Batman v Superman - Now with spoilers and plot discussion!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Re: Batman v Superman - Official Thread

Post by SCRawl »

Batman wrote:If Tony can build himself a hulkbuster, who says I can't build myself something that can stands up to Clark? Besides, 'world of cardboard'. Could be that just as in the comics he habitually pulls his punches.
The me vs everybody fight at the start was awesome, and Jeremy Irons as Alfred worked quite well I think.
Hulkbuster is probably on the order of twice Hulk's mass, and still can't match Hulk's strength. A man-sized version shouldn't be able to get within an order of magnitude of Hulk's strength, never mind Superman's.

On the other hand, as Batman has suggested, it seems unlikely that Superman was actually trying to throw a punch at anything close to his full strength. Doing that would turn a human into a sticky mess, so perhaps his armour can match up favourably with Superman throwing a love tap its way. Certainly it couldn't be meant to go toe-to-toe with a Kryptonian who's trying his best.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Perhaps in this continuity an effect of kryptonite is that it makes Superman less godlike in his powers? So if Batman gets some, he can plug it into his suit and have at it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I had forgotten about the quick cut to the obvious kryptonite-stuff in the older trailer. And I hope that's it. All due respect to comic book logic, I have less trouble with "kryptonian thing that de-powers kryptonians" than with "Batman rants about the danger of a single person having god-like powers, builds armour with comparable godlike powers".
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

My hype train is approaching bullet velocity for this movie. One week out, I'm binge watching Smallville, Batman TAS, listening to Man of Steel soundtrack at work and devouring all official publicity stills.

Some goodies from reddit;

Hi-Res pictures from this thread.

And it turns out, the glasses are more than enough of a good disguise, who knew?

CHOO-CHOO all aboard the hype train! CHOO-CHOO!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I've seen the film, and this is my No spoilers! take.

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was a great change of pace to what has become routine superhero storytelling.

In this film they deal with some pretty serious implications of superherodom, as was promised in the early trailers ( and is being hashed out in another thread here about policing superfolk ). The film isn't humourless - there are jokes and wisecracks, but they are sprinkled carefully throughout and they work.

The superhero fight scenes are the best superhero fight scenes I have ever seen. This is what it looks like when gods fight.

I am very interested in the future of the DCCU.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That was an incredibly awesome film. I don't know how to say more without being spoilery.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

One question: is seeing Man of Steel especially important, or can you hop right in comfortably?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

One of my friends who went with me had not seen Man of Steel and he didn't seem bothered or confused by anything.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

I'll be giving it a pass, on a whole the trailers hadn't given much dimension to batman and superman save the action, also why did they reveal doomsday? They very thing whose iconic gesture was killing superman, by having him there not only does it make the whole batman vs superman meaningless (you see them two paired with wonderwoman against doomsday at one point!) but it gives away to what will happen and I bet good money superman kicks the can because someone in their right mind decided we should throw in the 'last boss' of the fight into this.

I felt they revealed far too much to where its not selling me the idea that I should see it when they pretty much given me the story entirely. Reviews haven't been encouraging...

Also I'm not a fan of jesse's lex and don't think I can sit through 2 hours of that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm glad to see all these positive comments- I'd be reading that the film was getting negative reviews and was starting to worry DC had fucked up big time.

But if this is the kind of film that fans will love and critics will hate, that's another matter altogether.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Oh. My. God.

Look, I'll be upfront; I love MoS and this movie was fucking better than it. I am legitimately baffled by why the critics are hating on it. Oh and Snyder uses sound like a weapon, so your ears will be fucking ringing when you leave the cinema.

I'm going to see it again over the long weekend. Thank you WB and the Snyders, thank you!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The Romulan Republic wrote:They seem to be setting up Batman as a xenophobic villain. Can't say I like that.
It's hardly like me being paranoid is unprecedented in the comics and let's face it, especially without the other supers to balance him out, Clark is potentially a huge problem we don't have a solution for.
I do like that they're getting into the social/political implications of Superman's existence.
And how much time do you think they'll actually spend on that with me, Clark, Diana, Arthur and Doomsday in the movie?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

A lot more than you'd imagine.

Just saw the film, enjoyed it immensely. Might see it again, I don't know, I'll be behind the counter for most of the weekend.
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'll be going on Tuesday if I can, I think.

Hopefully the opening crowds will have thinned out a bit by Tuesday afternoon.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'll probably see it on saturday. I'm cautiously optimistic - Man of Steel came in for a lot of hate, but I mostly enjoyed it even if it had problems. I'm expecting something similar with happen here, so I'm going in with an attempt at being open-minded.

I think it helps that I know basically nothing about any of these characters' comic book storylines. The only thing I know Batman from is the cartoon and the movies.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Crown wrote:Oh. My. God.
I entirely concur. After the first five or so minutes I knew I was in for some absolute screen magic.

I can't think of a Marvel film this good.

- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

How would you say it compares to Nolan's Batman trilogy, as that is for me the pinnacle of filmed DC?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:How would you say it compares to Nolan's Batman trilogy, as that is for me the pinnacle of filmed DC?
It's not even good enough to lick Nolan's boots. Everything good about the Nolan's movies is missing from this movie. The only thing it does better at is action scenes.

If anyone had a problem with Nolan's editing, just wait till you see this movie. Some of the individual scenes are nice on their own, but they are cut together that makes no coherent sense. More importantly, it was not written/cut together to form a basic story which people could understand, or more importantly, immerse themselves in.

There's no sense of drama or tension in this movie. There's nothing in this movie that makes you fear what would happened if the bad guys win. It's even worse than MoS in this regard.

I fear the worse for the upcoming Justice League movie.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

What was hard to follow?

- George Carlin
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Gandalf wrote:What was hard to follow?
It's not hard to follow, which is why some people still feel that there is a story happening in this movie. My issue is the scenes are too underdeveloped and too often out of place to have an impact.

Some of the flashback scenes for example, makes you wonder why they are there in the first place. While they did not make the movie harder to follow, it does make you wonder why they are there in the first place.

The movie feels like a 2 hour summary video of 4-5 DC movies cut together by some fan on youtube. You can get a sense of where the "story" is going, but it doesn't draw you into it as a movie should have.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I just want to make one thing clear; this movie does have flaws. Some are spot on stated in this thread, others are blown out of proportion. There are 30mins missing from this movie, and it's obviously hurting the way the movie is 'knit' together.

But I just don't care. It's simple as that to me. The acting was spot motherfucking on. Holy Hunter, Jesse, Batfleck, Cav-ill, Adams, Gadot and et al were just hitting it out of the fucking park.

Seeing the trinity on screen gave me a nerdgasm I never thought I'd experience in my life. I'm seeing this again today, tomorrow and the day after that.

My only criticism about this; I want a proper Superman movie god damit. And this movie had some amazing elements to tell that story which was sacrificed in order to do the 'Dawn of Justice League' set up, and it's a trade off that DC thought they had to make. I am patient enough to have waited another movie before that happens but I'm not using it a deal breaker for what this movie did for me.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Crown wrote:I just want to make one thing clear; this movie does have flaws. Some are spot on stated in this thread, others are blown out of proportion. There are 30mins missing from this movie, and it's obviously hurting the way the movie is 'knit' together.

But I just don't care. It's simple as that to me. The acting was spot motherfucking on. Holy Hunter, Jesse, Batfleck, Cav-ill, Adams, Gadot and et al were just hitting it out of the fucking park.

Seeing the trinity on screen gave me a nerdgasm I never thought I'd experience in my life. I'm seeing this again today, tomorrow and the day after that.

My only criticism about this; I want a proper Superman movie god damit. And this movie had some amazing elements to tell that story which was sacrificed in order to do the 'Dawn of Justice League' set up, and it's a trade off that DC thought they had to make. I am patient enough to have waited another movie before that happens but I'm not using it a deal breaker for what this movie did for me.
It's probably more of a movie for massive comic-book fans than for the general audience. Synder recreated many iconic comic-book scenes on the screen, but I don't think it would resonate with the casual filmgoer.

The movie is probably going to bomb at the box office, in the sense that it could not generate sufficient profits.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

ray245 wrote:The movie is probably going to bomb at the box office, in the sense that it could not generate sufficient profits.
Not if I have anything to do with it! Just got back from my second screening, I love this movie even more on the second viewing.

(I could be mentally ill, but fuck if I give a shit) :mrgreen:
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

One obvious example I've seen mentioned: if you have a character ask "Where does Kent disappear to? Does he click his heels three times and show up back home in Kansas?" and then immediately cut to another scene, what do you think that second scene will be? If you said "Clark Kent, possibly in Kansas," you have a better grasp of Writing 101 than Snyder does. That's a classic set-up line - the sort of thing you use to try to smooth over the jarring change of topic - and even if you know nothing about screenwriting you can at least recognise it as such once it's been pointed out to you.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Grumman wrote:
One obvious example I've seen mentioned: if you have a character ask "Where does Kent disappear to? Does he click his heels three times and show up back home in Kansas?" and then immediately cut to another scene, what do you think that second scene will be? If you said "Clark Kent, possibly in Kansas," you have a better grasp of Writing 101 than Snyder does. That's a classic set-up line - the sort of thing you use to try to smooth over the jarring change of topic - and even if you know nothing about screenwriting you can at least recognise it as such once it's been pointed out to you.
Synder didn't write this movie. The guy who wrote this movie has won an Oscar for writing a movie.

Seriously it's this shit right here that leads me to believe some people just want to hate on something for any reason possible. I'd bet dollars to donuts that if it were written the way you supposed, there would some other asshole complaining about how all the jokes were 'telegraphed' and 'obvious'.