Doomsday in New York

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Doomsday in New York

Post by Enigma »

Bilbo wrote:
Enigma wrote:Even Supes stated that to get an advantage over DD, you need to keep him off the ground. Supes tried but everytime he did that, DD would be too fast\agile\strong for him to succeed. I found it weird after reading DoS that many of the DC superheroes were not there. I mean Hal should've been able to levitate DD off the ground and let others pummel him. Flash, WW, Batman were nowhere to be seen. In fact the only heavy hitters that DC used to fight DD were Superman, Bloodwynd, Guy Gardner and Maxima. The rest were third rate superheroes at best. I'm pretty sure that if all of the heavy hitters were there then the first DD encounter could've been the last.
Anything that Hal could have done Gardner could have done as well. Flash would have been toast. One hit and dead, sure DD may never hit him but Flash cannot hit DD anywhere near hard enough to hurt DD. Hell, Flash may hurt himself trying to hit DD hard enough to hurt him. Batman might be in the same situation, without prep time what is Bats going to do to DD.

Why were the rest of them not around? Probably because Supes, Gardner, Maxima, and Bloodwynd were there. They are all pretty heavy hitters. How often is there a problem too strong for the 4 of them to handle.

BTW, the rest of the crew that was there was Fire, Ice, Blue Beatle, and Booster Gold.
I know they were there but I considered them to be third raters.

If Hal was there then there would have been a chance that he could levitate DD into the air. Guy couldn't because the moment he was about to go on the offensive, he got badly bitchslapped. At least with the addition of Hal, then there was a chance of at least one of them that could make the attempt.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Enigma wrote:
If Hal was there then there would have been a chance that he could levitate DD into the air. Guy couldn't because the moment he was about to go on the offensive, he got badly bitchslapped. At least with the addition of Hal, then there was a chance of at least one of them that could make the attempt.
I get this great mental image. Guy charges in like he did in canon while Hal stays back to blast from a distance. DD grabs Guy and Hal thinks "hey maybe I should lift him off the ground" just as Guy's yellow ring shield sheathed body slams into Hal's body and sends them both flying into the next county.
I KILL YOU!!!
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Enigma wrote: I know they were there but I considered them to be third raters.

Green Lantern constructs wouldn't be able to immobilize Doomsday since he could break them by brute force. Some sort of green sticky gooey blob might keep Doomsday temporarily motionless, but he could probably produce a countermeasure fairly quickly, like a thunderclap or something.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Question, what level on the Richter scale would a ground zero quake be if it trips every seismographs(or what ever the machine that is used to detect quakes.) in the U.S.?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Enigma wrote:Question, what level on the Richter scale would a ground zero quake be if it trips every seismographs(or what ever the machine that is used to detect quakes.) in the U.S.?
As I understand, it wouldn't have to be too great. Vibrations travel really well through the earth's crust. A 4.6 (light, rattles things, no damage) will be detected all over the world.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Any mutants in New York / Marvel that can freeze someone in space/time, or teleport them by looking at them? (Sorry if I missed that).

Just freeze him in place in space/time, and then teleport him into low solar orbit
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Vendetta wrote:
Enigma wrote:Question, what level on the Richter scale would a ground zero quake be if it trips every seismographs(or what ever the machine that is used to detect quakes.) in the U.S.?
As I understand, it wouldn't have to be too great. Vibrations travel really well through the earth's crust. A 4.6 (light, rattles things, no damage) will be detected all over the world.
I can imagine that in the Marvel and DC universes seismographs get false readings all the time from superhero and villian activity. Hell, they might have the sensitivity on their equipment turned down just to avoid recording every time Hulk farts.
I KILL YOU!!!
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Galvatron wrote:
lance wrote:
Ted C wrote: I think a TK attack would still be the most effective. Lacking any independent flight ability, Doomsday will be pretty harmless if you keep him off the ground and out of reach of anything he might throw. Even superspeed wouldn't matter much at that point. From there, you just need to figure out how to move him to someplace that he can't do any harm.
Can Doomsday do a "Hulk clap" and hit people with shock waves?
I'm sure he can. The question is what good will it do him if he's levitated far enough away from any solid object for it to be effective? Can he use it to propel himself through the air?
The idea is normally to propel the other guy through the air. Or to burst his ear drums.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Scarlet Witch, Doomsday leaps, and lands in quick setting cement.

Alternately Doom could reused the Sonic Shark, which he used to steal a good portion of power from a hearld of Galactus or Two (Silver Surfer, and Terrax to be exact)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Stark wrote: Hey Praxis, can you actually discuss anything? Saying 'Sentry could probably beat Doomsday' is a totally worthless unsupported statement. Your gut-feeling analysis is entertaining reading only, if that.
Sure. We saw Sentry fight Hulk at WWH-level powers to a standstill, when Hulk was at levels of strength higher than Doomsday has demonstrated (for everything Doomsday did in his arc, he wasn't setting off earthquakes across a coast). Add in the fact that Sentry was arguably holding back due to his friendship with the Hulk, and that he has a tendency to throw people into space...I'd consider this in Sentry's favor.

Regardless, Doctor Strange and Mr. Fantastic can both pull out deus ex machinas to end the conflict at any time.

I'd be really curious if the little emo kid with the powers to turn into someone's worst fear would have any effect at all on Doomsday.

Also; did Doomsday have any demonstratable regeneration, or was he just really tough to damage? Kitty might be able to use her "phase someone into the ground" trick on him, and unlike Hulk, he might not be able to regenerate. And isn't there a New X-Man who can sap life energy or something? I vaguely remember him shorting out the Hulk's regeneration in the X-Men vs Hulk fight in World War Hulk.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Praxis wrote:And isn't there a New X-Man who can sap life energy or something?
There are TWO. One is has a life-draining touch, codenamed "Wither" for its effects on people. He's currently away from the institute and working with mutant vampire Selene.

The other is Elixer who is an omega level mutant with control over biology. At first, he could only heal, then he could only harm. Now, he can do both and used the kid-psychics, the Stepford Cookoos, to gain all of Beast's medical knowledge. He's done some pretty crazy stuff like giving villains massive cancerous tumors (killing Reverang striker), regrowing a student's heart after it was torn out and destroying a new strain Legacy Virus with the aid of X-23's (Wolverines artificially created daughter) Healing Factor.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Praxis wrote:<snip>Also; did Doomsday have any demonstratable regeneration, or was he just really tough to damage? Kitty might be able to use her "phase someone into the ground" trick on him, and unlike Hulk, he might not be able to regenerate. And isn't there a New X-Man who can sap life energy or something? I vaguely remember him shorting out the Hulk's regeneration in the X-Men vs Hulk fight in World War Hulk.
Unless DD is completely atomized he will regenerate from any damage and will be stronger and immune to the previous attack. Basically, only total vaporisation is enough to permanently kill off DD.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Enigma wrote:
Praxis wrote:<snip>Also; did Doomsday have any demonstratable regeneration, or was he just really tough to damage? Kitty might be able to use her "phase someone into the ground" trick on him, and unlike Hulk, he might not be able to regenerate. And isn't there a New X-Man who can sap life energy or something? I vaguely remember him shorting out the Hulk's regeneration in the X-Men vs Hulk fight in World War Hulk.
Unless DD is completely atomized he will regenerate from any damage and will be stronger and immune to the previous attack. Basically, only total vaporisation is enough to permanently kill off DD.
Which is an ability we never saw when he "killed" Superman and thus does not apply in the OP. In fact in the fight Superman kicks one of Doomsdays bone shards sticking out of his knee I think. The Shard snaps off, Doomsday actually screams in pain, and we do not see the shard regrow. So when he first appeared it does not look like DD had uber healing or regen powers.
I KILL YOU!!!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Bilbo wrote:
Enigma wrote:
Which is an ability we never saw when he "killed" Superman and thus does not apply in the OP. In fact in the fight Superman kicks one of Doomsdays bone shards sticking out of his knee I think. The Shard snaps off, Doomsday actually screams in pain, and we do not see the shard regrow. So when he first appeared it does not look like DD had uber healing or regen powers.
Not immediate regen but if you "kill" him without atomizing him, he will eventually regenerate and become stronger. Whatever attacks used to defeat him the first time will not work. Killing him and then just burying him or sending him into space will only let him regenerate and come back stronger.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Except Doomsday's Limitless Regen ability wasn't introduced until long AFTER he supposedly killed Clark and the OP explicitly says that for the purposes of this scenario, the post-Death of Superman DCU doesn't EXIST. DD can do everyhing he did in the Death of Superman storyline and THAT'S IT.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gullible Jones
Jedi Knight

Post by Gullible Jones »

Re old attacks not working: isn't that something of a no-limits fallacy? If the Hulk works up a planet-shattering rage and rips him in half (just for the sake of argument), will he now be immune to kinetic attacks once he regenerates?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

You're working on the mistaken assumption that superhero comics actually make sense. They don't.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Apocalypse might decide that Doomsday is interfering with his whole agenda of 'survival of the fittest' and him personally testing things and taking over (as Doomsday is at risk of killing the most powerful beings on the planet leaving the weak ones unaffected), and take matters into his own hand.

That's a pretty impressive hand to bring down on Doomsday. I mean, come on, he has access to Celestial Technology, and possible other alien sources.

Then again, he could decide Doomsday would make a nice host body, and take over it..... :shock:
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Batman wrote:Except Doomsday's Limitless Regen ability wasn't introduced until long AFTER he supposedly killed Clark and the OP explicitly says that for the purposes of this scenario, the post-Death of Superman DCU doesn't EXIST. DD can do everyhing he did in the Death of Superman storyline and THAT'S IT.

My bad.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Bilbo wrote:Flash would have been toast. One hit and dead, sure DD may never hit him but Flash cannot hit DD anywhere near hard enough to hurt DD. Hell, Flash may hurt himself trying to hit DD hard enough to hurt him.
Three words: Infinite. Mass. Punch. :P
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Can't Nightcrawler just teleport his head off? Or Blink or any of the other teleporters?
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

KrauserKrauser wrote:Can't Nightcrawler just teleport his head off? Or Blink or any of the other teleporters?

nightcrawler's never done that trick, blink has and kitty could try and phase a solid into him and leave it.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
KrauserKrauser wrote:Can't Nightcrawler just teleport his head off? Or Blink or any of the other teleporters?

nightcrawler's never done that trick, blink has and kitty could try and phase a solid into him and leave it.
Actually he did it in X-calibre to Deadpool. Not sure if that counts as it is an alternative universe from normal.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

He's only done it in Alternate Univeres IIRC, he also did it in "Age of Appocalypse"
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran