My Little Pony : Second Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: My Little Pony : Second Thread

Post by Kuja »

Crazedwraith wrote:Anyway, we they all supposed to have altered memories of never having a different cutie mark? What we heard them say before Twi fixed it was ambigious to whether they always thought they had those marks or whether they were making the best of changed destinys.
It definately played havoc with their memories (Rarity thinking Dash lived in Fluttershy's cottage, for example), but it was also acting like a compulsion effect - all of the mane 6 seemed to realize what they were doing was bloody insane and a total trainwreck, but they kept on harping at it because "it's what my cutie mark is telling me." It was like cutie pox, no matter how much they wanted to they just couldn't stop. Twilight even said it directly - "it's not their memories, Spike, it's their true selves that've been altered!"
And how did it work for everyone else who's destinys weren't altered? I mean the rest of the apples were still on the farm. Did they think pinkie was their sister? How was the placing doing so badly with mac and apple bloom their to at least try and pick up the slack.
As much as I hate, hate to play the "dude it's a little girl show, relax brah" card...I think you'e overthinking it. I mean, as far as the episode shows us, not only does Apple Acres go into a drought and the trees lose all their leaves inside a day, but AJ was running Carousel Boutique and the place folded...inside a day!

It seems to me it was more supposed to be symbolic of the agony that the ponies were going through as they watched their lives go to hell in a handbasket and fall apart right in front of them. It's a visual for the kids to hook onto.
JADAFETWA
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

That's just cartoon logic for you. But it does neatly emphasis my point; the episode was hella rushed and a poor execution of an intriquing concept. Possibly because of network interference who knows?

Also; if the spell had really 'altered their true selves' then wouldn't they actually be good at their new destinies?

I think that 'interesting concept > bad execution' pretty much sums up my feelings about the season as a whole.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote:Also; if the spell had really 'altered their true selves' then wouldn't they actually be good at their new destinies?
It could be that it only partially altered their true selves. The spell was incomplete and flawed, after all.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Anyway, although I did think that the episode was a bit rushed (they had a lot to cram in there), I thought it was quite well-done.

I thought the plot was actually quite clever. Starswirl's original spell never worked because he never understood friendship...and as a result when Twilight tries casting it the spell wrecks total havoc with people's lives because the magic utilized (and the caster that formed it) didn't have that crucial connection to other people. He didn't understand how friendship and relationships with others shape our personalities, and so his attempts to shape destiny were fundamentally flawed - "from one to another; another to one, a mark of one's destiny singled out alone, fulfilled".

And as a result, the spell does something horrible - it finds every one of the mane 6's worst nightmares and tries to force them to accept it as fate:

Fluttershy, a social introvert starts trying to do public comedy
Pinkie, who was never happy with serious work on a farm starts running Sweet Apple Acres
AJ, who hates girliness becomes a dressmaker
Rarity, who can't stand mud and rain becomes a weather controller
Dash, who just wants to be free and fly is tied down taking care of animals
Even Twilight, though unaffected by the spell directly, is left alone again with her books after all this time learning how she needs her friends

And so how does the show solve this? By going back to the roots and the title itself - friendship is magic. Twilight's counterspell for Starswirl's magic are the very ties that hold the mane 6 together; the trust and loyalty of friends. By bringing each of her friends forth in turn to help someone else, she helps them rediscover themselves. By doing so, Twilight finishes the spell and realizes her own destiny, her cutie mark changing to reflect this: six small stars rather than five around the central icon to represent her bond with her friends and the magic their unity creates.

In doing so, Twilight proves herself the equal, perhaps even the better of not only Starswirl but also Celestia herself - the student has surpassed her teacher.

I thought the episode did a very good job arranging its themes and going back to the essence of the show - friendship isn't just nice to have, it's crucial to life and with it you can do things that you would never be capable of alone. I think it's actually one of the better-written MLP episodes in the entire lineup. I liked the little touch of having the 'spark' of magic appearing in Twilight's eyes like we haven't seen since the pilot. Pinkie's 'alicorn party' and spit-take jokes actually cracked me up a bit, and I liked the 'liquid pride' line. I liked the washed-out colors used during "Oh Why" that acted as a sort of callback to the greyscale imagery back in the confrontation with Discord, and the similar theme of loss of self in that episode.

As for the songs. "Just fine" was a fairly vanilla bookend, but it wasn't bad - nice and crisp and upbeat for a mood-setter. "My Destiny" had some nice bits like Pinkie trying to do a southern accent, and if you listen to the transition into AJ's part you can hear the strings from 'Art of the Dress'. "Oh Why" was a pretty sweetly-done sad song for the downer moment. I thought "True True Friend" was actually pretty fantastic, and one of the biggest songs they've done in awhile. Celestia's "Destiny" actually had me tearing up slightly, holy crap. "Behold" was a pretty little bit, my GF liked it.

One thing that interested me was that slipped in was the slight change to the elements of harmony towards the end. Rather than "Generosity, Kindness, Loyalty, Honesty, Laughter, Magic" Celestia uses the words "Charity, Compassion, Devotion, Integrity, Optimism, Leadership" to hint at perhaps a more grown-up aspect of the elements in unison with Twilight's growing story.

I think that if Season 3 had been the last MLP:FIM season like some feared it might be, the show could have gone out on much, much, much worse episodes than this. I thought it was actually a solid hit, even if it did run through the beats of its story a little faster than it could have. I had mixed feelings on a lot of S3 episodes and even disliked a couple, but after this I'm actually intruiged to see what the writers will do in S4.
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ralin wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Also; if the spell had really 'altered their true selves' then wouldn't they actually be good at their new destinies?
It could be that it only partially altered their true selves. The spell was incomplete and flawed, after all.
In addition to the 'flawed magic' premise, consider that each of the mane 6 affected by the spell was trying to pick up where the last one left off - Pinkie running a farm, AJ making top-quality dresses, etc.

Even in MLP, even if you have a talent for something that doesn't meen you've mastered it. You can't start out running an entire animal daycare, for example - even Fluttershy can be overwhelmed by animals at times when she's been doing her job for years, Dash basically got thrown to the (metaphorical) wolves.

But I think the idea of the magic being fundamentally botched is the more important one - the basic premise is that Twilight at this point is just a better magician than Starswirl was, because she's a better person. In MLP the two concepts are one and the same.
JADAFETWA
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Irbis wrote:Behold :angelic:
I dub thee My Little Anthro's or My Little Furry's.

The idea of taking the MLP characters aging them a bit making them human and in schools sounds like a no brainier to the money makers at Hasbro but the designs are weird. My cousin this instant this broke started messaging me saying Look at "X" I found on deviant art that's a 100x better than this. And I'm inclined to agree.
Heck put humanized mane six into Google image search (Safe search on for Celestia's sake) and you will find art depicting everything from a multicultural Mane six (I'm surprised by the number of African American Twilights for example) to all white to everything in between. You literally have thanks to your rabid fanbase more visual ideas than you can shake a stick at and you go with... that? And chin tattoos?

Seriously, facial tattoos?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Mr Bean wrote: Heck put humanized mane six into Google image search (Safe search on for Celestia's sake) and you will find art depicting everything from a multicultural Mane six (I'm surprised by the number of African American Twilights for example) to all white to everything in between.
I could have sworn there was even a black human Twilight drawn by Lauren Faust herself, but Google isn't turning anything up.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Mr Bean wrote:I dub thee My Little Anthro's or My Little Furry's.

The idea of taking the MLP characters aging them a bit making them human and in schools sounds like a no brainier to the money makers at Hasbro but the designs are weird. My cousin this instant this broke started messaging me saying Look at "X" I found on deviant art that's a 100x better than this. And I'm inclined to agree.
Yes, they kind of... do look more like catgirls than not. But at the same time, IMHO, these are far more... "coherent" so to speak, than 95% of the fan designs. They look from the same story, unlike fan humanizations that only care about making girl resemble pony, without even making sure the whole picture has unifying thought or sinle art style behind it. As it, it was drawn by professional, not talented amateurs. I kind of understand why they don't want to assign RL skin colors, and I'd still remain cautiously optimistic, seeing these aren't finalized designs (the show ones might lack wings, for example, if leaked pic is right). At the same time, I do like they didn't fell into trap of fanon humanizations, that is, same-ol' clothing (most fanon humanizations fells into identical, stereotypical clothes) and the hair idea with "tails" was pretty ingenious, too.
Heck put humanized mane six into Google image search (Safe search on for Celestia's sake) and you will find art depicting everything from a multicultural Mane six (I'm surprised by the number of African American Twilights for example) to all white to everything in between. You literally have thanks to your rabid fanbase more visual ideas than you can shake a stick at and you go with... that?
What? Black Twilight? :|

Um, unless you talk about things like this, which is supposed to be Hindu, and is indeed fairly popular, I can't remember any well drawn black TS, even black Rarity or Celestia is more popular than TS. Stereotypes and all that.
And chin tattoos?

Seriously, facial tattoos?
They are advertising another line of toys, perhaps? :P

But I liked this comment from EG discussion, too: "Well, just because it's on their cheek doesn't mean it isn't on their... erm... other cheeks too. Though, unless Hasbro has lost their mind, I don't think we'd be seeing them."
Ralin wrote:I could have sworn there was even a black human Twilight drawn by Lauren Faust herself, but Google isn't turning anything up.
I don't think Faust ever drawn humanized MLP, unless you mean her Galaxy Girls art. Which proves she is like Lucas, IMHO, BTW.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Most "humanized" version of Twilight often have her as Latino for some reason.

But yeah, "Humanized" ponies was something I was not totally against when I first heard about it.. Except these aren't humanized, they are just outright "furries". I mean if Hasbro wanted to a "My Little Highschool girls" You could do that EITHER as making them human, and goign to school, OR as could do it STILL as ponies, but going to Highschool.

I mean I could see that, you have "Principal" Celestia, various teachers and staff. Discord would be the creepy groundskeeper... But you do it either as humans, or as ponies. I mean I saw some earlier pics where they looked more human and I thought it was not too bad.. But these, not only do they have wings and horse ears, but they are their respective colors. They look more liek freaky Anime Aliens then pony people.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

In other news, this is a thing now:

I may never watch Rocky the same way again.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

While a valid observation, there are two points:

1. Everything has to be made in-house and marketable. Meaning that buying designs from a deviant artist is just an unnecessary hassle.

2. What may look good on a still picture may not be good for animation.

I personally think that the whole idea is doomed to be obvious marketing-made marching-order for creatively braindead show since I read the word "highschool".
But these, not only do they have wings and horse ears, but they are their respective colors. They look more liek freaky Anime Aliens then pony people.
To the company/corporate people, all that matters is that they look like cartoons. If someone told that them that they are actively doing "furries", they'd like go so far as to outright cancel the idea because these people likely only know the term from that CSI episode.

Considering how I read an article about Disney's Tron cartoon to have been actively drowned when the corporate types learned that it was creating an adult fanbase, I'm still thankful that they still want MLP to go considering its massive adult fanbase it had just when Season 1 started airing.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lurks-no-More
Redshirt

Post by Lurks-no-More »

Well, if the spell screws with your sense of self and purpose, but leaves your personality and talents untouched, as it seemed to do, the result is a mess.

As for the rapid changes, one fan explanation I've seen and liked is that the spell literally rewove the destinies of AJ, Pinkie and others. So for anyone caught in the spell's effect, Rarity as of that morning always has been a Ponyville weather control unicorn, Pinkie the humorless owner of a struggling apple farm, Fluttershy the world's worst party pony and so on. And the longer the spell goes on, the further back its effects propagate; by the time Twilight figures things out and starts breaking the changed destinies, Pinkie's mismanagement of Sweet Apple Acres has gone on for years and the place's a mess. That's why the townsponies' moods are so lousy; they've now spent a day or two of having lived for a long time in a town where several of the important citizens are completely inept at their jobs.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Lurks-no-More wrote:As for the rapid changes, one fan explanation I've seen and liked is that the spell literally rewove the destinies of AJ, Pinkie and others. So for anyone caught in the spell's effect, Rarity as of that morning always has been a Ponyville weather control unicorn, Pinkie the humorless owner of a struggling apple farm, Fluttershy the world's worst party pony and so on. And the longer the spell goes on, the further back its effects propagate; by the time Twilight figures things out and starts breaking the changed destinies, Pinkie's mismanagement of Sweet Apple Acres has gone on for years and the place's a mess. That's why the townsponies' moods are so lousy; they've now spent a day or two of having lived for a long time in a town where several of the important citizens are completely inept at their jobs.
Makes sense. The one thing we definitely know Starswirl the Bearded did was create time travel magic.

(Yes, and the animamorphic spell, but since we have no idea what that means...)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Irbis wrote:the hair idea with "tails" was pretty ingenious, too.
Does anyone know how this idea will work on male characters ?

Removing horns while keeping wings is an odd choice. Still, I've enjoyed stuff that looks worse, so the designs don't worry me. The highschool setting does.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Mr Bean wrote:The idea of taking the MLP characters aging them a bit making them human and in schools sounds like a no brainier
Actually, de-aged. From all the things the Mane Cast gets up to in the series, they're clearly not in 'school' of any kind anymore, they're living on their own doing their own adult things. Hell, Rarity runs her own business, for one big example...
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

KlavoHunter wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:The idea of taking the MLP characters aging them a bit making them human and in schools sounds like a no brainier
Actually, de-aged. From all the things the Mane Cast gets up to in the series, they're clearly not in 'school' of any kind anymore, they're living on their own doing their own adult things. Hell, Rarity runs her own business, for one big example...
Valid point, the show aimed at 6-12 year old girls involves twenty something ponies.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

KlavoHunter wrote:Actually, de-aged. From all the things the Mane Cast gets up to in the series, they're clearly not in 'school' of any kind anymore, they're living on their own doing their own adult things. Hell, Rarity runs her own business, for one big example...
Technically I think Twilight counts as being in the Equestrian equivalent of college/grad school.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

bilateralrope wrote:
Irbis wrote:the hair idea with "tails" was pretty ingenious, too.
Does anyone know how this idea will work on male characters ?

Removing horns while keeping wings is an odd choice. Still, I've enjoyed stuff that looks worse, so the designs don't worry me. The highschool setting does.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that they will have those wings as "Backpacks" Like not REAL wings, but like something for looks on a backpack...

Or at least thats what I'll keep telling myself...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:The only thing that makes sense to me is that they will have those wings as "Backpacks" Like not REAL wings, but like something for looks on a backpack...
Seeing first screen we saw doesn't have them, I'd say it's pretty likely.
KlavoHunter wrote:Actually, de-aged. From all the things the Mane Cast gets up to in the series, they're clearly not in 'school' of any kind anymore, they're living on their own doing their own adult things. Hell, Rarity runs her own business, for one big example...
Are they? :|

To me, it looked more as is Mane 6 just outgrown the limited school system of Ponyville and were forced to do what people did before Western compulsory education, take up jobs early. AJ and to lesser degree Pinkie are obviously undereducated and apprentices to family business, RD was kicked out of school, FS apparently has big school issues, the only character that actually has access to real education, Twilight, is still learning.

It might be interesting culture clash in itself, Mane 6 complaining Real World is childish with AJ being most vocal how she is too smart and old for "kindergarten" :lol:
bilateralrope wrote:Does anyone know how this idea will work on male characters ?
Why? Males can't have ponytails?
2. What may look good on a still picture may not be good for animation.
Yeah, unlike what fans can throw together, basis for new show has to be both visually coherent and easily broken down for animation libraries. Put too much detail on it or irregular shapes and it suddenly becomes much more expensive to produce as everything has to be redrawn/animated by hand.

Incidentally, EqD produced new screen, too bad it's probably fan fake.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Irbis wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:Does anyone know how this idea will work on male characters ?
Why? Males can't have ponytails?
We aren't talking ponytails. We are talking hair that nearly reaches the characters feet.

If all the male characters have hair that long it is going to be a bit odd.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Here's my thoughts/things I thought interesting from the last few episodes as promised. Some day I won't procrastinate doing what I said I'll do. Spoiler
  • Pinky got her hoof(singular) shined... very Pinkie Pie.
  • Discord seems to like tormenting Angel, he probably deserves it though.
  • Angel's Wilhelm scream
  • Twilight's reactiong to discord eating the spells was priceless.
  • Discord's antics must be fun for the writers/storyboard artists.
  • Another good message delivered.
  • I can only wander what the Celestia/Discord shippers are up to in light of this episode.
Spoiler
  • It looks like spike returned Peewee. I wander how long that lasted?
  • There still seems to be a bit of conflict between Spike and Owlowicous albeit now seemingly more annoyance/good-natured ribbing than actual animosity.
  • Angel's face when Spike agrees to help.
  • Tank's clumsiness is a nice contrast to Rainbow Dash's grace.
  • Did I see Cherilee and Big Mac walking together? Oh dear, looks like they'll be more drama from the shippers.
  • Peeping Scootaloo (chyrstal walls and excitement at being able to see through them) :shock:
  • Just what is the value of gems anyway? They seem to have some value as the girls purchased the industrial strength blow dryer with just a shard of a gem and Spike bought Granny Smith's silence with one, and yet we see spike gobble them up on numerous occasions. Likewise they don't appear terribly rare, considering the ease with which Rarity was finding them in A Dog and Pony Show, to say nothing of the king's ransom she ended up leaving with. In real life their value comes from their rarity, aesthetic appeal, and in modern times material properties. They obviously have aesthetic appeal to ponies, though they don't seem to be rare at all. I wander if they have some magical properties that otherwise gives them value.
  • Spike learned his lesson by the end of the episode. More character growth, will it be remembered?
Spoiler
  • It's possible we saw Rainbow Dash's father in the flash back to Cloudsdale.
  • The annoyed guy on the train reading the paper while they practiced the cheer was a nice bit of realism. You couldn't get a private car when you know you'll be doing something like that Twilight?
  • Cadance appears to rule the Crystal Empire it would seem.
  • Good job upsetting a child RD.
  • Breathing exercises for Twilight to deal with her anxiety is a nice bit of character development.
  • Winged shoes on the messenger pony is a nice touch.
  • Pinkie's tour... I think we can rule out tour guide as possible alternate employment for the Pink One.
  • The wild mustang from Mustangia being claustrophobic is interesting. I wander if they're hinting at possible cultural differences, or simply a pony with severe claustrophobia . Perhaps they're hinting at nomadic ponies?
  • I like the tie in with the last episode. Then again, I always did find observing the same overall events from differing perspectives fascinating.
  • "Every city and empire wants to host the games..." This along with a few other things raises some interesting political questions.
Spoiler
  • Derpy sightings.
  • To Serve Rainbow Dash it would seem. What if Twilight and Fluttershy were delayed? Most of the critters are herbivorous, but the bear and mustelids...
  • Pinkie and the farm seemingly collapsing within a day... I suppose that fits her reality bending ways or was just dramatic licence on the part of the authors, either works.
  • Holy crap, they actually referenced solutions for past problems as potential solutions for the current problem in this episode!
  • Twilight actually listened to Spike for once instead of ignoring him like usual.
  • Is it really such a good idea to have the Elements of Harmony sitting in a display case in the presumably public library?
  • Pinkie's spit take got a chuckle from me.
  • Twilight's reaction to finding out she's a princess is expected, yet still amusing. Well played writers... well played.
  • So much music...
  • Cadance and her quick hair change or the return of the changlings?
Princesses in general seem to be an interesting topic which is probably going to tie-in with the political discussion I have planned, but that's the subject for a future post.

The whole spin-off thing is interesting, it could go really well or horribly wrong. I just don't see a middle ground being likely. Now, will it go the way of The Lone Gunmen or The Cleveland Show?
To me, it looked more as is Mane 6 just outgrown the limited school system of Ponyville and were forced to do what people did before Western compulsory education, take up jobs early. AJ and to lesser degree Pinkie are obviously undereducated and apprentices to family business, RD was kicked out of school, FS apparently has big school issues, the only character that actually has access to real education, Twilight, is still learning.
Out of curiosity what is your argument for this. I can't think of anything off-hand other than naivety, which all the characters seem to have to varying degrees, and the social/"friendship" stuff which we wouldn't have a show if they knew it. IIRC we don't see much of their younger lives to get much of an idea of their education. We see a glimpse of Rarity doing stuff for a school play at roughly the same age as the CMCs, and Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were at Flight Camp (which implies it to be separate from normal schooling). The only one whose education we really have any idea about is Twilight, and I got the impression that her experience was more akin to an exceptionally gifted individual going to a magnate/prep school, and then on to college/university, potentially slighty ahead of others in her age group. Mind you by the time of the show Twilight seems to be in a situation roughly equivalent to post-secondary education in the United States. Something else to keep in mind is that in the U.S. you have areas that locally have up to a certain level of schooling, and then the children commute to a larger school to finish their education, though this is less common today than in it was in my parents generation. For example, my mother lived in a hamlet where she attended the local primary school, when she was older she and the other students then went to the nearby city school system for high school. Now said school no longer exists and the local children have been completely absorbed into the nearby city's school system for their entire mandatory education.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Wing Commander MAD wrote:Out of curiosity what is your argument for this. I can't think of anything off-hand other than naivety, which all the characters seem to have to varying degrees, and the social/"friendship" stuff which we wouldn't have a show if they knew it. IIRC we don't see much of their younger lives to get much of an idea of their education. We see a glimpse of Rarity doing stuff for a school play at roughly the same age as the CMCs, and Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were at Flight Camp (which implies it to be separate from normal schooling). The only one whose education we really have any idea about is Twilight, and I got the impression that her experience was more akin to an exceptionally gifted individual going to a magnate/prep school, and then on to college/university, potentially slighty ahead of others in her age group. Mind you by the time of the show Twilight seems to be in a situation roughly equivalent to post-secondary education in the United States. Something else to keep in mind is that in the U.S. you have areas that locally have up to a certain level of schooling, and then the children commute to a larger school to finish their education, though this is less common today than in it was in my parents generation. For example, my mother lived in a hamlet where she attended the local primary school, when she was older she and the other students then went to the nearby city school system for high school. Now said school no longer exists and the local children have been completely absorbed into the nearby city's school system for their entire mandatory education.
Wasn't word of authors way back in Season 1 that ponies are about 15? :|

And we do know at least some things about education. S1E16, Rainbow Dash was supposedly kicked out of school. AJ shows disgust for 'fancy' (or rather elementary) mathematics, FS shows hints of rather big childhood abuse (especially S2E22) making it unlikely she finished school, Pinkie as filly lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere - only Rarity and Twilight are shown attending and possibly finishing something else than elementary school, and only TS seemed to reach beginning of higher education.

It might be as you say, seeing writers are Americans, but Equestria obviously has no means of commuting, we see only one small school with one teacher, lots of pictograms instead of words suggesting widespread illiteracy (if only because only unicorns can reliably write...) and no hints anyone ever goes to big city. Example - AJ going to Manehattan like it was life-changing event, not something everyone does, and Rarity hopelessly trying to blend in in Canterlot which would be weird if she spent a few years in city on education. Heck, her awe of Twilight way back in first episode that she gets to talk to someone who lived in a place of note...
Lurks-no-More
Redshirt

Post by Lurks-no-More »

They're pretty clearly meant to be adults, but with a young mindset that makes them more approachable to the target audience.

AJ runs the family farm; Pinkie Pie is a baker's apprentice and does party planning and catering on the side; Rarity owns and runs a small business, and is in progress of breaking into fashion industry; Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are pretty much civil servants, the former leading Ponyville's weather team, and the latter acting as a wildlife control officer; and Twilight is a grad student with a Royal grant to study friendship, who also works part-time as the Ponyville librarian. Spoiler
Well, as of the S3 finale, she's actually a post-grad researcher.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

The main cast being around 15 human years old may have been the original intent, but I'd have to agree with Lurks regarding they're current portrayal as young adults with a mindset approachable to children.
And we do know at least some things about education. S1E16, Rainbow Dash was supposedly kicked out of school. AJ shows disgust for 'fancy' (or rather elementary) mathematics, FS shows hints of rather big childhood abuse (especially S2E22) making it unlikely she finished school, Pinkie as filly lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere - only Rarity and Twilight are shown attending and possibly finishing something else than elementary school, and only TS seemed to reach beginning of higher education.

It might be as you say, seeing writers are Americans, but Equestria obviously has no means of commuting, we see only one small school with one teacher, lots of pictograms instead of words suggesting widespread illiteracy (if only because only unicorns can reliably write...) and no hints anyone ever goes to big city. Example - AJ going to Manehattan like it was life-changing event, not something everyone does, and Rarity hopelessly trying to blend in in Canterlot which would be weird if she spent a few years in city on education. Heck, her awe of Twilight way back in first episode that she gets to talk to someone who lived in a place of note...
I looked at the transcript for S1E16 on the wiki, and they specifically say flight camp. Generally, when you're talking about kids attending a camp in America it means one of two things, and I'm assuming it's probably similar in Canada, either attending a private camp (usually during the summer when there is no school) or as related to an extracurricular activity through the school. The former can range from something specific (i.e. religion, acting, etc.) to something general with the focus being on outdoor activities, socializing, and fun and usually involves staying away from home. The latter usually involves staying at home, but still occurs during the summer. An example would be football or band (marching band) camp. Generally this is something that occurs near when school will be restarting and involves intense day long practices to prepare for the coming season. I could for example, be kicked out of band camp (and thus likely the marching band), but not be kicked out of school. Flight camp in this regard is probably related to more than just plain flying, something I'm willing to bet comes as naturally to pegasi as walking, and is more likely to focus on speed and/or acrobatic flying. Fluttershy says she was a weak flyer, and often parents will enroll their kids in camps or extracurricular activities to "improve" on areas they are perceived to be weak in or just because the parents feel the kid should do that. Obviously this practice has drawbacks, such as bullying from other kids in the case of kids who don't fit in or have little to no interest in the activity and who'd rather be doing something else, but mom and dad are making them do it. Rainbow Dash attending such a camp would be natural given her athletic and outgoing nature, while the timid Fluttershy, who is also a weak flyer, being forced to attend the camp would be quite plausible. The flying camp mentioned may be related to the Junior Speedsters Dash mentioned that she and Gilda were in.

Applejacks "fancy mathematics" remark in S1E3 may have been more in line with the country bumpkin stereotype being played up for laughs than an actual indicator of her intelligence, along with her over estimating her abilities. I'd argue that this is especially the case given the fact that she makes repeated remarks throughout the series regarding overseeing financial matters involving the farm and the Apple family. Likewise, the big deal about going to Manehattan probably is going along with that stereotype as well. If you were to look at a story set in a rural location prior to say the 1920's in America or even better yet prior to major industrialization you'd likely see a similar attitude, especially once you got out in the plains regions and the west. Actually, a good example would probably be any number of the old Western movies (usually taking place in the mid to late 19th century) as that is pretty much the vibe, time period wise, I got from Granny Smith's flashbacks to her childhood.

Canterlot appears to be the equivalent of Paris to the Equestrian fashion world, which would explain Rarity's awe at it and at Twilight being from there. Likewise, her difficulty fitting in there is relating to the fact that she's trying too hard to rub elbows with the equivalent of Parisian high society, in spite of her common background (actually the reason she is trying so hard). Her reaction around the window washer or her friends at the party was one of horror because she was trying to be something she wasn't for the sake of fitting in to the point where she forgot not only who she was, but also who her friends really were. That was the lesson of the whole episode.

I'm almost certain Pinkie Pie says she lived on a rock farm outside of Ponyville in the episode where she explains her cutie mark. That would indicate to me that it relatively near, but outside the city limits. Sweet Apple Acres appears to be just outside of Ponyville proper, so it may be that the rock farm is even further away (say maybe a day or twos travel time by foot). She is about the only one whose childhood might preclude what we'd consider a normal education, though that also makes her a very good candidate for some form of commuting. We do see quite a few forms of travel in the show, so I would not rule out commuting. Babs arrives at the family reunion on what appears to be a taxi (whether that is all the way from home or just from the train station in town to the farm is unknown). We see a tour bus in the Mysterious Mare Do Well along with mechanized floats in Babs Seed. We see airships in several episodes and of course the train, hot air balloon, and carriages/coaches featured in others. When Sweetie Belle stays with Rarity she refers to her fathers wagon in much the way one would refer to a personal automobile. Ponies are certainly not lacking when it comes to non-pedestrian means of travel.

The non-unicorn ponies are shown writing with their mouths, though that may lead to decreased written word and heavy use of mechanical print and pictograms compared to humans. Signs in the shape of what the store specializes in are certainly not uncommon in the real world, though they are less common than they used to be. Pictograms are also extremely common as well. For example, just about the only traffic signs in the U.S. with written words on them are those that identify a particular location or road by name, speed limits, and signs commanding the driver to stop and/or yield to other traffic at a particular location. One does not need to be able to even speak or read English, the only language in my experience that road signage is printed in, to be able to legally be licensed and operate an automobile.

Finally, I honestly doubt the show writers have given much thought to education. The fact that Ponyville seems to have only a small one room school house with a lone teacher probably has more to do with romanticizing the notion than any thing else. Such a setting allows for more personal interactions between not only the students and the teacher, but between each other.