Reactions to Indiana Jones IV (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

havokeff wrote: But that's the thing. IJ takes mythology, especially religious mythology, and makes it real. So how is taking the myth of Aliens and making it real any different?
I agree with this. Aliens were one of the big myths of the 50s, along with nukes. That alone accounts for those particular choices in an Indy film set in the 50s. I've yet to see it, still, but I will one of these days.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Anguirus wrote:
I've never quite understood the hate TOD gets (Yes, Kate Capshaw's Willie is shrill and irritating, but that's the point, right?).
I just watched it and had no desire to see it again...the Clerks animated spoof of the film's plot was better than actually seeing said plot in action. Brainwashing Indy, however briefly, felt terribly wrong, and the blatant use and acceptance of magic made Indy's chronologically-later skepticism in Raiders feel out-of-place.

Besides which, it greatly annoyed me that all of the Indians in the film were either malnourished primitives or violent cultists, and more so that the British army saved the day at the end. Nice subtext there, guys.
I personally like the explanation that Indy went into full on denial after TOD, maybe even mild PTSD or brain damage from the mind washing.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A