X-Men: Days of Future Past (Unmarked Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past (Unmarked Spoilers)

Post by Bedlam »

Gaidin wrote:Well yea, they're not mutually exclusive. But half the point of DOFP's storyline is that Mystique's assassination of Trask is that it drove the relationship between human and mutant apart so much that it literally left a "Mutants are evil" taste in the humans mouth. Whereas the choices made at the DOFP movie in front of the leaders literally shows that it's not such a simple dilemma as Trask was trying to say it was and she had driven them to for the war in the future. So now, that brings up the question, what can a background check show for the good characters like Iceman or Colossus where he to apply for XYZ agency after the timeline of DOFP is changed in ways it's not so blatantly shown in that five minutes we see?
To be honest it seems that the 'original' time line would have shows mutants as being less of a threat.

In that one Mystique assassinated Trask and was then captured by a human (although it does seem she got away later for X1-3 to take place).

In the new one Mystique and Magnito both separately try to assassinate people in the white house, they fail due to a change of heart and Professor X but there is nothing anyone human can seem to do against them. This would seem to be the universe where you'd build the hunter killer robots to deal with the 'mutant problem'.

I actually suspect the bigger chance is not getting their hands on samples from Mystique to build the adaptable sentinels. I suspect in the new time line sentinels were deployed but just weren't that effective and so were scrapped.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Bedlam wrote:To be honest it seems that the 'original' time line would have shows mutants as being less of a threat.

In that one Mystique assassinated Trask and was then captured by a human (although it does seem she got away later for X1-3 to take place).

In the new one Mystique and Magnito both separately try to assassinate people in the white house, they fail due to a change of heart and Professor X but there is nothing anyone human can seem to do against them. This would seem to be the universe where you'd build the hunter killer robots to deal with the 'mutant problem'.

I actually suspect the bigger chance is not getting their hands on samples from Mystique to build the adaptable sentinels. I suspect in the new time line sentinels were deployed but just weren't that effective and so were scrapped.
I think that has merit, but I think you're missing a few things. In the original timeline we don't know when Xavier gets his mojo back. In this instance he's up and running by the end of the movie. This automatically means that he can actively work against the creation of the sentinels, where in the original timeline it comes across as him being behind the curve.

Also as far as anyone knows the sentinels were a monumental failure, they opened fire into a crowd of normal humans and were under the control of a mutant. Kinda hard to have faith in a technology which upon first use turns on its creators. I could see the mutant gene sensor getting wide spread usage, but actually grafting that onto self thinking and armed tech you kinda suspect they got burned with that once and would be hesitant to do so again.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Bedlam wrote:To be honest it seems that the 'original' time line would have shows mutants as being less of a threat.

If I can add to Crown's point of Xavier having his mojo back near immediately and going to work against discrimination, my point about 2023 characters like Iceman and Colossus passing a background check if they wanted. With the work Xavier can do, there can be much more opportunities for them as they can be an almost parallel with Civil Rights as opposed to something that's merely implied to having just gotten started like in X-Men 1 with the Mutant Registration Act. I mean, when would, theoretically, something like the Mutant Civil Rights Act get passed if they're known to be fighting in Vietnam(at least by certain parts of the government) and Xavier's getting his mojo back in 1973?
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

RogueIce wrote: And they threw in a nod to Magneto being Quicksilver's father without actually saying as much.
I missed that part where was it.

Also I had to leave before the post credit scene ao what was it?
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

dragon wrote: Also I had to leave before the post credit scene ao what was it?
Spoiler
It showed Apocalypse as a child in Ancient Egypt assembling the Pyramids with his telekinesis
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

dragon wrote:
RogueIce wrote: And they threw in a nod to Magneto being Quicksilver's father without actually saying as much.
When Quicksilver and Magneto were in the elevator at the Pentagon, Quicksilver said, "They say you can manipulate metal. My mom used to know a guy who could do that."
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Civil War Man wrote:
dragon wrote:
When Quicksilver and Magneto were in the elevator at the Pentagon, Quicksilver said, "They say you can manipulate metal. My mom used to know a guy who could do that."
OK i remember it now
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

NeoGoomba wrote:
dragon wrote: Also I had to leave before the post credit scene ao what was it?
Spoiler
It showed Apocalypse as a child in Ancient Egypt assembling the Pyramids with his telekinesis
A lone figure stands on a hill, while the teeming masses below prostrate themselves, chanting "En Sabah Nur! En Sabah Nur!". Beyond them, great blocks of stone are assembling themselves into the familiar shape of the pyramids. The camera pans around, and we see his face. A young man, gray skinned with blue lips. On the hill behind him we see the silhouettes of four horsemen...

Pretty fucking cool scene, IMO.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

dragon wrote:Also I had to leave before the post credit scene ao what was it?
It was this;

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

God that bit with the Four Horsemen over his shoulder gives me chills each time I see it. I was such an Apocalypse fanboy as a younger man.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

What a great movie, but like some others I have some issues with the sentinels.

First off, I really liked the art work and design of the future sentinels. A good mix of just future look and functional badassery to believe they are as dire a threat as they are supposed to be. Yeah, I feel the ripped off the Destroyer from Thor, especially with the head splitting laser weapon visual, but the Destroyer was awesome too.

I do, however, have an issue with their powers. They latch onto the Mystique thing pretty rabidly, but they seem to have forgotten exactly what Mystiques powers actually are. She is able visually mimic other beings which she then uses to for purposes of deceit, but she in no way shape or form replicates their abilities. The reason the sentinels in the future are so powerful is that they either absorb or mimic the abilities of the mutants they encounter. At no point did the sentinels use Mystiques actual power, there appearance changes as a consequence of using their opponents power just like when the original owner does so. Along these lines it is Rogue they should have extracted the sentinels abilities from, not Mystique. This obviously doesn't jive with the target timeframe they were looking for, but it doesn't make sense as it is.

I also didn't like the 1970s sentinels. The tech is too advanced, it took me out of the emersion that they did a pretty good job with until then. Cerebro and the mansion basement levels looking the same as in the 2000s also did that. Yeah they threw a few steam gauges on the Cerebro console but honestly that side by side contrast made the time inappropriate tech jump out that much more. They made an effort to in First Class to keep the aesthetic constant, I feel they should have done that here too.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Does anyone else think that Magneto did kill JFK?

I got the impression that he only said he didn't do it once he found out Prof. X couldn't read his mind any more, and he also was still able to hit mystique out the window out of sight and round a a 90 degree bend with the bullet despite being wrestled with at the time.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Steel wrote:Does anyone else think that Magneto did kill JFK?

I got the impression that he only said he didn't do it once he found out Prof. X couldn't read his mind any more, and he also was still able to hit mystique out the window out of sight and round a a 90 degree bend with the bullet despite being wrestled with at the time.
Kinda thought he was being sincere because you know, Lee Harvey Oswald actually did shoot at JFK so ... the assassination attempt was already on without his intervention.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Patroklos wrote:What a great movie, but like some others I have some issues with the sentinels.

First off, I really liked the art work and design of the future sentinels. A good mix of just future look and functional badassery to believe they are as dire a threat as they are supposed to be. Yeah, I feel the ripped off the Destroyer from Thor, especially with the head splitting laser weapon visual, but the Destroyer was awesome too.

I do, however, have an issue with their powers. They latch onto the Mystique thing pretty rabidly, but they seem to have forgotten exactly what Mystiques powers actually are. She is able visually mimic other beings which she then uses to for purposes of deceit, but she in no way shape or form replicates their abilities. The reason the sentinels in the future are so powerful is that they either absorb or mimic the abilities of the mutants they encounter. At no point did the sentinels use Mystiques actual power, there appearance changes as a consequence of using their opponents power just like when the original owner does so. Along these lines it is Rogue they should have extracted the sentinels abilities from, not Mystique. This obviously doesn't jive with the target timeframe they were looking for, but it doesn't make sense as it is.

I also didn't like the 1970s sentinels. The tech is too advanced, it took me out of the emersion that they did a pretty good job with until then. Cerebro and the mansion basement levels looking the same as in the 2000s also did that. Yeah they threw a few steam gauges on the Cerebro console but honestly that side by side contrast made the time inappropriate tech jump out that much more. They made an effort to in First Class to keep the aesthetic constant, I feel they should have done that here too.
Given the way mutant powers can evolve in the comics, I don't think the issue with Mystique's powers are such a huge deal. We're frequently shown examples where someone hijacking another mutant's power is shown able to do things that the mutant who actually possesses the power would have never considered on their own. So the fact Mystique is limited to basic shapeshifting in most cases doesn't mean that's all her powers can theoretically do, it either just never occurs to them to use them that way or they've got psychological blocks that prevent it. #nerd
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I just assumed that Trask and his company worked out a way to modify her mutant cells to be able to do more than just mimic appearances. Considering Beast could create a mutant suppressant, it doesn't seem far off that crazed billionaire Trask and his government funded research couldn't find and experiment on enough mutants to be able to do what they needed.

The US Government: The best villains of twenty first century films.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Bedlam wrote:
Gaidin wrote:Well yea, they're not mutually exclusive. But half the point of DOFP's storyline is that Mystique's assassination of Trask is that it drove the relationship between human and mutant apart so much that it literally left a "Mutants are evil" taste in the humans mouth. Whereas the choices made at the DOFP movie in front of the leaders literally shows that it's not such a simple dilemma as Trask was trying to say it was and she had driven them to for the war in the future. So now, that brings up the question, what can a background check show for the good characters like Iceman or Colossus where he to apply for XYZ agency after the timeline of DOFP is changed in ways it's not so blatantly shown in that five minutes we see?
To be honest it seems that the 'original' time line would have shows mutants as being less of a threat.

Sure the new timeline shows that mutants are a huge danger, but on the other hand they also show that this super expensive Sentinel program is a complete bust. Trask has been strutting around telling everyone how he built them to stop mutants and even how he designed them specifically to be immune to the powers of Magento. Yet when Magneto shows he instantly makes the Sentinels his bitches. Sure by closer examination one can deduce that he somehow coasted them with iron so that he could control them. But public opinion is pretty pro-mutant at the end of the movie and the government isn't going to want the public digging into Trask and the military and how they were going all evil Nazi examination/dissection on mutants.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Sometimes, I wonder what Mystique would have done if that (North Vietnamese?) officer she seduced and planned to impersonate had been MORE attracted to her when she went blue?
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Watched it and found it pretty decent overall.

My only major gripe was Magneto and his complete clusterfuck of a contribution to the plot. I enjoyed the future aspect of them working together but the past day shit just blows all comprehension.
Magneto wants to ensure the Sentinels are not created, so he makes such a public spectacle that Sentinels would likely be created SOONER. Remove Magneto's bullshit from this film and the plan would have worked.

Incidentally, I had a major double-take when he somehow gains control of the Proto-Sentinels with railway tracks ? - His powers allow him to manipulate metal so... now he can hack Sentinels with railway tracks ?
Was he just FORCING the sentinels to do things like puppets by manipulating the metal ?
We see him literally order a Sentinel to go about it's business and it seems to cooperate then it decides to go hostile later.
The other Sentinels seem to cooperate and do what he wanted without going hostile so... not very clear on what was going on.

Xavier letting Magneto go - I almost thought for a moment Magneto was going to commit suicide or Xavier would mercy kill him but letting him go just made me eye roll. The dude is literally responsible for a fuckload of destruction and the humans are going to go after him so... you let him go so he can cause more destruction which makes the Sentinels an increasingly likely option to humans ?

I was rather surprised at how intense this film got on the violence. Colosus getting ripped in half, Storm viciously stabbed, flame dude getting his arm cut off and Wolverine getting ventilated by Magneto was pretty graphic. Meanwhile, the film holds back on showing any REAL damage to humans like Magneto knocking out the guards with the metal balls. It just feels like the film was being extremely obvious about toeing the line to keep a family friendly rating at the most extreme edge. It is okay to watch the Sentinels brutally murdering people when they do not quite look human but Magneto totally wont turn people to bloody stains with the Sentinels machine guns.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

And Magneto impaling Wolverine with steel bars taken from reinforced concrete as a homage to when he ripped the adamantium out of him in the comics. Not entirely sure what Mystique was aiming to accomplish by mimicking Stryker when they fished Wolverine out of the drink though.

What I did notice was that when the sentinels adapted, in the case of Pyro and Iceman instead of mimicking their abilities, they did the opposite- the one fighting iceman used fire, and vice versa. Wasn't sure if that was the first or second engagement though.

Which mutant was the one whose weapon charged by Storm's lightning, seems it's one not seen until now?
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

GHETTO EDIT: And bringing back Scott and Jean was a good way of taking a dump all over The Last Stand :lol:
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Which mutant was the one whose weapon charged by Storm's lightning, seems it's one not seen until now?
That was Forge, some sort of energy absorption power I think. The gun seems to act as a focus.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Um. I'm pretty sure that was Bishop.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The part that made me chuckle was the plastic revolvers and M9's. Go ahead and pull the trigger, not like you need that hand. Oh, it (somehow) didn't explode? Good luck hitting anything after the first shot, then.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Bedlam wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Which mutant was the one whose weapon charged by Storm's lightning, seems it's one not seen until now?
That was Forge, some sort of energy absorption power I think. The gun seems to act as a focus.
Wasn't that Bishop?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Highlord Laan wrote:The part that made me chuckle was the plastic revolvers and M9's. Go ahead and pull the trigger, not like you need that hand. Oh, it (somehow) didn't explode? Good luck hitting anything after the first shot, then.
Maybe the barrel was some kind of ceramic. The bullets would have to be, too.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"