Legend of Korra "The Revelation" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Re: Legend of Korra "The Revelation" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

Chirios wrote:Anyone surprised by how much Korra and the Ferrets suck at fighting though? The Equalists owned them.
After 3 seasons of the Gaang pwning Fire Nation redshirts and mooks, it's actually refreshing to see the minions kicking the heroes' asses.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Chirios wrote: Yeah, so this show is awesome. Anyone surprised by how much Korra and the Ferrets suck at fighting though? The Equalists owned them.
I disagree remember how Korra took down three fire benders at once as well as three of the Triple Threat Triad punks one by one easily. She excels at fighting or at least fighting benders so when she suddenly had to go up against Amon's Spec-ops ninjas she got throw because they were not fighting like how she expected them too. As well I love that fight because it's such a nice contrast from season 1 when Katara on accident locks up three of the faceless fire benders while Aang the pacifist breezes through a dozen of them knowing only airbending.

Think about it this way based on what we've seen so far of the Chi-blocking Ninjas if Aang had to fight ten fire benders or just one Chi-Ninja which fight would be tougher for him? Based on what we've seen so far the basic Amon Ninja would wreck his shit. I look forward to what will be coming in this series because if nothing else I wonder if the ninjas will suffer villain decay so even Mako is fighting and beating four at once or if it's still an even fight right up until the end of the series.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The minions are used to facing Benders, and used their own fighting techniques mixed with Chi-blocking. A lot of their fighting was dodging or blocking Korra and Mako's attacks until they could get a good shot at arms and legs for Chi-blocking.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Benders could theoretically counteract the Equalist ninjas by doing what Aang did against Ozai. Surround themselves with their element. The Equalist now has to push against that element, which would slow them down (if air or water), and burn them if its fire.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Chi blocking seems to rely on hitting specific points on the body. Could those points be sufficiently protected with padding/armor to prevent chi blocking without hindering mobility ?
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

The first time Katara faced Ty Lee it did not go so well either. Ty Lee's abilities so shocked Katara that in the episode The Drill we have her trying to trap Ty Lee inside the drill, freaked out over the prospect of allowing Ty Lee an opportunity to even get close.

The Fire Nation was a nation, but the Equalists are a revolutionary movement that I suspect does not have the equivalent manpower and capacity as one of the Four Nations.

Better to think of those ninja guys like Ty Lee and Mai multiplied, rather than the equivalent of regular Fire Nation soldiers.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Haruko wrote:
Better to think of those ninja guys like Ty Lee and Mai multiplied, rather than the equivalent of regular Fire Nation soldiers.
To paraphrase, How many divisions does the Avatar have at her command?
Point is unless the equalists have lower level mooks every time she tangles with them she's two openings away from being unable to bend and it's off to Amon to take her bending away. The hordes of faceless baddies she has to fight are Ty Lee level by default. Amon has only the best after all because he's secretly...

Bumi! Or possibly the old Fire Lord Ozai! Or some third as yet unmet person
Seriously been reading and that's the three most popular fandom theories is that Amon is secretly Bumi one of the Avatar's sons taught energy-bending by his father because he lacked air-bending which is not nearly as interesting as Amon being an undying Fire Lord Ozai who knows the trick as having had it done to him once or and as yet unknown third party we have yet to meet.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

Mr Bean wrote:
Haruko wrote:
To paraphrase, How many divisions does the Avatar have at her command?
Point is unless the equalists have lower level mooks every time she tangles with them she's two openings away from being unable to bend and it's off to Amon to take her bending away. The hordes of faceless baddies she has to fight are Ty Lee level by default. Amon has only the best after all because he's secretly...

Bumi! Or possibly the old Fire Lord Ozai! Or some third as yet unmet person
Seriously been reading and that's the three most popular fandom theories is that Amon is secretly Bumi one of the Avatar's sons taught energy-bending by his father because he lacked air-bending which is not nearly as interesting as Amon being an undying Fire Lord Ozai who knows the trick as having had it done to him once or and as yet unknown third party we have yet to meet.
It can't be Ozai because Mark Hamill isn't the voice actor.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Chirios wrote: It can't be Ozai because Mark Hamill isn't the voice actor.
Then that only leaves

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

My god, it all makes sense now.

Seriously though, how badly would their society be ruined if no one could bend? How much of their industry and construction relies on bending? Seeing as how they use firebenders for power generation and assorted other tasks. On the other hand, I can understand wanting to take out the Triads, as the non-benders have no defense against them and probably feel like second class citizens.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:Seriously though, how badly would their society be ruined if no one could bend? How much of their industry and construction relies on bending? Seeing as how they use firebenders for power generation and assorted other tasks. On the other hand, I can understand wanting to take out the Triads, as the non-benders have no defense against them and probably feel like second class citizens.
I think the 70 years of industrialization will compensate for some aspects. But bending is still a critical part of the world industry and culture. It won't cripple it, but it would hurt it.
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

FaxModem1 wrote:My god, it all makes sense now.

Seriously though, how badly would their society be ruined if no one could bend?
Which, I suppose, is the point. Glorious Revolutions (tm) always sound good, but if you don't plan for the repercussions they always end horribly.
disagree remember how Korra took down three fire benders at once as well as three of the Triple Threat Triad punks one by one easily.
Yeah but those were just random dudes. It's like if Aang took out some Earth nation villagers. They're irrelevant. Far as I can tell Korra < Aang imo. Also Mako and err, Earthbending Brother < Katara and Sokka.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. It's not that Korra and her companions are weaker, it's that the enemies they face are more threatening than the typical Fire Nation soldiers that routinely served as Aang and Co's nameless enemies. The nameless enemies in The Last Airbender were Firebenders of moderate skill at best, for most of the series run. The nameless enemies in The Legend of Korra display a level of skill almost on par with Ty Lee in The Last Airbender, who was able to pose a serious threat to the Gaang.

It's not a case of the protagonists being weaker, but the antagonist's goons being stronger.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

The protagonists are also weaker, though. Pro-bending is pretty stylised, it's not really suited to actual fighting.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Bringing it up because no-one has yet, but the show's music is awesome. East Asian swing/jazz.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Zor wrote:Bringing it up because no-one has yet, but the show's music is awesome. East Asian swing/jazz.

Zor
Yeah, I'm really glad the Track Team came back to do the sound design/music for the new show. I was grinning from ear-to-ear last weekend at hearing not only the Avatar leitmotif, but the old bending sound effects.
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

I'd have thought air-bending, being all about movement and such would be a perfect style to fight the equalist ninjas. I'm not sure Ty Lee ever actually went up against Aang personally.

The way I saw the fighting in the latest episode was that neither Korra nor Mako were that good at fighting. They both had raw power but neither seemed to be able to move anywhere near as well as the top level characters in the original.

Also, how did Mako, apparently a street kid, learn to lightning bend? I thought it was meant to be a really difficult discipline.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Mako's got more of an excuse for losing to the chi blockers than Korra does. He's a competitor in a sport where you're not allowed to get up close and personal, so it's only natural that he'd be more practiced at long range combat than against non-bender martial artists.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Is anyone curious what Asami looks like?

The next episode has apparently leaked. The person who'd gotten hold of it has released a few images, but probably won't let anything bigger go. The fandom is currently in complete uproar due to implications of Mako being smitten with Asami (like, very obviously).
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Well psuedo-1920s setting... from the look of her, I'm going to guess she'll be a sort of femme fatale.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Actually, Asami's description calls her very polite, and the leaked scene seems to involve her sweetly apologizing to Mako for running him over with her scooter.

Personally, I'm hoping she's secretly an Equalist.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Oh yeah. And episode 4 leaked.

Nick really needs to get better security for their homepage. Just like with episode 1, someone nabbed it because it was uploaded and hidden there. Or they could just have waited until the airdate to put it up...
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

Bright wrote:Oh yeah. And episode 4 leaked.

Nick really needs to get better security for their homepage. Just like with episode 1, someone nabbed it because it was uploaded and hidden there. Or they could just have waited until the airdate to put it up...
The same happened with the second episode of GoT. Why they upload the videos early I'll never know.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

JME2 wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Seriously though, how badly would their society be ruined if no one could bend? How much of their industry and construction relies on bending? Seeing as how they use firebenders for power generation and assorted other tasks. On the other hand, I can understand wanting to take out the Triads, as the non-benders have no defense against them and probably feel like second class citizens.
I think the 70 years of industrialization will compensate for some aspects. But bending is still a critical part of the world industry and culture. It won't cripple it, but it would hurt it.
The Airship industry might collapse, I think that those depend on benders, but they have progressed past steam punk at this point, they're actually using gasoline, see the underlined part.
Also, the part I put a box around, the Cabbage Man's legacy continues indeed.