Gandalf: The Man Behind the Staff

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

NecronLord wrote:And no, Sauron left the Ring behind when he went to Numenor.
Are you certain? I just finished reading Tolkien's published letters, and I'm pretty sure that he mentioned in response to a reader that Sauron took the One Ring with him to Numenor, since it would be unlikely that Ar-Pharazon would recognize it, and even if he did, it would be almost impossible for a human to take it from him.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Are you certain? I just finished reading Tolkien's published letters, and I'm pretty sure that he mentioned in response to a reader that Sauron took the One Ring with him to Numenor, since it would be unlikely that Ar-Pharazon would recognize it, and even if he did, it would be almost impossible for a human to take it from him.
The published form of the Silmarillion contradicts this, where it states that upon his return to the Dark Tower he 'took up the one ring again' or some such. It may be that this was changed in intent after writing of course...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was told that the Silmarillion isn't internally consistent.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Silmarillion is an unfinished work, and contains some parts that should be considered definately non-canon, as there are notes written later (sometimes on the manuscript itself) that contradict it. Such an example is the 'elves became orcs' line, which has an annotation 'change this, orcs are not elvish.'
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

NeoGoomba wrote:-Can create artifacts that trap souls (the Nine Rings), give immortality (all the Rings), dominate others (again the Nine, the One), render invisibility (The One)
Two points: do the Nine really trap souls? And, IIRC, all the great rings render invisibility (the Nine specifically come to mind).
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I gotta say, this thread title should be a VH1 special.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I gotta say, this thread title should be a VH1 special.
lol I never thought of it like that, it would be an interesting special though :D
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

Didn't Gandalf also have a kind-of counter to the Nazgul fear affect? I remember reading how when the guards of Minas Tirith where striken with fear from the Nazgul, when Gandalf came by, not only where they no longer afraid, the where filled with hope and courage. Or something dramatic like that.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

spongyblue wrote:Didn't Gandalf also have a kind-of counter to the Nazgul fear affect? I remember reading how when the guards of Minas Tirith where striken with fear from the Nazgul, when Gandalf came by, not only where they no longer afraid, the where filled with hope and courage. Or something dramatic like that.
Yeah, you must've missed this part:
some of the stuff such as being unaffected by the Nazgul’s terror and some very minor quips were left out, forgotten or simply not found when I skimmed the book.
:D
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I gotta say, this thread title should be a VH1 special.
During the late 60s and early 70s, after his old friends Bilbo and Frodo Baggins had been sent overseas, Gandalf began to delve heavily into narcotics. This continued until October 11, 1975, when Gandalf was caught wondering aimlessly through the shire, lighting fireworks and causing other disorder. In his robes, a large bag of substance known as "Old Toby" was found, along with numerous other bits of paraphenelia. It would be months of hard rehab before this grey and worn Gandalf would be back to his normal, shimmering white self. Next of Gandalf, behind the Staff.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

New update added to relevant sections.
Last edited by Balrog on 2007-03-23 12:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Once again updated info added.
Last edited by Balrog on 2007-03-23 12:52am, edited 1 time in total.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

One thing I'd like to have seen was the origin of the Nazgul. All we hear is they were 'great kings of men', but were they evil initially, or were they corrupted by the Ring?

The only two who are ever named are the The Witch King of Angmar, and Angmar itself existed after the Nazgul as the whole purpose of the realm of Angmar was to destabilise Arnor and destroy the successor kingdoms. The other named Nazgul is Khamul the Easterling. What were these mens realms for instance?

I'm totally ignoring the ICE card game that even had non canon names and had IIRC, a female Nazgul.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

One thing I'd like to have seen was the origin of the Nazgul. All we hear is they were 'great kings of men', but were they evil initially, or were they corrupted by the Ring?
It is said that there were some who were evil and some who were good, and the rate that they fell under Sauron's control depended on their disposition. As for their origins, Tolkien never talked about them beyond WK's and Khamul's.