Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion (book spoilers included)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Re: Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion (book spoilers inclu

Post by SCRawl »

But can sowing chaos really be his ultimate goal? It seems to me that it can only be a means to an end, and that end has to be someone other than the current administration running Westeros. Either that or anarchy, and how could he possibly benefit from that?
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Thanas wrote:He wants to sow chaos, no better way than to make the ruling dynasty look like a bunch of murdering assholes. Even better if they kill Tyrion, who many people remember as the real hero of the blackwater.
By Many you mean... Ser Garlan and Ser Balon Swann? I can't remember anyone else crediting Tyrion with anyone.
A lot of people saw him fight and lead the fight.
Varys is a Targaryen loyalist apparently. Though it depends how genuine you think the 'Aegon' in Dance of Dragons. My thoughts are not very since him being real would retroactively make Dany's chapters even more pointless.
It would be a great irony if the creator of the web of lies would be himself caught by an even bigger lie.

SCRawl wrote:But can sowing chaos really be his ultimate goal? It seems to me that it can only be a means to an end, and that end has to be someone other than the current administration running Westeros. Either that or anarchy, and how could he possibly benefit from that?
By producing enough chaos that people will flock to the banners of the new Targaryen prince come to reclaim her homeland. And it is not just pure chaos. He systematically eliminates everyone who can be a good leader or a threat to this goal. It is really very smart what he does.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

So chaos is not the ultimate goal, or more precisely, it is the goal of this penultimate phase of the overall plan. He wants chaos because chaos means the "usurpers" can't hold Westeros when the last phase -- the arrival of the "legitimate" heir to the throne -- begins.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

SCRawl wrote:So chaos is not the ultimate goal, or more precisely, it is the goal of this penultimate phase of the overall plan. He wants chaos because chaos means the "usurpers" can't hold Westeros when the last phase -- the arrival of the "legitimate" heir to the throne -- begins.
Yeah. Just look at what he manages to accomplish. Before the current troubles, there were several noble houses. Now, when FakeAegon arrives?

House Lannister: All competent people are either dead, in hiding, or currently fighting a rebellion. The house went from one of the richest to being nearly bankrupt. People hate it even more than before and they have to deal with religious fanatics as well.
House Stark: Utterly ruined, with its territory being ravaged and everybody currently fighting everyone. The successor house, Bolton, is also in deep trouble in the north.
House Tyrell: Tinged by Lannister association, run by a fool and more occupied with marriage politics than doing anything else. Oh, and their most promising strategist and fighter just got roasted by oil and boiling water, so he is out of action for a looong time. Meanwhile, Margary might very easily be pursuaded to ditch Tommen for fakeAegon if necessary.
House Dorne: Lost their prince and are in general very weak.
House Tully: Ruined. Territory occupied by lannister forces. Head of house a captive of the Freys. Currently have a Lannister army ravaging the countryside.
House Arryn: Head of house captured by a pretender who is hated by everyone. Civil war incoming among them.
House Baratheon: Split in two, one half being Lannisters, the other currently freezing in the north. Lost their base of power to Tyrell forces, who might be unable to hold on to it.

The only one who would currently be able to oppose a determined rebellion would be Jaimie but he is not a leader of men due to his reputation. He also lacks the means.

That is an impressive track record - nearly everybody is neutralized or otherwise engaged.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Aside from the Lannisters' woes, little of that can be attributed to Varys. Most of it is the fault of the war which littlefinger started.

Oh and its House Martell, not House Dorne.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Crazedwraith wrote:Aside from the Lannisters' woes, little of that can be attributed to Varys. Most of it is the fault of the war which littlefinger started.
Sure, but he sure as hell has prevented the situation from getting better. And with Littlefinger out of the immediate picture...
------------
------------
My LPs
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Aside from the Lannisters' woes, little of that can be attributed to Varys. Most of it is the fault of the war which littlefinger started.
Sure, but he sure as hell has prevented the situation from getting better. And with Littlefinger out of the immediate picture...
What Varys did in the book was more covering for Danny. In the show the telegraph office keeps them up to date to the minute but in the books when Robert dies it takes two hundred pages of Danny to hear anything time and again. And Varys is constantly lowballing the information he recieves via Illyrio and his other contacts to the small council.

While Varys does not do much to directly damage the houses, what he does do is keep them on edge and keep the Queen stirred up pretty much 24/7. There's a good bet he knows a great deal of most of the plots in the show like who killed Joffery but says nothing so Tyrion is forced to take his deal. He never acts directly except for a handful of times... and one of them involving a crossbow.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

The thing I find intersting is Vary's supposed Targaryen loyalism, considering his story. What does he have to gain, I wonder?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Spekio wrote:The thing I find intersting is Vary's supposed Targaryen loyalism, considering his story. What does he have to gain, I wonder?
Peace
Stability
And a proven dynasty in his eyes. Keep in mind Varys efforts with Young Griff. To make a king not to breed one. To provide the sort of balance upbringing the right life experiences and training to make a good king rather than hope for breeding to create one. Dany is simply a means of legitimizing Young Griff by having a Targ marry another Targ.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Spekio wrote:The thing I find intersting is Vary's supposed Targaryen loyalism, considering his story. What does he have to gain, I wonder?
There is a theory that Varys is a
Spoiler
Blackfyre, and therefore a Targaryen himself
and this is what motivates him.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Thanas wrote:He wants to sow chaos, no better way than to make the ruling dynasty look like a bunch of murdering assholes. Even better if they kill Tyrion, who many people remember as the real hero of the blackwater.
By Many you mean... Ser Garlan and Ser Balon Swann? I can't remember anyone else crediting Tyrion with anyone.

Varys is a Targaryen loyalist apparently. Though it depends how genuine you think the 'Aegon' in Dance of Dragons. My thoughts are not very since him being real would retroactively make Dany's chapters even more pointless.
This will be a kind of squicky idea, but pretty consistent with the Targaryen MO... But Danny needs a king and Aegon would need a queen.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Huh? Did I misread the DWD epilogue? I thought it was pretty clear that Varys wanted peace and stability in the realm regardless of loyalty, which is why he supported Tyrion when it looked like he could provide that.

Killing Kevan Lannister was explicitly stated to be part of a plot to throw the realm into chaos, driving the realm into the arms of Aegon, who would provide peace.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

SCRawl wrote:
There is a theory that Varys is a
Spoiler
Blackfyre, and therefore a Targaryen himself
and this is what motivates him.
I'm coming around to that theory myself.
Spoiler
They always said that they were the real Targaryens.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Spoiler
I don't think Varys is a Targaryen or Blackfyre, but the Young Griff could certainly be a Blackfyre descendant if what I suspect is his real mother (Illyrio's late wife) was a Blackfyre descendant. Not that I think it matters too much, since he's pretty clearly set up as fraudulent with the "Mummer's Dragon" prophecy - he might just be a total Perkin Warbeck type of character.

As for Varys, I think it's a mixture of "for the realm" attitude alongside him and Illyrio trying to pull off the biggest "long con" possible after a long history of pulling them off together. We know that he thinks power is just where people think it sits, so if people think that Fake-Aegon is a real Targaryen and he rules like a good king, then he might as well be a real Targaryen (obviously not true when you consider the magical side of things, but what Varys might be thinking).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Spoiler
As a friend of mine likes to point out, the man may not have the eyes but he presumably keeps his head shaven for a reason...

It also adds a new dimension to the story of how he got castrated. Lots of people have dicks. There's nothing rare about those. King's blood on the other hand...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think he truly wants stability. The Targaryens, despite all their madness, provided that for millennia. Thus, why not go with the proven line?
------------
------------
My LPs
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Thanas wrote:
I think he truly wants stability. The Targaryens, despite all their madness, provided that for millennia. Thus, why not go with the proven line?
300 years. The Targaryen rule was 300 years long, and was certainly not all peace and stability (what with the Dance of Dragons and whatnot).
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sorry about the date, must have forgotten something.

Still, 300 years of the Kings only harming themselves or a small fraction of the populace sure beats what is going on now.
------------
------------
My LPs
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Thanas wrote:Sorry about the date, must have forgotten something.

Still, 300 years of the Kings only harming themselves or a small fraction of the populace sure beats what is going on now.
This is not the first time I've thought that while three centuries might be a good run for a real-life Chinese dynasty it seems pretty damned short for the magical dragon people from Valyria. Especially when compared to how far back Westerosi history as a whole seems to go.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is not as if they did not suffer setbacks mostly related to dragons, heck their most promising king and his line got extinguished in dragon chaos.
------------
------------
My LPs
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Thanas wrote:Sorry about the date, must have forgotten something.

There were periods of peace, but a couple really bad civil wars that affected most of the people in Westeros. Spoiler
The excerpts we've got from the World of Ice and Fire book show that Maegor's suppression of the militant Faith was more or less a civil war
, the Dance of Dragons was incredibly bloody and devastating, and the main Blackfyre Rebellion was another big civil war.
Ralin wrote:This is not the first time I've thought that while three centuries might be a good run for a real-life Chinese dynasty it seems pretty damned short for the magical dragon people from Valyria. Especially when compared to how far back Westerosi history as a whole seems to go.
Once they lost the dragons, they pretty much just became another Major House, with only the Crownlands, tradition, and allegiances with other Houses to keep them in power (their royal institutions were weaker than IRL medieval Kings, probably because they relied on dragon power and marriages to keep them strong beforehand). They were probably going to lose the Throne eventually with all the crazy people that pop up in the Targaryen line, I think.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Spoiler
I don't think Varys is a Targaryen or Blackfyre, but the Young Griff could certainly be a Blackfyre descendant if what I suspect is his real mother (Illyrio's late wife) was a Blackfyre descendant. Not that I think it matters too much, since he's pretty clearly set up as fraudulent with the "Mummer's Dragon" prophecy - he might just be a total Perkin Warbeck type of character.

As for Varys, I think it's a mixture of "for the realm" attitude alongside him and Illyrio trying to pull off the biggest "long con" possible after a long history of pulling them off together. We know that he thinks power is just where people think it sits, so if people think that Fake-Aegon is a real Targaryen and he rules like a good king, then he might as well be a real Targaryen (obviously not true when you consider the magical side of things, but what Varys might be thinking).
This, yeah. Getting life-partner Illyrio's kid, trained in Good King Skillz by Varys, on the iron throne is the closest Varys can come to getting his own kid on it, having some sort of positive legacy in the world, etc.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I wonder if Melisandre will try to burn both Shireen and Rickon? Selyse is certainly addle headed enough to go along with it.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Pelranius wrote:I wonder if Melisandre will try to burn both Shireen and Rickon? Selyse is certainly addle headed enough to go along with it.
If Melisandre can get ahold of Rickon long enough to burn him she deserves to, given what Rickon's storyline is shaping up to be.
SCRawl

Post by SCRawl »

Ralin wrote:
Pelranius wrote:I wonder if Melisandre will try to burn both Shireen and Rickon? Selyse is certainly addle headed enough to go along with it.
If Melisandre can get ahold of Rickon long enough to burn him she deserves to, given what Rickon's storyline is shaping up to be.
We haven't seen Rickon since he split with Bran south of the Wall. Did I miss something about his storyline?