The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Serafina wrote:771 is up. Quite predictable, but still fun.
It's especially predicable because it's three days old... :)
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Okay - quite an interesting resolution on the "Haley Dad"-plot. I like it, it shows a lot of character development.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Crazedwraith wrote:This however is new.
So...he's gone nuts, then?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Molyneux wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:This however is new.
So...he's gone nuts, then?
Well... it's viciously paranoid, but it does make sense. After years rotting in prison the son of your masterfully manipulative dictator, whose other son is IIRC widely known to be an evil bastard, in whose honor gladiatorial games are being held in a day, walks in unmolested and says "Hi! This is a rescue!"

Even with your (lovestruck) daughter and her teammates vouching for him that's pretty damn suspicious.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

And #733 already!
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

OK, is it just me or have we now reached exactly the same place as we were about a dozen strips ago? They;re not going to break out and are still waiting for Tarquin to give them the info.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Crazedwraith wrote:OK, is it just me or have we now reached exactly the same place as we were about a dozen strips ago? They;re not going to break out and are still waiting for Tarquin to give them the info.
Except Tarquin DID say he would gave any information he had to assist. Although you arn't too far off, aside from that it does seem like there has not been a whole lot that has actually been developed.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I'm starting to think that he is going to end up not giving them the info and they'll end up having to steal it. Knowing the way Tarquin pontificates and all hi genre savvy geekiness he might be doing it as a test as a way for Elan to prove his right to be a hero.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Isolder74 wrote:I'm starting to think that he is going to end up not giving them the info and they'll end up having to steal it. Knowing the way Tarquin pontificates and all hi genre savvy geekiness he might be doing it as a test as a way for Elan to prove his right to be a hero.
I still like the idea that Tarquin helps them because he would profit from them thwarting some other villains plot.
And hey, fighting some other villain first would ALSO make Elan a famous hero, so your proposed purpose would also be fulfilled.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Oh, how epic.

Elan finds out his dad's evil
Elan gets info to save the world from same dad
Elan becomes great hero saving world.

"And now, I have to do something... personal"
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

It also allows for another story after the "main quest" is finished.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, we know that the motion goes back into effect once they leave the Anti Magic zone.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, we know that the motion goes back into effect once they leave the Anti Magic zone.
Also, ouch!

(edit: re: "things that aren't true.")
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Sriad wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Well, we know that the motion goes back into effect once they leave the Anti Magic zone.
Also, ouch!

(edit: re: "things that aren't true.")
Ouch, indeed.
That's a very strange situation, though...so you can't Bluff on something that you know is true?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, it wouldn't be a bluff if you told the truth, would it?

Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Serafina wrote:Well, it wouldn't be a bluff if you told the truth, would it?
Still, that means that a talented orator could find it easier to convince others of something that's false than what's true. I never really understood the division between Diplomacy and Bluff, by that measure.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

*sniffle* Still not as heart wrenching as Roy's little brother in heaven though.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Molyneux wrote:
Serafina wrote:Well, it wouldn't be a bluff if you told the truth, would it?
Still, that means that a talented orator could find it easier to convince others of something that's false than what's true. I never really understood the division between Diplomacy and Bluff, by that measure.
Well, that's D&D-rules for you. Which is what this joke is all about.

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

775 up!

'Bad Year', ha.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Something I just saw pointed out on another forum; that mysterious green haired elf is back, glaring at V again. Foreshadowing!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, that green-haired elf, who V seems to be ignoring.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'm guessing Green-hair is related to V's mate.

Or possible IS V's mate in disguise.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Or a friend or colleague of one of the dragons/part dragons killed by Familicide. V's reasoning was badly flawed on that; V had the idea that killing all of the Mother Dragon's relations would eliminate everyone who'd take revenge, but since when are relatives the only ones who care about revenge?