Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion (book spoilers included)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Re: Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion (book spoilers inclu

Post by Pelranius »

Well, that Brienne-Cersei exchange was interesting (thought that the dress Brienne had at Harrenhal was a bit more fetching, but obviously doesn't suit the character).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Anybody else think this episode telegraphed all too quickly who really poisoned Joeffrey? I mean, "help the poor boy" "who would kill a man at his own wedding" (cue rains of castamere soundtrack), really?

EDIT: Spoiler
But it was so artistically done.
http://imgur.com/gallery/0EQr6
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Not really. But I heard another opinion that I thought had some weight: they should have emphasized Oberyn's nickname and history of poisoning people before or during the episode. That way there's another obvious suspect. As it stands it's not the Lannisters and the only other people there are the Tyrells so it doesn't matter what they say, they still look guilty and Olenna looks guilty because she's obviously in charge and she's a (seemingly)snippy-but-harmless matriarchy and this is Game of Thrones.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:Anybody else think this episode telegraphed all too quickly who really poisoned Joeffrey? I mean, "help the poor boy" "who would kill a man at his own wedding" (cue rains of castamere soundtrack), really?
There's already a better version on the interwebs in only seventeen slides.
I think this falls under the same things as Barristan, possible to keep from a book audience, impossible from a TV audience. We will likely get confirmation of who killed who in episode four.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

As someone who hasn't read the books (only a few entries on their wikia), I wonder will Arya becoming apprentice to assassins be shown in this season?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

mr friendly guy wrote:As someone who hasn't read the books (only a few entries on their wikia), I wonder will Arya becoming apprentice to assassins be shown in this season?
No, not this season. Probably a couple of seasons down the road. She might meet them next season, though.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

SCRawl wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:As someone who hasn't read the books (only a few entries on their wikia), I wonder will Arya becoming apprentice to assassins be shown in this season?
No, not this season. Probably a couple of seasons down the road. She might meet them next season, though.
The promo images include pictures of the Titan of Braavos which means she will meet them this session. My question is will it be an episode capper or a season capper?

Think of the tone D&D would set if the last shot of season 4 is Arya meeting the Kindly Man in the House of Black and White. Then slow pull back to the weirwood door closing

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I would think it would be the end of the season, her arc seems to be going towards Arryn (they might even meet her and maybe sansa unlike in the book as it would give all of them something to do)
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I think its time they get of the rains of castamere. At this point it appears to be the only song anyone knows. It was cool, don't over use it.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

But it fit so very well whenever it was used.
------------
------------
My LPs
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Patroklos wrote:I think its time they get of the rains of castamere. At this point it appears to be the only song anyone knows. It was cool, don't over use it.
That's kinda the point for some. It's seen as the pretentious anthem of a bunch of assholes who are far too proud of their ability to do the basic job expected of their 8000 year old dynasty (with an extra side of brutality). I think Olenna (probably in the books) and Oberyn hint as much.
But it fit so very well whenever it was used.
The irony was great. It has two modes: bad ass (like here and at the RW) and just a bunch of annoying pricks being pricks (at the battle of Blackwater and the men who met Oberyn). We geddit, you like Tywin.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

:?:
------------
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Re: Rains of Castamere, I think the showrunners get it. Joffrey did throw gold coins at Sigur Ros to get them to fuck off while singing it after all.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Thanas wrote:Anybody else think this episode telegraphed all too quickly who really poisoned Joeffrey? I mean, "help the poor boy" "who would kill a man at his own wedding" (cue rains of castamere soundtrack), really?
My wife, who hasn't read the books, didn't pick it out on first viewing. I did tell her that the clues are there, so she plans to watch a second time to see if she can figure it out.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Thanas wrote::?:
What? It's a deliberate part of the Lannister characterization. They can't shut the fuck up about it and everyone that isn't a Lannister finds it annoying, even if they take it seriously. Sometimes it happens during bad-ass scenes, sometimes they just can't.Fucking. Stop. It's like the guy who can't shut up about how America is the greatest country in the world but less justified.

And sometimes the showrunners just want a bit of irony.

Though, I wonder if we'll hear the Dornishman's wife now that Oberyn is around?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sorry, maybe just a disconnect here.
------------
------------
My LPs
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I think they did a really good job with showing a version of the Bran-Vision this episode. That was always going to be a hard one to do, because you can be ambiguous and symbolic about what's going on in writing in a way that you can't in film. But they basically conveyed the jist of it very well.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

So, I haven't read the books, but is the Bolton/Reek subplot actually going somewhere worthwhile? And in the books are the Boltons really so cartoonish? I can't take any of the scenes with Ramsay seriously, he is just so over-the-top villainous just for the sake of being "oooh EEEEEEVil!!!!!!!111 omg". It just feels really pointless.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:So, I haven't read the books, but is the Bolton/Reek subplot actually going somewhere worthwhile? And in the books are the Boltons really so cartoonish? I can't take any of the scenes with Ramsay seriously, he is just so over-the-top villainous just for the sake of being "oooh EEEEEEVil!!!!!!!111 omg". It just feels really pointless.
Ramsay really is a psychopath. He's actually going to get a lot worse in upcoming episodes/seasons.

Roose in the book is even quieter and calmer than he is in the shows. He rarely shows emotion of any sort, so when he does, you know it's serious.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Alferd Packer wrote:
Ziggy Stardust wrote:So, I haven't read the books, but is the Bolton/Reek subplot actually going somewhere worthwhile? And in the books are the Boltons really so cartoonish? I can't take any of the scenes with Ramsay seriously, he is just so over-the-top villainous just for the sake of being "oooh EEEEEEVil!!!!!!!111 omg". It just feels really pointless.
Ramsay really is a psychopath. He's actually going to get a lot worse in upcoming episodes/seasons.

Roose in the book is even quieter and calmer than he is in the shows. He rarely shows emotion of any sort, so when he does, you know it's serious.
Like I said, they've toned Ramsey down considerably.

Also there's the lurking implication that Roose Bolton is the exact same sort of fucked up psycho if not much worse. He's just smarter and more in control of it, and knows that he has to present himself as an emotionless, calculating sociopath if he doesn't want everyone else to team up to gank him.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Who was that girl with Ramsey Bolton? I don't remember him having a girlfriend other than poor Jeyne Poole.

Reek, however, was one of the best moments of A Dance with Dragons. Theon's redemption was pretty great. We don't see him at all in the book this season is based on, however.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Spekio wrote:Who was that girl with Ramsey Bolton? I don't remember him having a girlfriend other than poor Jeyne Poole.

Reek, however, was one of the best moments of A Dance with Dragons. Theon's redemption was pretty great. We don't see him at all in the book this season is based on, however.
I'm pretty sure the two girls are the ones that were there when Theon lost his little friend.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Well, Ramsay never did express sexual interest in girls in the books other than in a sadistic way, so I'm left wondering if he will not hae his bitches hunt the other one.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Spekio wrote:Well, Ramsay never did express sexual interest in girls in the books other than in a sadistic way, so I'm left wondering if he will not hae his bitches hunt the other one.
This was discussed on the Westeros forums and it was pointed out that it does seem strange for such a misogynistic, psychopath/sadist to have that sort of relationship when he never expressed himself in such a way before but imo it's just a TV thing. Having a woman around may cut the mean-spiritedness of it for the showrunners? Makes it a bit less one-sided?

So no, I don't think that she'll be hunted.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Scrib wrote: This was discussed on the Westeros forums and it was pointed out that it does seem strange for such a misogynistic, psychopath/sadist to have that sort of relationship when he never expressed himself in such a way before but imo it's just a TV thing. Having a woman around may cut the mean-spiritedness of it for the showrunners? Makes it a bit less one-sided?

So no, I don't think that she'll be hunted.
That undermines the whole Reek/Ramsey dinamic the books had going on. But oh well. Reek's actor acting was top notch.