The Tarrasque

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

That's nothing compared to Tourassque, Evil monsters that run around in Hawaian shirts, cameras, eat everything, and wield deadly credit cars of sharpness.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Tarasque sounds like someone mispronouncing my great-grandparent's tribe, the Tarasca.
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

I've invoked the tarrasque on many an occasion as a DM, usually when I was bored and wanting to start a new campaign. :twisted: I ran into it once as a player. It had been sleeping for eternity and I went to great lengths to find its cave and wake it up. I had teleportation magic at the ready, so I got away, but the whole continent was devestated. Bwahahaha!
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Darth Gojira wrote:Tarasque sounds like someone mispronouncing my great-grandparent's tribe, the Tarasca.
Actually, the Tarrasque is named after a creature from French folklore. However, the French tarrasque only bears a passing resemblance to its D&D counterpart.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Re: The Tarrasque

Post by Thunderfire »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:The thing is - is this overpowered beastie ever used in the game?? And are there any D&D players who actually have succeeded in killing it?? And more importantly, if it is used at all, is it used as anything else than a punishment for rude gamers?
No a mid level Mage with a ring of 3 wishes can easily kill it. A high
level one could magic jar it. A high level mage/psi, Dragon or some
special undeads are far worse.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Darth Gojira wrote:Tarasque sounds like someone mispronouncing my great-grandparent's tribe, the Tarasca.
Actually, the Tarrasque is named after a creature from French folklore. However, the French tarrasque only bears a passing resemblance to its D&D counterpart.
Kinda like the AoM hydra and it's Greek counterpart. No to mention the rest of the mythical beasties, which seem more Harryhausen than Homer.
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Now I gotta post the entire friggin myth....

Tarask: Spiky Turtles Shell, 6 Legs, Lions Head, Dragon's Tail. Breaths gouts of fire. terrorized the French countryside until saint something-or-other converted it to christiantiy. The Saint then brought the beast to town and asked them to forgive the now docile creature. the people weren't willing to do that and stoned the creature to death.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

No a mid level Mage with a ring of 3 wishes can easily kill it. A high
level one could magic jar it. A high level mage/psi, Dragon or some
special undeads are far worse.
Of course, After all You need a Wish to kill him anyways.
The Magic Jar (which would mean very little difference the level of the wizard) is extremelly unlikely, not say you will lost your body if you do not posses the thing.
Now, High Level wizards are needed, and of course Dragons are such things. Unless you mean the high level Lych (which is a wizard in the end) there is very little difference. Of course there is the Nightcrawler, that can physically face the tarrasque, but hardly kill him...
You need high level beings, that is all. And among then, spellcasters.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

lgot wrote: You need high level beings, that is all. And among then, spellcasters.
A black pudding or similar creature is able to kill big T pretty fast.
The tarrasque isn't able to fly and lacks spellcasting abilities. It is
dead meat against flying opponents.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

not at all
The black pudding can not damage more than 40 hps the tarrasque, so It will never kill him.
and yeah, flying is a big deal. It keep you out of tarrasque reach. But you must be able to
hit the tarrasque and he is immune to almost every ranged attack and he regenerates 40 hps/round. So, most of things in the Monster Manual does not even do enough damage to him or can hit him.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

lgot wrote:not at all
The black pudding can not damage more than 40 hps the tarrasque, so It will never kill him.
Blackpuddings will split if they get hit. The Tarrasque will quickly face
dozends of blackpuddings.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

so, Thousands of things that can not hit him.
BP do Slam + 8 melee attack. Tarrasque AC is 35. Just add 20 and what do you see ? They hit at best a 28 AC. Not him.
their damage ? 2D6 + 4 plus 2d6 acid. Their best damage is 30. Tarrasque regenerates 40 each round.
I will not even bore to consider BP constrict attack.
And BP have no speed to hold tarrasque and they actually have a limit for their split.
Virtually, The Tarrasque is Immune to Black Puddings.
Sindai
Youngling

Post by Sindai »

Can't the Tarraque just eat the puddings? That's what it does to everything else.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

I once heard a plan for really low-level characters to kill a Tarrasque. (IIRC it was from Chuck Glasgow on the CBR Rumbles board.) It involved finding some Green Slime (while equipped with protective gear) and arranging for the Tarrasque to eat it. The Green Slime will convert the Tarrasque into itself, at which point your low-level characters open a can of whoopass on the ex-Tarrasque slime. This may not work in 3rd edition though.
Sindai
Youngling

Post by Sindai »

Personally, I'd rule that Tarrasque digestive acids (since it's described as this giant engine of all-devouring destruction and all) > green slime, but hey, whatever the DM says.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

*looks for Rescipe for Tarrasque Soup* (It's in there trust me.)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

lgot wrote: The Tarrasque is Immune to Black Puddings.

No it isn't. Tarrasque attacks BP and takes 2d6 acid damage. This
is 7 avg damage. 7x6 = 42 acid damage per round. Add some lucky
BP hits and this gets worse. 100 BP will hit it 5 times per round. 77 acid
damage per round. Both creatures are stupid the BP will win - it just takes
alot of time.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

No he is immune.
For once BP only does acid damage if He hits, not when He is hit.
For twice, No lucky black pudding will hit tarrasque. If the BP rolls a 20 , he does not hit the tarrasque. Third one BP never gets to 100. And just look their movement, in one round Tarrasque will be out of BP reach to destroy something else.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Since this is between two D&D critters, it's probably safe to note that the Tarrasque's basic 'save' against the BP's attack is automatically(Even if he rolls a 1!) higher than the difficulty required to avoid damage. In addition, even if they did score a normal hit, 25 HP of damage would immediately be ignored before we even discuss his regeneration(Damage Reduction).

It's good to be a geek.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

SirNitram wrote:Since this is between two D&D critters, it's probably safe to note that the Tarrasque's basic 'save' against the BP's attack is automatically(Even if he rolls a 1!) higher than the difficulty required to avoid damage. In addition, even if they did score a normal hit, 25 HP of damage would immediately be ignored before we even discuss his regeneration(Damage Reduction).
DR is useless against acid. Acid counts as a "energy attack" which
ignores DR. You will take acid damage if you hit the BP with your
natural attacks. There is no save against this type of damage AFAIK.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Thunderfire wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Since this is between two D&D critters, it's probably safe to note that the Tarrasque's basic 'save' against the BP's attack is automatically(Even if he rolls a 1!) higher than the difficulty required to avoid damage. In addition, even if they did score a normal hit, 25 HP of damage would immediately be ignored before we even discuss his regeneration(Damage Reduction).
DR is useless against acid. Acid counts as a "energy attack" which
ignores DR. You will take acid damage if you hit the BP with your
natural attacks. There is no save against this type of damage AFAIK.
Reflex save, against a 29. The Tarrasque's Reflex save is 29.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

and to be quite frankly, nowhere in the BP description says that when he is hit, the attacker takes any damage...
The Tarrasque is immune.
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:*looks for Rescipe for Tarrasque Soup* (It's in there trust me.)
Try to get some BBQ griffin while your'e at it.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

SirNitram wrote:
Thunderfire wrote: Reflex save, against a 29. The Tarrasque's Reflex save is 29.
I can only find reflex saves for items in the BP discription. It says that
any melee hit deals acid damage - this includes hits taken by the
BP. Weapons/Armor must make a save or be disolved. They would
still take acid damage if they have been hit 50/20 depending of the
type of the weapon/armor.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

I can only find reflex saves for items in the BP discription. It says that
any melee hit deals acid damage - this includes hits taken by the
BP.
no, it does not. This is HIS attack description. Next paragraph talks about BP when hit by weapons and they must make a save. And there there is no description of damage taken by the attacker.
The Tarrasque takes NO damage when he hits. Plus a weapon extra damage (Such as acid) only do damage if they hit the adversay. The BP can not pass the fact the Tarrasque is only hit by weapons +5 or Better.
The tarrasque is immune to BP.