My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Re: My Little Pony

Post by lordofchange13 »

evilsoup wrote:Pinkie Pie = pony of obnoxiousness
Rarity = pony of fabulousness
Fluttershy = pony of social anxiety disorder
Twilight Sparkle = pony of being goku
Rainbow Dash = pony of being a low-down rotten cheat
Applejack = pony of not starving to death

So you see, Applejack is the best pony.

However, she does have one major problem, and that is that she is practically perfect. Unlike the rest of the cast, she has no major flaws, so it's hard to write episodes about her.

Look at Rarity, for example. She's getting a bonding episode with Sweetie Belle, but AJ doesn't need an episode like that as she's already pretty much Ultimate-level Older Sibling.
One of the anounced up coming episode imply s that apple bloom may be getting her Cutie mark very soon.
Haha, no, that's not what's going to happen.
Spoiler
It's called Cutie Pox and the leaked discription goes:

Applebloom finally gets her Cutie Mark! But joy turns to panic as she gets a second, then a third, then a dozen cutie marks.
--
So no, that doesn't sound like she's going to actually get her Cutie Mark. By the end of the episode, I fully expect the status quo to be restored.
Excuse me, guess i didn't read it correctly. On your idea about applejack perfection, they could make an episode about how she can possibly braid her hair!! She's got no magic so how???!; no pony has shown the ability to manipulate stuff with their hooves to such detailed movements.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

after my comment this morning I got the following mental image:

Pony Shrink: So which ponys want to share?
TS: well I just don't know if I can actually manesure up to the standards everyone expects from me.
Luna: My sister abandoned me and I've spent the last thousand years all alone.
PS: well does an-neigh of the not-pony's have anything they want to share?
Azula: ALL MUST BURN!!!!, i miss my mommy, my daddy scares me
Luna: It's nice to have Azula over for parties, (finally someone that makes Luna seem normal)
Last edited by The Yosemite Bear on 2011-10-30 08:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:after my comment this morning I got the following mental image:

Pony Shrink: So which ponys want to share?
TS: well I just don't know if I can actually manesure up to the standards everyone expects from me.
Luna: My sister abandoned me and I've spent the last thousand years all alone.
PS: well does an-neigh of the not-pony's have anything they want to share?
Azula: ALL MUST BURN!!!!, i miss my mommy, my daddy scares me
Then TS pulls a knife on Azula saying: "shut up, im trying to learn!!!!!" (TS still has the bird's nest on her head)
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Heh, someone should make a fic of that - Luna and Twilight in group therapy.

@lordofchange13: Applejack's mane isn't braided, neither is her tail.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

evilsoup wrote:Heh, someone should make a fic of that - Luna and Twilight in group therapy.

@lordofchange13: Applejack's mane isn't braided, neither is her tail.
HOLY MOTHER OF THE ABYSS! this is not my night! the string always made it look like Apple was braided. I retract my imbecilic comment.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

BY CELESTIA'S BEARD! That's some seriously-impressive pumpkin-carving.

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Celestia with beard?!?!Image
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

lordofchange13 wrote:Celestia with beard?!?
Yes.

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

evilsoup wrote:
lordofchange13 wrote:Celestia with beard?!?
Yes.
Got to say, Twilight looks super badass!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Starglider wrote:
RogueIce wrote:If I could get rid of that The Hub watermark without making it look like crap, it'd be an instant desktop background for sure.
Here you go.
Starglider, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I salute thee! Image
evilsoup wrote:'Better than most kid's shows' is pretty much the definition of damning with faint praise. I'd actually say that this is one of my favourite shows on at the moment; it's certainly more consistently entertaining than (for example) Doctor Who.
Perhaps, though I guess it depends. For me, I include shows like Wolverine and the X-Men, Spectacular Spiderman, BTAS (and all of the DCAU) and so on under the term "kids shows". And MLP:FiM is definately up there with them in terms of entertainment, though it's obviously not a superhero show.
evilsoup wrote:If it were up to me, her change in physical form would be a deliberate choice for the same reason as her using the ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE in the latest episode - it would have been a way to cover up her own insecurities by hiding behind the shape of Nightmare Moon.
I have seen the opinion (maybe here, I don't remember) that the NMM form is her 'magic' form, and so when Nightmare Moon unleashed her power, she took on that form. Which is probably how she overpowered Celestia in the first place. Celestia may have such a form, but we've never seen her use it, as there's been no need.

I don't think that holds much water, though, unless the Magic Form doesn't really confer any increase in power/ability, as it's just something the sisters can do when they feel a need. Or an illusion of sorts, or heck just a more powerful form of Twilight's beard spell.
evilsoup wrote:Haha, no, that's not what's going to happen.
Spoiler
It's called Cutie Pox and the leaked discription goes:

Applebloom finally gets her Cutie Mark! But joy turns to panic as she gets a second, then a third, then a dozen cutie marks.
--
So no, that doesn't sound like she's going to actually get her Cutie Mark. By the end of the episode, I fully expect the status quo to be restored.
It's possible she'll get to keep it; I have enough faith in the show to not just totally hit the reset button. But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I also don't mind the CMCs either. "Sisterhooves Social" should help a little: as I understand it, people just get annoyed at them obsessing over Cutie Marks. Well, the upcoming episode seems like Sweetie Belle is more worried about her sister's acceptance than being a blank flank. It should be a good episode, I think.

I've been waiting for something like it for some time. While we did get a bit of sister dynamic in "Bridle Gossip" with AJ worrying over Apple Bloom, I think the best such moment was in the opening of "Owls Well That Ends Well" when the Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle climbed up on their sister's backs to watch the falling stars, very reminiscent of the way Twilight usually gives Spike a lift (and as the camera panned across, we see her doing exactly this for the baby dragon as well), and we've seen her Big Sister/Motherly dynamic with him. It was a very brief moment that was treated as nothing special, just something the older ponies would do for their little sisters.

Man, it's this show's skill at including those little touches that make me love it so much. It really goes a long way to making the characters feel real (well, as real as talking multicolored ponies can be) and handled with a nice subtlety rather than being in your face about it.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Thing is, each series needs to be viewable in any order (unless they've changed that recently; given the show's success I wouldn't be surprised if they were given more creative freedom); so the CMCs would have to get their Cutie Marks either at the beginning or the end of a series (or either the first or last episode in which they appear, in a given series). That's why I don't think they'll be getting their Cutie Marks in that upcoming episode.

And yeah, the lack of interaction between Rarity and Sweetie Belle is really weird. I think the only time they talk to each other in the first series is the beginning of Stare Master ... oh, and when Sweetie Belle steals some fabric in Showstoppers. Compare to AJ and Apple Bloom...

Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2 ... -point.jpg
evilsoup wrote:So you see, Applejack is the best pony.

However, she does have one major problem, and that is that she is practically perfect. Unlike the rest of the cast, she has no major flaws, so it's hard to write episodes about her.
Perfect for an Unterpony, maybe. :wink:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Is that a joke at the expense of Moonbase Alpha?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Skgoa wrote:http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2 ... -point.jpg

Is this a Doctor who reference?
The Yosemite Bear

lordofchange13 wrote:
Skgoa wrote:http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2 ... -point.jpg

Is this a Doctor who reference?
no the worst MLP/dr. Hoove refrence would involve Luna wearing a gas mask....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

evilsoup wrote:
And yeah, the lack of interaction between Rarity and Sweetie Belle is really weird. I think the only time they talk to each other in the first series is the beginning of Stare Master ... oh, and when Sweetie Belle steals some fabric in Showstoppers. Compare to AJ and Apple Bloom...
Whats weirder about AJ/AppleBloom and Sweetie Belle/Rarity for me. Is where are their parents?

And does Scootaloo even have any family at all?
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Sweetie Belle clearly doesn't live with Rarity (at least, we barely ever see her around Rarity's shop/house), so it's easy to say that she lives with their parents and they're just not mentioned. Same for Scootaloo.

The Apple family, OTOH... well, in the huge flashback episode, when little AJ leaves home for Manehatten, her parents aren't there. I think the standard fan-assumption is that they're dead (some people come up with excuses like 'they're off on some other Apple family farm a la Aaaapleoosa' but that doesn't explain why they weren't at the family reunion). Of course, this leads to some timeline problems WRT Apple Bloom (lol incest) - but then, it could be that the mother died in childbirth / shortly after (but that has the problem of AJ abandoning Big Macintosh and Granny Smith to look after both the farm and her new-born sister; but then, she was about eight at the time...). Of course, that leads to the problem of AJ not mentioning Apple Bloom when telling the story.

So they've kind of written themselves into a corner WRT the Apple family parents, unless they want to write an episode about growing up without parents (which I think could be a good idea for an episode; obviously it would upset the kids, but I'm of the opinion that it's good for childrens' programs to tackle weighty emotional issues occasionally). Or they can just ignore the established episodes and say 'well here are AJ's parents, back from a long trip' - but I'm willing to give them a little more credit than that.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmm. Maybe its like The Empty Child in Doctor Who. i.e) Apple Jack only claims to be Apple Bloom's big sister. But really its a shocking filly-pregnancy scandal.

Maybe AJ's flaws are not suitable for children's television. :P
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Zixinus wrote:Is that a joke at the expense of Moonbase Alpha?
Thanks for activating my trap card! :D

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Skgoa wrote:
Zixinus wrote:Is that a joke at the expense of Moonbase Alpha?
Thanks for activating my trap card! :D

*snip video*
...What the hell IS that?
I just clicked the link to show what it's taken from, and I still have no freaking clue. Fun with Astronauts and robovoice?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

evilsoup wrote:The Apple family, OTOH... well, in the huge flashback episode, when little AJ leaves home for Manehatten, her parents aren't there. I think the standard fan-assumption is that they're dead (some people come up with excuses like 'they're off on some other Apple family farm a la Aaaapleoosa' but that doesn't explain why they weren't at the family reunion).
Well, just to go crazy on speculation...

For the family reunion, when they panned out, it seemed that with the sole exception of Big MacIntosh, everypony there was female. So unless there is only a single male pony in the entire Apple family, it would seem that it wasn't a total family reunion. I mean granted, females seem to outnumber males anyway in Ponyville (if not Equestria as a whole) but they still should have some fathers somewhere in there. So AJ's parents could have been off somewhere else, in theory.

Why we still never see them at the family farm is a mystery. Unless Apple Bloom doesn't live on the farm herself? I can't recall if we've seen anything explicit either way. If we haven't, I suppose it could be that Big Mac mostly runs the farm with AJ (as she's adult-ish) and their parents have moved off or something with Apple Bloom. Don't know why Granny Smith still lives there, though. And it still does nothing to explain why, for instance, AJ and Big Mac's father never offered to help during "Applebuck Season" when Big Mac was out of action.

Unless they're complete absentee parents and have left Apple Bloom to be raised by her two siblings and Granny Smith. Which would be really weird.

The only (admittedly extremely reaching) theory I have is this: During the flashback, AJ's parents lived off the farm and hadn't had Apple Bloom yet. AJ, having reached The Age, had moved out from her parents to live there (IIRC, she did seem a bit older than the CMCs and other colts and fillies we normally see), though went to Manehatten and eventually came back. Then her parents had Apple Bloom but died somewhere in the interim and now Apple Bloom has moved to the farm early.

I'm pretty sure there are some holes in that theory I can't think of offhand...like looking at "Chronicles" she says she was littler than the Crusaders, so there goes that theory. :| And she only wondered what Granny Smith and Big Mac were doing, not her parents. Hmmm...

You know, I got nothin' on this. So unless the writers have a really amazing explanation up their sleeves, it's probably best they just ignore the issue.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

For all we know, Ponies don't need a biological father :wink:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Crazedwraith wrote:
evilsoup wrote:
Whats weirder about AJ/AppleBloom and Sweetie Belle/Rarity for me. Is where are their parents?

And does Scootaloo even have any family at all?
The school teacher is related to Scootaloo. if MLP is anything like anime, then the parents are all foreign diplomats
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Serafina wrote:For all we know, Ponies don't need a biological father :wink:
In the flashback for when Twilight got her mark, wasn't her mother and father their? Twilight did refer to them has her parents.
The Yosemite Bear

just so long as the suggestion isn't that Mackintosh is like Greebo from Diskworld