T-800 vrs Wolverine (Comic version)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

thecreech wrote:
Yogi wrote:Adamentium is supremely tough. You could leave a bar of Adimentium at Ground Zero of a muclear bomb, and after the explosion, the Adimentium would remain untouched. It is near impossible to destroy with physical force (possibly cosmic beings could do it), and only things that mess with it on a molecular level can affect it.
The only time i have see wolverine claws get jacked was when thanos turned them into rubber (along with wolverine). But he had the infinity gauntlet at the time.
That and Magneto.

Off to Fantasy...the former CAM :P
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

thecreech wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
The only time i have see wolverine claws get jacked was when thanos turned them into rubber (along with wolverine). But he had the infinity gauntlet at the time.
That and Magneto.

Ah yes... thanks for pointing that out
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

Ghost Rider wrote:
That and Magneto.

Off to Fantasy...the former CAM :P[/quote]

Ah yes... thanks for pointing that out[/quote]
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Ghost Rider wrote:
thecreech wrote:The only time i have see wolverine claws get jacked was when thanos turned them into rubber (along with wolverine). But he had the infinity gauntlet at the time.
That and Magneto.

Ouch, I remember that comic...in fact it's in my house somewhere.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

NecronLord wrote:
Captain_Cyran wrote: Well, it's not a falacy because it's TRUE never in the comics to the best of my knowledge has Wolverine EVER run into a metal that he could not cut.
Does this preclude one existing?
And I am not impressed by a Terminator, anyone remember T:2 when he got stabbed by a blunt steel poll by the T-1000? Oh yeah, that's real impressive. :roll:
Yes, he was stabbed by a T-1000 in a vunerable section, which damaged him temporarily,

"I'm not that impressed by Wolverine, becuase if a T-1000 spiked him in the eye, he'd die.":roll:
Wolverine's eyes are at least bulletproof, because a shotgun to the face left only his adamantium skull but the eyes were still in the sockets, unharmed :D
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

NecronLord wrote: "I'm not that impressed by Wolverine, becuase if a T-1000 spiked him in the eye, he'd die.":roll:
Actually, Wolverine's healing factor is equal to/or greater then Sabertooth's and Wolverine put a claw though Creed's brain, and it didn't kill him.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Adamantium is a class X1 material in Marvel, which basically means it is far and away above any material created by our science. Even solar neutronium (condensed in a star) isn't as tough, albeit far denser.

However, even taking out his claws, Wolverine would not die from the Terminator. Even if the T-101 tore out his guts, Wolverine would only look dead for a short time, giving him ample time to escape (I'm assuming neither one knows that the other can do. And Terminators have never shown expert melee combat skills. Competant, but all they've really got is strength. However, its all pointless, becauase the Termintor would never, ever catch Wolvie. The man is very good at stealth and camoflauge, and he can smell the Termintor coming a mile off. So the batle is always on Wolverine's terms, which mean the T-101 will be falling into traps.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Last I checked, lightsabers could cut through any solid object. Energy weapons (laser bolts, shields like in TPM) can resist them, but that's an entirely different matter all together.

More on-topic, Wolvie can cut through just about anything; the exceptions being things like super-ultra-rare alloys or magic and crap. T-800 doesn't fit into any of those categories though. Therefore, T-800 goes down hard.
only thing that lightsabers cant cut is cortissi ore althought it can cut it really it justs it shuts down after a second cos it fries some circiut in the saber.
If u built a saber with out that type of circuit it would have no prob with cortisis ore.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Crazedwraith wrote: only thing that lightsabers cant cut is cortissi ore althought it can cut it really it justs it shuts down after a second cos it fries some circiut in the saber.
If u built a saber with out that type of circuit it would have no prob with cortisis ore.
Crazedwraith, are you high or is there a simpler explanation for your insistence on producing what looks like complete gibberish?
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Last I checked, lightsabers could cut through any solid object. Energy weapons (laser bolts, shields like in TPM) can resist them, but that's an entirely different matter all together.
As an FYI there are numerous things in the canon, The edge of the pit in TPM especially, the armour of Dooku's starship, the floor of the landing area in AotC, Vader's armour in ESB, and twice on the handrails in the Emperor's throne room (before a bserek swing goes through one)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eleas wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote: only thing that lightsabers cant cut is cortissi ore althought it can cut it really it justs it shuts down after a second cos it fries some circiut in the saber.
Crazedwraith, are you high or is there a simpler explanation for your insistence on producing what looks like complete gibberish?
nope not high, just lacking typing skills. what i meat to say was that:
1) lightsabers can cut through anythink
2) Lightsabers are pretty much inevective against cortsis ore as it overloads the saber causing it to shut down.
3) Cortisis ore is cut by lightsabers but they can only go through a couple centimeters before being shut down.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Crazedwraith wrote: nope not high, just lacking typing skills. what i meat to say was that:
2) Lightsabers are pretty much inevective against cortsis ore as it overloads the saber causing it to shut down.
3) Cortisis ore is cut by lightsabers but they can only go through a couple centimeters before being shut down.
Ok, sorry I was a bit harsh.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Crazedwraith wrote: 1) lightsabers can cut through anythink
Then how can two lightsaber blades parry each other?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eleas wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote: nope not high, just lacking typing skills. what i meat to say was that:
Ok, sorry I was a bit harsh.
no problem
Crazedwraith wrote:

Then how can two lightsaber blades parry each other?
Um i mean any matter not other energy. Besides after reading Necronlord's Post thats not canoniclly true any way :(
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

NecronLord wrote:
As an FYI there are numerous things in the canon, The edge of the pit in TPM especially, the armour of Dooku's starship, the floor of the landing area in AotC, Vader's armour in ESB, and twice on the handrails in the Emperor's throne room (before a bserek swing goes through one)
Wouldn't all these examples be expalined by a simple addition to the lightsaber ability:

"A lightsaber can cut through anything except another lightsaber blade provided enough force is applied."
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stravo wrote: Wouldn't all these examples be expalined by a simple addition to the lightsaber ability:

"A lightsaber can cut through anything except another lightsaber blade provided enough force is applied."
Not really. Watch Darth Maul. He's REALLY going for it. And the bit where Dooku hits the ship.

Like it or not, the Lightsaber can only use as energy as the output of the power cell. How the fuck can it cut though armour grade materials that blasters and even small turbolasers cannot?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Most of the things lightsabers cut aren't armored anyway. And I'm not talking about personal armor - which HAS to be light. Of course we have to compare the relative strengths of in-universe non-armored materials, and extra-universe armored materials... what they call cheap sheet metal could be 10x stronger than hyperalloy.

Hm, isn't this thread about something totally unrelated to lightsabers, anyway? ;)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Slartibartfast wrote:Most of the things lightsabers cut aren't armored anyway. And I'm not talking about personal armor - which HAS to be light. Of course we have to compare the relative strengths of in-universe non-armored materials, and extra-universe armored materials... what they call cheap sheet metal could be 10x stronger than hyperalloy.

Hm, isn't this thread about something totally unrelated to lightsabers, anyway? ;)
Indeed it is but sumone used the example of lightsaber describing wolvies admantium claws. Theese example was critised and so on...
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Post by The Drunkard Kid »

IIRC, there are a few things that can affect and even outright destroy true adamantium without resorting to molecular control or reality warping, but they are mostly rare, semi-cosmic, outright cosmic, or one-shot gimmicks.

There's enchanted Uru (Thor smashed a cube of true adamantium with his full strength and caused a tiny dent in it without damaging Mjolnir. OTOH, he can carve regular, unenchanted Uru with his fingers, so the enchantment must be what really enhances it's durability; AAnd then there's the Destroyer Armor, which tends to pimp-slap Thor every time they meet, but what do you expect when dealing with Asgard's super-weapon?), Silver Surfer's skin (officially, it's supposed to be as strong or stronger than adamantium, but I don't know how many of the writers actually depict it as such), and IIRC, there was a material shown in Guardians of the Galaxy which tore through adamantium with ease, but that takes place in the somewhat distant future from what I remember.
"What's that smear on the wall, Mommy?"
"That used to be Spider-Man, honey."
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Wow, he musta been real stupid, huh?"
"Yes honey, he was."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Drunkard Kid wrote: There's enchanted Uru (Thor smashed a cube of true adamantium with his full strength and caused a tiny dent in it without damaging Mjolnir. OTOH, he can carve regular, unenchanted Uru with his fingers, so the enchantment must be what really enhances it's durability; AAnd then there's the Destroyer Armor, which tends to pimp-slap Thor every time they meet, but what do you expect when dealing with Asgard's super-weapon?), Silver Surfer's skin (officially, it's supposed to be as strong or stronger than adamantium, but I don't know how many of the writers actually depict it as such), and IIRC, there was a material shown in Guardians of the Galaxy which tore through adamantium with ease, but that takes place in the somewhat distant future from what I remember.
Funny, but in the letters page for the GotG it was pointed out that the material that was said to be able to tear through adamantium with ease (didn't it tear Vance Astro's adamantium suit?)was named after Drago (IIRC) one of the future versions of Thor. So, I wonder what that stuff was? ;-) :D

I think unenchanted uru might be tougher than adamantium but I don't know for sure. Supposedly adamantine, the stuff Hercules' mace is made out of, is supposed to be a little tougher than uru.

I think the Destroyer's "skin" is made of uru. Maybe the uru Thor was carving with his fingers wasn't just unenchanted but unprocesses /untempered, which may be the same thing as far as Asgardian metals go? :?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

Tsyroc wrote:
The Drunkard Kid wrote: There's enchanted Uru (Thor smashed a cube of true adamantium with his full strength and caused a tiny dent in it without damaging Mjolnir. OTOH, he can carve regular, unenchanted Uru with his fingers, so the enchantment must be what really enhances it's durability; AAnd then there's the Destroyer Armor, which tends to pimp-slap Thor every time they meet, but what do you expect when dealing with Asgard's super-weapon?), Silver Surfer's skin (officially, it's supposed to be as strong or stronger than adamantium, but I don't know how many of the writers actually depict it as such), and IIRC, there was a material shown in Guardians of the Galaxy which tore through adamantium with ease, but that takes place in the somewhat distant future from what I remember.
Funny, but in the letters page for the GotG it was pointed out that the material that was said to be able to tear through adamantium with ease (didn't it tear Vance Astro's adamantium suit?)was named after Drago (IIRC) one of the future versions of Thor. So, I wonder what that stuff was? ;-) :D

I think unenchanted uru might be tougher than adamantium but I don't know for sure. Supposedly adamantine, the stuff Hercules' mace is made out of, is supposed to be a little tougher than uru.

I think the Destroyer's "skin" is made of uru. Maybe the uru Thor was carving with his fingers wasn't just unenchanted but unprocesses /untempered, which may be the same thing as far as Asgardian metals go? :?
Unenchanted uru isn't as tough as adamantium: Storm destroyed a hammer made of uru with her lightning bolts. Mjolnir has a specific enchantment on it, to make it nigh-indestructible (and even then it has been destroyed/damaged several times.)
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Post by The Drunkard Kid »

Waitasec, I think I made a mistake. Isn't the Destroyer made out of Rhinegold, not Uru? In any case, it's disintergrator beam tends to cut through Mjolnir like a lightsaber through melted butter, so I'd give him better than even odds of razing Wolverine's skeleton as well, though that might count as molecular control instead of direct force...
"What's that smear on the wall, Mommy?"
"That used to be Spider-Man, honey."
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Wow, he musta been real stupid, huh?"
"Yes honey, he was."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Dizzy D wrote: Unenchanted uru isn't as tough as adamantium: Storm destroyed a hammer made of uru with her lightning bolts. Mjolnir has a specific enchantment on it, to make it nigh-indestructible (and even then it has been destroyed/damaged several times.)
The times that Mjolnir has been damaged that I recall there was an awful lot of force involved. The main one when Thor wrapped it in his belt of strength and channeled all of his power into it to attack a Celestial. It shattered.

The Molecule man did take it appart once, and he did sort of comment about the energy binding the molecules so the enchantment may be the main thing that puts it on par or over adamantium. In particular it may be an enchantment by Odin since Loki is the one who enchanted Storm's hammer (which, I believe she destroyed using her Asgardian god powers and not just her own mutant powers).

I'd like to know if uru is ever made into anything and not enchanted? I seem to recall that there was an Asgardian who had an uru sword, was it better than a sword made of Asgardian steel? The reason I'm asking is because all uru may be enchanted during forging to a certain extent so raw uru would compare better to unprocessed, untempered metals, or adamantium while it's still two separate resins.

Well, that's far enough off topic for me :D

Anyway, as long as Wolverine has his adamantium he's going to be able to defeat the T-800. If he's only sporting the bone claws and a ramped up healing factor I'd still think he'd eventually lose unless he could get ahold of something that could actually damage the T-800.

As far as I know other the only times when any of Wolverine's adamantium was just out and out broken it was by beings much more powerful than a T-800. Sym broke one of the claws off of Wolverine's skeleton. The other time was in the GotG future where one of Wolverine's claws was clearly broken, supposedly by Gladiator of the Shiar.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

Tsyroc wrote: The times that Mjolnir has been damaged that I recall there was an awful lot of force involved. The main one when Thor wrapped it in his belt of strength and channeled all of his power into it to attack a Celestial. It shattered.

The Molecule man did take it appart once, and he did sort of comment about the energy binding the molecules so the enchantment may be the main thing that puts it on par or over adamantium. In particular it may be an enchantment by Odin since Loki is the one who enchanted Storm's hammer (which, I believe she destroyed using her Asgardian god powers and not just her own mutant powers).
It was also cut into two by Perek of the Dark Gods. You are right though that any destruction has been few and far between.
I'd like to know if uru is ever made into anything and not enchanted? I seem to recall that there was an Asgardian who had an uru sword, was it better than a sword made of Asgardian steel? The reason I'm asking is because all uru may be enchanted during forging to a certain extent so raw uru would compare better to unprocessed, untempered metals, or adamantium while it's still two separate resins.
Not that I can remember, the main property of Uru is that it retains enchantments cast on it indefinitely and it seems to be pretty rare, so making a weapon out of it and then *not* enchanting it would be a waste.
Anyway, as long as Wolverine has his adamantium he's going to be able to defeat the T-800. If he's only sporting the bone claws and a ramped up healing factor I'd still think he'd eventually lose unless he could get ahold of something that could actually damage the T-800.
My thoughts exactly
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Drunkard Kid wrote:Waitasec, I think I made a mistake. Isn't the Destroyer made out of Rhinegold, not Uru? In any case, it's disintergrator beam tends to cut through Mjolnir like a lightsaber through melted butter, so I'd give him better than even odds of razing Wolverine's skeleton as well, though that might count as molecular control instead of direct force...
The Destroyer Unfortnately the website I've linked to looks like it is using the reference for the Destroyer from The Handbook to the Marvel Universe volume 1 or 2

Voume III also says that the Destroyer is made of an unkown material. The same entry does say that the Odinsword is made of Rhinegold and enchanted.

Note: The Destroyer is supposed to be even more powerful in it's giant form when inhabitted by Odin and the gods of Asgard. The Celestials melted it into slag anyway.

The Destroyer is said to have both the power to transmutate matter and disintegrate nearly anything (there's more but that's all that really ties in with the stuff on adamantium.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.