1 10th level Wizard vs Hogwarts

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

A inderect anware to the question:
Harry Potter wizards are alot more flexable than D&D Wizards. A D&D mage mush chose what spells he can cast for the day but HP Wizards can decide at the moment what spell they need to cast. Their weakness is that they need a focus (Wand) for their magic.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

OK. Explain to me again, WHY does he always get quick draw? He can ready spell the first one, and use Haste to improve his initiative, but how does he out-draw multiple wizards at the same time?

Note that I already assume he can out-draw 3/4 of the wizards he fights.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

If they must use an entrance...it is called a redied action with the wands...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Why are so many wizards trying to fry each other asses with lightning bolts? Is a mage's ass some sort of special karmic weak point or something? Maybe all the ley lines create a mystical nexus in magical people's butts?
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Yeah, as I said he can ready the first attack. However, he can't redy every single spell he has with mages pouring out of the building after him. It takes time to ready a spell.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

WANDS! They are based on command words... he says "hesteth" and the bolt goes off.....
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

If you may have noticed, the Potterverse wizards also operate in the "Point Wand and Say Word" method. Also, there is no real way to know how long a command word is in the D&D-verse.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

A single word... made up by the creator... A Potterverse wizard has an incantation to perform...

Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

The better Potterverse wizards don't even need to say the words to cast the spell. A quick wand motion is all that is necessary. Dumbledore and Voldemort don't pronounce a single spell word in their book 5 duel; they use their voices to trash talk.

The Potterverse wizards have weaker magic than the higher level AD&D spells, but they have other advantages. Potterverse spells tend to focus on specific effects and are almost never area-effect. However, a single wizard with a wand can cast as many different spells (that he knows) as he wants. There is no memorization requirement. There is no finite personal mana. Unless the 10th level wizard can obliterate Hogwarts before the faculty can react, he will be overwhelmed by dozens of stunning spells and other, nastier hexes.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

"Stupify" (sleep) is one word, as is "Accio" (pull item towards user), "Diffindo" (cuts something open), "Expelliarmus" (blast of force), "Incendo" (creates fire), "Obliviate" (makes person forget), "Relashio" (fire spell), "Rictusempra" (laughing spell), and "Tarantallegra" (dancing spell). Plus, there is a line of fire spell that doesn't even need words, and Dumbledore can simply point and fire. Even if we ignore those two, the above spell can already make the Mage's life very unplesant.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Eframepilot wrote:The better Potterverse wizards don't even need to say the words to cast the spell. A quick wand motion is all that is necessary. Dumbledore and Voldemort don't pronounce a single spell word in their book 5 duel; they use their voices to trash talk.

The Potterverse wizards have weaker magic than the higher level AD&D spells, but they have other advantages. Potterverse spells tend to focus on specific effects and are almost never area-effect. However, a single wizard with a wand can cast as many different spells (that he knows) as he wants. There is no memorization requirement. There is no finite personal mana. Unless the 10th level wizard can obliterate Hogwarts before the faculty can react, he will be overwhelmed by dozens of stunning spells and other, nastier hexes.
I have already taken care of the stunning spells... what else have they got?

I see the small list at the bottom...

*casts tashas hideous laughter*

Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: I have already taken care of the stunning spells... what else have they got?
How exactly will your mage take care of the stunning spells? They take the forms of red jets of sparks; they can be blocked by a magical shield, physical objects or a specific wand motion. They can also be dodged. I don't know exactly how dispel magic works, so it's possible that stunners could be dispelled before they make contact. However, your mage would be overwhelmed by the sheer number of stunning spells coming at him, and once one hits, it's over - he's unconscious.

Some other popular curses: the Impediment Hex. Stops living creatures motionless, though in book 5 it seemed to just knock wizards off their feet hard. The Imperius Curse: total mind control, though it can be fought by willpower. The Cruciatus Curse: Fires the maximum possible number of pain neurons without causing the subject to pass out. Long-term application leads to insanity.

Dumbledore and Voldemort pulled off some more impressive stuff: statue animation (subject to the caster's will but not requiring constant direction), water animation, instant conjuring of a silver shield, a leash of fire (by D) that was transfigured into a giant snake (by V) and then dissipated (by D), and finally tactical teleportation a la Nightcrawler (though not that rapid).

And the Potterverse wizards won't run out of spells.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

How exactly will your mage take care of the stunning spells? They take the forms of red jets of sparks; they can be blocked by a magical shield, physical objects or a specific wand motion. They can also be dodged. I don't know exactly how dispel magic works, so it's possible that stunners could be dispelled before they make contact. However, your mage would be overwhelmed by the sheer number of stunning spells coming at him, and once one hits, it's over - he's unconscious.

Some other popular curses: the Impediment Hex. Stops living creatures motionless, though in book 5 it seemed to just knock wizards off their feet hard. The Imperius Curse: total mind control, though it can be fought by willpower. The Cruciatus Curse: Fires the maximum possible number of pain neurons without causing the subject to pass out. Long-term application leads to insanity.
These are taken care of by the Freedom of Movement scrolls...

And the mind control stuff... D7D wizards are natually resistant to such things.

Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Will the Freedom of Movement protect against unconsciousness? An unconscious target has no actual restrictions on motion; he is involuntarily choosing not to move. One could argue that true Freedom of Movement would prevent any injury, up to an including death, that would hinder motion, but this seems way too liberal. I would expect the Body Bind, Impediment Hex, Dumdledore's water-animation trick and the conjuring ropes spell to be rendered ineffective, but not stunning, the Cruciatus Curse or any other curse that affects the physical condition of the target.

There are also many more exotic spells available: Transfiguration into some kind of harmless, voiceless animal or inanimate object, Silencing (can't talk, no spells), Banishing (the opposite of Summoning) headfirst into a hard object, and even Vanishing. A Vanished person will completely disappear, then reappear several days later in some random nearby location in a very disoriented state.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Eframepilot wrote:The better Potterverse wizards don't even need to say the words to cast the spell. A quick wand motion is all that is necessary. Dumbledore and Voldemort don't pronounce a single spell word in their book 5 duel; they use their voices to trash talk.

you mistake high level ability as common, in book 5 that tester says he saw Dumbledore do spells no one has done before.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Eframepilot wrote:Will the Freedom of Movement protect against unconsciousness? An unconscious target has no actual restrictions on motion; he is involuntarily choosing not to move. One could argue that true Freedom of Movement would prevent any injury, up to an including death, that would hinder motion, but this seems way too liberal. I would expect the Body Bind, Impediment Hex, Dumdledore's water-animation trick and the conjuring ropes spell to be rendered ineffective, but not stunning, the Cruciatus Curse or any other curse that affects the physical condition of the target.

There are also many more exotic spells available: Transfiguration into some kind of harmless, voiceless animal or inanimate object, Silencing (can't talk, no spells), Banishing (the opposite of Summoning) headfirst into a hard object, and even Vanishing. A Vanished person will completely disappear, then reappear several days later in some random nearby location in a very disoriented state.
Unconciousness... It is called a will save.... One that such a mage WILL make....

The polymorhing... well that is what a silent, stilled dispel magic is for.

He is banished...I dont think that a student has that ability, same with vanishing... only the teachers would be that strong, and they will be delt with first.

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Oh and there is a 4th level spell called dmensional anchor... no moving him against his will through summoning or vanishing.

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Oh and there is a 4th level spell called dmensional anchor... no moving him against his will through summoning or vanishing.
vanishing and summoning isnt a dimensonal spell, everything is kept in its proper dimension. now apparating, thats dimensonal.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Unfortunatly, while Will saves are applicable to some things in the Potter-verse (Imperious Curse), the stunning spell doesn't seem to be one of them. In fact, judging by what they did to McGongel and Hagrid, they seem to require fortitude saves instead.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

10th level wizard takes it if he's intelligent

First, he needs to scout out, or have Hogwarts scouted.
If they have no anti-teleportation/extra-dimensional defensive measures, then they are screwed. Royally screwed.

First Action (in D&D terms)
Teleports into Dumbledorf's office while he is there (5th level spell)

Dumbledorf is of course surpised (based on avialable info)
Prior to teleport

Surprise Round:
Gedlee's Electric Loop 5d6 lightning, plus dumbledorf might be stunned (2nd level, Magic of Faerun)
Tirumael's Energy Spheres (4th level, Magic of Faerun) will absorb incoming Fire, Lightning, Sonic, Acid and Cold spell attacks
Black Light (Magic of Fareun, 3rd level) Wizard can see, Dumbledorf can't

Fire Orb (4th level, Tome and Blood) 10d6 damage, possible Dazed from failed Fort Save)

Electric Orb (4th level, Tome and Blood) 10d6 points of damage, possibly magnetised and all the metal in the room flies into Dumble Dorf from failed
Fort Save)

Sonic Orb (4th level, Tome and Blood) 10d6 points of damage

Fireball (3rd level)
Lightning Bolt (3rd level)
Gedlee's Electric Loop until out of 2nd level spells

At that point, he casts Rope Trick (if Dumbledorf is dead) and climbs into it and pulls the rope up.

Note, if he knows Simbul's Spell Matrix (5th level, Magic of Faerun) and does preparing, he can dump up to 4 3rd level spells (4 Fireballs, 4 lightning bolts) with a word each round, plus other spells. So on the surprise round, he could dump out 4 fireballs and cast the electic loop, then on round 2 he could dump out 4 lightning bolts (or if he has energy subsistution feat, acid fireballs, etc), etc.

Heck, with 8 months work, he could have enough spell matrix's to rip apart all of Hogwarts without much effort.

Ah, the Realms, gotta love it
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Solauren wrote:10th level wizard takes it if he's intelligent

First, he needs to scout out, or have Hogwarts scouted.
If they have no anti-teleportation/extra-dimensional defensive measures, then they are screwed. Royally screwed.

First Action (in D&D terms)
Teleports into Dumbledorf's office while he is there (5th level spell)

Dumbledorf is of course surpised (based on avialable info)
Prior to teleport

Surprise Round:
Gedlee's Electric Loop 5d6 lightning, plus dumbledorf might be stunned (2nd level, Magic of Faerun)
Tirumael's Energy Spheres (4th level, Magic of Faerun) will absorb incoming Fire, Lightning, Sonic, Acid and Cold spell attacks
Black Light (Magic of Fareun, 3rd level) Wizard can see, Dumbledorf can't

Fire Orb (4th level, Tome and Blood) 10d6 damage, possible Dazed from failed Fort Save)

Electric Orb (4th level, Tome and Blood) 10d6 points of damage, possibly magnetised and all the metal in the room flies into Dumble Dorf from failed
Fort Save)

Sonic Orb (4th level, Tome and Blood) 10d6 points of damage

Fireball (3rd level)
Lightning Bolt (3rd level)
Gedlee's Electric Loop until out of 2nd level spells

At that point, he casts Rope Trick (if Dumbledorf is dead) and climbs into it and pulls the rope up.

Note, if he knows Simbul's Spell Matrix (5th level, Magic of Faerun) and does preparing, he can dump up to 4 3rd level spells (4 Fireballs, 4 lightning bolts) with a word each round, plus other spells. So on the surprise round, he could dump out 4 fireballs and cast the electic loop, then on round 2 he could dump out 4 lightning bolts (or if he has energy subsistution feat, acid fireballs, etc), etc.

Heck, with 8 months work, he could have enough spell matrix's to rip apart all of Hogwarts without much effort.

Ah, the Realms, gotta love it

nothing works, since you can't teleport or any extra deminsonal stuff near ior in hogwarts ground.

also how would he get there? the hole area can't be found, spells described include that it can't be found on a map, or that anyone arrives he remebers he has to go back.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Fortunately, Hogwarts does have anti-teleportation wards.
<Hermione>Haven't you ever read Hogwarts, A History? You can't Apparate or Disapparate on the Hogwarts grounds!</Hermione>
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

read my above post
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Yogi wrote:Unfortunatly, while Will saves are applicable to some things in the Potter-verse (Imperious Curse), the stunning spell doesn't seem to be one of them. In fact, judging by what they did to McGongel and Hagrid, they seem to require fortitude saves instead.
How thick is your wall of ignorance? FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT MAKES ONE IMMUNE TO STUNNING, PARALYSIS, PETRIFICATION, AND HOLD EFFECTS!

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

one Cloudkill spell would reak havok amongst students
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!