Who dies next in HP? (Possible Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I don't think Harry's gonna have a love interest period. Considering all that has happened to him in book 5, he's going to be very reclusive and solitary, staying away from everyone as much as he can in book 6. I say he won't have any love interests for book 6.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

It would be interesting for our hero to get Anakin on the killer. Some glimmerings of his relation to Vold-dude?
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

Darth Gojira wrote:It would be interesting for our hero to get Anakin on the killer. Some glimmerings of his relation to Vold-dude?
JK already said that there are not in the least bit related.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Captain_Cyran wrote:I don't think Harry's gonna have a love interest period. Considering all that has happened to him in book 5, he's going to be very reclusive and solitary, staying away from everyone as much as he can in book 6. I say he won't have any love interests for book 6.
I think he'll be attracted to someone by the end of his sixth year.

For anyone who's wondering, I have NO idea why Harry finds it particularly disturbing that he has to kill Voldemorte, or even why he considers it murder, seeing as how it's obviously in self-defense. If he runs out and tortures Voldemorte while laughing and laying the Darth Vader smackdown on Voldemorte, it will STILL be self-defense, if a bit proactive.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Admiral Johnason wrote:
Gil Hamilton wrote:I'm thinking that ole Snape is next on the chopping block myself.
People have been saying that sence the first book. I don't think JK will do it now. He's too hated to die.
After read OOTP, I found Snape to be quite a sympathetic character. In fact, I got really pissed at Harry for not apologizing to him for a) sticking his nose, literally, into Snape's business (the pensieve), and b) for what an ass Harry's father was to Snape. I thought Harry should say something along those lines, demonstrating that Harry is not his father. Of course, he's fifteen, so it would have been quite a stretch for him to do so, but I still was disappointed that he didn't.
Jadeite wrote:Im betting it'll be McGonagal next. She's old, and has the whole stern grandmother type personality. Not to mention she came pretty close to getting whacked in Book 5.
Yeah, but everybody came close to getting whacked in that book. I freaked when I thought the person JKR had killed off was Ron; he's my favourite, and when that brain thing was strangling him--gah! I couldn't take it!!

And yes, Ron and Hermione definitely have a thing for each other. If any of you aren't convinced of this, you need to re-read book 4. Now. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Yeh, when I read the bit when Snape asked about who's dog it was that was chasing Harry, it did leave me wondering whether Snape was seeing a parallel between his childhood and Harry's, perhaps leaving room for future resolution, then Harry went all huffy. Damn him.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Okay, is it Gil as in Gilligan or Gil is in Gillian??? Not knowing how to pronounce your name is quite irritating.
Gil Hamilton wrote:Not only are they both Gryffondor Quiddich players, they are both Seekers, which is a big thing.
I have to disagree there. Just because someone plays Quidditch doesn't make for a relationship, Ginny isn't the only Gryffindor Quidditch player. And her position on the team will be ending as soon as the next semester starts.

Also, I really didn't notice Harry having a huge interest in the game in the last book. Though Ron was very excited about it, Harry really wasn't. Had he sat down with Ginny and talked about the game, had he tried to tutor her, then maybe I would be onboard with that. But he really had nothing to do with her.
Harry is a good family friend.
Which actually works against the situation, in a manner similar to the 'I want to date your little sister' scenario. Once you become a family friend, you become something of a quasi-family member, and so it becomes very strange to date a member of that family.
Harry and Ginny shared the experience in the Chamber of Secrets where Harry saved her life, huge thing there.
Also don't forget that both of them have been possessed by Lord Voldemort.

Now here is where I am going to get you with that. This sort of thing is something that you never ever want to have to think about. Unlike the loss of a mother (which Luna and Harry share), that kind of experience has no happy memories with it. Facing and being possessed by Lord Voldemort is a bad bad thing, you don't want to ever be reminded of it.

It reminds me of a situation where parents lose a child, the marriage usually ends in divorce because all the parents can see in the other is the child they lost. Parents are never supposed to have to bury their children, it is just too much for them. The divorce so they can go about their lives without that constant reminder of pain.

And so I think that whenever these two see each other, those bad memories will always be near the surface, poisoning their feelings.
They've been friends for a while. Et cetera
Their relationship...I wouldn't call it friends. They generally don't hang out together, they don't do things together, they don't have classes together...etc.

In book 5, I am pretty sure that Harry spent a lot more time with Luna than he did with Ginny. I could be wrong, but I didn't see a lot of her.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Considering how stupid Harry (And Ron) are with girls... :lol:

There were times in that book where I was thinking "Christ Harry, Ron, you're fucking morons...MORONS!"
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I thought this thread was about who was goint to die in Book 6, not who was going to hook up with who.

Anyway, I don't know who will die in Book 6, I just hope some people start dying real quick otherwise, Voldy looses any and all credibility.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Crown wrote:I thought this thread was about who was goint to die in Book 6, not who was going to hook up with who.

Anyway, I don't know who will die in Book 6, I just hope some people start dying real quick otherwise, Voldy looses any and all credibility.
[Draco Malfoy] I hope it's a weasely! [/Draco Malfoy]
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I have been saying it for a long time now, there are far too many of them around to be healthy!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Steven Snyder wrote:Okay, is it Gil as in Gilligan or Gil is in Gillian??? Not knowing how to pronounce your name is quite irritating.
Actually, the former, Gil in this case is actually short of Gilgamesh.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Hoo boy, I am arguing about "shipping" of HP characters. I may as well brand
myself with a lightning bolt. :oops:

Steven, I agree with you that a relationship between Harry and Ginny would be
very awkward in real life; however, Harry Potter is a fictional character, and
JK Rowling has left a large number of clues in the subtext of Book 5 that
Ginny Weasley is his future love interest.

First, Ginny's role is expanded from a shy nonentity in Book 4 to a
wonder girl who is suddenly good at Quidditch, has a never-before-mentioned
boyfriend and whose name pops up in conversation for no reason at all. Ginny
also shows a new ability to relate to Harry, better than Ron, Hermione, or
even Hagrid. Ginny is the one who snaps Harry out of his self-pity around
Christmas, and later in the year she comes to him in the library and inspires
him to contact Sirius about his worries. The library scene is littered with
romantic subtext, especially the sudden way it ends.

Most significant, though, is the way Ginny is contrasted positively with
Cho Chang. Ginny's relationship with Michael Corner is first mentioned by
Hermione in conjunction with Harry and Cho. "And speaking of Ginny and
Michael, what's going on with you and Cho?" Later, Cho proposes the name
Defense Alliance for the DA, but Ginny immediately comes up with a more clever
name. Ginny also directly competes against Cho in Quidditch, catching the
Snitch from right under Cho's nose in a display of blatant symbolism. Finally,
at the end of the book Harry and Ginny's ex-es hook up. This is a classic
literary device to show that two people are well-suited for each other. I
actually thought Rowling was a bit too unsubtle with the last clue.

And vaguely on topic, yeah, Voldemort is getting sadder every book. He'd better either beat Dumbledore in a rematch, or start playing against the Washington Generals.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

If you're looking for younger students for Harry to get involved with, then you should look at Luna Lovegood before Ginny. Rowling went way out of her way to set those two up for the future by altering the structure of the novel to develop Luna.

And yes, Hermione and Ron have a thing for each other.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Steven Snyder wrote:I have to disagree there. Just because someone plays Quidditch doesn't make for a relationship, Ginny isn't the only Gryffindor Quidditch player. And her position on the team will be ending as soon as the next semester starts.

Also, I really didn't notice Harry having a huge interest in the game in the last book. Though Ron was very excited about it, Harry really wasn't. Had he sat down with Ginny and talked about the game, had he tried to tutor her, then maybe I would be onboard with that. But he really had nothing to do with her.
Doubtful, she'll probably become the alternate seeker for the team. But the point is that it's a very large point of common interest, considering how much stress they put on Quidditch at Hogwarts.

What do you mean he didn't have a huge interest in the game? Of course he did, but there was that little matter of being banned from the team that prevented him from actually doing anything with it, combined with the OWLs and the DA, which sort of sucked his attention. It's not like he could have tutored her or helped her with her game... his broom was confiscated and he wasn't allowed to work with the team.
Which actually works against the situation, in a manner similar to the 'I want to date your little sister' scenario. Once you become a family friend, you become something of a quasi-family member, and so it becomes very strange to date a member of that family.
That really depends on the age, but I'd grant you it would be a littel awkward at 16.
Also don't forget that both of them have been possessed by Lord Voldemort.

Now here is where I am going to get you with that. This sort of thing is something that you never ever want to have to think about. Unlike the loss of a mother (which Luna and Harry share), that kind of experience has no happy memories with it. Facing and being possessed by Lord Voldemort is a bad bad thing, you don't want to ever be reminded of it.

It reminds me of a situation where parents lose a child, the marriage usually ends in divorce because all the parents can see in the other is the child they lost. Parents are never supposed to have to bury their children, it is just too much for them. The divorce so they can go about their lives without that constant reminder of pain.

And so I think that whenever these two see each other, those bad memories will always be near the surface, poisoning their feelings.
Actually, you are dead wrong and I find it odd that you'd call me on this one, which was the clearest bond between them. From a psychological standpoint, sharing terrible or trying experiences by and large forms really tight bonds between people, not drive them apart. Humans are social animals, after all, and work together best under common threat and come out of it with the same understand of what it was like, which is a very powerful thing. Ginny and Harry both surviving the Chamber of Secrets and both being sort of possessed by Voldemort would be a strong connecting bond. Hell, Ginny even points this out in the fifth book, when she tells him that she's suprised that Harry doesn't want to talk to her about his issues, because she's the only one that can really understand him. That is straight up human psychology there.
Their relationship...I wouldn't call it friends. They generally don't hang out together, they don't do things together, they don't have classes together...etc.

In book 5, I am pretty sure that Harry spent a lot more time with Luna than he did with Ginny. I could be wrong, but I didn't see a lot of her.
More time with Loony? Luna is in the same year as Ginny. She didn't hang out with Harry at all except in the DA where Ginny was clearly more involved, not to mention being around him all the time at the Order headquarters.

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
El Moose Monstero

I'm with Captain_Cyran on this one actually, I reckon that with the events of Book 5, Harry would be less than willing to allow anyone to get to close to him, partly due to the last revelation, and possibily due to him stewing over summer over the high body count from the melee, we may even see him attempting to isolate himself from everyone with some notion of protecting them - it's a bit cliched, but then quite a lot of it conforms to one cliche or another.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I would agree that he may not have a love interest per se because of all the things that have happened, but on the other hand, I think that that is precisely why he's going to get a love interest. Right now, he's extremely vulnerable over all that has happened and is rejecting the world, but if some girl that would come along who understands exactly where he is coming from and all, he could well form a very close relationship with her indeed.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Personally i think one of the weasly twins should die but only one so the other one can go all vader and crucio the death eater who did it to death.
As to Harry's love life, well Luna if anyone but he probs be to antisocial having delsions of protect potential friends by not letting them closed to him.
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

Crown wrote:I have been saying it for a long time now, there are far too many of them around to be healthy!
[Draco Malfoy] If it breeds like a cockroach, dresses in hand-me-downs, and has a father that is a disgrace to wizards everywhere, it has to be weasley [/Draco Malfoy]

Wow that feels good...
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

The Dursleys will get it in a cross fire while Voldy is going after Harry. Then Harry will have no home to go back to in the summer.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
El Moose Monstero

Steven Snyder wrote:
Crown wrote:I have been saying it for a long time now, there are far too many of them around to be healthy!
[Draco Malfoy] If it breeds like a cockroach, dresses in hand-me-downs, and has a father that is a disgrace to wizards everywhere, it has to be weasley [/Draco Malfoy]

Wow that feels good...
I dont agree with all the casting in the movie versions, my major beef is with the Weasley family, they arent quite how I pictured them, but Lucius Malfoy is sodding perfect! I think it's the lovely and sinister long white/blonde hair and the low whispering, but he currently ranks fairly high along my all time favourite bad guy list, falling short of Donald Pleasance as Blofeld.

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The_Lumberjack wrote:I dont agree with all the casting in the movie versions, my major beef is with the Weasley family, they arent quite how I pictured them, but Lucius Malfoy is sodding perfect! I think it's the lovely and sinister long white/blonde hair and the low whispering, but he currently ranks fairly high along my all time favourite bad guy list, falling short of Donald Pleasance as Blofeld.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think the Weaselys were cast really well, though I'll agree that Lucius Malfoy was perfect.

This is slightly off topic, but I noticed something in the second movie. In the next to last scene where Lucius inadvertantly frees Dobby, they made a nod to a future book. What happened was Lucius charged Harry with his wand and of course Dobby clobbers him. But before Dobby does, Lucius is uttering "Avada..." but is cut off by the elf-blast. Whoops, now that was a huge overreaction and in front of Dumbledores office no less. :)

El Moose Monstero

Yeh, I loved that, thought it was a great touch, not really belonging there, but quite fun nonetheless. I always pictured Mr Weasley as someone a bit older than the chap who was playing him, eccentric, but more subtle about it.

Each to their own though :D, at first I didnt think Richard Harris was the right choice for Dumbledore, but when I saw him in the second one, I changed my mind, I hope the new bloke can do as good a job.

Anyway, I'm off to find a nice black cloak and practice my sinister upper class english accent. :mrgreen:

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

The_Lumberjack wrote:I'm with Captain_Cyran on this one actually, I reckon that with the events of Book 5, Harry would be less than willing to allow anyone to get to close to him, partly due to the last revelation, and possibily due to him stewing over summer over the high body count from the melee, we may even see him attempting to isolate himself from everyone with some notion of protecting them - it's a bit cliched, but then quite a lot of it conforms to one cliche or another.
If Cho Chang can have a relationship with Harry the YEAR AFTER her former boyfriend bit the big one, then Harry can have a relationship after the comparatively inconsequential things that happened to him in Year 5.

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Well, I'm a kind of fond of Richard Harris' work, so of course, I loved him as Dumbledore. He had the Elderly Classic British Actor mojo going on, which means he could convey messages entirely with his eyebrows. :)