The OotS Thread II

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: The OotS Thread II

Post by Rogue 9 »

Solauren wrote:Actually, why bother with speak with dead or trying to get someone to talk to them.

Durkon can planeshift to the afterlife, and just go find them himself.
Because he'd have to physically search an entire infinite plane to do the finding.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

They were able to find Vaarsuvius on the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing easily enough- it only took a few hours.

If they were really committed to doing this, and had as much time as they needed, I think the party could find a way- Plane Shift, then convince some entity on the CG afterlife plane to assist in getting the message across. But it would take a lot of time and resources, and they don't have as much as they'd like of either.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Simon_Jester wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Would that technically be necromancy though?
Actually, "necromancy" means speaking with the souls of the dead- that's what the Greeks called it. The idea that it can be used to summon the spirits of the dead for combat, or to animate dead bodies, came later as a sort of memetic creep in modern fantasy literature.
Actually the memetic creep happened well before the advent of modern fantasy literature. During the High and Late Middle Ages the terms "necromancy" and "nigromancy" (black magic) were sometime used interchangeably and it was believed that the dead spirits summoned by necromancy could accomplish a wide variety of magical feats such as revealing the future or driving someone mad.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Solauren wrote:Actually, why bother with speak with dead or trying to get someone to talk to them.

Durkon can planeshift to the afterlife, and just go find them himself.
Because he'd have to physically search an entire infinite plane to do the finding.

I'm sure once on it, it would be trival to cast 'Summon Monster' to bring over the appropriate type of celestial, fill them in on the situtation, and have everything divinely fast-tracked.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Durkon. Convincing epitomes of Chaotic Good.

Yeah, that plan can't fail :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember how his attempt to parley with humans in OtOotPCs went? And he was speaking to lawful types, too.

Or maybe they should ask their own CG member to help. Namely, Elan. Flawless idea, can't fail! 8)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Durkon can bring other people with him, like Haley.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Wonder how long before they go looking for V?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

So... Is that kind of vulgar joke, or the statue has hidden purpose for lulz/extra obscurity?
Zanfib
Redshirt

Post by Zanfib »

I'm thinking statue.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Seconded. OOTS may be humorous, but it's usually for a purpose.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Furthermore, it's outright stated that the target of Speak to the Dead can not lie. Be obfuscating, yes, but not lie or refuse to answer. So it'd make much more sense if the answer actually meant something, rather than just being silly humor.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The corpse isn't lying; it's creatively misinterpreting the question.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ That's how I read it. Granted the statue thing may ultimately be correct, but that is certainly the face value and from the looks of Roy and Durkon, they realize they screwed up and allowed that wiggle room.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Anguirus wrote:^ That's how I read it. Granted the statue thing may ultimately be correct, but that is certainly the face value and from the looks of Roy and Durkon, they realize they screwed up and allowed that wiggle room.
They also committed the cardinal error of speak with dead. You can't ask a follow-up question dependent on one you asked before. The corpse doesn't absorb new information, and therefore doesn't remember what it's already been asked, nor how it responded. Each answer is independent of the ones before.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Well that was fun. Secret, but fun.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Zanfib wrote:I'm thinking statue.
A bit to obvious, I'm guessing a terrain feature, two hills next to each other known by a nickname.
Grand Moff Tim
Redshirt

Post by Grand Moff Tim »

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

"You are going to make me search his dry crumbly assbone aren't you?
"Yup"
Awesome :lol:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, it turns out it wasn't quite the statue :D
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Shouldn't the fact the the elder Draketooth has been dead for 20+ years form a break in the chain from the black dragon, and have STOP the Familicide?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

From the looks of the family tree in #842, there was some intermarriage of cousins a few generations after Draketooth, and since dragonkin have long lifespans it could be that Draketooth's half-dragon parent was still alive.

Edit: Or the master of illusions and deceptions could have left behind a fake corpse.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

This is an illusionist, so yeah, there could me more here then meets the eyes.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Indeed, I am so far somewhat disappointed in the degree to which there has not been more than meets the eye. Granted that many of the high-level illusions were being maintained continuously and have faded out, but you'd think Girard would have created some more permanent deceptions and misdirections in the area, besides just putting an illusory wall over that one entrance and making his home pyramid invisible.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

^ I think part of this is yielding to the sheer necessity of getting on with the damn story. Though I expect a few epic twists and turns.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com