Captain America Filming Pictures (SPOILERS)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Re: Captain America Filming Pictures (SPOILERS)

Post by Sarevok »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I think those are flamethrowers on his bike.
So do you reckon they are giving Captain America the Dark Knight treatment ? Complete with a armed motor bike ? 8)
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think the guy's killed a crapload of people, really. I mean, in the comics. I don't see him having a no-kill code, personally. I mean, he hangs out with Wolverine who goes snikt-bub, and the Punisher. I don't think he gets (or needs) any TDK treatment.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Nah I mean aesthetically. The comic look vs gritty, realistic look.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, I am sure quite a few comics also have gritty looks. A few of them even had him ridiculing France. :P

A lot of comics have even grittier Batmans than TDK. Like where he became a vampire and ate Poison Ivy's breasts and shit.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
A lot of comics have even grittier Batmans than TDK. Like where he became a vampire and ate Poison Ivy's breasts and shit.
Seriously?

When did DC let you into the writer's chair Shroom?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Sarevok wrote:A guy in a funny costume beating up infantry does not work anymore in 21st century. A movie is not a cheap 1940s comic book. To take Captain America seriously you need to at least try to make him capable of defeating well armed soldiers.
Again, examples of modern movies where a single guy defeats hordes of enemies are numerous. The fact that this guy wears a red, white and blue costume makes zero difference. Considering that Cap is borderline-superhuman and isn't limited to just punching people anyway, it would take some really sorry-ass suspension of disbelief to find him especially unrealistic.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:I think the guy's killed a crapload of people, really. I mean, in the comics. I don't see him having a no-kill code, personally. I mean, he hangs out with Wolverine who goes snikt-bub, and the Punisher. I don't think he gets (or needs) any TDK treatment.
He definitely doesn't have a code against killing. The first issue of his current series had him tossing terrorists off the roof of a moving train. It was confirmed that some of them didn't make it. He'll avoid it when he can, but he does what's necessary. In a war setting? Not a chance.
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

While I realise we might not have the fondest memories of Civil War, Cap's interactions with the Punisher were less than totally friendly there due in no small part to the Punisher's policy of killing people.

I hadn't come across the Hugo Weaving as Red Skull info before, so colour me hopeful on the villain front.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

xt828 wrote:While I realise we might not have the fondest memories of Civil War, Cap's interactions with the Punisher were less than totally friendly there due in no small part to the Punisher's policy of killing people.

I hadn't come across the Hugo Weaving as Red Skull info before, so colour me hopeful on the villain front.
I hadn't heard about that, but it's a good sign. Weaving is quite good at the "quiet menace" type of character...the only better choice for the Red Skull I can think of would be someone like Anthony Hopkins.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Bright wrote:
Sarevok wrote:A guy in a funny costume beating up infantry does not work anymore in 21st century. A movie is not a cheap 1940s comic book. To take Captain America seriously you need to at least try to make him capable of defeating well armed soldiers.
Again, examples of modern movies where a single guy defeats hordes of enemies are numerous. The fact that this guy wears a red, white and blue costume makes zero difference. Considering that Cap is borderline-superhuman and isn't limited to just punching people anyway, it would take some really sorry-ass suspension of disbelief to find him especially unrealistic.
Captain is not bullet proof. He cant turn invisible or fuck with peoples minds like the Shadow causing them to miss. If he just ran around and hit by people it would look stupid. Just because many other movies employ the dumb one man army with unexplained bullet dodging powers gimmick does not make it any less stupid.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Sarevok wrote:Captain is not bullet proof. He cant turn invisible or fuck with peoples minds like the Shadow causing them to miss. If he just ran around and hit by people it would look stupid. Just because many other movies employ the dumb one man army with unexplained bullet dodging powers gimmick does not make it any less stupid.
His shield is bullet proof and more. He wears body armor. He can run a mile in a minute, and doesn't get tired. He uses guns where appropriate, and has stupid-good aim. He's a super-soldier. Furthermore, Cap is a tactician. Obviously, he isn't going to run headlong into a platoon of Nazis - at least not unless the writing is shit. No, he'd use his head. All this makes it more than plausible that he can fight like any other action hero. You're creating a problem where there is none.

If you yourself admit that many other movies use the "dumb one man army with unexplained bullet dodging powers gimmick", then I fail to see how it doesn't work in the 21st century anymore.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Am I one fo the few people who actually LIKE the retro, paded look of Captain America?

I mean, when I read about people bitching that the wings on his helmet were painted on instead of "Real" molded wings, well Its hard to believe people can get so picky.

I mean the photos I see look like what a "real" hero might look like if made in WWII.

his suit is practical, padded, and he has a helmet that looks only slightly modified from a real WWII army helm.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

No, you aren't.

The crybabying over headwings is akin to whining that TDK batman didn't have bat nipples.
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

xt828 wrote:While I realise we might not have the fondest memories of Civil War, Cap's interactions with the Punisher were less than totally friendly there due in no small part to the Punisher's policy of killing people.

You gotta remember though, in that case the Punisher was killing two super villains that had just teamed up with the Resistance, they weren't a threat to anyone and we actually allies. Cap was mad at Punisher for being a liability at that point and killing in cold blood rather then self defense.
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

I quite liked that arc - I think it was about three comics total - in that it showed that Cap and Frank have utterly different moral compasses. For Frank, the important thing was that they were villains - as bad guys, they had to die. For Cap, the important thing was that they were prepared to ally with him - their previous allegiances and (it's suggested) ongoing criminal activities were less important than their help against a common foe. I thought it actually worked quite well as a metaphor for the his service in WW2 and the alliance with the Soviets.

I did get the strong impression that Cap objected to Frank just walking into the room and shooting people right after they'd been congratulated on changing teams, too. Makes you wonder if Frank would try to kill say Quicksilver if given the chance, as another past criminal.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

I'd say yes. He tried to kill Eddie Brock, who was probably mostly not responsible for his actions, after he became Anti-Venom. While they were on the way to rescue some people.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:No, you aren't.

The crybabying over headwings is akin to whining that TDK batman didn't have bat nipples.
I don't have a problem with the headwings, but I take exception to you comparing it with the bat-nipples.
The wings on Cap's helmet are a prominent feature of his costume in the comics. They've been part of his costume for pretty much his entire career. The bat-nipples were entirely the product of Schumacher's fevered mind - not a carry-over from any Batman comic I've ever heard of.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Behold! Steve Rogers!

Unfortunately not in the costume. But damn, does Evans look ripped or what? Here's some other pictures from the set too.
Moby Halcyon
Youngling

Post by Moby Halcyon »

Hope this isn't too much of a necro, but Entertainment Weekly has a few new pictures related to the movie: Link. I didn't know Hugo Weaving was attached to play the Red Skull. Weaving's always worth watching as a villain in my book.
"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'"
—Fred, Angel
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

<3 the old-style shield. Little sad that Chris Evans manages to look a touch scruffy regardless of what he's wearing.

Hugo Weaving is rarely not worth watching. He's a good actor and generally chooses roles well.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Not digging the uni while he is on the bike, but the pictures from this place are very reassuring. :D

Especially this...

Fucking dope.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Havok wrote:Not digging the uni while he is on the bike, but the pictures from this place are very reassuring. :D

Especially this...

Fucking dope.
At least for the WWII setting, I am fully in favor of the non-circular shield.
I am looking forward to this. Here's hoping that between it and Green Lantern we have a nice, full-of-good-comic-movies year ahead!
Marikina
Redshirt

Post by Marikina »

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I am assuming that is "modern" Captain then?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm good with that. I was hoping they would do something neat with the scale male look, but this is understandable. I'm guessing that based on the guys in the background though, that yeah, modern Cap.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hmmm... actually it looks like they are in the foreground as well. Cap is surrounded. Uh oh! :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)