Favorite Wizard / Sorceress from Fantasy

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Alex Moon wrote:
Captain_Cyran wrote:Obviously none of you have ever read DragonLance, or there would be unanimous "Fizban is the greatest" posts for this thread. :D
Right until Rand al'Thor zaps him with balefire...

Or Haplo casts a particularly nasty rune-spell...

etc. etc. etc. :P
Fizban is a god...I don't think he'll be to impressed...not to mention he is FAR funnier then any of them.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I know a mage that could take out Fizban....

His name being Karsus..

My OTHER favorite mage
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:I know a mage that could take out Fizban....

His name being Karsus..

My OTHER favorite mage
But Karsus would underestimate Fizban, any moron who couldn't remember that his hat was on his head would obviously not be a threat, and that's when the old man would strike :twisted: :D :wink: .

I know it wouldn't happen, but...come on. Fizban is awesome because he is powerful and every scene he is in is HILARIOUS!
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

That is just it...Karsus can locate gods... Pladine siting next to him would be very noticable to even a simple detect magic spell...

Then Karsus casts avatar and steals his power.... But yes Fizban is funny as hell.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

CrimsonRaine
Jedi Knight

Post by CrimsonRaine »

Definately Raistlin. He's such an ass. :D

CrimsonRaine
"And on that day, on the horizon, I shall be. And I shall point at them and say unto them HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!" -- Ravenwing
RedImperator: "Yeah, and there were little Jesus-bits everywhere."
Crimsonraine: "Jesus-bits?!"

666th Post: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:59 am
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

CrimsonRaine wrote: Definately Raistlin. He's such an ass. :D
I am suprised how many people chose D&D Wizards, they are among the most inflexable mages of fantasy. Their spells are memeorized and then they forget them when cast.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Captain_Cyran wrote: Fizban is a god...I don't think he'll be to impressed...not to mention he is FAR funnier then any of them.
If you are going to take a god, I chose Thoth
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Obviously none of you have ever read DragonLance, or there would be unanimous "Fizban is the greatest" posts for this thread.

etc. etc. etc.
The entire faculty of the Unseen University would win, especially when shouting 'YO!' and mixing spells... :P
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Kitsune wrote:
CrimsonRaine wrote: Definately Raistlin. He's such an ass. :D
I am suprised how many people chose D&D Wizards, they are among the most inflexable mages of fantasy. Their spells are memeorized and then they forget them when cast.
Not all of them...some are rather flexible...the mages of netheril did not have to memorize them :D

And the need for memorization sort of adds to their character.

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: Not all of them...some are rather flexible...the mages of netheril did not have to memorize them :D
And the need for memorization sort of adds to their character.
Other fanatsy writers use the idea that wizards get exhausted as they cast spells or have a limited amount of magical energy. I think they make for far better stoy telling.
Thomas Paine

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Alex Moon wrote:
Alex Moon wrote:
innerbrat wrote:Mustrum Ridcully.

Rincewind's a crap wizard (albeit a good Wizzard)
Bah, give me Granny Weatherwax over Ridcully anyday.
Hmm, Granny Weatherwax vs. a Jedi? :twisted:
Granny's Headology v/s Jedi Mind trick. JEDI PWNED!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Male: Harkle Harpel(sp, I think): Salvatore's Dark Elf books.
Reason: He was bat-shit insane and went out in a blaze of glory while riding a giant frog.

Female: Tie between Lulu (FFX) and Rydia (FF2 (or IV)).
Reason: Lulu had the attitude, Rydia had the "giant summons that raped anything you used them on."
SHODAN
Padawan Learner

Post by SHODAN »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Karsus..

My OTHER favorite mage
The Unmaker of the Weave? :wtf: Humans and power...
In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Alex Moon wrote:
Captain_Cyran wrote:Obviously none of you have ever read DragonLance, or there would be unanimous "Fizban is the greatest" posts for this thread. :D

etc. etc. etc. :P
Fizban is a god...I don't think he'll be to impressed...not to mention he is FAR funnier then any of them.
Haplo is also a god. Haplo has Zifnab for comic relief. Zifnab is funnier than Fizban. Zifnab makes Star Wars references. :P

Rand al'Thor can weave balefire, which is more powerful than even the gods.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

LadyTevar wrote:
Alex Moon wrote:
Alex Moon wrote: Bah, give me Granny Weatherwax over Ridcully anyday.
Hmm, Granny Weatherwax vs. a Jedi? :twisted:
Granny's Headology v/s Jedi Mind trick. JEDI PWNED!
I get this image of Granny walking along somewhere lecturing Obi-wan, who is meekly nodding his head and saying "Yes ma'am. No ma'am..."
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

Post by Grand Admiral Ancaris »

My all time favorite: Nagash.
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." --- Unknown

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." ---Euripides
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

To explain, Alex - the OP asked for wizards/sorceresses. Granny is a witch. She would be most dipleased with you callind her a sorceress, and she doesn't hold with that kind of thing!
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

wow! to whole pages and no ones mentioned
....HARRY POTTER

*runs away*
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Alex Moon wrote:Haplo is also a god. Haplo has Zifnab for comic relief. Zifnab is funnier than Fizban. Zifnab makes Star Wars references. :P

Rand al'Thor can weave balefire, which is more powerful than even the gods.
Hey, I've read the Death Gate Cycle, Haplo and Alfred are not gods, just...Demigods. And besides, Zifnab and Fizban are the same person :D .

See, Fizban/Zifnab is the most AWESOME mage EVER.
The Drunkard Kid
Padawan Learner

Post by The Drunkard Kid »

Actually, balefire < Cuendillar which is in turn < the Dark One (after a long, long time, mind you, but still), who is more or less a tiny bit below the Creator.

Besides, I second the vote for Lina. Quite possibly the most powerful magician in all of fiction if only for her ability to summon the omnipotent god of her universe to whack whatever is bothering her at the moment (mind you, there's a greater than fifty percent chance that spell will go haywire, destroy the universe, and obliterate her soul. But what's life without a few risks?) and fairly versatile magically, she's also a world class physical fighter and has just the touch of hyperactivitey and enough disdain for the health of everyone within a hundred miles of her to be incredibly amusing without sacrificing her extreme levels of competence.
"What's that smear on the wall, Mommy?"
"That used to be Spider-Man, honey."
"What killed him?"
"A zipper. Some said it was velcro, but the Daily Bugle said it was a zipper, and I believe the Bugle."
"Wow, he musta been real stupid, huh?"
"Yes honey, he was."
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Kai Wren: From Roger Zelany's last book "Lord Demon". Imagine a really good sword fighter with magical spells with no speaking or incantations that can be thrown when in the midle of a dual along with very good shape shifting. Specalized in making glass bottles that contained mini-planes. Also made three bottles each that could cast a near-limtiless wish.
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

What about Suzanna Parrish from Weaveworld??

I know she's not a wizard in the classical sense of the word, but she definately has supernatural abilities.

Also a honourable mention to Malekith, the Witch-King of Naggaroth. (Warhammer Fantasy Battle) He has been alive for 6000 years only thanks to his magic. And he's a mighty warrior to boot.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Whitefox, of the 80's comic book "Redfox", Harrier/Valkyrie Press, UK.

It was because of her that I decided I liked mages. Sigh, o where hast thou gone to, mine sisters Redfox and Whitefox?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

Post by Grand Admiral Ancaris »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:Also a honourable mention to Malekith, the Witch-King of Naggaroth. (Warhammer Fantasy Battle) He has been alive for 6000 years only thanks to his magic. And he's a mighty warrior to boot.
Just personal opinion I guess, but I think Nagash, the Great Necromancer, is a better choice than Malekith.

He's existed for at least 4000 years. He succeeded in killing a kingdom of millions, and then reanimating all their corpses to create the greatest army the world has ever seen. He was killed by his would-be allies, cut into a thousand pieces, and those pieces were incinerated and STILL he came back. He's a more powerful Sorcerer than Malekith, as well as a greater warrior than Malekith.
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." --- Unknown

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." ---Euripides
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Grand Admiral Ancaris wrote:He's existed for at least 4000 years. He succeeded in killing a kingdom of millions, and then reanimating all their corpses to create the greatest army the world has ever seen. He was killed by his would-be allies, cut into a thousand pieces, and those pieces were incinerated and STILL he came back. He's a more powerful Sorcerer than Malekith, as well as a greater warrior than Malekith.
But does Nagash ride a black dragon?? :?
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"