Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

RogueIce
_______

Re: Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

Post by RogueIce »

That they appear to be made of gold and could possibly be melted down into moolah is just a bonus.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

RogueIce wrote:That they appear to be made of gold and could possibly be melted down into moolah is just a bonus.
You mean the harpy statue? I thought it was made out of bronze (I'm also presuming the same thing with those Sons of the Harpy masks).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Either way, melt value alone would be enormous.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Pelranius wrote:Looks like Rhaegar got all the smarts in that family.

Didn't see Master Aemon in the Castle Black scenes (or my eyes are failing me). I imagine that Shireen would love him (might even remind him of her great grandma, Aemon's niece Rhaella).
He's listed in the Season 5 credits on IMDB, so I guess he'll turn up later.

After a second viewing, I was totally creeped out by the baby-killing ex-bodyguard being anywhere near Gilly, knowing what he's capable of.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You have to be more specific - which one of the baby-killing ex-bodyguards do you mean?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The former gold cloak Tyrion banished to the Wall. The one who carried out Joffrey's murder spree.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Janos Slynt - it drove me crazy how he was following Alliser Thorne around like nothing had happened. I guess word of his cowardice at the Battle of Castle Black didn't' get around. I can't imagine Thorne would suffer him to be around him otherwise.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Atia
Youngling

Post by Atia »

I just want to say that seeing the Bolton banner on Winterfell in the opening makes me want to crush a glass in my hand in a dramatic fashion. Was it like that last season too and I just hadn’t noticed?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I find it interesting that Stannis is focusing on fighting the Boltons when his red witch is constantly telling him that the true threat lies to the north with the White Walkers.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

FaxModem1 wrote:I find it interesting that Stannis is focusing on fighting the Boltons when his red witch is constantly telling him that the true threat lies to the north with the White Walkers.
Can't fight the true threat with the Boltons at his back and without access to to the resources of the North!
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Atia wrote:I just want to say that seeing the Bolton banner on Winterfell in the opening makes me want to crush a glass in my hand in a dramatic fashion. Was it like that last season too and I just hadn’t noticed?
I believe it as in the last or second to last episode - when The Boltons actually took up residence there.
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Either way, melt value alone would be enormous.
Could be melted down and re-cast as a dragon, the practicality of that aside.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Lord Kevan fucking rocked the hell out of that small council scene, but the best line of the episode goes to Arya-winter-is-in-my-veins-Stark; 'Nothing is worth anything to dead men'.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Poor Stannis. He keeps having his entirely fair and even generous offers thrown back in his face...
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Liked this episode a lot. Tyrion & Varys was somewhat superfluous (the writers clearly just wanted to indulge their penchant for dialog), but everything else was good. Stannis / Jon and Lyanna Mormont's letter was a perfect right-from-the-book moment (with Davos being a great addition), right down the child's handwriting on the letter. I especially liked Sam calling out Janos for being a craven - in public, repeatedly, and with great laughter.

Dany continues to be incapable of ruling Mereen, choosing the worst of all possible worlds. Like the murdered Harpy said - she doesn't belong there.
Crown wrote:Lord Kevan fucking rocked the hell out of that small council scene, but the best line of the episode goes to Arya-winter-is-in-my-veins-Stark; 'Nothing is worth anything to dead men'.
Kevan was great, wasn't he?

Was genuinely surprised when the Faceless Man turned out to be Jacquen - for some silly reason.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Keep in mind that Kevan is Cersei's uncle, and noble title or no, being bullshitted by a niece or nephew is a bit much for anyone with a shred of self-respect.

The scene with the dwarf's head being delivered to Cersei was hilarious!
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elfdart wrote:Keep in mind that Kevan is Cersei's uncle, and noble title or no, being bullshitted by a niece or nephew is a bit much for anyone with a shred of self-respect.

The scene with the dwarf's head being delivered to Cersei was hilarious!
Qyburn made that scene: "oh hey - since no one is using that severed dwarf head ... can I have it?"

He's the Krieger of Game of Thrones.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Shame that Kevan is going back to Casterly Rock so soon. Would it be too much to ask that he take Lancel with him in a strait jacket?

What happened to Lyanna Mormont's mother? I remember hearing something about her back in Season One? Don't know if she has any sisters on the show.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Pelranius wrote:Shame that Kevan is going back to Casterly Rock so soon. Would it be too much to ask that he take Lancel with him in a strait jacket?

What happened to Lyanna Mormont's mother? I remember hearing something about her back in Season One? Don't know if she has any sisters on the show.
Maege Mormont was in three episodes of Season 1, albeit unnamed. The family tree isn't remarked upon at all really. She may be just the most senior Mormont left on Bear Island.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Vympel wrote:
Pelranius wrote:Shame that Kevan is going back to Casterly Rock so soon. Would it be too much to ask that he take Lancel with him in a strait jacket?

Maege Mormont was in three episodes of Season 1, albeit unnamed. The family tree isn't remarked upon at all really. She may be just the most senior Mormont left on Bear Island.
Ah. Maege could have gone off Bear Island to go fight the Ironborn (I doubt she was at the Red Wedding).
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Not strictly on topic, but I just recently learned that Aidan Gillen did an audio book reading of Sunzi's Art of War: http://www.audible.com/pd/History/The-A ... 500&sr=1-1

I am amused.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Solid episode this week. The show is doing a great job of showing the Boltons sitting on an epic barrell of Northern hate - what with the servant woman welcoming Sansa home, and Ramsay's story about Lord Cerwyn telling him to get fucked was great - it cost him and most of his family his life, but I wonder if the new Lord Cerwyn will stay loyal? LOL nope. Brienne's backstory was also very well handled.

Davos is also being used very well at the Wall - the talk he had with Jon was good.

Stannis continues to impress this season - he's disappointed with Jon's refusal, but continues onward, not dwelling or brooding on it, and advises him further.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Vympel wrote:He's the Krieger of Game of Thrones.
I laughed at how true this was. His comment when the body in his room jumps makes me think the same thing as well. He's probably the only person left in King's Landing who knows how incredibly messed up he is, and he doesn't care.

Maybe I missed something: but what's the deal with Margaery Tyrell. She's been through 2 kings now and is working on a third. It's just assumed she would marry Tommen? I know virtue is a "big deal" on Westero, except when it isn't. I get the Tyrell's have money and it made sense to marry her off to Joffery. But are we kind of past that now or is the Crown in such desperate need of money they're going to toss Joffery's wife onto Tommen without even a comment (that I can recall being made)? Like I said, it looks to me it was just kind of assumed she'd marry the next king. Why? No kids? Dead at the wedding means they shouldn't have consummated, is that why she's still "worth" being married off?

Some scenes felt a little contrived. Did Mr. Piss himself really have balls (the man is a proved coward) to force Jon's hand like that? Did he really think a Stark (calling him a bastard is one thing, but he knows Jon, has tried to have him killed) was going to back down when he rebuffed his authority twice? Did he really think Thorne was going to step in? Yea, Jon has enemies, but half the men +1 voted for him to be Lord Commander. And, oh yea, Stannis Fucking Barathon has an army there and seems to be on fairly friendly terms with said bastard. Was he expecting some kind of mutiny or for Jon to back down? He literally had no choice but to execute Slynt and in fact had many good reasons for doing so aside from the public disrespect, so the scene lost a lot of impact for me. I get that Slynt was a coward, but a suicidal idiot? It ended up just being kind of a "like father like son" callback to the first season.

Nitpick: shouldn't it be like 5billion degrees in Varys' little box? I don't see much ventilation. Seems like a better reason to want out than "lol bored now."

Also, Jorah randomly runs into Tyrion in a brothel. Queue makeshift ballgag: bet he's popular with the ladies........ Eh, the wife thought it was funny.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Well, the Lannisters have to marry Tommen to Margaery, since the show version, they're pretty close to bankrupt. They are really desperate (and Cersei did make Mace Tyrell Master of Coin, even if that was in no small part stacking the Small Council with puppets).
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

TheFeniX wrote:
Vympel wrote:He's the Krieger of Game of Thrones.
I laughed at how true this was. His comment when the body in his room jumps makes me think the same thing as well. He's probably the only person left in King's Landing who knows how incredibly messed up he is, and he doesn't care.

Maybe I missed something: but what's the deal with Margaery Tyrell. She's been through 2 kings now and is working on a third. It's just assumed she would marry Tommen? I know virtue is a "big deal" on Westero, except when it isn't. I get the Tyrell's have money and it made sense to marry her off to Joffery. But are we kind of past that now or is the Crown in such desperate need of money they're going to toss Joffery's wife onto Tommen without even a comment (that I can recall being made)? Like I said, it looks to me it was just kind of assumed she'd marry the next king. Why? No kids? Dead at the wedding means they shouldn't have consummated, is that why she's still "worth" being married off?
There were mutiple scenes last season mentioning her Marrying Tommen, including a late night scene where she snuck into his room. It was made quite clear that the Lannisters needed the backing of the Tyrells. It was more than money, it was also the soldiers and food that Highgarden provided. Margaery's marriage to the king (whomever it may be) was the way to secure it. She's worth being married off because of her family name and being of child bearing age. In the same way that Cersei was "worth marrying off" to Loras Tyrell despite being a widow...

I don't know why you are surprised that it actually happened.
Some scenes felt a little contrived. Did Mr. Piss himself really have balls (the man is a proved coward) to force Jon's hand like that? Did he really think a Stark (calling him a bastard is one thing, but he knows Jon, has tried to have him killed) was going to back down when he rebuffed his authority twice? Did he really think Thorne was going to step in? Yea, Jon has enemies, but half the men +1 voted for him to be Lord Commander. And, oh yea, Stannis Fucking Barathon has an army there and seems to be on fairly friendly terms with said bastard. Was he expecting some kind of mutiny or for Jon to back down? He literally had no choice but to execute Slynt and in fact had many good reasons for doing so aside from the public disrespect, so the scene lost a lot of impact for me. I get that Slynt was a coward, but a suicidal idiot? It ended up just being kind of a "like father like son" callback to the first season.
Hard to say what he was thinking, but obviously he didn't think he'd be immediately executed. He was a man used to giving orders not taking them having until very recently been sitting at the table (courtesy of throne) that Jon now occupied.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

TheHammer wrote:There were mutiple scenes last season mentioning her Marrying Tommen, including a late night scene where she snuck into his room. It was made quite clear that the Lannisters needed the backing of the Tyrells. It was more than money, it was also the soldiers and food that Highgarden provided. Margaery's marriage to the king (whomever it may be) was the way to secure it. She's worth being married off because of her family name and being of child bearing age. In the same way that Cersei was "worth marrying off" to Loras Tyrell despite being a widow...

I don't know why you are surprised that it actually happened.
Surprise wasn't my feeling. She did marry the king. The king is dead. To me, it smacks of desperation to immediately marry off the younger king to the last king's wife. Almost certainly what it is, but I felt it deserved a little more exposition considering it should be a big deal that the future Queen is more important than the king and appearances are a big deal in the 7 kingdoms. Instead we got a lot more Varys/Tyrion back and forth.

You brought up her sneaking into Tommen's room. To me it was "Hubby's dead, time to move on up" and that was the end of it: she'd now be marrying up again. The only person who seems to give a real shit is Cersei, and not because there's anything wrong with it socially, her grievances seem tied to Margery personally (or any woman after her sons) rather than "hey, why is this woman marrying another King?"
Hard to say what he was thinking, but obviously he didn't think he'd be immediately executed. He was a man used to giving orders not taking them having until very recently been sitting at the table (courtesy of throne) that Jon now occupied.
Refusing a direct order, especially that disrespectfully, from the Lord Commander was suicidal. Slynt had to have been there long enough to know his old title meant shit. Further, he may have been Thorne's little lacky, but how many nobles are running around in crow feathers now? Most of them are peasants, other criminal peasants. That he thought that situation would turn out any other way is insanity. I would be more inclined to believe he finally just realized he was fucked and figured a clean beheading was a faster way to die that pissing himself in fear off somewhere away from Castle Black. But he seemed genuinely surprised he was about to get executed... in Westeros... where this shit happens all the time.

I'm sure Jon's short look of consternation was having to behead a man, but Stannis's "good job" nod didn't make a lot of sense because the idea of Jon sparing him was just as insane as the circumstances that lead to the beheading. Removing how much of a danger the man is personally to Jon for a second, he's also a danger anywhere else he's in charge because he's an incompetent coward and scumbag opportunist who would sell any of them out if it benefited him in the slightest.

Trolling around the wiki, the books seemed to have done a better job (GASP!) putting some ambiguity in there. But from what I saw in the show: there's about no other way that situation could have gone down.