THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part IV.

Post by Irbis »

Jub wrote:It could just be a high CR foe with some serious magic helping out its AC. At the levels the party seems to be at +5 deflection bonuses to AC aren't outside the realm of the expected, let alone anything else like a haste bonus to AC, or an item that grants a luck, dodge, or even untyped bonuses to AC.
Given Crystal current look I am kind of sceptical of her having any magic items.

As for natural 1, maybe, but Crystal movement in that frame and smug look after suggests she dodged them somehow, not that Haley just missed in critical moment, IMHO.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Irbis wrote:
Jub wrote:It could just be a high CR foe with some serious magic helping out its AC. At the levels the party seems to be at +5 deflection bonuses to AC aren't outside the realm of the expected, let alone anything else like a haste bonus to AC, or an item that grants a luck, dodge, or even untyped bonuses to AC.
Given Crystal current look I am kind of sceptical of her having any magic items.

As for natural 1, maybe, but Crystal movement in that frame and smug look after suggests she dodged them somehow, not that Haley just missed in critical moment, IMHO.
You could directly enchant a golem, have cast buffs on her before sending her after the party, or even gone so far as to implant magic items within her animated flesh. No of which require house rules. That said, it could just be that Rich wanted this for the story and home brewed up a foe which I'd have no issue with.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

You could just have the golem wear magic items normally as far as I know, but yeah.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Jub wrote:You could directly enchant a golem, have cast buffs on her before sending her after the party, or even gone so far as to implant magic items within her animated flesh. No of which require house rules. That said, it could just be that Rich wanted this for the story and home brewed up a foe which I'd have no issue with.
You cannot buff a golem. She has to be homebrewed or not something from the SRD (Half-Golem, for instance) or she'd be nothing but a lumbering automaton.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Grumman wrote:
Jub wrote:You could directly enchant a golem, have cast buffs on her before sending her after the party, or even gone so far as to implant magic items within her animated flesh. No of which require house rules. That said, it could just be that Rich wanted this for the story and home brewed up a foe which I'd have no issue with.
You cannot buff a golem. She has to be homebrewed or not something from the SRD (Half-Golem, for instance) or she'd be nothing but a lumbering automaton.
It depends on the version you're playing, some editions made them immune to all but certain spells, and others only disallow some spells.

Pathfinder, for example, has the following rule regarding spells and flesh golems:

"A flesh golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below..."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Grumman wrote:
How so? All I see in the SRD is that they're immune to spells that allow a saving throw. Which might include buff spells like Haste and Bull's Strength (can be saved against, is harmless), but wouldn't include items like rings and cloaks of protection and such
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Is there anything, specifically, that grants a dodge bonus or miss chance or whatever against ranged attacks, but does not allow a saving throw?

Because that'd be the number one candidate here. Whoever (presumably Bozzok) arranged to sic golem-Crystal on Haley almost certainly knows she's an archer, and would do whatever is possible to make golem-crystal immune to arrows.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Simon_Jester wrote:Is there anything, specifically, that grants a dodge bonus or miss chance or whatever against ranged attacks, but does not allow a saving throw?

Because that'd be the number one candidate here. Whoever (presumably Bozzok) arranged to sic golem-Crystal on Haley almost certainly knows she's an archer, and would do whatever is possible to make golem-crystal immune to arrows.
Cloak of Displacement. And Rings of Protection et al for AC bonuses.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Simon_Jester wrote:Is there anything, specifically, that grants a dodge bonus or miss chance or whatever against ranged attacks, but does not allow a saving throw?
From what I see, just Mirror Image, Darkness, Obscuring Mist, Fog Cloud, Entropic Shield and Storm of Vengeance, though for obvious reasons these would be rather noticeable.

For extra irony, most of these spells Crystal can theoretically cast from her Assassin levels :lol:
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Irbis wrote:For extra irony, most of these spells Crystal can theoretically cast from her Assassin levels :lol:
If she had an Int score greater than 10.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

New OotS up. See, this is how you add progress despite combat scenes, though that raise dead seems to be completely unnecessary detail. Also, totally called who it was :twisted:

Wait, did Haley paid them any money at all? I was under impression she spent it during resistance period...
Ted C wrote:If she had an Int score greater than 10.
*cough* "theoretically" *cough* 8)
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Those gnomes are a pretty passive lot, you think they might you know runaway themselves or something.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Filler strip, but at least somewhat funny. Though, I wonder why not fly just above Crystal, out of reach, to make her focus solely on Haley? :|

The whole 'run away without keeping tabs on enemy you left in the middle of innocent crowd' thing wasn't that smart...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. Haley tends to be a short-term thinker in tactical situations, is my perception. Not good at anticipating enemy moves.

To be fair, she's running for her life.
Crazedwraith wrote:Those gnomes are a pretty passive lot, you think they might you know runaway themselves or something.
Well, the two Crystal kills are pretty much literally within arm's reach of her and she's a high-CR combat monster with, presumably, multiple attacks that would be almost sure to hit and kill low-level civilians.

So those first two might well be dead within a second or two, given that they were standing right next to her gaping in surprise when she charged up to them in the first place.

This is supported by the fact that the only thing that happens between the two panels where she kills them is Haley and B screaming "Aaaahh!"

By the time Crystal goes after the third gnome, he's actively running away.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

If you were a kickstarter back the third story is out...

For, Therkla this time.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm sure small business owners everywhere appreciate PCs being in their neighborhood.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

So, that was 1d4 + 1d6 damage...

About 6, on average. Somehow, I don't think that changed the situation any 8)
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Irbis wrote:So, that was 1d4 + 1d6 damage...

About 6, on average. Somehow, I don't think that changed the situation any 8)
They flanked her, so it would be 1d4 + 1d6 + whatever their sneak attack bonuses add up to. (Unless her golem form is immune to sneak attacks, which is admittedly likely.)
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

In 3.5 rules yes, constructs are immune to precision damage, critical hits, and sneak attack.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Haley at least probably has a high enough BAB for multiple attacks. But I expect the real goal is "Get Crystal to flinch by inflicting the first damage she's actually noticed this fight and then look for an opportunity."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Given that Crystal is an intelligent golem (well, as intelligent as she ever was when alive)... perhaps it is possible that she has a bit more in the way of actual anatomy than a normal golem and may be partially susceptible to precision damage?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Simon_Jester wrote:Given that Crystal is an intelligent golem (well, as intelligent as she ever was when alive)... perhaps it is possible that she has a bit more in the way of actual anatomy than a normal golem and may be partially susceptible to precision damage?
Probably not. Vampires are plenty intelligent and it doesn't affect their undead immunity to precision damage in 3.5.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, yes.

What I meant is more along the lines of the idea that Crystal isn't a normal golem even if her body was reanimated using golem-creation techniques. I mean, normally as far as I can remember, you wouldn't even make a flesh golem all out of the same body.

So her unique nature might include less critical hit immunity, in exchange for some other desirable tactical trait.

But this is probably a long-shot. Especially since the creator of the Crystal-golem knew perfectly well he'd be sending her to attack a rogue.