The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:Hmmmm. <searches>

It's Niu.
Jeez. There's a wiki for everything isn't there?

I don't much like this one. Aside from that last panel. Which is genius as far as I'm concerned. Words Belkar once used facetiously are now being used arrow straight from Niu.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

We heard, many panels back, of how the guy who steals the bread and oppresses their fellow prisoners usually end up dead. Now... are they going to play it straight or subvert it? Is this how Belkar will die 'within a year'?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

LadyTevar wrote:We heard, many panels back, of how the guy who steals the bread and oppresses their fellow prisoners usually end up dead. Now... are they going to play it straight or subvert it? Is this how Belkar will die 'within a year'?
I find myself wishing for more fingers so I could cross 'em. He needs to be pointedly reminded that evil doesn't pay, in the long run, especially in a world running on narrativium.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

If he does get his comeuppance, his reaction will probably be the same as Tarquin's. Sure, the last ten minutes sucked but the stuff before was awesome!
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

LadyTevar wrote:We heard, many panels back, of how the guy who steals the bread and oppresses their fellow prisoners usually end up dead. Now... are they going to play it straight or subvert it? Is this how Belkar will die 'within a year'?
I was wondering that. I'm also thinking whenver he does die, its going to be in a way that was easily preventable by Roy and the only reason he'll die is that Roy knows about the prophecy which will make him hesitate long enough for Belkar to kick the bucket. Cue crisis of conscience.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It took far to long for me to realise 'they followed his lead' is a pune or play on words.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I think it might be a funnier choice to have Belkar not die yet, but instead curbstomp the guy who wants to avenge his friends for justice and all that.

Offscreen. We just see the bloody aftermath.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Climhazzard
Redshirt

Post by Climhazzard »

780 is up.

I remember talking about this with my D&D group. This is the reason why commoners have Handle Animal and keep dogs.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Climhazzard wrote:780 is up.

I remember talking about this with my D&D group. This is the reason why commoners have Handle Animal and keep dogs.
Well, hell, isn't the cat technically an Animal Companion now, anyway? That would give it at least a minor power boost, if I remember correctly.
Really, though...poor guy. I expected them to at least send a Fighter after Belkar.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

besides don't house cats do something like 20 points of damage a round?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:besides don't house cats do something like 20 points of damage a round?
They get 2 claws and a bite, for 1d4+1 and d3+1. That means minimum damage from a cat is 6, and 1st level commoners only have 8 hp.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:besides don't house cats do something like 20 points of damage a round?
Commoners have 4 hp plus con at first level. Con will generally be 8-10, so 3-4 hp. AC will be 9 or 10. Their Attack Bonus is 0 or +1
Cats have three attacks per round (two at +4, 1 and -1), and an AC of 14.

This means a Cat will be able to hit the commoner on a 6 with two chances to hit, and 11 on one chance to hit per round.
Due to damage the cat will need to land 3-4 attacks.

The commoner gets one chance per round to hit a 14 or higher.
Due to damage the commoner will need to land 1-2 attacks.

As such, yes, the common household cat is a serious threat to life and limb to your average DnD commoner, even before one considers the animals insane bonuses to hide and move silently thanks to their size and stealthy trait.

The above stats from d20srd.org since it's been awhile since I looked this up.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Add on to that the common house cat does 1d2 -4 damage and a bite of 1d3-4 meaning a house cat with a full attack can do a possible 3 damage (All attacks deal at least 1 damage in D&D so 1d2 -4 is always at least 1) to a human commoner at 1st level, a crit on any of those three rolls that's an extra damage roll for a possible 4th point of damage so a level 1 hours cat under typical circumstances can expect to do 1 to 5 points of damage in a round to any typical 1st level human commoner.

Except as a ranger animal companion (If our kitty is one) it would get from the halfings level +4 HD and +2 to str/dex bringing his attack scores up to +8 with ranger level advancements meaning he hits the commoner on a roll of 2 or better.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Mr Bean wrote:Add on to that the common house cat does 1d2 -4 damage and a bite of 1d3-4 meaning a house cat with a full attack can do a possible 3 damage (All attacks deal at least 1 damage in D&D so 1d2 -4 is always at least 1) to a human commoner at 1st level, a crit on any of those three rolls that's an extra damage roll for a possible 4th point of damage so a level 1 hours cat under typical circumstances can expect to do 1 to 5 points of damage in a round to any typical 1st level human commoner.

Except as a ranger animal companion (If our kitty is one) it would get from the halfings level +4 HD and +2 to str/dex bringing his attack scores up to +8 with ranger level advancements meaning he hits the commoner on a roll of 2 or better.
In other words, yes we're geeks, why do you ask? :lol:
The Yosemite Bear

it could be worse, it could have been a fish from Dwarf Fortress....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

A first level commoner has like ZERO chance of beating even a 1st-level PC in melee combat anyway, much less a shoeless god of war like Belkar.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I thought that as an NPC class commoners didn't get max HP at first level, so they'd only have between one and four HP.

I think I once saw someone complaining about how a cat could kill a first level commoner, but to be perfectly honest if I got in a fight with one of my cats I don't know that I'd win. :oops:
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Scottish Ninja wrote:I thought that as an NPC class commoners didn't get max HP at first level, so they'd only have between one and four HP.

I think I once saw someone complaining about how a cat could kill a first level commoner, but to be perfectly honest if I got in a fight with one of my cats I don't know that I'd win. :oops:
Win? Probably not. Have it kill you? Almost certainly not.
Grand Moff Tim
Redshirt

Post by Grand Moff Tim »

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Grand Moff Tim wrote:781 Up
Its not just 4chan, EVERYONE loves cats!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Yosemite Bear

evil cat, pets feline overlord

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I, for one, welcome our new feline overlords.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Aww, is this a foreshadowing of Belkar's death? A sweet emotional moment right before he dies, well, as sweet as it can get with Belkar.

Also, I heard there is some sort of history with 4chan and cats. Namely, they went after someone who wasn't good to the little cute fuzzballs. Is that true?
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Yep. Really good way to piss off Anon is to film yourself abusing a cat. As I recall, they determined the guy's name and address from details in the video within hours and then called the police.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, 4chan is Belkar? Suddenly a lot of things make a lot of sense.