Reactions to Indiana Jones IV (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

After this film, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a 5th Indy film, where Scientology is real and Indy has to find an artifact to defeat Xenu.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Gandalf wrote:It's like having a film in which Thor fights Ra, how do they coexist without some interesting backstory?
Sounds familiar..... very familiar..... Stargate?
unsigned
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LordOskuro wrote:
Gandalf wrote:It's like having a film in which Thor fights Ra, how do they coexist without some interesting backstory?
Sounds familiar..... very familiar..... Stargate?
And there's a lot of backstory, isn't there? :wink:
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Well, I finally watched Indiana Jones. And by that, I mean all of them for the first time consecutively. :) I honestly didn't have such a big problem with the aliens. Maybe it's because watching movies about the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail in 2008 gave about the same ridiculous impression as the whole alien bit. While the Crystal Skull had new CG elements and all that, it still felt very much like an Indy film even after watching the first three just before going to see the movie. I was pleasantly surprised at how much the last one felt like the first three. I thought it was quite a ride.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Finally watched it.

I liked it, but I too felt that aliens were just too out of place for Indiana Jones.

The previous movies were all magic and spirits. Throwing super alien tech into the mix just feels out of place. At least the saucer didn't do the Close Encounters light and color show before departing.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I don't get this. Why do people, ESPECIALLY on this board, have such a problem with Aliens being real in the Indy-Verse, BUT NOT with the fact that Jesus did in fact exist and was the actual son of God? How is magic and theology more in line with Indy, an archaeologist that preaches about FACTS, than SCIENCE? :roll:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The presentation could've been done better. Now if it was fancy lights and weirdo sounds and stuff, instead of a Grey alien snarling at us and clenching his fist, then it would've been better.

How would you have liked it if Jesus was there in Raiders of the Lost Ark, ruining the Nazi's shit with finger beams?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How would you have liked it if Jesus was there in Raiders of the Lost Ark, ruining the Nazi's shit with finger beams?
That would have been FUCKING AWESOME!

There was nothing wrong with the movie. From start to finish, it felt like pure Indiana Jones.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

havokeff wrote:I don't get this. Why do people, ESPECIALLY on this board, have such a problem with Aliens being real in the Indy-Verse, BUT NOT with the fact that Jesus did in fact exist and was the actual son of God? How is magic and theology more in line with Indy, an archaeologist that preaches about FACTS, than SCIENCE? :roll:
Probably because a lot of people don't think it was done well. Ancient alien skulls aren't a bad idea at all, but 13 skeletons spinning around into on Stargate reject was dumb.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The presentation could've been done better. Now if it was fancy lights and weirdo sounds and stuff, instead of a Grey alien snarling at us and clenching his fist, then it would've been better.

How would you have liked it if Jesus was there in Raiders of the Lost Ark, ruining the Nazi's shit with finger beams?
Mystical artifacts and the Power of God™ were presented as an inherent part of Indiana Jones, so people had no choice but to accept it. But aliens are a new concept. Or at least, that's my take on it. Personally, aliens posing as gods works too.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

havokeff wrote:I don't get this. Why do people, ESPECIALLY on this board, have such a problem with Aliens being real in the Indy-Verse, BUT NOT with the fact that Jesus did in fact exist and was the actual son of God? How is magic and theology more in line with Indy, an archaeologist that preaches about FACTS, than SCIENCE? :roll:
IMHO, If you go with one, it is better to exclude the other.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darth Yoshi wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:The presentation could've been done better. Now if it was fancy lights and weirdo sounds and stuff, instead of a Grey alien snarling at us and clenching his fist, then it would've been better.

Mystical artifacts and the Power of God™ were presented as an inherent part of Indiana Jones, so people had no choice but to accept it.
Exactly; it's part of the mythology and part of what people think of when they think of Indy. In fact, it was probably the absence off both the paranormal and action that affected the draw of TYIJC and hurt itis ratings.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

It would probably have the same reaction if Star Wars, with all its mystical elements of the Force and such started incorporating all sorts of Star Trek style bullshit technobabble.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Saw it last night, and I enjoyed it. The aliens didn't really bother me. It would've been out of place if they'd used aliens in a film set in WWII, but for one set in the 50's, when there was a huge buzz over UFO's and the like, I think it worked fine.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Darth Servo wrote:
It would probably have the same reaction if Star Wars, with all its mystical elements of the Force and such started incorporating all sorts of Star Trek style bullshit technobabble.
Didn't they sort of do that with the whole Midichlorian thing in Episode 1?

A friend of mine commented that the reason why the alien thing somewhat erked him a bit was that he preferred the idea of an unexplained mystery of religious mythology as opposed to the idea of an explanation of it in the form of aliens. So in short, theological mystery is cooler than sci-fi in an Indiana Jones movie. To each is own I suppose.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Darth Servo wrote:

A friend of mine commented that the reason why the alien thing somewhat erked him a bit was that he preferred the idea of an unexplained mystery of religious mythology as opposed to the idea of an explanation of it in the form of aliens. So in short, theological mystery is cooler than sci-fi in an Indiana Jones movie. To each is own I suppose.
But that's the thing. IJ takes mythology, especially religious mythology, and makes it real. So how is taking the myth of Aliens and making it real any different?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

havokeff wrote:But that's the thing. IJ takes mythology, especially religious mythology, and makes it real. So how is taking the myth of Aliens and making it real any different?
As I tried to illustrate with my previous post, its the wrong franchise. Aliens work in Sci-fi but little else. Would aliens be seen as fitting well in LOTR or Harry Potter?

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:

Not quite the same. The Midichlorians are mentioned but not as a major plot development. We DON'T see transporter accidents driving any of the SW films and it would feel really out of place if we did.

Schuyler Colfax
Jedi Master

Post by Schuyler Colfax »

I finally saw it. It was decent. I'm not going to talk about the A-bomb, was that scene necessary. The thing that kind of bugged me about the movie was that these literally have to be the luckiest people in the world, I mean the fact that they survived every single time it could have gone all wrong any second. The Greasers fight was pretty entertaining even though I did see any greasers in the shop beforehand. The aliens didn't bug me, I actually felt pretty sorry Blanchett at the end. I honestly didn't recognize John Hurt as Ox until the wedding. Overall 3/5.
Get some
Hemming
Redshirt

Post by Hemming »

I saw it only yesterday, and I have to say I didn't like it much.

The story, sure. Some crystal skull with telepathic properties is found and they try to take it back to what is essentially El Dorado. I've seen worse.

Unbelievability really got me, though, especially with the nuke and magnetism. "When I throw this into the air, the magnetic force will suddenly activate and pull it across the room with extreme force, then i will be able to pull it off once it sticks."

I could go on and on about things like that, but it's best summed up by "It sucks in comparison"
I find you moderately attractive, and have grown to tolerate your presence. Become legally bonded to me.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Darth Servo wrote:
havokeff wrote:But that's the thing. IJ takes mythology, especially religious mythology, and makes it real. So how is taking the myth of Aliens and making it real any different?
As I tried to illustrate with my previous post, its the wrong franchise. Aliens work in Sci-fi but little else. Would aliens be seen as fitting well in LOTR or Harry Potter?
No, but LOTR and Harry Potter have magic firmly established and factual. IJ deals with MYTHS and the proving of said myths. Just because you, and we as a society think of aliens as a recent creation or myth, doesn't mean that is so. The idea of aliens have been around a lot longer then the US. Hell, they have been around longer then Christianity, but we have no problem with two movies based around those myths.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Finally saw it last week. It was okay, but frankly, I still like TOD better. I've never quite understood the hate TOD gets (Yes, Kate Capshaw's Willie is shrill and irritating, but that's the point, right?). KOTCS seems a bit too X-File-ish for my taste, with this sort of genre. I haven't read the whole thread here and maybe someone's already mentioned this, but it didn't feel as much like an "Indiana Jones" movie as it did a movie with Indiana Jones in it, if that makes sense. There was a bit too much of the loss-recover-loss-recovery of the skull. Still, I enjoyed most of the movie up until the end with the aliens skeletons merging. The alien at the end wasn't even that interesting. I

With Comcast's On Demand service, you can see upcoming movie previews. Its description for KOTCS is that Indy is exploring "Atlantis." I kind of wish that were the case, as compared to aliens.

Anyway, I saw KOTCS once and I can't see myself seeing it again until it comes out on DVD. I did see Iron Man twice already and if I could afford it, I'd see it again. But sad to say, I have no burning desire to see KOTCS again anytime soon.

It's too bad Indy didn't get to catch a glimpse of the exposed Ark of the Covenant. There was a nod to it in TLC of course, so it would have been amusing to see him catch sight of its golden brilliance as he sped by.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I've never quite understood the hate TOD gets (Yes, Kate Capshaw's Willie is shrill and irritating, but that's the point, right?).
I just watched it and had no desire to see it again...the Clerks animated spoof of the film's plot was better than actually seeing said plot in action. Brainwashing Indy, however briefly, felt terribly wrong, and the blatant use and acceptance of magic made Indy's chronologically-later skepticism in Raiders feel out-of-place.

Besides which, it greatly annoyed me that all of the Indians in the film were either malnourished primitives or violent cultists, and more so that the British army saved the day at the end. Nice subtext there, guys.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Well, it was the British Indian Army, if it makes it any better. Though you'd think the Thuggees would have the sense to brainwash that British officer along with everyone else in the Palace.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

The cultists were probably hoping that the officer would bugger off none the wise, and the only reason Indy got inducted was because he stumbled onto the sacrifice and tried to swipe the stones.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia