Manga

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Rubberanvil wrote:
Shadowhawk wrote:
Examples?
The story arcs were rearranged to coincide with the AMG! OVA release.
That's not what I'm talking about. See my post above.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

MORE of Riding Bean/GSC dammit!

ok I admit it, I am a shojen fan, while were at it, some more Midnight Eye (A good monkey king rip off instead of that bastard Akira Toriama's shit), and hopefully some more Golgo13 & Lone Wolf and Cub. (Ok so it's already in the US. but still!)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

You do know that Toriyama started Dragon Ball as being loosely based off of Saiyuki, don't you, Bear?

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Sakigake! Otoko-juku
Slam Dunk
Detective Conan (at least, the earlier work)
Baseball League
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
The Yosemite Bear

I think I have made my hatred of Dragon Ball and Sandland all too clear in the past. The fact that my Girl Friend's son LOVES it and Naroku annoy's me to no end....

At least he's not raiding my GSC, Collection, hasn't even seen my Dominion Tank Police, and has no thoughts about my love for the "Baby Cart Assassin", reminds me to get a pram and a shit load of toyguns, at the next Cosplay.....)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Ranma 1/2
Ah My Goddess
Naruto
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

And now to list ones I'd expect few people here would know...

Tsubasa (CLAMP Crossover, AU semi-sequal to CCS, how can you not like it?)
W-Pinch
Salad Days
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Miyuki-chan in Wonderland
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Dizzy D
Youngling

Post by Dizzy D »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:Hellsing.
I really need to get my hands on some Hellsing...
Dark Horse will release a translation of Hellsing end of this year.

My favourites:
Hellsing
Trigun
Tenchi Muyo
Cowboy Bebop
Sporkzen
Padawan Learner

Post by Sporkzen »

Hellsing
i like the kenshin manga also but i've only read 1 or 2 of them
Sweet jesus on a stick! Hey isnt that what we call easter?
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

City Hunter, it's sequel "Angel Heart" is only ok.
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
psyburn21
Padawan Learner

Post by psyburn21 »

No ideas for a manga? Even if you could get some else to draw it?
Please spam me at psyburn21@msn.com
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

psyburn21 wrote:No ideas for a manga? Even if you could get some else to draw it?
On that, I could draw a manga version of Starfall (look at fanfic forum).

Or better yet, I could start a different story that fits well with a manga style, I think.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote: Detective Conan (at least, the earlier work)
(WARNING: BAD JOKE AHEAD!!)

Detective Conan?? Is he related to the Barbarian Conan??
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

psyburn21 wrote:No ideas for a manga? Even if you could get some else to draw it?
I think a sort of "real life" manga that's more of a romance drama would be interesting (but not with any of that "controversial issues/sex, drugs, etc..." crap that strangles western literature). Something in the same sort of vein as Love Hina, Kare Kano, Ah! Megami-sama, and Chobits but with more establishment in reality.

You know, like all of the shoujo or drama manga that will never be released outside of Japan or Asia because they're "too boring" or "unmarketable"... :P

Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Oh, I do, but my ideas are geared more toward being animated rather than in manga-format. I want to create an anime that just tears down all anime, sort of from an American prospective as well, that is rediculous and full of humor geared toward anime fans that references all the various sub-genre that could be imagined. With everything from really obvious stuff like suddenly a Sailor Moon clone characters suddenly breaking out in battle with Generic Sunglasses Government Thugs with Sub-Machine Guns, in the middle of a resturant, and business going on as usual with people barely responding to it, because that sort of thing happens all the time. Or subtle stuff, like mechas beeping like Mack trucks when they back up. Also, I want the series to be packed with wrongness, like the resturant having a menu, a wine list, and a mickey list (you know, for the daters who are a bit traditional hentai style in their approach).

I've thought of characters too, like a Girl-With-Magic-Powers-and-a-Destiny-She-Isn't-Aware-Off who works in said resturant above, but is really cynical about everything and is a little whorish. She's the type that has phenomenal cosmic power, but has to work in a resturant because the market for people with said powers is currently flooded and she doesn't want to relocate out of state because she's still in college. I drew a picture once of her looking very glum going "I haven't been this screwed since I accidently summoned Naughty Tentacles while making coffee." Of course she has a bubbly airhead bestfriend and a boyfriend who is a pilot for the United Nations Giant Robots With Missile Launchers On Every Available Flat Surface division.

Stuff like that.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Antie
Youngling

Re: Manga

Post by Antie »

psyburn21 wrote:What are some of your favorite manga?
My favorite manga is, of course, the original Japanese Sailor Moon manga. (I do not Tokyopoop.) I like Ms. Takeuchi's style. She draws Hotaru-chan well!
Latitator Latinicophilus apud StarDestroyer.net
The Latin-Loving Lurker at StarDestroyer.net
Governess - The Fanlisting for Tatiana N. Romanova
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

I've read volume one of Ah! My Goddess and I'm reading volume one of Inu Yasha off and on. I want to try and get Blade of the Immortal and Chobits Volume one. Along with Ah! My Goddess volume 2.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Gil Hamilton wrote:" Of course she has a bubbly airhead bestfriend and a boyfriend who is a pilot for the United Nations Giant Robots With Missile Launchers On Every Available Flat Surface division.
That line was the best. :lol:
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
psyburn21
Padawan Learner

Post by psyburn21 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I think a sort of "real life" manga that's more of a romance drama would be interesting (but not with any of that "controversial issues/sex, drugs, etc..." crap that strangles western literature). Something in the same sort of vein as Love Hina, Kare Kano, Ah! Megami-sama, and Chobits but with more establishment in reality.

You know, like all of the shoujo or drama manga that will never be released outside of Japan or Asia because they're "too boring" or "unmarketable"... :P
True. I'm willing to bet that most of the shoujo type manga would sell in America if most companies would give it a chance to work. I wish they'd get a clue. :roll:
psyburn21
Padawan Learner

Post by psyburn21 »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Oh, I do, but my ideas are geared more toward being animated rather than in manga-format. I want to create an anime that just tears down all anime, sort of from an American prospective as well, that is rediculous and full of humor geared toward anime fans that references all the various sub-genre that could be imagined. With everything from really obvious stuff like suddenly a Sailor Moon clone characters suddenly breaking out in battle with Generic Sunglasses Government Thugs with Sub-Machine Guns, in the middle of a resturant, and business going on as usual with people barely responding to it, because that sort of thing happens all the time. Or subtle stuff, like mechas beeping like Mack trucks when they back up. Also, I want the series to be packed with wrongness, like the resturant having a menu, a wine list, and a mickey list (you know, for the daters who are a bit traditional hentai style in their approach).

I've thought of characters too, like a Girl-With-Magic-Powers-and-a-Destiny-She-Isn't-Aware-Off who works in said resturant above, but is really cynical about everything and is a little whorish. She's the type that has phenomenal cosmic power, but has to work in a resturant because the market for people with said powers is currently flooded and she doesn't want to relocate out of state because she's still in college. I drew a picture once of her looking very glum going "I haven't been this screwed since I accidently summoned Naughty Tentacles while making coffee." Of course she has a bubbly airhead bestfriend and a boyfriend who is a pilot for the United Nations Giant Robots With Missile Launchers On Every Available Flat Surface division.

Stuff like that.
LOL. That's good, I like it.
Larz
Rabid Monkey

Post by Larz »

Love Hina
Chobits
Oh! My Goddess

Battle Angel Alita
GTO
Wish (yeah, yeah, bite me, I liked it...)
Cowboy Bebop (not the "rising star" or something like that one, the style just bothers me to no end)
X1999

As for a manga plot, I've always imagined the fanfic (yes, I started a fanfic here... let it die... but I still started one...) that I started working on as a manga. Past that, I do have a SD manga like thingie going on on the sides of some of my chemistry and calc. notes...
"Once again we wanted our heroes to be simple, grizzled everymen with nothing to lose; one foot in the grave, the other wrapped in an American flag and lodged firmly in a terrorist's asshole."

Brotherhood of the Monkey: Nonchalant Disgruntled Monkey
Justice League
The Yosemite Bear

Re: Manga

Antie wrote:
psyburn21 wrote:What are some of your favorite manga?
My favorite manga is, of course, the original Japanese Sailor Moon manga. (I do not Tokyopoop.) I like Ms. Takeuchi's style. She draws Hotaru-chan well!
Minor nitpick isn't she now Ms Togashi, as of 1999?

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Grand Moff Yenchin wrote: Detective Conan (at least, the earlier work)
(WARNING: BAD JOKE AHEAD!!)

Detective Conan?? Is he related to the Barbarian Conan??
:lol:

Well the places they go usually wind up with a lot of dead people... :wink:
Member of Justice League