Elf Haters

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:In that world steel is deadly even in touch to them, so their weapons are sharpened bone and ivory enhanced with magic.
...Why don't they just use bronze, then?

... :shock:

...................................................ummmmm :shock:

You just shut up and stop ruinning one of my favorite books, ok? :wink:

I dunno. Bone is cooler and there's very little copper in the Faerie realm. That's my guess.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Elf Haters

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Gil Hamilton wrote: The only problem is that the ponsy D&D elves go complain to their dangerous Celtic cousins
Except the Drow Elves, of course.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Yeah, you try and kick drow ass and they will chop of your legs and ram them down your throat - if they can get all their swords pointed in the right direction that is...
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

It's kinda hard to just say "Elves" anymore.

Do you mean the Poncey, arrogant High Elves?

The Naturalistic Hippie Wood Elves?

The Violent and sinister Dark Elves?

Or the Sci-Fi Eldar?

Mind you, that's just the Games Workshop versions.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

SAMAS wrote: The Violent and sinister Dark Elves?
They're called Druchii!
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

HIT-MAN, I wouldn't be too surprised if something as utterly sadistic as a seelie or unseelie is somehow related to you. It'd just make too much sense.

Anyway. IB brings up the best Elf quote ever. Elves aren't nice. BTW, it's from the novel Lords and Ladies, by Terry Prachett. You will go read this book. For it rules.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SirNitram wrote:HIT-MAN, I wouldn't be too surprised if something as utterly sadistic as a seelie or unseelie is somehow related to you. It'd just make too much sense.

Anyway. IB brings up the best Elf quote ever. Elves aren't nice. BTW, it's from the novel Lords and Ladies, by Terry Prachett. You will go read this book. For it rules.
The Queen of the Elves also makes a second appearance in the novel Wee Free Men, yet again showing how nasty they can be.
Fun part is that much of what's in the novel is taken from a painting by Richard Dadd called The Fairy Fellers' Master-Stroke. Sci-Fi Channel once played a movie based on this poor Victorian gentleman's life. In a time when seeing Faeries was popular, he claimed to have seen and danced with many of them. He was put on trial for killing his father after supposedly seeing one of the Faeries die at his father's hands, and spent the rest of his life in an asylum. Viewers of his painting have claimed it seems so real that they can feel the summer heat waving off it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

LadyTevar wrote:Fun part is that much of what's in the novel is taken from a painting by Richard Dadd called The Fairy Fellers' Master-Stroke.
Yeap, well done for reading the author's note :)

Acualyl, just that scene - I'm fairly certain there were no pictsies in theta painting *shudder*
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Gotta love Pictsies... Thrown out of Fairyland for being Drunk and Disorderly...

BTW, anyone else find the odd resemblence between the Queen in her Glamour-less state and a more modern creature of myth that comes from a strange land we can't get to, and takes people away..?

She's a Grey!

Spoiler in tiny type for those who haven't read Lords and Ladies..
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I dislike a lot of fantasy elves because they're poorly written. They tend to become bad cliches about the wise and all knowing elder race or naturalistic eco-friends after a while. I was particularly annoyed at Blizzard for doing that in Warcraft 3 with the Night and High Elves.

Tolkien was one of the few to tend it right and unfortunately his definitions of the fantasy races became all to standard. Few writers since have done it right.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Bah, Elves ain't got nothin' on Dwarves. Dwarves kick ass. :mrgreen:
By His Word...
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:Bah, Elves ain't got nothin' on Dwarves. Dwarves kick ass. :mrgreen:
Only Dwarf ass. They can't kick high enough to kick human/orc/elf ass.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Darth Utsanomiko wrote:Bah, Elves ain't got nothin' on Dwarves. Dwarves kick ass. :mrgreen:
They can when they chop off said human/orc/elf legs :mrgreen:.
Shortie
Jedi Knight

Post by Shortie »

SecondStorm wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:
They can when they chop off said human/orc/elf legs :mrgreen:.
Since we're doing Pratchett quotes, there's an old Dwarven proverb that goes something like:

"When his waist is level with your head your teeth are level with his crotch."
My wife went to Vorbarr Sultana and all I got was this bloody shopping bag.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
But thats when they whip out the boomsticks..

"Suck on blackpowder fugly!!"
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

Tolkien Elfs are very good...
TSR elfs are so many and so steriotypes that is not fun...
White Wolf elfs..wait, Sidhe are not really elfs...If you talk about the celtic legends they are great, even if extremelly warlike mongrels...WW sidhes are those who fucked up everything but are also the changeling kiths they best developed and my favorites...At least, they are always useful NPCS...
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

lgot wrote:Tolkien Elfs are very good...
TSR elfs are so many and so steriotypes that is not fun...
White Wolf elfs..wait, Sidhe are not really elfs...If you talk about the celtic legends they are great, even if extremelly warlike mongrels...WW sidhes are those who fucked up everything but are also the changeling kiths they best developed and my favorites...At least, they are always useful NPCS...
Mages, Vampires and Werewolves all make good NPCs.
Changeling do not IMHO. It simply doesnt make for good interaction between the various WW species.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

This is falsehood caused by changeling's market failure. I play WW for more than a decade and never had a problem with using Changeling among Garous, Mages and Vampires. Actually, it is a must have...
If there is a WW system with hard interaction is Wraith, not Changeling...
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

Well thats your opinion and your welcome to it :).
Elves, goblins, gnomes, faeries "and stuff" simply doesnt fit into my World of Darkness.
Santa Claus and his elves can kiss my hairy arse :D.

Wraith can easily interact with 2 of the 3 main species of WW namely Vampires(Giovanni) and Mages(Euthanatos, Dreamspeakers and in some way Void Engineers).
But granted Wraith isnt the easiest to fit into the "big 3" ;).

Changeling simply doesnt belong to the world of either Mage, Vampire or Werewolf which also shows. Noone buys Changeling material(or Wraith for that matter).

I have great hopes for Demon the Fallen :).

What a blatant thread-jack :oops: .
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

well, since 2001 around, White Wolf lost his better writters and they publish only bad stuff...

Now, Dreamspeaker, Fiannas (actually a lot of Garous are heavilly related to changeling stuff) , Malkavians are all easy to relate with Changelings...More easy than Giovanni- Wraiths for they actuall can not go in the Shadowlands and everyone can go in the dreaming...

Plus- Sluagh/Wraith is even easier for Sluaghs can just peek them...
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Pratchett Elves are right bastards. One only has to read Lords and Ladies to see that...
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
LT.Hit-Man
Rabid Monkey

Post by LT.Hit-Man »

SirNitram wrote:HIT-MAN, I wouldn't be too surprised if something as utterly sadistic as a seelie or unseelie is somehow related to you. It'd just make too much sense.

Well what can I say it's bred in the bone.
I'll keep an eye out for that book, thanks for tell me about it
Brotherhood of the Monkey: Rabid Sith Monkey from hell.
Mad scribbler of the Writer's Guild Headquarters
Grand Inquisitor of ASVS (ret) ASVS Vets Assc.

" poor bruised and mistreated? jesus Christ Iggy, you haven't been watching Voyager reruns again have you? " - Darth Fanboy
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

lgot wrote:well, since 2001 around, White Wolf lost his better writters and they publish only bad stuff...

Now, Dreamspeaker, Fiannas (actually a lot of Garous are heavilly related to changeling stuff) , Malkavians are all easy to relate with Changelings...More easy than Giovanni- Wraiths for they actuall can not go in the Shadowlands and everyone can go in the dreaming...

Plus- Sluagh/Wraith is even easier for Sluaghs can just peek them...
How many venture into the Dreaming? Not many. Ability is one thing. Actually doing so it is quite another.
And some Paths of Necromancy allows you to pierce the Shroud btw.

A cross-over Fianna-Changeling story was as easily done as a Giovanni-Wraith.
There have been more cross-overs product for Vampires-Wraiths than for Changeling-any other WW sepcies(have there been any at all?).

It all comes down to what public opinion likes and public opinon didnt like the WW-elves. That they didnt like Wraith as well was not surprising IMO. The market was already saturated and even more product kept coming. Changeling and Wraith simply fell short.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

Actually, Everyone goes in the Dreaming. Only dead people goes in Shadowland. The same mage that can travel to shadowland can travel to dreaming. Malkavs or anyone with enough auspex level can travel, not just peek, to the dreaming.
Now, by the simple fact that Changelings do interact with real world easier than most Wraiths, their crossover is easier.
There is Rage Across Apalachia - A Gaoru/Changeling book, There is in Kindred Most Wanted a Werewolf - Ossian - who was kidnaped by Changelings, In Freholds there is a Frehold that was hunted by a vampire, One frehold that belongs to both Mages and Changelings, The Deziens of Dreaming book is related to the same event that destroyed (finished) the Wraith plotline, Fiannas are related to Sidhes in any book, the 3 books of house deals with Fomorians invasions - related to Garou stories - The Red Star Story is found in Changeling as well, Kyassid are still "related" to changelings and there goes...
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

SAMAS wrote:It's kinda hard to just say "Elves" anymore.

Do you mean the Poncey, arrogant High Elves?

The Naturalistic Hippie Wood Elves?

The Violent and sinister Dark Elves?

Or the Sci-Fi Eldar?

Mind you, that's just the Games Workshop versions.
HEHE and of course all of these do not fall foul of the 'No Shock troops' Arguement given before.

High Elves, Can everyone say Silver Helms, and Dragon Princes? Or the Spearmen, Civilian Levy, which spend fully a Quarter of their Lives training with the same unit....

Wood Elves yes they use archer's... Alot but Wardancer's are the very definition of Shock Trooper's, watch as they dive over your heads to hit your General, ignoring the cannon fodder screen.

Dark Elves... Don't mess with them, nuff said.
Eldar... Well they don't have Archer's being a Sci-Fi group.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '