My Little Pony

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Re: My Little Pony

Post by lordofchange13 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Ok here is a question...

This may sound silly, but does anyone know how the REAL target audiance likes the show?
As in, kids/young girls aged 5 to 7. With so much now being tips to the older fans and to bronies.. How do younger kids actually find watching the show?

I don't know if I ever really saw a survey or review asking young girls about this ":P
Can't find a survey anywere but the show gets pretty good ratings, and my 3 cousins (3,5,6) all really love the show. so... probably.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

My four year old son and seven year old daughter hang out for it every week. They watch and rewatch the old eps daily.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Featherweight is New Best Pony, and evil mastermind :twisted:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Spoiler alert!

Diamond Tiara is both an idiot and, well, a bitch.

I can't find another word for her. She knowingly and deliberately demanded embarrassing details of people's personal (and not so interesting) lives, outright saying that she has no care about any damage it may do.

Yeah ,the CMC wrote the articles, but damn.

When I saw the theme of the episode, I was hoping to see the CMC go out and MAKE a new newspaper. When Diamond Tiara was revealed new editor, they would make a counter paper or something.

Still, social ostracization is incredibly dark for the show and surprising that it was shown. I mean, THE ENTIRE TOWN basically ran away in fear of the three fillies.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

"Mayor not actually greymaned" Heheh. :lol: Shouldn't it be goody-four-hooves not goody two hooves?

Not the CMC's best not bad though. Again it was another episode with a very short wrap up.

I really liked the scene with the Apples telling AB to go away. (who's perfect pony now AJ?) In that AJ was using Big Mac speech patterns and he was being usually vocal.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I remember when season 1 was airing, everyone thought of Sweetie Belle as the "slow" one... Talk about things turning around? Nowadays, it seems more like she's easily the most cunning of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. She thought of the gossiping in this episode, and was responsible for the love potion plan in Hearts and Hooves Day...
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Well yeah, but all of her ideas are actually terrible ideas.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Celestia seems to really like cake. Liked the call back for Big Mac and smartypants.
This was so-so episode to fill the void till next week.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

evilsoup wrote:Well yeah, but all of her ideas are actually terrible ideas.
No more than the others'. And Sweetie does seem to take on the "thinker" role most often.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

A very good CMC episode. I just...loved it. Best CMC showing? Well, maybe not. But close.
Crazedwraith wrote:(who's perfect pony now AJ?)
Still Applejack. The girl is allowed to take a break consarn it! Besides, this was around the point where "Gabby Gums" was basically making things up. And her apple barrel was pretty full. So there. :razz:

Also, that picture looks like a lot of AJ fanart out there. Go animators!
Crazedwraith wrote:In that AJ was using Big Mac speech patterns and he was being usually vocal.
That was actually very good, and I loved it. Goes to show that both were rather deeply upset by it all. AJ was pissed, and Big Mac was showing himself as the eldest in telling them off. Excellent little bit.

Speaking of which, that whole segment (beginning with them being shut out at Fluttershy's until they're back in the clubhouse) was scored beautifully. I cannot give William Anderson enough credit for what he does on this show, and that part just sells it. The BGM has really been top notch lately and added a lot to the emotions of the various scenes, and this one is no different. I felt my heart breaking for the three little fillies as they were being ostracized by all of Ponyville. I can't wait for the Pony BGM crew to put that segment up.

So all in all, a good episode. On another note: did it make sense that Cheerilee let it go as far as it did? Well, no. But you see, the story, acting and overall emotional feel of what it brought about was so great that I just didn't care that Cheerilee should (would) probably have stopped it sooner. I can let my suspension of disbelief go because the storytelling and emotion were good enough I didn't care. This show can do that, and I love it for that.

Finally, my thoughts on some of the earlier episodes I don't believe I commented on:

Dragon Quest
A very good Spike episode. And I felt they handled things well. Spike's pain over not knowing his past, and Twilight's desire to help him (and sadness that she couldn't) felt very, very real for me. And yeah, maybe Rarity and Dashie kinda caused it, but that felt genuine. They do all love Spike, even if they kind of take him for granted, and that happens. I felt they showed it well: at the start they were kinda taking him for granted, making light of his feelings and all (hey, maybe they consider him more Pony than Dragon themselves?). But when faced with actually losing the little guy they realized how much he truly means to them and were dead set on not letting that happen. Very good emotional undertones there.

Hurricane Fluttershy
Another good Fluttershy episode (is there any different?). You feel her pain and see the baggage of her life of low self esteem, and I like how they handled it here. See, it wasn't her just being nervous again like normal: after all, her other bouts of confidence (and this was pointed out by RD) were in service of others, and her being the only one present (or at most, her friends needing her badly and she stepped up to the plate). This, performance in front of a crowd, was different. She didn't much like it in "Green Is Not Your Color" and she didn't really 'overcome' it in that episode; her growth was in another area entirely. So it felt right for her to be afraid. Also, for the last part, I do like that they went against the common trope that Fluttershy's last-minute surge would help them break the record. It didn't, but it was just enough to get the job done. Finally, Rainbow Dash showed some real character growth here as well. She knew that, without Fluttershy she could break the record (this was before all the ponies got sick) but that was less important because her friend was feeling bad and that was RD's main concern. And again, on the day of the event, she wanted to desperately get the job done, period. Record or no record. And when that happened, she was thrilled at that success (and that her friend overcame her fears and pulled through) and didn't even give Spitfire's "didn't break any records" comment a second thought. Very nice for our Dashie.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

'Fluttershy has hair extensions'

'Pinkie Pie has a (drug problem)'

Brilliant

I'm sure you all saw the Nyan-Dash art on the wall of the CMC clubhouse

Dammit this show is good
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Great episode, really enjoyed it. And for all those people who insist Celestia is a troll and an evil dictator - she doesn't censor the press, even when it involves an embarrassing story about her.

Incidentally, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom each got their own episodes this season, but Scootaloo hasn't. Poor Scootaloo. Not interesting enough to have her own day in the spotlight.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Revy wrote:And for all those people who insist Celestia is a troll and an evil dictator - she doesn't censor the press, even when it involves an embarrassing story about her.
That's all part of the plan.

And Scootaloo could easily have an episode. Probably about her inability to fly.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah I've waxed lyrical about my idea for a Scootaloo episode before. Or rather an RD/Scootaloo one. RD teaches Scoots to fly but she still doesn't excel at it. And becomes depressed because she'll never be like her awesome idol. RD reassures her that even if she's not exactly like RD she's still awesome. And uses the rest of the mane six of examples of awesome ponies who are not RD. Then they go Scootering together. cue credits.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

I maintain that Rainbow Dash is unaware of Scootaloo's existence, except as 'that annoying orange thing that hangs around with rarity's and AJ's sisters'.

But yeah Scootaloo needs an episode.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Netflix adds My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic to the instant Streaming section today and Netflix recommends instantly adds it to "Our 10 Ten Recommendations for you"

What does it MEAN?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Mr Bean wrote:Netflix adds My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic to the instant Streaming section today and Netflix recommends instantly adds it to "Our 10 Ten Recommendations for you"

What does it MEAN?
That Netflix wants you to experience the magic of friendship?
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

One day, Diamond Tiara is going to get what's coming for her:

http://niban-destikim.deviantart.com/

:D
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Mr Bean wrote:Netflix adds My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic to the instant Streaming section today and Netflix recommends instantly adds it to "Our 10 Ten Recommendations for you"

What does it MEAN?
It means that Netflix has magical mind reading powers and can grant any of your video viewing based wishes.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ok, so finished new ep and initial thoughts...
Have to say, while it was fun, silly and had it's moments. It seemed by far the most "Filler" ep of the season.
The two things I think got to me was that, one, after establishing that Canterlot is right next door, suddenly it takes two days to get their by train...
Also the ending was very much NOT what I expected, and not in a good way. Spoiler
Instead of it being Pinkie, or each of the other cooks, the eater of the cake turned out to be Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Rarity, which all seemed very Random.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Personally, I was thinking it would be someone like the conductor, the moose (being someone else in disguise or something), or Pinkie eating stuff in her sleep.

Also, it kind of bugs me that Big Mac was obviously straining to lift a simple cake on his back and that at the actual competition the judges didn't even taste the winning entry before slapping a blue ribbon on it.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Rossum wrote:Personally, I was thinking it would be someone like the conductor, the moose (being someone else in disguise or something), or Pinkie eating stuff in her sleep.

Also, it kind of bugs me that Big Mac was obviously straining to lift a simple cake on his back and that at the actual competition the judges didn't even taste the winning entry before slapping a blue ribbon on it.
Yeah there was that... If it had been JUST The mane six trying to carry the cake, you could have kept all the various jokes and stuff.. But putting BigMac in there? Either hes gone soft, or the cake was several hundred pounds :P

And the ending, did seem a bit rushed. They arrive, Judge slaps ribbon, Celestia shows up, roll credits.
I can think of a few things that could be snipped from the show to add another 40 or 50 seconds to make the ending a LITTLE better then that.

I think what I was most bummed was the fact that the train was NOT going to a new location, but just going to Canterlot.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Or maybe Big Mac is like Superman and either Mascarpone, Marzipan, or Meringue is his version of kryptonite.

Big Mac: Ugh... proximity to ornate Italian cheese and whipped egg whites... sapping strength. Must make it to train so nopony discovers my weakness. Then recharge... with apples!

Besides, you'd think they'd have a cart or something to carry it on to make sure it doesn't fall instead of plopping it on someponys back.

Hmm, when Twilight was covering it with a protective spell the Cakes were looking at her funny. I suppose in a world where the Want-it Need-it spell exists then there could be concerns putting magic on stuff to make them look better than they really are.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I liked it. It was a fun, silly episode and those are always good. Nothing really serious or heavy or anything (well, as serious and heavy as MLP gets anyway) but that doesn't need to happen every episode. Nothing wrong with some good, clean fun.

Also, for the record and to those who had any treasonous thoughts doubts about Applejack as Perfect Pony from last week, I will note that of the guilty parties of the Mane Six, AJ did not succumb to temptation despite her clearly licking her lips at the cake earlier. So there. :razz:

Also I liked the ending where Celestia had target lock on that cake, especially in light of the gag in last week's episode. Nice callback there. :D

lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

Really entertaining episode. loved the references to Master Piece Theater mysteries,and other movies. This episode really brings to question how many of the shows references are understood by the original target age group. Also is this perhaps a prequel to last week? The cake Celestia was eating in the other episodes photo looks a lot like the yum cake.