Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Game of Thrones Season 5 (TV ONLY)

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:Great episode but honestly, with the tactics the white walkers use - and with how they expose themselves - a few well-trained ballista crews should sort that problem out. If necessary, use obsidian bolts. I mean, Roman ballistae were accurate enough to pick off men who had cover of walls.
The White Walkers had excellent information that the Wildlings did not possess even one half trained ballista crew. Their wildlings... sure anyone can make siege equipment with pratice but that's something the Wildlings simply can't do.

And consider the pure psychological impact, those four riders drew every eye to the ridge line and away from the defenses.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Mr Bean wrote:
Thanas wrote:Great episode but honestly, with the tactics the white walkers use - and with how they expose themselves - a few well-trained ballista crews should sort that problem out. If necessary, use obsidian bolts. I mean, Roman ballistae were accurate enough to pick off men who had cover of walls.
The White Walkers had excellent information that the Wildlings did not possess even one half trained ballista crew. Their wildlings... sure anyone can make siege equipment with pratice but that's something the Wildlings simply can't do.
On the contrary, their giants are excellent crossbowmen, in effect walking ballistas. We saw that in the episode where they assaulted the wall - they were very accurate over 700 meters - accurate enough to hit single men - and there was nothing stopping the giant from doing the same here or just hurl massive stone bolts at them. Magic or not magic, you are going to get crushed from a ton of stone.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

http://imgur.com/a/OhxBA

Not as good as the previous ones.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Doesn't metal objects just get destroyed the second they touched the White Walkers?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ray245 wrote:Doesn't metal objects just get destroyed the second they touched the White Walkers?
Yeah it freezes and shatters. Which is why Obsidian tips are an option.
------------
------------
My LPs
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

To me it looked like they used the apparently artifical snowstorm to wipe out most of the wildlings and the entire battle was just picking off stragglers. I wonder if they will be able to use it against a castle. Burry the defenders on the walls under a few meters of snow and then strike.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Thanas wrote:
On the contrary, their giants are excellent crossbowmen, in effect walking ballistas. We saw that in the episode where they assaulted the wall - they were very accurate over 700 meters - accurate enough to hit single men - and there was nothing stopping the giant from doing the same here or just hurl massive stone bolts at them. Magic or not magic, you are going to get crushed from a ton of stone.
Problem being that as far as we've seen they have exactly one giant left alive at this point.
Kane Starkiller wrote:To me it looked like they used the apparently artifical snowstorm to wipe out most of the wildlings and the entire battle was just picking off stragglers. I wonder if they will be able to use it against a castle. Burry the defenders on the walls under a few meters of snow and then strike.
Whatever the ice cloud cover was it didn't appear to leave behind any snow. I think the theory that the masses were killed by more conventional means makes the most sense. The wildlings may have scattered away from the door once it was shut to try and find an alternate means of escape. When the Thenn looked through the eye hole we could still hear distant screams.

Actually watching the scene again, it looks like what they may actually have done was trigger an avalanche that kicked up a lot of snow and created cover as the zombies rolled in and killed everyone (2:33).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjGbIZIQl7E

Compare to this video of a real life avalanche:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlBnG21Yd7c

Obviously triggering an avalanche doesn't require advanced magical properties (an army of wights coming down a mountain could do that), so we may be ascribing too much credit to the WW's here in terms of controlling the weather...
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Terralthra wrote:
Pelranius wrote:Richard Brake played Darth Maul and Joe Chill (Batman Begins).

Speaking off GoT actors in other series, Ripper Street is quite a hoot for that. :twisted:
In what universe do you live? Darth Maul was played by Ray Park.
Bugger, how did I mix that up?!

Something just popped up. Going back to Episode 7, why didn't Cersei bring any Kingsguards along when visiting Margeary (granted, the HS probably won't like her bringing any guards in)?

Funny that apparently we saw one of the "13" White Walkers, but none of the armorless White Walkers from Season Two.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Okay so I was thinking about this season and the end of season 3(? it was season 3 that the red wedding happened right?) and the lack of the return of Cat the vengeful zombie princess.

First of all I think Sansa is going to fulfill Cat's role but she'll do it from a purely revenge based point of view as she won't actually get killed. The entire bolton clan will be slaughtered save Ramsay's baby that, lets face it, Sansa is probably carrying by this point. Which of course would give the revived Stark house direct claim over the Bolton's territories.

PS also Does anyone here think that all the northern houses have even the slightest interest in remaining loyal to the Boltons after the brutal treatment they've received at the hands of the flayed banner? I wouldn't be surprised if Stannis's army balloons with troops still loyal to house Stark as he marches to Winterfell.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Speaking of the Northern Houses, how close is Stannis going to march to the Last Hearth, and the Umbers?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Pelranius wrote:Something just popped up. Going back to Episode 7, why didn't Cersei bring any Kingsguards along when visiting Margeary (granted, the HS probably won't like her bringing any guards in)?
I don't think she routinely goes around with guards in the Keep itself, does she? They seem to follow the King around but not sure about her. And she was probably feeling overconfident anyway.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

RogueIce wrote:
Pelranius wrote:Something just popped up. Going back to Episode 7, why didn't Cersei bring any Kingsguards along when visiting Margeary (granted, the HS probably won't like her bringing any guards in)?
I don't think she routinely goes around with guards in the Keep itself, does she? They seem to follow the King around but not sure about her. And she was probably feeling overconfident anyway.
But Cersei is regularly followed by at least Lannister soldiers and/or Kingsguards. So yeah, their abscence is a bit of a plothole.
------------
------------
My LPs
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Thanas wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
But Cersei is regularly followed by at least Lannister soldiers and/or Kingsguards. So yeah, their abscence is a bit of a plothole.
Oh. Well guess I wasn't paying enough attention. Maybe the Faith Militant forbid them? I don't know.

Either way I don't much care because seeing Cersai locked up is more than worth it. :angelic:
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Thanas wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
They do typically follow her on the street, but their absence at her capture is easily explained away. It's pretty clear that she felt perfectly safe with the High Sparrow, and the two had spoke together numerous times before without guards being in the same room. Its likely they weren't far away, but they were still unable to do anything given the situation.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Geez, the one time she decides not to get paranoid.

Going back to that Episode 1 Dorne box with Myrcella's necklace, anyone think that its a fake (and Myrcella still has her necklace, leading Jaime find out in Episode 9)?
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Uh oh, it's the second-to-last episode and we all know what that means, don't we?

Name characters are going to die horribly. Let's see who the most likely candidates are with chance of death listed as a percentage:

Jaime: He's caught red-handed trying to scuttle a royal wedding by abducting the bride who, thanks to Cersei's stupidity, is pretty well confirmed to be his incest daughter/niece. He's a broken man and not just because of his missing hand. Even in a best case scenario where he's allowed to take his daughter/niece home, they'll be returning to a family so ruined that their lives will have the shelf life of raw, unrefrigerated chicken: 50%

Marcella: Chekhov's Gun is mentioned first, then shown firing. Martin's Gun is mentioned, cocked, loaded and has an itchy finger on the trigger, then goes off. Between all of Cersei's yammering about how much she LOOOOOOVES her kids (by the way, rats are also devoted to their young -it doesn't make you special) and that flashback with the witch, the way Marcella is presented as another dippy teenager like Sansa in Season One and worst of all, the fact that Marcella and her fiancee are such a cute couple and seem to be in love... She's a goner -either dead or worse: 100%

Bronn: Jaime's accomplice -I was sure he was done for when they showed the scratch and even though he was saved the prettiest of the Sand Snakes in a classic example of Tits Ex Machina, he's not out of the woods yet.

For one thing, he did strike the prince and that alone might cost him his head. Bronn is promised a better lady and better castle by Jaime but even though his fangirl gave him the antidote, it looks like he won't live long enough to get either: 70%

Elaria Sand: The head honcho of Dorne is in a pickle. He wants his son married to Marcella, but the bride might just be more trouble than she's worth and not just because she could be declared a bastard in Cersei's trial. Not one but two attempts have been made to abduct her, leading to combat in the palace itself. Were it not for Jamie and Bronn, the Sand Snakes might have either injured or killed the prince in their kidnapping scheme, seeing as how he was willing to draw his sword to defend his fiancee. Doran (and more importantly, Martin) didn't introduce the huge bodyguard/headsman and his huge Lochaber axe just for show. Paraphrasing Shakespeare, soon that blade will be steaming with noble blood: 20%

Doran: Or the blade will steam with Doran's blood: 20%

The Snakes: If Doran has Elaria killed, he'll have to chop them too: 20%

Tommen: He has VICTIM written all over him, especially with his mom's flashback. If his sister buys it this week, he'll probably buy it in the last episode, followed by his mother: 40%

Cersei: The only thing that can save her is if her fundie cousin meets with an accident before he can testify or if ecclesiastical courts allow trial by combat and Frankenmountain can fight for her. If her kids die this week, bye bye Cersei next week. She'll be like Margaret of Anjou -her line wiped out, her name ruined and no friends or family to help her: 10% if she beats the rap, but 100% if the kids die.

Pycelle: I get the feeling he's going to argue with Gargamel about his use of Frankenmountain and will be in the words of Boris Karloff, the first victim of "The Monstha": 20%

Jorah: Sir Friend Zone has already pushed his luck once too often. Turning up like bad penny again? Daneris almost has to kill him, of course with much sobbing: 90%

I would give odds for other characters in this part of the show but once again the Dragon Mom storyline bores the piss out of me. No, seriously: I usually go to the bathroom during her scenes.

Theon: How I wished his big sister had put the poor bastard out of his misery! 0%

Sansa: I was hoping she'd rise up from her sorry lot in life but apparently her character arc is patterned after the Book of Job. 0%

The Boltons: Zero... point... zero!

Brienne and Podrick: I forgot they were still around. They might not be if they cross Gordon Ramsay Bolton's raiding party: 20%

Stannis: His army is dying and deserting in the snow. His mistress wants him to be Agamemnon and sacrifice his own daughter for success in battle. His wife is just batshit enough to do it if he doesn't. Oh, and I'm not sure if Davos was pardoned or just given a stay last season.

Stannis: 0%
Red Witch: 0%
Wife: 10%
Daughter: 80%
Davos: 20%

I'm worried for Sam & Gilly & Little Sam -and Ghost for that matter. I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have even when Jon was around to stick up for them. With Amon gone, they're alone (Is it true he's the only character to die of natural causes on the show?). Were it not for Sam being Martin's Gary Stu, I'd rate his chance of dying pretty damned high. As it stands: 30% for the Tarley family.

Thormond Giantbane: He killed Ollie's family and Ollie doesn't look like he's the forgive and forget sort. He already shot Jon's girlfriend and showed him a fist pump after he killed her, so having Jon around won't stop him from putting an arrow in another redheaded Wildling: Either Ollie or Tormund is not long for this world: 90%

Jon deserves to die for being such a fucking dumbass with the obsidian -losing all the pieces he brought with him- but his chances of dying are zero.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Elfdart wrote:<snip>Chekhov's Gun is mentioned first, then shown firing. Martin's Gun is mentioned, cocked, loaded and has an itchy finger on the trigger, then goes off.<snip>
*whistles innocently*
Crown wrote:Checkov's Ollie has been primed by Sam which I'm totally sure isn't going to bite anyone on the arse ... :roll:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

RogueIce wrote:Poor Jorah. :(

Well ok, I can see Tyrion's logic there, and while he did prevent Jorah from being killed I can see why he wouldn't enthusiastically endorse him for Dany's court. But still, I like him and hope to see him live. Preferably back at Dany's side...somehow.

And damn, those Wildling women who are reasonable to Jon Snow just can't catch a break, can they?
We've had a couple of firsts this season: Master Amon died peacefully of natural causes, and the Wildling chief was (a) under the age of 50 (b) attractive (c) had more than two lines of dialogue and (d) didn't show her boobs. It was quite shocking. But then, it was pretty cold, they never had time and most importantly she was dead/undead the instant she told her kids she'd be right after them. Too bad, she was pretty cool -the kiss of death in this show. I'm still not over Yoren from Season 2.

:banghead:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Crown wrote:
Elfdart wrote:<snip>Chekhov's Gun is mentioned first, then shown firing. Martin's Gun is mentioned, cocked, loaded and has an itchy finger on the trigger, then goes off.<snip>
*whistles innocently*
Crown wrote:Checkov's Ollie has been primed by Sam which I'm totally sure isn't going to bite anyone on the arse ... :roll:
Everyone I know is convinced Ollie is going to whack Jon or Sam/Gilly if they get in his. I think he's going to plug Tormund because he mentioned him as someone he hates. Or maybe Ollie will take whay Sam and Jon told him to heart and save his arrows for the wights.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Or he'll try to fuck with Tormund and get his face smashed in. Ollie isn't exactly a trained fighter, I imagine that Tormund has fought enough people that Ollie would be very little threat to him.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Thormund was a great warrior and then he took an arrow to the chest.
------------
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

When asked to describe the episode my cousin sent me this
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Four table flips a new record. Can't watch it until I get home, good times.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Is it too much to hope that they follow the story of Iphigenia to its every detail?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well, Stannis can go fuck himself now. All hail Queen Daenerys Targaryen!

Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

RogueIce wrote:Well, Stannis can go fuck himself now. All hail Queen Daenerys Targaryen!
Didn't Jorah just touch her?