What sort of immortality would you want?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: What sort of immortality would you want?

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Manthor wrote:Reincarnation any day.A fresh new slate,none of the hangups and eventually if I meditate enough and become enlightened,I can escape the cycle of reincarnation and achieve nirvana
Reincarnation always struck me as fairly pointless. If "I" am reborn without the memories of my previous life, then as far as I'm concerned the reborn person isn't really me in the first place. It's about as much "immortality" as arranging to have yourself eaten by a tiger and claiming you'll live on in the tiger because some of your mass will end up part of it. In both cases, what makes you you is gone.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I think I'd first have to ask why humans should be immortal in the first place, what kind of purpose ought to be fulfilled that way, before picking any specific form of it. Is there any special reason other than "for its own sake"?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Metahive wrote:I think I'd first have to ask why humans should be immortal in the first place, what kind of purpose ought to be fulfilled that way, before picking any specific form of it. Is there any special reason other than "for its own sake"?
To answer your question, I will echo Woody Allen, who said: "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

So it's because dying's, like, a real bummer, dude? Well then pick that elven sort of immortality where you simpy stop aging after puberty.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer