Watchmen. [SPOILERS!]

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: Watchmen. [SPOILERS!]

Post by Majin Gojira »

Molyneux wrote:No, no, I mean that Alan Moore was showing off his own cartoonish supervillainy.
"He crossed the line from ordinary, everyday villainy to cartoonish supervillainy."

Sorry, I had to do it.
I am not fond of that scene...largely because I am fond of Hollis.
To quote Joss Whedon "And that's why he had to die."

It's a things a lot of writers do, and they're not going to stop anytime soon. They make you care about a character for the specific purpose of effecting the reader by killing them off. This is often done to emphasize a point the writer wants to make.

I stopped begruding writers killing off characters for that reason a long time ago. Especially when its done well.

Compare pretty much every Teen Titan death in the last 3-4 years and you can see where Hollis/Alan Moore succeeds and the other fail miserably.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That feeling you have is why it's effective literature. You're SUPPOSED to be shocked and outraged that an elderly pillar of the community who has fallen on hard times has been killed in an ignorant attack by violent gangs due to his association with masked vigilantism. Moore made Mason an actual person, who had a career, motives, wrote a book (with his own homophobic, authoritarian attitudes), had enemies and friends, and was killed in a case of mistaken identity.

You know why?

BECAUSE NOTHING EVER ENDS.

Oh shit parallel narratives in Watchmen???
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

itt nerds rage against good writing

itt the reasons for the fantasy and sci fi cesspool is laid bare

Oh, Stark, why must you always say what I otherwise would only think? I want to go back to the old days when I didn't care to discern actual quality.

(ps those last two sentences were just there so that there would be some grammar and punctuation in a non-Testing post. may or may not accurately summarize my opinions re Stark)