Digimon vs Pokemon

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

which series was better?

Pokemon ((go pikachu))
24%
Digimon ((lets digivolve))
45%
neithere they were both annoying
30%

Total votes: 33

mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

Archaic` wrote:
Badme wrote:
Exonerate wrote: Get rid of substitute, add blizzard and you're set.
Only if you're going up against an Execcutor or whatever that thing's name is.
Which, as I recall, featured heavily in the metagame back then, and was frequently found high ranked squads from the original world tourney, including as I recall both EeveeTrainer's UPN themed squad, and Karma Charmeleon's team. This Mewtwo set's useless in G/S/C thanks to the winding back of Amnesia, but in (G)/R/B/Y, that is the standard.
Although he was featured heavily in R/B/Y metagame as a Mewtwo killer, several others worked better, IMO.I'm thinking of Starmie and Slowbro). Standard Tobybro was/is somewhat weakened by Stadium's 'new' Substitute rule (where a substitute couldn't be hit by most status ailements).

But yeah, Grep is a R/B/Y set, not for use in G/S/C.
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

Robert Treder wrote:I hate both of them with a passion, but Digimon is at least vaguely watchable, in that the show doesn't look like something that came out of a cat's ass.

Biggest strike against Digimon: the themesong. The lyrics are, as far as I can tell: "Digimon, digital monsters, digimon are the champions."

Even that's better than the whole "Gotta catch 'em all" bullshit, though.
Both of those theme songs have been discarded.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Badme wrote:
Archaic` wrote:
Badme wrote: Only if you're going up against an Execcutor or whatever that thing's name is.
Which, as I recall, featured heavily in the metagame back then, and was frequently found high ranked squads from the original world tourney, including as I recall both EeveeTrainer's UPN themed squad, and Karma Charmeleon's team. This Mewtwo set's useless in G/S/C thanks to the winding back of Amnesia, but in (G)/R/B/Y, that is the standard.
Although he was featured heavily in R/B/Y metagame as a Mewtwo killer, several others worked better, IMO.I'm thinking of Starmie and Slowbro). Standard Tobybro was/is somewhat weakened by Stadium's 'new' Substitute rule (where a substitute couldn't be hit by most status ailements).

Starmie & Slowbro? Wasn't Jolteon the other preferred Mewtwo Killer, besides Execcutor?
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

darthdavid wrote:But pokemon don't get very strong without people either. And if you go with a trainer being involved then digimon win easy. (when do you see 50 foot pokemon with firepower similar to mid sized conventional explosive bombs)
Never.

But that's only because no Pokemon ever reach 50 feet tall/long.

Unless you count the anime, where a 100-foot Pokemon sank half a city...
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

SAMAS wrote:
darthdavid wrote:But pokemon don't get very strong without people either. And if you go with a trainer being involved then digimon win easy. (when do you see 50 foot pokemon with firepower similar to mid sized conventional explosive bombs)
Never.

And the huge dragon pokemon from when Ash met William (Bill), I think...

Though for stupidity factor I must give it to pokemon, when I saw the third movie in Japan I could understand about 3/4 of the words, even though I had only been taught a weeks worth of japanesse by a friend (and now, to be fair, half of those words were "Ma-ma").
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

SAMAS wrote:
Never.

This whole topic is about the anime of Digimon vs Pokemon.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

Archaic` wrote:
Badme wrote:
Archaic` wrote: Which, as I recall, featured heavily in the metagame back then, and was frequently found high ranked squads from the original world tourney, including as I recall both EeveeTrainer's UPN themed squad, and Karma Charmeleon's team. This Mewtwo set's useless in G/S/C thanks to the winding back of Amnesia, but in (G)/R/B/Y, that is the standard.

Starmie & Slowbro? Wasn't Jolteon the other preferred Mewtwo Killer, besides Execcutor?
IIRC, Jolteon with TWave+Pin Missle did enjoy limited popularity, however, it never became as huge of a player as Eggy and SlowBro. Partly becuase Pin Missle was horribly weak, partly because Pin Missle didn't really have much of a use against other types. Highly specialized Poke, others are more versatile.

And how could you forget TobyBro and its variations against Mewtwo? :)

Starmie, IIRC, was quite a good Mewtwo killer...and with G/S/C tradebacks, the Death Star moveset is makes is amazing.

Chansey with Minimize+Rest+Softboiled+Light Screen (It can learn Light Screen, right?) was very effective, however most competitions/tournies that banned Legendaries also banned evasion/accuracy modifiers.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Badme wrote:
Archaic` wrote:
Badme wrote: Although he was featured heavily in R/B/Y metagame as a Mewtwo killer, several others worked better, IMO.I'm thinking of Starmie and Slowbro). Standard Tobybro was/is somewhat weakened by Stadium's 'new' Substitute rule (where a substitute couldn't be hit by most status ailements).

IIRC, Jolteon with TWave+Pin Missle did enjoy limited popularity, however, it never became as huge of a player as Eggy and SlowBro. Partly becuase Pin Missle was horribly weak, partly because Pin Missle didn't really have much of a use against other types. Highly specialized Poke, others are more versatile.

And how could you forget TobyBro and its variations against Mewtwo? :)

Starmie, IIRC, was quite a good Mewtwo killer...and with G/S/C tradebacks, the Death Star moveset is makes is amazing.

Chansey with Minimize+Rest+Softboiled+Light Screen (It can learn Light Screen, right?) was very effective, however most competitions/tournies that banned Legendaries also banned evasion/accuracy modifiers.
You forgot the factor of Jolt's speed too. But yes, highly specialized.

And I was primarily an Anime person back then. I only really got into the games in G/S/C, and then I specialized in Bugs.

What kind of tournies banned those? oO Certainly not the official ones.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Please cut down on quoting.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

I use a Jolteon myself. It's original purpose was to kill Mewtwos, was loaded with Thunder (Damage), Pin Missile (Bug Type), Double Kick (Against Rock/Ground), and something I don't remember... Pin missile really does do a fairly low level of damage though.

However, my backup seemed to work better than Jolteon, if it were to survive the first turn (And my opponent didn't have blizzard, which would've saved you Badme :P) I'd just use horn drill until either Rhydon fainted or Mewtwo did. And I've used it on a Gamesharked Mewtwo with 999 in every stat. That was hilarious, because he just kept toying with me until my horn drill hit home.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

Robert Treder wrote:"Splinter taught them to be ninja teens (he's a radical rat)" ... "Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines (that's a fact, Jack)" ... "Raphael is cool but rude, Michaelangelo is a party dude"
Ahhh, memories.
I thought it was "Splinter taught them to be fighting teens."
The revolution is successful, but survival depends on drastic measures. Your continued existence represents a threat to the well-being of society. Your lives means slow death to the more valued members of the colony. Therefore I have no alternative but to sentence you to death. Your execution is so ordered.

Signed,
Kodos, Governor of Tarsus 4.

The Justice League
The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

Baron Mordo wrote:
Robert Treder wrote:"Splinter taught them to be ninja teens (he's a radical rat)" ... "Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines (that's a fact, Jack)" ... "Raphael is cool but rude, Michaelangelo is a party dude"
Ahhh, memories.
I thought it was "Splinter taught them to be fighting teens."
Are you from one of those other countries where the stupid censors renamed it "Teenage Mutant *Hero* Turtles"? That would probably explain it.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Digimon was all right if nothing else was on, which was generally the case. Pokemon caused me to turn off the TV.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Well here in the states where it started it was called Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles. They were trined as ninjas, IE the assasins and Spies of the warring states period in Japan.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!