Cartoon Network to air FLCL on Adult Swim

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

There will be a brand new season of The Big O after the first season airs.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:There will be a brand new season of The Big O after the first season airs.

Hurrah! I always thought it was sucky, leaving off right there with those three "O" machines heading towards the city!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:There will be a brand new season of The Big O after the first season airs.

Woo-hoo! This kciks so much ass, man! Thank you! :D

BTW, where did you get your information? I've heard literally nothing about a new season.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

About a year's worth of information and news from Anime News Network.

BTW, your post looks really fucked up...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:About a year's worth of information and news from Anime News Network.

BTW, your post looks really fucked up...
Mm-hm, there's something wrong with my sig. I've checked my user profile, but there doen't seem to be anything wrong with it, so I don't know.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Blue Gender isn't that bad (Of the 8 episodes I've seen). Basicaly if you were not going to make Starship troopers like the novel with powerarmor, Blue Gender is how they should of done it. Warning, dark and depressing.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

FLCL is crap and should just die... that and Naruto.

Mahoromatic was good, NGE was ok, Kare Kano was wonderful, but this is simply baloney. Gross, too. Seeing Haruko suck on eggs was disgusting.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Hamel wrote:FLCL is crap and should just die... that and Naruto.
What/who's Naruto?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Shinova wrote:
What/who's Naruto?
Naruto is a manga turned anime that centers around a bratty ninja named... Naruto... and his adventures/training with friends. It's still in production, a new episode almost every week is aired in Japan. It's become WIDLY popular and is the new trend among american anime fans. Torrents are supposedly all over the net now and many anime IRC channels have thousands of people downloading fansubs.

It could become the new DBZ if picked up by dubbers.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

kekeke

widly i say
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

When does FLCL air?

*Hits Hamel in the head with a guitar* Silence, you.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:When does FLCL air?

*Hits Hamel in the head with a guitar* Silence, you.
*pats DP on the back*

The schedule is in the link at the top of this thread.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Shoots DP & Hamel with Traq dart gun, no fighting, don't make me call in the other Mods.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Shadowhawk
Jedi Knight

Post by Shadowhawk »

Mahoromatic was good, NGE was ok, Kare Kano was wonderful, but this is simply baloney. Gross, too. Seeing Haruko suck on eggs was disgusting.
Uh, so FLCL is crap because Haruko 'sucked on eggs'? Come up with some more substantial reasons, please.

Mahoromatic is alright, but it rapidly devolves into a fanservice-filled harem anime with some action towards the end. Mahoromatic S2 devolves even further.
Kare Kano is excellent, if you ignore the last episodes and read the manga instead.

And what's wrong with Naruto? I've watched about 20 episodes of it (and read the manga that's been released in Shonen Jump), and I'm liking it a hell of a lot.
Shadowhawk
Eric from ASVS
"Sufficiently advanced technology is often indistinguishable from magic." -- Clarke's Third Law
"Then, from sea to shining sea, the God-King sang the praises of teflon, and with his face to the sunshine, he churned lots of butter." -- Body of a pharmacy spam email

Here's my avatar, full-sized (Yoshitoshi ABe's autograph in my Lain: Omnipresence artbook)
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Uh, so FLCL is crap because Haruko 'sucked on eggs'? Come up with some more substantial reasons, please.
Wow, I list only one reason why I think FLCL sucks ass and that must mean I have no more reasons or it isn't substancial enough? Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhlease

You want more, eh? *puts on Frank Sinatra mask*
Haruko's voice was nasal and annoying. This is a grand disgrace considering the voice comes from the same person who played Miyazawa in Kare Kano. Then we have "Ta-kun's" attitude and demeanor which is so cliched I said "wtf". You can tell that Gainax is trying to sell the "HARUKO IS TEH SEXAY" angle as hard as they can, but it just doesn't work. She looks manly half the time, and the previously mentioned thing on the eggs doesn't help. Half the events in the series just pop out of nowhere, and the 2000 billion FLCL fans on IRC and message boards try to sell me the idea that there's some deep meaning behind it. Bullshit I tell you. They did this series for the shock factor, but they executed that concept on a better level with Ebichu. Now THAT is comedy.

Oh yeah, and the only two characters that interested me were the TV robot dude and Mamimi. For some reason I just felt sorry for Mamimi; the fact that she's homeless. The robot was pretty damn funny. But really, those were the only two highlights of the series... that and the south park parody.
And what's wrong with Naruto? I've watched about 20 episodes of it (and read the manga that's been released in Shonen Jump), and I'm liking it a hell of a lot.
I just don't like it. No sir I don't like it. Especially the 2nd season opening with the punk rock shit~ it makes me go r3e3.kjn3nj4n 4j1
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Big O kicks ass, and I don't even like most anime. I noticed tonight that they didn't change the "god" in the startup sequence to "good" this time.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Hamel wrote:You want more, eh? *puts on Frank Sinatra mask*
Haruko's voice was nasal and annoying.
Wow, just cause a character sounds annoying the whole show is bad. :roll:

Does it ever occur to you that she's SUPPOSED to sound all nasal and annoying?
This is a grand disgrace considering the voice comes from the same person who played Miyazawa in Kare Kano.
Why should a voice actress limit herself to one voice style in her career?
Then we have "Ta-kun's" attitude and demeanor which is so cliched I said "wtf".
Which one? Where he "falls in love" with Haruko?
You can tell that Gainax is trying to sell the "HARUKO IS TEH SEXAY" angle as hard as they can, but it just doesn't work. She looks manly half the time, and the previously mentioned thing on the eggs doesn't help.
Because Haruko is unappealing as a female, Gainax must be trying for the sexy angle but are failing at it? Ever considered that Gainax isn't going for that at all?
Half the events in the series just pop out of nowhere, and the 2000 billion FLCL fans on IRC and message boards try to sell me the idea that there's some deep meaning behind it. Bullshit I tell you. They did this series for the shock factor, but they executed that concept on a better level with Ebichu. Now THAT is comedy.
This is the same thing some people who've watched Eva say when they state, "Eva's such crap! It's filled with biblical BS, etc". Look harder.
Oh yeah, and the only two characters that interested me were the TV robot dude and Mamimi. For some reason I just felt sorry for Mamimi; the fact that she's homeless.
I hated Mamimi. She's been stringing Naota along, calling her Ta-kun. Notice that she calls the cat she finds Ta. And later on, she calls the power core Ta-kun also. And in episode 5, she calls out for Tasuku, Naota's brother.

Naota has basically been a sort of substitute.
The robot was pretty damn funny. But really, those were the only two highlights of the series... that and the south park parody.
I thought the South Park parody was actually just so-so.

If a mod wants to split this, feel free.
What's her bust size!?

Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Wow, just cause a character sounds annoying the whole show is bad. :roll:
Your reading comprehension is usually better than this. That wasn't my sole reason.
Does it ever occur to you that she's SUPPOSED to sound all nasal and annoying?
Like that matters? The fact that she does in the first place makes her annoying and helps to make the show unenjoyable. If you like it, fine. For me, it's :roll: :roll:
Why should a voice actress limit herself to one voice style in her career?
No one said she HAD to. Gainax is free to direct her voice anyway they want, and I'm free to find it annoying and uninspired.
Which one? Where he "falls in love" with Haruko?
No, the overral angsty grumpy 'tude he has.
Because Haruko is unappealing as a female, Gainax must be trying for the sexy angle but are failing at it? Ever considered that Gainax isn't going for that at all?
Oh, christ :roll: Watch episode 4 if you deny it.
This is the same thing some people who've watched Eva say when they state, "Eva's such crap! It's filled with biblical BS, etc". Look harder.
No, people said "Eva's such crap! No one would give a shit about the show if they didn't throw in religious symbols left and right." Which is partly true.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Hamel wrote:Your reading comprehension is usually better than this. That wasn't my sole reason.
I think your reading comprehension is what needs attention, considering I did address more than that one.
Like that matters? The fact that she does in the first place makes her annoying and helps to make the show unenjoyable. If you like it, fine. For me, it's :roll: :roll:
So a nasal-sounding voice does that much to degrade a show for you? Oookay :wtf:
No, the overral angsty grumpy 'tude he has.
That's him taking things too seriously and trying to act all adult-like. Everyone else seems like a kid to him.
Oh, christ :roll: Watch episode 4 if you deny it.
One episode does not make a character.
No, people said "Eva's such crap! No one would give a shit about the show if they didn't throw in religious symbols left and right." Which is partly true.
Why don't you try asking Spanky someday what Evangelion is really about?

The religious symbolism is pure decor. The real meanings have to do with the characters.
What's her bust size!?

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Your tastes in anime are stingy as hell, Ham. What do you like?

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Durran Korr wrote:Your tastes in anime are stingy as hell, Ham. What do you like?
What do you mean stingy? I express dislike for two popular anime series and now I'm stingy?

Oh, I don't care for .hack//sign either (ok, now I just pissed off the 5 trillion .hack fans)

I like, of course, Violinist of Hameln
Hana Yori Dango
Slam Dunk
Kare Kano
Ebichu the Housekeeping Hamster
Gundam Stardust Memory
Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
DBZ
Sailor Moon
Trigun
Rurouni Kenshin
One Piece
Azumanga Daioh
Ranma
Rahxephon (ooh boy I just started this series, and it's nothing like NGE)
Onegai Teacher
Slayers
Golden Boy
Lupin IIIrd Castle of Cagliostro
and some others
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

What do you mean stingy? I express dislike for two popular anime series and now I'm stingy?
Well, I remember you saying you disliked Bebop, so that's another one.

It seems to me you like the more light-hearted stuff, as opposed to the darker, more serious stuff.

LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

When I do watch anime, I want something where characters actually sit down and have conversations every once in a while. I want something I can show my dad without being embarassed. I definitely DON'T want some screaming bullshit about some Japanese schoolchildren chosen by fate to save the world from an evil demon lord who looks like Richard Simmons in a Kabuki outfit.

I remember Showtime used to run 'Macross Plus' and 'Ghost in the Shell' pretty regularly. Both of those were very good. I've never seen much Cowboy Bebop, but what I have seen gives me a good vibe.

Can you still get 'Big O' on DVD? I'm getting to like it more each time I see it.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster