A New Joker and...

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Ender, I'm impressed. I really didn't see a way to make the Riddler work in the Nolan-verse your way could actually work.

Fanboys, give it up. Catwoman and Robin don't work in the Nolan-verse. The only reason you're hyping a Catwoman-Batman relationship is because it exists in the comic. There's no reason for Batman to feel a romantic attraction to a fucking jewel thief in a custom. Talia would work better, because she could have the same goals as he does, just more extreme measures so they could be enemies that respect each other. I'm not sold on that being a good idea, but it would tie into themes of love, family loyalty, and do the means justify the ends. Those would at least work in a Nolan film.

Bane I could see as a kind of mirror Batman. A man born in hell instead of with every advantage, who has developed his mind and body to be the master of his circumstances. Hes the head predator of the jungle instead of the protector, a man who has used the same dedication and gifts as Bruce Wayne to achieve amoral, selfish goals.

What I want to see is not one villain or another shoe-horned into a plot, but the third installment of a trilogy. No bending of the world or personality to suit fanboy, but a real continuity and progression of the story, its themes, characters themselves.

Just keep up the quality of the writing and I'll be a happy camper.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

First of all, I would be perfectly content to leave this movie as the last one. Unlike Begins, there are no plot threads waiting to be resolved. Bruce gave up his public acclaim, he lost Rachel.... essentially, he lost everything but the ability to be Batman. Which is kind of a good note to end the story on.

But since I loved the movie, I'm also perfectly willing to think of an idea to turn it into a trilogy.

Would someone like Riddler or Mad Hatter work just one movie after Joker? I think we've had quite enough 'mad, playful' criminals for a while, thanks.

To those who say Catwoman would be a bad villain, I ask why? Batman as we left him in TDK makes a great ending note, but not so great an on-screen character. No, if there's to be a third movie, I want him to be asking himself 'why bother?' in it. Why bother protecting a city that loathes you? Oh, it's so easy to justify intellectually, but how long can he take it? Take being the Dark Knight, with no other real life? He has no hope of it ever ending, and even if it did, what would he have to look forward to? Nothing. The Joker saw to that.

Catwoman provides an answer to that question. A wrong one, but surely a tempting one for someone in Bats' position. She is not merely love, she is temptation. The temptation to be human, instead of a hero.

(Admittedly, I'm going mainly off Batman Returns, and bit of Wiki here. I'm not a comic book reader)

Throw in a gentleman thief, Penguin, and have him be the other seductive side of crime. The polished, civilized side that can offer Bruce a rest, if only he'll look the other way on a few little things....

The trilogy can end with Batman not only being the Dark Knight, but being committed to it. Beyond such temptations. A true Dark Knight, not just an angsty one. A movie that could elevate him, on a personal level, to true heroism.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
Fanboys, give it up. Catwoman and Robin don't work in the Nolan-verse. .......
What I want to see is not one villain or another shoe-horned into a plot, but the third installment of a trilogy. No bending of the world or personality to suit fanboy, but a real continuity and progression of the story, its themes, characters themselves.

Just keep up the quality of the writing and I'll be a happy camper.
quite right. first figure out what themes a third movie should deal with, THEN figure out what criminals whould best suit those themes

for me a big question is what is the state of batman himself ? has the deaths of Dent and Dawes caused Bruce to abandon batman even temporarily? or does he throw himself even more into the role of Batman. Does he still keep to his morals of not killing criminals?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I like Faqa's idea if a third movie should go ahead, which I'm still not sure of. While Catwoman doesn't strike me as a good choice, there's something to be said for getting Wayne to accept who he is, what he needs to keep doing and cement his role in Gotham. Consider TDK to be the ESB of the series with the downer being something to address just as Luke had confidence and faith issues.

Just no Robin or other lame shit. Nolan has stated he has no interest in stupid comic fan wishlists and Robin or Mr. Freeze etc. are just not going to work. No third movie is better than turning the Heat of comic book dramas into something camp.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Something interesting could probably be done with Catwoman for a third film, but I really wouldn't want the Penguin to be added as well, if only because it would seem like a pretty big retread of Batman Returns.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"