Legend of Korra Book 3 Trailer is up!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Legend of Korra Book 3 Trailer is up!

Post by Iroscato »

Mr Bean wrote:
Chimaera wrote: Awesome. Once I've caught up with One Piece (Christ they've made a lot of episodes) I'll start Korra, thanks 8)
Damn man, catching up with one piece is a slog without even getting into the filler arcs.
I'm doing every episode made, filler and all. I like to get a complete, expansive story. So far I'm thoroughly enjoying it, even the filler. It's one of the most incredibly imaginative works I've ever seen...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

One Piece's filler arcs don't outstay their welcome usually, but they're not very good either. The series kinda peaks at Water 7/Enies Lobby as well.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I'm at episode 70, last I checked. Coincidentally, it was ATLA that pushed me into giving anime a proper go, a 'foot in the door' so to speak. After Attack on Titan this is only the second series I've watched. I think I'm getting what the fuss is all about 8)
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Chimaera wrote:I'm at episode 70, last I checked. Coincidentally, it was ATLA that pushed me into giving anime a proper go, a 'foot in the door' so to speak. After Attack on Titan this is only the second series I've watched. I think I'm getting what the fuss is all about 8)
Aside from listing all my favorite animes I'll just say One Piece will keep you for... months now. Your talking about 213 hours of content counting fillers. 180 hours without filler which even if your watching two hours per day that's still three months before you need another recommendation.

OAN:Buzzfeed has pointed out something I missed, the water bender with no arms in the trailer. Totally missed that.
I hold out for Season 6: Energy

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Isn't the Airbender practicing with Korra Tenzin's older daughter?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote:Isn't the Airbender practicing with Korra Tenzin's older daughter?
unless there's a time skip don't think as the air bender there looks to be about the same age as Korra herself.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It seems like the rules have been rewritten wrt. bending, who can and how it's passed on.

Change is, indeed, appopriate.

(I may wait until the season is finished to watch it, I watched all of Book 2 in one go and didn't have nearly as negative an opinion of it as most, I think Korra works better in larger chunks because it has a less episodic structure than the original Avatar.)
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

So Mexico Nickelodeon aired some episodes.

I can say that the quality of the story is closer to the first season with Amun , which is a good thing in my opinion.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The video is a bit of info on the new characters which includes spoilers. Have no idea how accurate they are and for all I know its fan speculation. But interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOgQPh0ATrM
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

You can find the leaked videos in Spanish on YT.

Clearly there is a evil Airbender, and a few other new Airbenders. The new ones are supposed to be due to Harmonic Convergence causing new airbenders to be born in the Earth Kingdom. Not sure how this new Airbender is so skilled.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

So I was right. The trailer does show Korra metalbending.
Spoiler
She learns metalbending from Lin's half sister who has her own school of metalbenders.
That was from the leaked video on YT. Its in Spanish but its pretty obvious what is going on in that scene.

Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

mr friendly guy wrote:The video is a bit of info on the new characters which includes spoilers. Have no idea how accurate they are and for all I know its fan speculation. But interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOgQPh0ATrM
It's all relatively accurate, although the correction video they have is necessary since some of the stuff in the original video with Spoiler
Kai and the Dai Li
is flat out wrong based the leaked episodes.

Just for everyone's information, the leaked episodes have been fan subbed and for the most part they're pretty good. There are a few transliteration issues, but nothing that is going to leave you confused as to what is going on.

A quick summary of stuff for anyone interested Spoiler
So the issue of Korra being kept hidden and protected that was used in S1 and revisited in S2 returns again now in S3. We find out the reason behind it all was that there was an evil group version of the Gaang that went after Korra when the White Lotus first identified her. Zuko, Tenzin, and Tonraq stopped them and locked each one up in a different prison cell all across the world.

Zaheer, the leader of the Evil Gaang, a previous non-bender gets airbending as a consequence of what Korra did during the Harmonic Convergence (as to many other people at least in the Earth Kingdom and likely the entire world) and proceeds to escape and set about freeing the rest of his team, Ming Hua (an armless waterbender who bends water arms), Ghazan (an earthbender who can magma bend) and P'Li (a firebender who has Combustion Man's powers) so they can go after Korra. Zaheer has some connection to the Air Nomads as he displays a good deal of knowledge about them and skill with his sudden airbending, he also appears to be the new spiritual foil for Korra/Jinora.

Earth Queen Hou-ting is not her father's daughter. She abuses her power and the Dai Li, creating mass poverty among her citizenry throughout the Earth Kingdom and exacerbating the divide between the Upper, Middle and Lower Rings of Ba Sing Se. She has been having the Dai Li kidnap the newly occurring airbenders to create a private army for herself. She's also highly allergic to animal dander and I honestly suspect a part of her plan is to have airbenders create a permanent safe zone around her. Korra stops her and gets named an enemy of the state.

Korra also gets banished from Republic City for some reason, but that's in Eps 1-2 so no one knows why.

The other characters:
Finally we get to see some of what happened with Toph, who has 2 daughters with different fathers, Lin and Su Jin. The identities of the fathers are unknown. Su Jin and Lin were raised with the freedom to do what they wanted but they both just tried to curry favor with their mother, which displeased her as she wanted them to do what made them happy. Su Jin acted out and Lin tried to become a copy of her mom, these two eventually come to a head when Lin catches Su Jin being the wheelman on a robbery, in their struggle, Su Jin gives Lin her scar. Toph exiles Su Jin and destroy's Lin's report on the file, then proceeds to retire from the police force. Su Jin eventually matures and makes peace with Toph (and also becomes the inheritor of the Beifong fortune, building a metal city) while Lin stays away until eventually forced to return when Su Jin's daughter Opal becomes an airbender. The 2 sisters eventually make peace. Toph is potentially still alive as well, having disappeared when traveling the world to seek enlightenment.

In Ba Sing Se, Mako and Bolin find their long lost family (father's side). Their grandmother is suspected to be Jin, the girl Zuko went out with in his Tales of Ba Sing Se vignette.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Spoiler
I wonder how they're gonna explain the Beifong sisters having different fathers, I would suspect that they'll say that father of the eldest died and Toph remarried as that would cause the least amount of flack from the parents, but they've taken risks before
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Lord Revan wrote:Spoiler
I wonder how they're gonna explain the Beifong sisters having different fathers, I would suspect that they'll say that father of the eldest died and Toph remarried as that would cause the least amount of flack from the parents, but they've taken risks before
Spoiler
Neither daughter knows either father so it's doubtful that Toph actually married anyone, also Lin and Su Jin are rather close in age so I doubt one father would have died and then Toph immediately got with someone else to produce Su Jin.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Spoiler
Considering Toph's casual disregard for societal norms, not settling down in an actual marriage does sound like something she'd do. She was probably prime scandal fodder while still active in the public eye.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Spoiler
That said when we met Toph during ATLA she was 11 or 12, yet she came not just a police officer but the head of the Republic City police force so she must have found some degree of respect for those norms later in her life

Also where are you getting the age difference between the Beifong sisters, was it stated on those leaked episodes as far as I can tell there could easily be half dozen years between them.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Lord Revan wrote:Spoiler
That said when we met Toph during ATLA she was 11 or 12, yet she came not just a police officer but the head of the Republic City police force so she must have found some degree of respect for those norms later in her life

Also where are you getting the age difference between the Beifong sisters, was it stated on those leaked episodes as far as I can tell there could easily be half dozen years between them.
Spoiler
The ages weren't stated, it's something I inferred based on the way things are presented. When Lin arrests Su Jin she has only recently started being a cop (so has likely only recently completed school) while Su Jin should still be in school according to Lin. Based on the Gaang and Asami school clearly doesn't last as long in the Avatarverse as here yet, from Mako we know you can get a job as a cop early. Su Jin was old enough to drive it seems (that wasn't flagged as od or illegal by Lin) and I'd guess you still need to be an "adult" to do so. Putting it all together I figure Su Jin and Lin are only a few years apart, likely less than 3.