of him with bullet holes like MCU Pietro when he died, and this Pietro looking very dead?

Is that reality intruding? Something of Wanda's grief? WTF is going on with that? When it happened to Vision we were led to think it might be Vision's actually dead and damaged body re-animated by Wanda, but this Pietro does not look like the Pietro killed by Ultron, and yet he was shown shot up and deceased.

I think Wanda's starting to lose control here.

She keeps trying to "fix" things - at the end of the last episode Vision talked about how there were no other children in Westview, so Wanda "fixed" that and now there are kids everywhere.

I also think the whole candy-stealing pumpkin-smashing thing was out of character for MCU!Pietro (I don't recall the Fox!Pietro that well). That Pietro struck me as a basically kind man who deeply loved his sister and who was hard because of circumstance, not inherent nature. Not the sort to engage in petty thievery and wanton destruction.

I get that Wanda is grieving - most of us have grieved. You might get angry, you might want to FIX things, but we don't have reality-warping powers. Which is probably a very good thing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

They gave a nod to Comicbook!Vision's vomit colour scheme with the Halloween costume. She had made a half-assed attempt at repairing Vision during IW, it makes sense that she'd try again now that the threat from Thanos has ended, though precisely why she decided to expand her area of control as far as she did instead of just enough to cover Vision is debatable because she's more likely to overextend herself. It's also strange that being outside that area was damaging him the way it did, implying that if he leaves he dies again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm not sure Wanda is operating on reason right now. Although expanding her area of effect means that she co-opted the SWORD camp and most of its agents, so it ends that "threat". She also probably wanted to snag Hayward, too, but it looks like he got away.

If this Vision is solely a construct of Wanda's then I can see him dissolving if he leaves the Hex. If he actually is the body of Vision but the only thing literally holding the pieces of him together is Wanda then I can see him falling apart if he leaves the Hex.

We're probably not going to get all the answers until the final episode.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-02-13 04:55am I also think the whole candy-stealing pumpkin-smashing thing was out of character for MCU!Pietro (I don't recall the Fox!Pietro that well). That Pietro struck me as a basically kind man who deeply loved his sister and who was hard because of circumstance, not inherent nature. Not the sort to engage in petty thievery and wanton destruction.

I get that Wanda is grieving - most of us have grieved. You might get angry, you might want to FIX things, but we don't have reality-warping powers. Which is probably a very good thing.
I think the mischief-making was more the "Crazy Uncle" trope from various Sitcoms and Family Comedy movies. Think "Uncle Buck".

And yes, I get Wanda's grieving. Yes, I'd bring Nitram back too, his liver fixed, so we can just enjoy life together. Hell, I'd bring Dad back so he could meet Nitram.
And we wouldn't have to worry about money, always have the bills paid and money for eating out, the cable/internet on, and all the latest games and systems to keep entertained.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Starting with the disclaimer that I know little to nothing of the actual Marvel COMIC book universe...
The actions of "Pietro" are most likely far more influenced on the "wacky uncle" trope in Sitcomes vs his actual personality.

That said, what sets off alarms is that he is 'Awake' from the Get go.. And not JUST 'awake' in terms of "this is all an illusion and Wanda is controlling people" but in the "I am playing a role on a TV show and thus should be acting accordingly" which is, disconcerting.

He is clearly NOT under Wanda's control at all, he IMPLIES that Wanda summoned him... But she seemed completely shocked at his arrival.

I have read some people saying he is apparently some sort of 'trickster demon thing' from the comics book who is secretly in charge. No idea if that is applying here. Only I do not think he is Pietro 'in any form' but someone masquerading as him. He doesn't seem confused, or wireded out, even taking into account he does not seem to be under Wandas control, he does not question anything but seems to actively be encouraging Wandas use of her powers. Saying shes "made the people happy" or "given them good jobs" or twice called it a "paradise"

Basically striking me as the "devil" to the angle" trying to tell Wanda what she is doing is good JUST at the time when she is questioning herself.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-02-13 04:55amThen what was with the flash of him with bullet holes like MCU Pietro when he died, and this Pietro looking very dead?
My guess is that it's Wanda projecting the original Pietro's fate on this one, in much the same way that she filled his head with a bunch of the original's memories. She's having a hard time keeping them separate.

Although her reality-bending abilities are very powerful, the comics have traditionally depicted them as somewhat inconsistent and unpredictable over the years.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I think that the main cast in Wanda's production have more freedoms than others. They can improvise and the like.

The smaller parts are just her victims, being tortured to play a role like a comic book Criminal Minds.

Weirdly, the Peter Maximoff looks just like he did in the 90s in his native timeline, while this show is set in 2025 or so. So did Wanda rip him across time too?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

the episode is set in the 1990's , derp..
ever episode has leapt forward by 10 years or so
50s, 60s, 70's
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

He means that outside the 'sitcom' of WandaVision, with Monica, Jimmy Woo, Darcy, and SWORD.